Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

doomrl is also lenient enough that someone can do an angel of berserk run pretty early on without being an expert. for those not in the know, angel of berserk restricts the character to only using melee weapons in a game where a good chunk of the enemies have ranged attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
So Rogue Empires sent out Steam keys to itch.io buyers and thanks to that I got back into it and... Well I'm not really liking it. I haven't really gotten into the game itself because of the UI. Now the UI is pretty nice by roguelike standards. You can do everything with both keyboard or a mouse and in theory it's all good. But the problem is the graphics. They are also pretty nice by roguelike standards but have this huge problem with contrast. Much of the text is in colors that are nigh unreadable against the background and stuff like items are really hard to spot on the ground and some background objects look like they are items but aren't. This was the problem I had with it back when I first bought it on itch.io and why I never really got into it.

The routing is also really bad with mouse controls and it's hard to tell where you can and can not walk.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Slay the spire has been getting some hype lately and I don't think it has been mentioned here.
It's a deck building roguelike that tries some new things compared to dream quest and monster slayers.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
To follow up on DoomRL, i've been playing it on hurt me plenty (whatever is next up from easiest) and managed to complete the arena with 4% health left, so now i've got a pretty bitchin' rocket launcher. Granted i'm only a few levels in (work laptop, playing on breaks) but its super accessible.

I worked out corner shooting on my own, strafing is new info but I assume its just "move when you think they'll be trying to shoot you".

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

HMP is often easier than ITYTD since the latter gives much less xp early on and takes longer to drop good weapons.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dogstile posted:

To follow up on DoomRL, i've been playing it on hurt me plenty (whatever is next up from easiest) and managed to complete the arena with 4% health left, so now i've got a pretty bitchin' rocket launcher. Granted i'm only a few levels in (work laptop, playing on breaks) but its super accessible.

I worked out corner shooting on my own, strafing is new info but I assume its just "move when you think they'll be trying to shoot you".

basically if you've just moved then any shots fired at you from an angle that's roughly perpendicular-ish to the direction you just moved will have a higher chance of missing as long as it's an actual projectile. so if you're facing down an enemy then scooting towards them in diagonals or shifting to the sides will improve your chances of not getting hit.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

dis astranagant posted:

HMP is often easier than ITYTD since the latter gives much less xp early on and takes longer to drop good weapons.

I got a chaingun and a rocket launcher by level 3, so it seems good so far. Then again I have no idea if they're "good".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

dogstile posted:

I got a chaingun and a rocket launcher by level 3, so it seems good so far. Then again I have no idea if they're "good".

Every weapon type and most variants are good, there's very little wasted design space in DoomRL.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Axu with another solid update to v0.6.1 https://cynapse077.itch.io/axu-rl

quote:

The first one is the implementation of "Hands" in the place of a "weapon" and "offhand" slots. The first usable arm contains the main weapon you wield. All the other ones can be attacked with as well, given your Dexterity stat passes a check upon attacking. Having four arms now gives you three extra chances to deal damage when you attack an enemy, which is very exciting! The remaining issue is two-handed weapons only take up one spot for now. I'll get around to that implementation with the next update.

Second is the addition of various difficulty options in the place of a permadeath toggle. Two difficulties (Adventurer and Scavenger) do not end the game upon your character's death. Instead, you are teleported either to your home base (more on that later) or the starting screen. Higher difficulties will have more punishing results of death, such as the loss of items, money, XP, or even stats. I hope these make everyone happy with their own playstyles. I know permadeath isn't everyone's cup of tea, and I want to cater to the RPG fans too. The game will be primarily designed around Rogue mode though.

Third has multiple segments to it. The base is a discover-able area which acts as your "home". You will find a "Return" tome here, enabling you to return whenever you wish. Followers can be sent here to make room for new ones, or if you get tired of their crap. Speaking of followers, you can now trade with them, and specify what gear they wear (if they can speak). This makes Mercenaries very powerful tools!

