Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

Playing Curious Expedition and... I'm digging it! It's like someone made a Renowned Explorers version of Desktop Dungeon with RNG combat. Lots of risk vs reward evaluations, resource management, and figuring out where would be safest to explore. Sometimes there are bullshit deaths, sometimes you know it happened because you're an idiot who messed with a shrine and angered ancient gods.

Just like in real life, the Scottish guys always turn out to be alcoholics with a penchant for cannibalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Just like in real life, the Scottish guys always turn out to be alcoholics with a penchant for cannibalism.

And the English feel so much more at ease after slaughtering local fauna and native peoples.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

OutOfPrint posted:

And the English feel so much more at ease after slaughtering local fauna and native peoples.

It is fascinating to me how casual the racism displayed in the game is - I mean, it's played for parody/as part of the whole "go to deepest africa, the natives are dangerous savages, steal their things" setting, but it is utterly unashamed in having the natives speak in gibberish and so on. So it's mildly uncomfortable? But in a way that makes you look at yourself and how you view other cultures, so... :shrug:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/RiskofRain/status/861672962004406272

Beep boop Risk of Rain two will be happening

(is it a roguelike)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/RiskofRain/status/861672962004406272

Beep boop Risk of Rain two will be happening

(is it a roguelike)

Holy gently caress :woop:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I soured on the original pretty quickly and was skeptical before clicking the link but the same projectile dodging and mobility of the original in 3d? Yeaaaah I'm in.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

To continue the trend of cool announcements, Cogmind just left alpha and entered beta. There's new stuff, endings, QoL changes, etc etc etc. I'm hyped!...and still waiting for it to get onto Steam. C'mon Kyzrati don't keep me waiting too long! ;)

e: Also right before I'm a complete insensitive twat: for serious, congratulations on leaving alpha! That's a huge amount of work put into this beast, and I love it, hence the annoying reminder to keep working on it. Do rest, celebrate, and break out some drinks for this milestone!

e: How not to play Cogmind:

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 9, 2017

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Strafe came out today too. Do we finally have a good roguelike fps?

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
Apparently no.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Maybe when Space Beast Terror Fright gets finished and released and has inverted mouse and isn't fifteen dollars for basically one level.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

The Strafe reviews are pretty positive so far.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i haven't seen any positive reviews of strafe yet.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Speaking of roguelike FPS games WASTED has been getting some updates lately (optimizations, new game plus, and iron sights are the big things). I've not played it with these updates yet but I enjoyed the game before enough that I figured it was worth mentioning.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Clever Spambot posted:

Speaking of roguelike FPS games WASTED has been getting some updates lately (optimizations, new game plus, and iron sights are the big things). I've not played it with these updates yet but I enjoyed the game before enough that I figured it was worth mentioning.

Also, the framework for modding support, and a handful of inbuilt example mods including one that disables the S.O.B.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

baram. posted:

Ars Technica liked it but it seems like you'll either love it or hate it.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I somehow forgot to mention the modding support. I didn't even know about the example mods but its cool that disabling the S.O.B is an option since some people didn't like it.

As someone who likes being stealthy a lot in that sort of game I found that the S.O.B sort of forced me to semi speedrun by only crouching when i detected an enemy nearby because otherwise I risked spending too much time on one floor. Which I didn't really mind once i got used to it but it took some adjusting. The whole super strong enemy hunting you that you can only realistically survive by juking away from them works really well in a roguelike/lite environment IMO.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I can only hope things come full circle and Lover's Lab starts making mods for WASTED.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

baram. posted:

Destructoid and Gamespot - the first two I could find at the time - both liked it, the rest are "interesting but flawed". Few outright bad reviews.

I've since bought and played it but it has horrible hitching issues for me, and a friend of mine who's played far more of it absolutely hates it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Most professional critics seem to think Strafe is pretty good, but professional game critics aren't exactly known for being particularly discerning. The consensus of the general public is far more negative, it seems, with most of the complaints centering around the poor gunplay and uninspired environments.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I think I've received more updates from Tangledeep at this point than any of my other Kickstarter games. Dude is a machine!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm on the edge of my seat for so many Kickstarters right now. Anxiously awaiting news from Tangledeep, Jupiter Hell, that turn-based Mechwarrior, not to mention the still under development Caves Of Qud and Cogmind. Hopefully I can finish Sproggiwood (on normal) before one of them hits 1.0

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Weedle posted:

Most professional critics seem to think Strafe is pretty good, but professional game critics aren't exactly known for being particularly discerning. The consensus of the general public is far more negative, it seems, with most of the complaints centering around the poor gunplay and uninspired environments.

Strafe is getting murdered on its Steam page, I'm amazed. All the complaints I've read seem pretty thought out and solid though. Really disappointing. I watched a stream earlier and found myself cocking my head a little. I do want to try it eventually.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Edit: double post.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Weedle posted:

Professional games critics at least play a game for a reasonable length of time...

Most of the complaints seem fair, though, and some are potentially bug related (lack of monster sounds). Certainly as it is right now, if there was no hitching I'd play it and find enjoyment in it without being blown away.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

One question, is there somewhere on the default screen that indicates your current mass/support limit? I know you can click on yourself to bring it up but I didn't see that info elsewhere. I'm probably just blind, though there's a LOT of text on the screen and stuff is easy to miss.
Actually on that note, is there a way to zoom in a little more? I'm already on the biggest font size (using tiles) but I could go for a little bigger.
Sorry for late reply--the Beta release took a lot out of me, and the effects of this concussion from three weeks ago refuse to go away, ugh... but I *want* to stare at my IDE all day!

