Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Today in Caves of Qud I learned that steam created from evaporating water with fire is very hot, lethally so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
I just had a serious flashback. I was bitching about the item durability in Pixel Dungeon making the game significantly less fun, and then I had this sudden remembrance of the horrible feeling when my favorite claws broke. Pernangband/ToME2 weren't my first roguelikes. I played the poo poo out of Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon 2 back in like 1999 or 2000. That was also the first roguelike I beat, not Dredmor or ToME4. I think it's also the reason I found thangorodrim.net and Angband variants. Or maybe Home of the Underdogs led me there separately.

And I didn't even put it on my list because I'd forgotten about it. I am a truly wretched human being.

I watched some video of a speedrun and it seems like it has probably held up fairly well, too.

Also gently caress item durability. Worst mechanic ever.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CFox posted:

Hey Jordan do you have a timeline of when you'll get to the top 10 of the list? I was hoping to get some good recommendations before the steam winter sale end on January the 2nd.

Probably the 27th, maybe 28th.

I'm going to maybe knock out another group tonight, probably nothing tomorrow, and then hopefully finish over the weekend.

FYI I won't be around to actually give out gifts and stuff until later tonight but I added people and may be able to pop in earlier than expected during a quiet moment.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Today in Caves of Qud I learned that steam created from evaporating water with fire is very hot, lethally so.

I think it's actually been nerfed since earlier versions, too.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Much like roguelike games have evolved, I'm happy this thread has evolved from its roots as a 5-10 page 'what is a roguelike' argument center :v:

(the answer is everything. everything is a roguelike)

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I like this thread and look forward to the next one. Merry christmas roguelike thread.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
I'm quite glad that people can post about games that are very loosely considered roguelikes, or even generally not considered one and not get poo poo on

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I think slapping an inappropriate label on every slightly difficult indie game to drive sales with a certain demographic is dumb and cynical, but the definition argument upsets the people who just want to play those games and I've got no beef with them.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I like all of you people even the ones who think FTL is all rng. Happy Holidays!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I like everyone in this thread except the people who think Nethack is good. Happy holidays, except to them!

I kid, I kid. You weirdoes have a happy holiday too

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I hate all of you.

Except the ones that post. Y'all's good in my book.

Dammit, now I want to spend my short winter vacation on trying to build a Metroid roguelike again, instead of on more productive things like making updates for the Avernum LP.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Angry Diplomat posted:

I like everyone in this thread except the people who think Nethack is good. Happy holidays, except to them!

I kid, I kid. You weirdoes have a happy holiday too

But... Nethack is good...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
My Christmas wish is that everyone finds a better game than nethack.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ive never played nethack

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Stop the nethack hate you're making me cry :negative:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
We've graduated from "what is a roguelike" to "is NetHack any good". I guess this is progress?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Awesome! posted:

ive never played nethack

Unless you want to immerse your self in a world that runs on 80s nerd references and obscure item interactions, don't.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sorry to kick that off I was going for an "anime is blood" thinger.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: and every single title that goes beneath $1 on Steam sales! Kill me!

Only after you turn off Steam Guard and give me your login details...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Joyful Non-Denominational Winter Holiday, my Goony pals!

(Yes, even the ones that like Nethack, too.)

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
For those who like nethack (asking seriously) what do you like about it? Comparing it to something like DCSS, I don't see where it's better except it's more "free" in what you can and need to do.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Chakan posted:

For those who like nethack (asking seriously) what do you like about it? Comparing it to something like DCSS, I don't see where it's better except it's more "free" in what you can and need to do.

Item interaction. Also by far the best version of blessed/uncursed/cursed items, the watered down version of which we get now is usually either 'haha its stuck to your butt!' or 'it's bad don't touch it!' or 'there's a minus by the number!'

The combat is dreadful, but the sheer range of stuff and things you can do is awesome.

No other 'modern' roguelike has even attempted to tackle a similar level of environmental interaction, the closest I can think of is Dwarf Fortress and that's way off on another planet. Qud has a good amount of silly interactions, and you notice a lot of people love them and bring them up in QudStories (tm).

It has a lot of problems these days, but I'm still waiting for another semi traditional roguelike that gives me a wider vocabulary to interact with the world beyond 'punch monster' or 'punch monster harder with sparkles'.

Pity I seem to have burned out on it, I used to have a yearly christmas tradition of vegging on some classic roguelike, but none of angdomhack appeal to me much now :v:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Chakan posted:

Well, I once had a friend that stashed a dead troll in his backpack to eat later, just to have it reanimate later and instakill him by tearing the back of his head off...

