Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ktan
Apr 15, 2012

Careful.
We don't want to learn from this.
Hey, would anyone be willing to recommend some rogue-lites? I am really enjoying Dead Cells and would like to play some more games in that vein. For what it’s worth I enjoy the platform/action of Dead Cells, Hollow Knight, and Salt and Sanctuary but am more than willing to try turn based games, etc.

Some meta-progression (not necessarily power) would be great. Thanks so much in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ktan posted:

Hey, would anyone be willing to recommend some rogue-lites? I am really enjoying Dead Cells and would like to play some more games in that vein. For what it’s worth I enjoy the platform/action of Dead Cells, Hollow Knight, and Salt and Sanctuary but am more than willing to try turn based games, etc.

Some meta-progression (not necessarily power) would be great. Thanks so much in advance.

Dungreed ain't bad.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
turn-based roguelites are just roguelikes lmao

anyway, if you havent yet played spelunky somehow, that's the granddaddy of the platformer roguelites, probably roguelites in general. i can't think of much else in the genre right now though. downwell, maybe? risk of rain?

ftl started up a bit of a subgenre i think of as ftl-likes. i'm not familiar w the rest of the games in that genre though

there's bunch of twinstick shooters, which started up with binding of isaac, which is either your poo poo or not (poo poo is involved either way, see also piss, tears, blood); i heavily recommend nuclear throne, its a sensory assault in the best way. enter the gungeon is visually similar but very different from both of those games. but, the differences are fairly subtle (boi and nt both are games about trying to kill the enemy before it can attack, gungeon is about dodging bullet patterns and shooting when you can). i've heard good things about monolith, havent really seen or bought it myself yet.

i dont think that's actually it for roguelite genres but i can't think of anything else right now

e: oh wait, desktop dungeons. its a puzzle roguelite. idk if there's anything else like it.

ee im an idiot: dreamquest and other card-based roguelites (or are they more actual roguelikes? i havent played any of these games yet sadly). i hear slay the spire is good?

if you want to dip your toes into roguelikes, i recommend doomrl, tangledeep, brogue, and caves of qud off the top of my head

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 23, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Also Sproggiwood!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tollymain posted:

turn-based roguelites are just roguelikes lmao

They're closer, but I think there's still the distinction of metagame progression that can be a big deal as talked about before ITT. In many ways a newbie playing a 100% unlocked save of Gingeon will have a far easier time than a newbie playing a 0% save, whereas there's no progression system in say Stone Soup or Spelunky (besides tunnels I guess which are more for practice).

Tales of Maj'Eyal is turn-based, but it's got a ton of unlockables, loot transferrance, and death leniency that I'd say puts it in Lite territory (says nothing of quality ofc, TOME is awesome).

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 23, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

In that case, I also recommend One-Way Heroics as a turn-based roguelite.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Slay the Spire is indeed good though I've gotten a bit burned out on it by now and just play the dailies. Waiting for them to release the third character and game mode.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Ktan posted:

- Into the Breach (turn-based mech squad tactics)
- Unexplored (realtime top-down dungeon exploring, exceptionally good level generation system)
- If you're into cardgames the slay the spire/dream quest/monster slayers trifecta are all pretty good in slightly different ways
- Risk of Rain (platformer/shooter)
- Nuclear Throne (top-down shooter)

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I do like Dungreed a lot. It has mouse aiming so it feels more like a platforming Nuclear Throne than Dead Cella does. I just thought the game felt really janky when I first played it, but that is because controller support is really half baked and shouldn't be used. It is way better than Rogue Legacy (which I've also liked and cleared from scratch multiple times)

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Stop messing around and start with slash'em like me

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Neurolimal posted:

there's still the distinction of metagame progression

Plus the actual core gameplay style.
Rogue-lites are basically games from some other genre (action platformer, twin-stick shooter, spaceship management sim...) that take the ideas of random generation and permadeath from roguelikes. Into the Breach is very turn-based but solidly in "lite" territory, because its base genre is a puzzley squad tactics game and not a dungeon-diving amulet-snatching rpg. Same for those two different somethingsomething explorers games that I don't know the difference between (and haven't played) -- their base is some kind of party-management exploration board game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I dislike metaprogression but I don't think it disqualifies a game genre-wise. Crawl and Nethack have player ghosts, which are basically reverse metaprogression, and I think in Nethack you can even take their stuff?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Let me tell you about the definition of what a roguelike is and isn't...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Johnny Joestar posted:

pretty much. it was a neat idea when it first came out but a lot of people, myself included, really cooled on it after a while after realizing that it's not all that great for a multitude of reasons. i've said it before but dead cells pretty much just ate its lunch entirely and made a strictly better game in every way.
I still would rather play rogue legacy over dead cells because you have better air control over your character and also there's much less visual clutter in fights

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The metaprogression in Rogue Legacy ruined the game for me completely. It was god awful.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

IronicDongz posted:

I still would rather play rogue legacy over dead cells because you have better air control over your character and also there's much less visual clutter in fights

Try Dungreed then.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I dislike metaprogression but I don't think it disqualifies a game genre-wise. Crawl and Nethack have player ghosts, which are basically reverse metaprogression, and I think in Nethack you can even take their stuff?

