Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Hydra Slayer is the roguelike I would most like to play (because determinism) but absolutely cannot bring myself to play (because a shitload of the documentation is just Engrishy enough to make it impossible to tell if you've understood it correctly or not.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ã…Â, cħ gøài- <Ecl8

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

No way, nethack's absolutely has to be to be the cockatrice.

Exactly what I thought when I saw that post but I was like "eh I've only ascended once, what do I know"

sstrickl
Feb 16, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So what's the most iconic monster from every roguelike? Off the top of my head, probably something like:

ToME: probably some kind of oozemancer-enhanced unique

I'm surprised no one has said patchwork trolls, just for those random times they show up in Bill's lair.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nethack is definitely soldier ants, IMO.

ToME4 has a bunch of options, but I'd vote for High Tempest Urkis, dude is a spectacular difficulty spike and is something like #3 on the kills leaderboard.

For DoomRL, it's probably lava.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cogmind: scavengers :v:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

do I need a numpad for ADOM? :( that suuucks

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cogmind: scavengers :v:

I was thinking ARCs because those are some bullshit.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

tote up a bags posted:

No, not unless something had changed since I last played about 4 months ago.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

I was thinking ARCs because those are some bullshit.

ARCs destroy your runs, scavengers destroy your control over your temper :v:

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C
Haha, made that post right before sleep, and wake up to exactly what I was expecting. Roguelike thread never fails to deliver :P

I was also thinking iconic places (including screenshots, which was the harder part to collect--ASCII only), and items!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kyzrati posted:

I was also thinking iconic places (including screenshots, which was the harder part to collect--ASCII only), and items!
If Crawl's aren't Lair and Triple Swords, I will start a one-woman riot.

Spelunky, Jungle and the Shotgun.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Crawl's item might be Acquirement scrolls in terms of sheer infamy.

Nuclear Throne's signature location is the Scrapyard for sure ("Nuclear Throne is rated T, unless you can beat Scrapyard in which case rating pending"). Spoiled for choice on weapon, but think I'd have to go with the Triple Machinegun. You sort of know exactly what Nuclear Throne is getting up to with it.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Screw lair, literally any other branch is more interesting thematically

I'd probably say the abyss, since I remember getting abyssed early being one of those defining things if learning to play Crawl for me

Nethack should be sokoban, clearly, everyone wants to relive that in another game right? :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

hito posted:

Infamous isn't iconic, though. It doesn't really tell you what Crawl is about.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

hito posted:

Nuclear Throne's signature location is the Scrapyard for sure ("Nuclear Throne is rated T, unless you can beat Scrapyard in which case rating pending"). Spoiled for choice on weapon, but think I'd have to go with the Triple Machinegun. You sort of know exactly what Nuclear Throne is getting up to with it.

Not the Super Plasma Cannon or the Double Minigun? :saddowns:

Play Nuclear Throne as YV, get the extra 20% fire speed ultra mutation, equip a double mini, watch all your ammo disappear in under a second.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DoomRL can have Hell's Arena and the Shotgun, given that so much of a normal game is spent using the shotgun as the world's angriest sonar system.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Infamous isn't iconic, though. It doesn't really tell you what Crawl is about.

in that case the crawl level should be The Maze

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

tote up a bags posted:

ctrl+m to open the noteye menu, open adom specific options, turn on experimental features, open the menu back up and hit k for keybindings and then toggle through the movement methods for whatever one you want. i think the main problem with VI keys is y for movement overlapping with y for confirming actions but what can ya do

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

DoomRL can have Hell's Arena and the Shotgun, given that so much of a normal game is spent using the shotgun as the world's angriest sonar system.
I just want you to know how much I appreciate the artistry of the phrase "world's angriest sonar".

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

ctrl+m to open the noteye menu, open adom specific options, turn on experimental features, open the menu back up and hit k for keybindings and then toggle through the movement methods for whatever one you want. i think the main problem with VI keys is y for movement overlapping with y for confirming actions but what can ya do

poifect! thanks!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

ToxicFrog posted:

Nethack is definitely soldier ants, IMO.