Highblood
May 20, 2012

The fuckton of ways to die appeals to me, compared to DCSS which I feel only kills me when I run into a stronger monster I wasn't prepared for. A monster in nethack that I've prepared for will still destroy me sometimes because it has some bullshit equipment. I love that. I also very much enjoy the huge variety of item interactions and ways to approach the same goal. I love that it will absolutely destroy me at the first sign of complacency, comparing again with DCSS which protects me from that with it's autoexplore that stops at the first sign of danger. I also love trying to break the game (I'm the weirdo that enjoyed pudding farming... yeah). Nethack still surprises me sometimes with the bullshit it throws at me, while DCSS generally does not (it happens but not nearly as much as I would like) and I also feel like nethack constantly forces me to adapt to its bullshit (mostly in the early game, as late game tends to be pretty much the same for everyone), while DCSS feels very samey to me in the early game but I don't know about later as I've never put in the time to go super far. Finally I must admit that nethack is far from perfect, and I do have some pretty thick nostalgia goggles on. It's the first roguelike I played and I've always stuck with it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

A game like Nethack with a modern interface and about 6-8 flexible, universal actions that you can do to any game object would be cool.

Something along the lines of examine / attack / talk / use / combine / separate / get / put, and anything is fair game. Examining things gives you hints of what will happen if you use another verb on it. You want to pray, talk to your god. You need glass shards, attack an empty potion bottle. Convince a monster to be your ally by talking, get them and use them to equip them to the pet/ally slot, then combine them with a different monster to make a better one. "Put" functions as give, drop, throw, or a physical shove according to context.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I had a game of nethack that was going perfectly. 2 wishes, coaligned altar and a +3 longsword and dlvl4. Then a water nymp took my sword and i fell down a trap door. Other roguelikes just dont have the same level of gently caress you

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Isaac posted:

I had a game of nethack that was going perfectly. 2 wishes, coaligned altar and a +3 longsword and dlvl4. Then a water nymp took my sword and i fell down a trap door. Other roguelikes just dont have the same level of gently caress you

Those exact words are exactly how I feel about it, I couldn't have said it better

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Kly posted:

I just got Dungeonmans and it's awesome. Does anyone have or know of any sprite packs for your character? I found a Zelda one on the community hub and its pretty good but I want more.

I don't think there are are others. At least I didn't see any. I ended up making a few myself for the hell of it. Mostly so I could play a psychomanser that is literally Goku.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

please share the goku sprite

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Chakan posted:

Honestly? (Of course speaking only for myself...) A lot of it is a combination of nostalgia and familiarity. I've only ascended half the roles, but I more or less know the game like the back of my own hand. Sometimes I'll have to look up obscurer things or stuff I forgot, but after playing Nethack a lot as a kid I've memorized a good chunk of Dylan O'Donnell's spoilers just by playing and looking them up again and again.

So? It's an easy thing to fire up when I have ~15 mins to burn, if I die a ridiculous early death well "that's nethack! :v:", if I get a good start in the Mines I'm pretty sure I can get to the Castle if I don't do anything stupid. And if I don't, it's usually because the game found a really nice way of loving me over :D

I like the inventory mechanics, the combat is OK although the game has a few weapons you'll more or less want eventually, though which ones vary by class. I like the variety of enemies and all the crazy special attacks, and how unpredictable an experience this can generate. (And going back to the first point, how this presents challenges to my knowledge of game mechanics!)

And like you said, in Nethack there's usually a fair many ways of skinning a cat, some roles even go so far as to make this a gimmick to winning the game.

And I like all the dumb jokes and references. :unsmith:

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Thoughts on Downwell? Just saw it while checking out my discovery queue, seems interesting

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
It's good if you like short action-y roguelikes. The hitboxes are kind of goofy but they err in your favor -- I would say grab it if you like games with the same pacing and gunplay as Nuclear Throne since it's 2 bucks (?)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'd be willing to play nethack again for a bit if someone will log on to NAO and beat sokoban for me....any takers???

The item interactions clearly show a lot of love put into them, I do appreciate it. Nethack is the sort of game that would introduce an item and have special messages for every other item/monster/potion/etc interacting with it, that part is cool.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Awesome! posted:

please share the goku sprite

I put it on Dropbox for you. Also included: Piccolo, Raditz, and some unused shark enemies that Madjackmcmad posted the sprites for in the Dmans thread.

E: The DBZ poo poo is from that DBZ RPG on DS. It's kinda washed out compared to the rest of the game and all the sprites have wonky looking ghosts because I don't really know how to recolor things properly nor do I care to learn.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I've been really liking Nethack4 for being nethack without as bad interface or as many interface deaths. The other variants change too much. That said it's still nethack so I got a character pretty far and don't really feel like finishing, just like in NAOhack.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Emong posted:

I put it on Dropbox for you. Also included: Piccolo, Raditz, and some unused shark enemies that Madjackmcmad posted the sprites for in the Dmans thread.

E: The DBZ poo poo is from that DBZ RPG on DS. It's kinda washed out compared to the rest of the game and all the sprites have wonky looking ghosts because I don't really know how to recolor things properly nor do I care to learn.
thank you they are really good :)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

hey you programmer nerdos, i bought your stuff. got some sproggies and some mans :getin:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Happy holidays, Rogue likers!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Highblood posted:

Thoughts on Downwell? Just saw it while checking out my discovery queue, seems interesting

it's really fun and has tight gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

What's the roguelike thread consensus on Dungeon of the Endless? I've been digging it so far - once I figured out the slow rhythm of the game, it felt like it opened up for me - but I'm curious about what goons think of it. (I'm also trying to decide if I want to go for the crystal edition upgrade)