Lastly, mod support continues. I think I'm almost ready to start loading from a "mods" folder instead of forcing the player to edit the game's files directly. I have moved more functionality to Lua, and expanded what items can do from the Json file. The player's sprite is no longer multiple SpriteRenderer components layered on top of each other. Instead, it will merge together all the current textures into a single sprite, which allows me to more easily set a render order for the player. Before, you would always be behind any NPC, even if you are "lower" on the screen. Now, there should be much better sorting. This relates to modding, since I have moved the character's base and equipped item sprites to the data files. You can change the path or layer of any of these objects if you wish. This pipeline will also eventually come to NPCs and Objects.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

DoomRL is so good, but I dislike playing it because sound is so important. It is giving me anxiety thinking about it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SettingSun posted:

DoomRL is so good, but I dislike playing it because sound is so important. It is giving me anxiety thinking about it.

There's an unofficial TTL version that converts the sound cues to text, I think.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Axu with another solid update to v0.6.1 https://cynapse077.itch.io/axu-rl

quote:

Having four arms now gives you three extra chances to deal damage when you attack an enemy, which is very exciting!
I am very excited!

...sorry. That just felt out of place.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SettingSun posted:

Wait it is? I've been playing sound off this whole time.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

dogstile posted:

Oh yeah, it's the only(?) roguelike with sound cues that tell you where the monsters are / what kind of demons you're about to face.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Klaus Kinski posted:

Slay the spire has been getting some hype lately and I don't think it has been mentioned here.
It's a deck building roguelike that tries some new things compared to dream quest and monster slayers.

I watched my roommate ply this last night actually and it looks polished and good, but a but bare on content. There's three floors afaik and it doesn't seem too difficult to get to the third. There are two playable characters, which is a bit slim. I'm going to look back into the game in the summer and see if it's fleshed out. Promising, but not quite there yet.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

dogstile posted:

Monsters make idle sounds that give you cues as to what's in the level and approximately what direction it's in (left, right, or above/below/next to you). There are also sound cues for doors opening/closing, and for monsters being injured/dying (more informative than "you hear the scream of a freed soul!" and vital when firing blind).

SettingSun posted:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's an unofficial TTL version that converts the sound cues to text, I think.

Yep; it works by replacing the sound library DoomRL loads with one that prints the sounds instead. Source code is here, or you can play it online. In text mode it adds an extra row at the bottom for sounds, in graphical mode it puts them in the title bar. I've only tested it on Linux, but it should work on Windows as well. Not sure about OSX, I don't know enough about dynamic library loading there.

If people are actually interested in running this locally, I can upload prebuilt binaries for win32 and linux64, at least.

Now that DoomRL is open source I want to add this as a built in feature, but I need to set up a FreePascal development environment first and :effort:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

If people are actually interested in running this locally, I can upload prebuilt binaries for win32 and linux64, at least.

You would be my hero if you did such a thing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Now that DoomRL is open source I want to add this as a built in feature, but I need to set up a FreePascal development environment first and :effort:

That is indeed very :effort:, at least on windows.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Klaus Kinski posted:

I really like this game but I'm gonna second that it's rather light on content. Some things I'd love to see:

- starting with a few relics in place already so you get a fun deck online quicker, it's very boring to start off with the same defend/slash deck over and over again
- the option to somehow recycle or save or otherwise reuse absolutely hilarious combos you encounter without rolling the dice over and over again

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Chakan posted:

I watched my roommate ply this last night actually and it looks polished and good, but a but bare on content. There's three floors afaik and it doesn't seem too difficult to get to the third. There are two playable characters, which is a bit slim. I'm going to look back into the game in the summer and see if it's fleshed out. Promising, but not quite there yet.

Yeah, this is basically 100% my thoughts.

I'm torn on the enemies just having a few set attacks compared to decks like usual, but then I get dq flashbacks of getting otkd by some rear end in a top hat wizard.

Also not having the enemy type visible on the map is a bit wtf, that's like the entire point of having a map in a game like this.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SettingSun posted:

You would be my hero if you did such a thing.

I'll see about getting it done in the next few days! Going to have to remember how to do windows cross-compilation first, though.

dis astranagant posted:

That is indeed very :effort:, at least on windows.

I do all my development on Linux, but I'd want to be able to generate windows binaries, and I last touched any sort of pascal 20+ years ago, so.

