Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Unimpressed posted:

Please to mac for money.

There is no world in which porting the game to Mac is a successful investment. It would be a badge of honor though, and I do feel like I've let some people down by not having a mac/linux/toaster version. I am actively building my next projects in Unity so they'll run on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Should I buy neo-scavenger @%50 off?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

resistentialism posted:

Should I buy neo-scavenger @%50 off?

I liked it.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Sproggiwood is 50% off (also 50% off on iOS and Android)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/311720/

and Caves of Qud is 10% off!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/333640/

(Why do I have many games on many platforms released as a hobby :gonk:)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Transcendence is also 50% off if you want to try your hand at a 2D spaceship roguelike that has actual inertial space combat (as opposed to FTL).

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Whats the go with this incredible discounting

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also dungeons of the endless is 66% off

i got it and am now dying, a lot. any pointers?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Single lines are best, that way you can funnel monsters into choke points and keep your heroes fighting together. If you need to branch, keep choke points.

Watch your heroes, don't be afraid to pull them out if they're taking too much damage

Place heroes on structures before advancing into a room, this will grant you bonus resources based on some stat they have.

Powering rooms is vital, it is what keeps enemy spawns down.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

You can also put a hero in an unpowered room to suspend spawns there. It's a neat little trick for the later floors when power gets scarce

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

alarumklok posted:

You can also put a hero in an unpowered room to suspend spawns there. It's a neat little trick for the later floors when power gets scarce

This. Doing this is probably one of the more important parts to succeeding in the game.

As for the goon asking about neo-scavenger: Yes.

Longer version: You can pretend to be retarded for one check in the game. Also you can fight other hobos for their shopping bags which are an important commodity early on.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

I wound up picking up Dungeonmans on the sale and that game is pretty great. The systems have just enough depth without being ToME level and it looks fantastic. I just rolled my first Psychomancer and Jesus Christ this class seems busted in the best way. Kicking off walls may never get old. He's only level five so it's only a matter of time until hubris or just suicidal curiosity spell his inevitable end.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
I just bought Dungeonmans and I don't know what to name my continent.

Hardest roguelike ever.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

alarumklok posted:

You can also put a hero in an unpowered room to suspend spawns there.
:aaaaa: holy poo poo

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

steam says ive played the game for 10 hours and i did not know that so thanks

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
It's Thanksgiving, so I'll be streaming some Elona on and off all weekend. Playing it every year is the tradition, streaming is new.

https://www.twitch.tv/playdungeonmans

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

madjackmcmad posted:

Steam Thanksgiving Sale is happening, I know everyone in here owns 10 copies of Dungeonmans but if your bitch rear end only has like 7 or 8, you can fill the gap for an unprecedented 50% off. That's literally taking food out of my unborn (and unconceived) children's un-mouths, you vultures.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/288120

http://store.steampowered.com/app/288120

link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/288120

If I had either
A] Money
or
B] A way to pay online,

I would be on that like white on rice. (Or maybe brown.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Samizdata posted:

If I had either
A] Money
or
B] A way to pay online,

I would be on that like white on rice. (Or maybe brown.)

You should probably find me on Steam then. So there.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The Curious Expedition is pretty fun. Also accurate to Victorian times:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

madjackmcmad posted:

It's Thanksgiving, so I'll be streaming some Elona on and off all weekend. Playing it every year is the tradition, streaming is new.

https://www.twitch.tv/playdungeonmans

Been thinking about your game, any chance it will run under wine on the mac? Have you heard from anyone doing it?

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Pumpkinreaper posted:

I just bought Dungeonmans and I don't know what to name my continent.

Hardest roguelike ever.
Australia. It's the roguelike of continents.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

Unimpressed posted:

Been thinking about your game, any chance it will run under wine on the mac? Have you heard from anyone doing it?

I've done it. Look at my post history for details. Works great.

e: actually I might have posted about it in the Dungeonmans thread, not this one.

e2: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558729&perpage=40&pagenumber=40#post439769191

korora fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 28, 2015

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

MrWillsauce posted:

Australia. It's the roguelike of continents.

Roguelikest you mean.

Also I keep getting messages that I notice something secret is in my environment or whatever, I try using the look key (t), but I'm not sure if I'm using it right. I'm assuming I just look around with it and see if anything pops up/hit enter on a square I think has something?

Until my 7th dude, I didn't realize that the skill panel had an arrow that led down to more skill trees. For a while I thought Psychomansers just came with two unique skills.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Actually, since Australia is not set in a tile grid, you'll find that it is more accurately categorized as a rougelite.
:goonsay:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Actually, since Australia is not set in a tile grid, you'll find that it is more accurately categorized as a rougelite.
:goonsay:

No, no, roguelikes are more properly termed "Australialikes".