The mass/support limit is shown right at the top of your parts list, e.g. [22/40]. It also has a red indicator next to it when you're overweight. (And you can't go to a bigger font without a bigger screen--it automatically chooses the largest size your screen will support. If you're not using it already, the ASCII version is easier to read at small sizes, as is the Terminus font.)

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Weedle posted:

I don't think it will be very "roguelike" but I'm much more looking forward to GibHard myself.
It just looks way better in my opinion. Not to mention it is being developed by a guy that works at Blizzard (I'm totally not biases here lol).

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Kyzrati posted:

Sorry for late reply--the Beta release took a lot out of me, and the effects of this concussion from three weeks ago refuse to go away, ugh... but I *want* to stare at my IDE all day!

The mass/support limit is shown right at the top of your parts list, e.g. [22/40]. It also has a red indicator next to it when you're overweight. (And you can't go to a bigger font without a bigger screen--it automatically chooses the largest size your screen will support. If you're not using it already, the ASCII version is easier to read at small sizes, as is the Terminus font.)

Ah yeah there's the Mass right there, I knew it had to be somewhere obvious. The Ox2 threw me off, thought it meant 0x2 like a hex display :v:
I guess the screen solution is to buy a bigger monitor again :downs:

Take it easy with that brain injury anyway. Gotta give the Beta a spin later today, I got distracted by Prey which I had entirely ignored after that first trailer ages ago, I was not expecting it to be a verbatim System Shock 3 (made by Arkane no less).

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yesss, Wasted is back and not abandoned? Time to play again again again!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

Strafe is getting murdered on its Steam page, I'm amazed. All the complaints I've read seem pretty thought out and solid though. Really disappointing. I watched a stream earlier and found myself cocking my head a little. I do want to try it eventually.

It was pretty confusing they flogged nostalgia in their marketing so much and then put in a reload button.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FuzzySlippers posted:

It was pretty confusing they flogged nostalgia in their marketing so much and then put in a reload button.

Half-Life 1 had reloading. v:shobon:v

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You expected a tram ride intro from the game? Their angle was definitely Quake with other 90s fast paced shooters but heavily on the Quake.

A retro-ish game is better if it evolves the gameplay, but finding the key features to preserve is what makes a Shovel Knight. Limited weapon capacity and reloading seems off that mark.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 10, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Reloading in specific I don't mind; it's an extra thing to track during a fight, which can catch you off-guard if you aren't expecting it. It factors into weapon balance and fight tempo, encourages accuracy, and its relevance can be tweaked by adjusting weapon rates of fire and clip sizes. Plenty of knobs to adjust there to make sure that it's contributing to making the game more fun rather than just being there for the sake of "realism".

Limiting weapon capacity (and its corollary, having all weapons be generalists because you can only ever have 2 at a time) is a problem though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

And a comprehensive well-crafted storyline and level design, both extremely missing from Strafe.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
well, half life isn't really the kind of game they were trying to emulate anyways. From all the trailers and marketing, as well as visual design and most of the(albeit, imo, failed) gameplay design, it definitely seems like they wanted to be much more of a Quake.

I don't care at all about Strafe not having a story, I care about the gunplay and repetitive enemies/levels.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Half Life 1 was also like the anti-90s shooter at release. It broke from the conventions of the time especially in that Gordon Freeman is supposed to feel weak. You have more realistic weapons and have to outwit the troops with their snazzy AI rather than just slaughter them with crazy guns.

The fantasy in Doom/Quake/etc is all about empowering the player to feel like an only vaguely human wrecking ball making GBS threads out damage with fantastic weaponry. Half Life is Die Hard to Doom's Commando. Reloading and limited weapon inventory aren't really part of that player fantasy.

Strafe is already in difficult territory by going roguelike/random which removes a significant 90s shooter feature of level flow. I would have been pretty reluctant to chop away at anything else considering their marketing campaign.

Bunker Punks also has limited weapon inventory which feels pretty pointless there too.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 10, 2017

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Freeman sure could carry a whole lot of guns, though.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Using new weapons as ammo-limited powerups is an entirely valid gameplay idea but the problem is the default guns just don't give the player the sort of feedback you're looking for from a game like this.

It's frustrating as it feels like they're 80% of the way to a decent experience. I'm not looking for roguelike Doom - I can do that already with randomly generated Doom maps and DoomRL wads - but the gameplay teasers made me think of a cross between Devil Daggers and Serious Sam set in Quake/Doom environments. Lots of cool movement and clever weapon usage. Unfortunately there's some key elements that really work against it; the "feel" of the weapons as mentioned, the performance issues, and crucially the sound design.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

rt4 posted:

I'm on the edge of my seat for so many Kickstarters right now. Anxiously awaiting news from Tangledeep, Jupiter Hell, that turn-based Mechwarrior, not to mention the still under development Caves Of Qud and Cogmind. Hopefully I can finish Sproggiwood (on normal) before one of them hits 1.0

What's the mechwarrior one?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Thirsty Dog posted:

Professional games critics at least play a game for a reasonable length of time...

Could have fooled me; the number of reviews I've seen where it's obvious the reviewer didn't play for more than half an hour, and in some cases where it's dubious that they played the game at all, is pretty high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

rchandra posted:

What's the mechwarrior one?

HBS is making a proper Battletech game set in some periphery backwater that's never been used before and won't be relevant after the game's over.