ToME4 has a bunch of options, but I'd vote for High Tempest Urkis, dude is a spectacular difficulty spike and is something like #3 on the kills leaderboard.

For DoomRL, it's probably lava.

DoomRL is the Mancubus for sure.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I'd go with Kranach, the raider lord for ADoM, or maybe Wriggling Mass of Pure Chaos, just for uniqueness' sake.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Shattered Pixel Dungeon: those drat dwarf monks. They can knock your weapon out of your hands. Takes two turns to re-equip (pick up, then equip) only to immediately have it knocked out again.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

VolticSurge posted:

Weird thing is, this is the first time it's happened, as far as I know. Usually things come out in Canada on the US release date, because it's part of the continent and all.

We finally managed to nail down a release date for the rest of the Americas! Deathstate will be out on PS4 in Canada, Central America and South America on May 16th. Totally my fault that it got delayed in the first place, sorry about that. :shepicide:

Still working on getting a patch together that fixes a few bugs, performance issues and some intermittent crashes.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

crab avatar posted:

Exactly what I thought when I saw that post but I was like "eh I've only ascended once, what do I know"

Knowing the end game better wouldn't really impact the choice that much, the enemies there mostly represent tedium rather than danger. Monster cursing your stuff so you have to spend more time on inventory management, so on. There's a couple of dick move types you meet like the Wizard himself or Demogorgon (you usually have to make that one intentionally appear though), but the earliest levels of the dungeon already have things that will randomly poison you to instadeath or shoot pure death rays at you :shrug:

I guess green slimes are a bit of a shock first time, but you're almost guaranteed to have something to fix that problem by that stage. Just gotta know it first! :haw:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

crab avatar posted:

I suspect the majority of roguelike players have never ascended, or only ascended a few times at most and still spend most of their time in the early game. In this particular context, I see nothing wrong with a bias towards the early game in terms of picking out iconic monsters or scenes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I suspect the majority of roguelike players have never ascended, or only ascended a few times at most and still spend most of their time in the early game. In this particular context, I see nothing wrong with a bias towards the early game in terms of picking out iconic monsters or scenes.

Those iconic early game monsters can end your run in a way mid to late game monsters can't. When you die in the mid game it is almost always because you hosed up a lot. In the early game though you have so many fewer options that the monsters just hit so much harder.

Like once you're at Lair in crawl you have a character that could be piloted to a win by a lot of people. The same can't be said for most early game deaths.

For me crawl's iconic area is Zot:5 (or is it only 3 now?). I would also accept the Abyss. I would also accept the entrance vaults.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The Entirety Of Vaults:5 is a pretty iconic Crawl experience, I have to admit.

It's a shame more players don't get far enough to encounter Boris a few times. I hate that rear end in a top hat.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 5, 2017

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ã…Â, cħ gøài- <Ecl8
"Man, I wish other people would suffer as much as me" — roguelike fans

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

crab avatar posted:

We just want other people to have fun too :confused:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

crab avatar posted:

Getting better at roguelikes is basically about finding new, more invigorating ways to make yourself suffer when the old ones start bouncing off of you instead.

So not only is your post correct, but the sentiment is essentially sincere. :v:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Angry Diplomat posted:

The Entirety Of Vaults:5 is a pretty iconic Crawl experience, I have to admit.

It's a shame more players don't get far enough to encounter Boris a few times. I hate that rear end in a top hat.
very few games have made me sweat as much as Vaults:5. The entrance ambush is loving Rough (especially now that they added those dudes that lock staircases, though i heard more recently they changed stairdancing?) but the entire rest of it is you creeping around and knowing you can take on one golden dragon without breaking a sweat, maybe one golden dragon plus a titan, okay, a golden dragon a titan and a fire giant, and oh noooo is that a tentacled monstrosity and a black dragon rounding the corner:gonk:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

hito posted:

nah nah nah

Super Plasma Cannon

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/GridSageGames/status/861066372482121728

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Osmosisch posted:

I'd go with Kranach, the raider lord for ADoM, or maybe Wriggling Mass of Pure Chaos, just for uniqueness' sake.