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

korora posted:

I've done it. Look at my post history for details. Works great.

e: actually I might have posted about it in the Dungeonmans thread, not this one.

e2: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558729&perpage=40&pagenumber=40#post439769191

Sold! Also bought Sanctuary RPG while at it.

e: For those of you who are thinking of doing this too, I had to first install msxml3 and dotnet40 via winetricks BEFORE installing the game. I did this the second time. First time I installed the game and it never loaded and winetricks failed installing dotnet40 so I had to start again. Otherwise, it seems to work fine.

Unimpressed fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 28, 2015

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Also I keep getting messages that I notice something secret is in my environment or whatever, I try using the look key (t), but I'm not sure if I'm using it right. I'm assuming I just look around with it and see if anything pops up/hit enter on a square I think has something?

Until my 7th dude, I didn't realize that the skill panel had an arrow that led down to more skill trees. For a while I thought Psychomansers just came with two unique skills.

Wall bump in the area to look for it. If you spend time near where you first get the message, eventually your hero will figure out where it is and the tile will be marked, along with something like "Nice try, secret door!"

Glad you're liking the Psychomanser! I welcome your thoughts on his style, it's certainly one of the more esoteric movesets.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Imagined posted:

The Curious Expedition is pretty fun. Also accurate to Victorian times:

I really like The Curious Expedition. I like the way each adventure is pretty short (sometimes VERY short if it all goes wrong) and how you create a new narrative each time.

Also how often you end up an insane cannibal.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
My favourite ever game of Curious Expedition ended with all my human companions dead and me penniless and the least famous explorer. I was riding a loving velociraptor and had a giant tortoise and a second velociraptor following me around. We owned the poo poo out of a bunch of dinosaurs and recruited a cool lizardman, who also died, before I found the final pyramid and returned home as an awesome as gently caress dinosaur-wrangling turbo warrior with zero sanity and a shotgun.

Curious Expedition owns.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

:siren:

What do?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Seven League Boots if you don't have any.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
"Evolution" is also a pretty good wish if you already have the boots.

There is also a cloak that makes you immune to the magic rain that happens but i forget what it was called.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

You should probably find me on Steam then. So there.

Yes, I know I sent you an email back, thanking you, but I wanted to do so publically. So...

Thanks for contributing to the deaths of Gaz, Necromanser and Zag, Wizardman. Their short and agonizing lives would not have happened without your kind help!

(Also, someone else that has played Enclave? Say it isn't so!)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Clever Spambot posted:

"Evolution" is also a pretty good wish if you already have the boots.

There is also a cloak that makes you immune to the magic rain that happens but i forget what it was called.

Except it doesn't. It slows down baseline corruption (which is negligible) but doesn't really do much for full blown etherwind, iirc. Fairy hats are pretty good wishes, put it on before you got to bed so you don't lose your good mutations to creepy dreams. Many of the symptoms are more good than bad anyway.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 29, 2015

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Ragnarok :unsmigghh:

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

dis astranagant posted:

Except it doesn't. It slows down baseline corruption (which is negligible) but doesn't really do much for full blown etherwind, iirc. Fairy hats are pretty good wishes, put it on before you got to bed so you don't lose your good mutations to creepy dreams. Many of the symptoms are more good than bad anyway.

I can't figure out a way to type this that doesnt read as sarcastic but i am legit envious of your encyclopedic knowledge of every roguelike.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Maybe wizard isn't the right class for me...

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
I've cleared ADOM many times but I'm not sure ever with a wizard. I am sure I lost a high level (30's?) wizard to the old fat finger a direction key while in a hallway casting magic missile.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

This is on a randomly rolled high elf necromancer.

All I know is I've heard good things about the book near the bottom.

edit: I'm sad now.

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 29, 2015

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
By the way, don't buy Skyshine's Bedlam. It has a cool as gently caress concept with one of the worst combat systems I have ever seen. Incredibly disappointing to see an awesome concept turned into poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

madjackmcmad posted:

Glad you're liking the Psychomanser! I welcome your thoughts on his style, it's certainly one of the more esoteric movesets.

Personally, I can never resist the fist, so I've played a LOT of Psychomansers. I've always found it a strong mastery set, particularly for single-target damage and mobility, but the real strength is how incredibly it synergises with certain other masteries.

Dungeon Dervish, for example, turns you into a wrecking ball at level 1. With a few points in Psychomanser abilities you can one-shot champions and even bosses. It also fills in the gaps in the Psychomanser's multi-target options, with the Decimanser's Dance doing about 250 bleed damage/turn :stare:

My only criticism of the Psychomanser would be that a couple of bits are kind of underwhelming. I assume that Nothing is Impossible is an escape ability, but enemies occasionally ignore the mirage and go straight for you. The Hymns are a bit fiddly as well in how you have to spend a turn activating the stance, then letting the ability cool off, then activating the stance ability. I usually just get up to Red Rivers then leave it on, unless I need to destroy some walls.

In terms of what's just broke, Deep Rolled The Thunder will destroy any wall, even, say, the ones for the Inner Sanctum of Temple levels! Also, maybe it's supposed to, but Seize Opportunity seems to hit twice.