Stupid LD_LIBRARY_PATH tricks may be less elegant but they have the great virtue of already being set up and working. :v:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

I started playing this DOS rl called Ragnarok on an online emulator and I drank a potion that stunned me and it asked me to name the potion so I named it stunshit and it spawned enemies and multiple down stairs (I think) on every surrounding tile and I think this is the way my first ever character dies.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

I blind read a scroll of teleportation and the situation has not really improved. Finally, a new game like Elona

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

DisDisDis posted:

I started playing this DOS rl called Ragnarok on an online emulator and I drank a potion that stunned me and it asked me to name the potion so I named it stunshit and it spawned enemies and multiple down stairs (I think) on every surrounding tile and I think this is the way my first ever character dies.

Oh man, I remember this game. I'm pretty sure you're just hallucinating. You're probably fine.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

What does the Panic button do?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

What does the Panic button do?

It booted me to a command line interface or something which prompted me to hit escape which returned me to the game like this

GOTY imo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

It booted me to a command line interface or something which prompted me to hit escape which returned me to the game like this

GOTY imo

GOTY of what year? 1830? I could believe that.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

where's waldo?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Klaus Kinski posted:

Slay the Spire is great, but echoing everyone that it's a bit light on at this stage (but that's to be expected seeing as it's still in Beta). The game could definitely be lengthened, more character classes would be good (they are planning at least a 3rd at this stage, but I'd like more than that), and more bosses would be good.

On the topic of bosses, one thing that really annoys me is that a certain floor 3 (the last floor) boss is basically a hard counter to certain decks, but you won't know you're facing him until it's pretty much too late.

Still, quite polished in terms of mechanics, and I have definitely got my money's worth.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

GOTY imo

Hey, the monsters are gone!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
So am I. Gone from the local view, but able to see the whole world map... I was not expecting this deeply existential experience from a DOS roguelike about being a viking and eating people

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Panic button is for when the boss is looking over your shoulder.

At least that's what it was in a few old games I've played.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Hallucinating and Panicking broke the render and I wandered around blindly til I died and now my new character thinks she is seven very rich vikings, when she's aware that she exists at all

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:allears:

I love this game, keep going!

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

Hallucinating and Panicking broke the render and I wandered around blindly til I died and now my new character thinks she is seven very rich vikings, when she's aware that she exists at all

I remember playing this game way back in the day. My brother edited the char file and gave himself like 30,000 hp or something crazy. Then he took a boat into this big lake and was one-shot by a sea-monster / kraken thing which left him at like negative 50k hp.

Solid experience.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

Holy poo poo this is amazing. If we ever do another Let's Play Assorted Roguelikes thread this needs to be the headliner.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Games > Roguelikes - What Does The Panic Button Do?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Got back from dinner and decided to play more. Here's me approaching one rat

The rat is dead and I am alive

The single apple on the world map represents the billion gold urns on the local map (in normal gameplay one apple represents one urn or possibly foodstuff)

e: https://classicreload.com/dosx-ragnarok.html here's the browser playable game it was freeware to begin with I believe. hopefully that site isn't mining bitcoins while I play

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

More ADOM if I may. So I'm more or less able to get to CoC consistently with my dumb Orc Barbarian, doing VD and PC and just dipping into SMC for the blanket. Reading the guide, I realise that I'm at the stage I need to be thinking slightly more strategically.

So, firstly, what stage is considered normal for a crowning, and should I do a chaotic crowning or change my alignment first (for a run of the mill run)? What's the best way of crowning short of finding a vault on a level with an altar? Does stomafillia based crowning still work? Is selling Si and saccing gold the right way?

Secondly, does attribute training via herbs still work? The wiki says the following: "As of 1.2.0 morgia and mareilon no longer increase stat potentials." If it works, what's the way to do it, just eat all the morgia I have and play as if nothing happened?

Finally, a meta question, given ADOM has been out there forever and it's super spoilery, should questions about ADOM be spoiler protected as above?

I really appreciate the help so far, it's made the game much more penetrable and I haven't bounced off it for the umpteenth time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

To answer one of your questions, they nerfed herb training hard. You can use herbs to raise their stats to their potential but that is the upper limit. This makes certain builds a lot more deadly since not everyone can max Toughness now.