Writhing Mass of Primal Chaos, isn't it?

Anyway, the only non-unique monster that really sums up ADOM is cats.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Cogmind is cool as hell but it made my brain exhausted very quickly. Seems like a whooole lot of inventory juggling, trying to figure out which parts to take/equip/leave/etc, and with them taking damage constantly so having to juggle them around when they get beaten up.

Seems like there's a lot to learn about how to avoid drawing encounters, stopping enemies from radioing for backing, etc. I like that the game encourages you to avoid encounters but I'm very bad it. You're durable as hell too but even if you get away sometimes it's hard to recover.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Jedit posted:

Writhing Mass of Primal Chaos, isn't it?

Anyway, the only non-unique monster that really sums up ADOM is cats.

Definitely writhing masses of primal chaos, they're the end result of all the corruption that fuels the game's storyline. Cats are a close second. Let's just go with this ancient screenshot:

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Cogmind is cool as hell but it made my brain exhausted very quickly. Seems like a whooole lot of inventory juggling, trying to figure out which parts to take/equip/leave/etc, and with them taking damage constantly so having to juggle them around when they get beaten up.

Seems like there's a lot to learn about how to avoid drawing encounters, stopping enemies from radioing for backing, etc. I like that the game encourages you to avoid encounters but I'm very bad it. You're durable as hell too but even if you get away sometimes it's hard to recover.
If you've just started but are familiar with roguelikes, make sure to turn on Tactical HUD in the options. It makes the UI even more number-heavy (don't want to overwhelm those new to the genre...), but you can take advantage of the in-label item ratings to more quickly decide what to bring with you.

In the end you'll still want to learn some of the avoidance or deescalation techniques, though.

(Also hopefully you know about the 'a' key, which automatically manages what you pick up and attach in a lot of cases? It makes any obvious decisions for you, anyway. Clicking on yourself when standing on a part does the same thing.)

Kyzrati fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 8, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Playing Curious Expedition and... I'm digging it! It's like someone made a Renowned Explorers version of Desktop Dungeon with RNG combat. Lots of risk vs reward evaluations, resource management, and figuring out where would be safest to explore. Sometimes there are bullshit deaths, sometimes you know it happened because you're an idiot who messed with a shrine and angered ancient gods.

Also oh my gosh, the art is so good. Pixel art, but amazing to look at:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Kyzrati posted:

(Also hopefully you know about the 'a' key, which automatically manages what you pick up and attach in a lot of cases? It makes any obvious decisions for you, anyway. Clicking on yourself when standing on a part does the same thing.)

Ah, apparently the auto-equip was turned off for me (maybe it's off by default) because clicking myself just moved things to my inventory. I do recall a tutorial message about that now, I figured I would just mess with it later and then forgot about it entirely. Didn't know how smart the auto-equip was so I'll make sure to find that next time, that should help considerably.

I did find the tactical hud which helped a bit. When it comes to items there's just a LOT of them and very limited inventory so learning what is/isn't useful for what situations is just going to be a big part of learning the game I think. So many different kinds of scanners, and scanner upgrades for that matter. It seems like I need a scanner to tell if a staircase leads to a side area or the next floor even? Also I have to constantly fight the urge to use grenade launchers on everything.

One question, is there somewhere on the default screen that indicates your current mass/support limit? I know you can click on yourself to bring it up but I didn't see that info elsewhere. I'm probably just blind, though there's a LOT of text on the screen and stuff is easy to miss.
Actually on that note, is there a way to zoom in a little more? I'm already on the biggest font size (using tiles) but I could go for a little bigger.