There's definitely wiggle room for interpretation. -personally- I dont count ghosts just for the fact that [most] games lack a reliable way to find a ghost nor decide what equipment carries over to the ghost. Also you have to fight them so they're fairly indistinguishable from a monster with said gear (sometimes more dangerous).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This occasionally happens in ADOM now, and you can take their stuff. I think in ADOM it happens after you've had a string of early deaths, to give you a bit of a leg up.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Jedit posted:

This occasionally happens in ADOM now, and you can take their stuff. I think in ADOM it happens after you've had a string of early deaths, to give you a bit of a leg up.

I think ADOM ghosts are pretty brutal, if you can beat one early game you probably don't need a leg up.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Jack Trades posted:

Welcome to /r/roguelikes!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

From my Steam library:

Take that, internet :smug:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That reminds me, I need to play more NEO Scavenger.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

In Nethack the ghost spawns on top of a pile of the dead player's entire inventory, but most of it is cursed so you have to deal with that somehow. Ghosts themselves aren't dangerous and don't use any of the dead player's equipment against you, but I can't remember if vampirized dead PCs do for example.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Jack Trades posted:

The metaprogression in Rogue Legacy ruined the game for me completely. It was god awful.

it was designed very badly. iirc, putting points into certain meta systems would scale up the game difficulty, while putting points into other systems did not. this was not explained to the player and I don't think you could roll back or turn off the meta unlocks after you turned them on, unless you nuked your save file

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it was designed very badly. iirc, putting points into certain meta systems would scale up the game difficulty, while putting points into other systems did not. this was not explained to the player and I don't think you could roll back or turn off the meta unlocks after you turned them on, unless you nuked your save file

This was only true in the sense that some classes were flatly better than others (e.g. Dragon was godawful) and thus unlocking the bad classes meant you were less likely to have good characters to choose from at the start of the game.

The character-independent difficulty (power and number of enemies, mostly) only scales up when you beat the game.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Hooray for IVAN updates, now to v0.52 https://github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases

quote:

Features:
* Enhanced scaling/stretching graphics using XBRZScale code!!! (only in "zoom in (l)ook mode")
* New Mind worms!!!
* Sound files from IVAN3D, plus other new sounds!!! (utilizes more advanced config file syntax than before)
* UT vault added.
* Headless ghosts.
* Outlined graphics from IVAN3D.
* Option to display the turn number on log messages.

Tomb of Xinroch, now with MORE evil:
* Buffed both Xinrochs.
* Buffed Xinroch's grave keeper.
* Slightly better rewards for bosses.
* One more vault for Catacombs.
* Maze on ghost Xinroch's level made more interesting.
* Tweaked dwarven gas chamber.
* Added two hidden vaults to TX.
* Added a small TX shop.
* Plus other slight tweaks to TX.

Shields:
* Shields also give AV.
* Shield strength modifiers adjusted.
* Shield materials added.

Fixes:
* New bugs added!!!

Plus:
* Zero!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Shields give armour now?? Dang, time to try the "wield two shields and kick everything" build again

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Does IVAN still have that dumb "difficulty scales with the gear you have on when generating a new floor" thing? It made things really tedious since you'd just unequip and drop everything, enter a new floor, then go back and pick your poo poo back up.

Also: :toot: Finished the last character's past, got lead god, finished buying all the unlocks, and no-damage'd Lich in one day :toot: Bit disappointed that there's no cheevo or anything for that last one, but still pretty satisfied. All I've left now is the Sorceress run, Daisuke, and unlocking the rest of the elevators (and beating Boss Rush after).

For all my griping ITT, I still really like Gungeon, and I cant wait for the AGaD update to drop.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'm still working on the Hunts :negative:

At least I finished the loving Shambling Round one, that one took me several months of off-and-on play. I've also filled out almost the entire ammonomicon. I'm good and ready for that update.

I'm not sure if new IVAN still does the scaling thing, but if it does, it's got to be much subtler than it used to be. My best character to date wore a heavily enchanted armour of great health for almost the entire game, and I never bothered taking it off.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
It still has the scaling but you cant really game it since it applies any time a monster spawns at all, which happens all the time even outside of level generation.

Dont drop all your poo poo before going down a level anyway thats stupid.

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda

IronicDongz posted:

Yea same here. I loved Rogue Legacy and thought I would love Dead Cells but I could not get into it. The control just didn't feel right, despite everything else being up my alley.

Unrelated (or maybe very related?) here are a bunch of nerds (myself included) at GDC!

https://blog.roguetemple.com/2018/03/25/roguelike-developers-meet-during-gdc-2018/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/PlayUnexplored/status/978644392176246784

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

zirconmusic posted:

Yea same here. I loved Rogue Legacy and thought I would love Dead Cells but I could not get into it. The control just didn't feel right, despite everything else being up my alley.

Unrelated (or maybe very related?) here are a bunch of nerds (myself included) at GDC!

https://blog.roguetemple.com/2018/03/25/roguelike-developers-meet-during-gdc-2018/

I don't get why people say Rogue Legacy has lovely control, yeah. I think it works really well. Maybe your character moves a bit too fast horizontally, and it makes people think it feels cheap?

I really like Dead Cells' controls, don't get me wrong, but it's obvious they were going for totally different feels in both games. It's like saying "Mario in Mario 64's movement was a failure, but Link in OoT actually succeeded at making good controls!" They're not two iterations of the same attempt at all.

Re: Unexplored: Man, I wish the controller support for that game was better. A lot of really awkward things and a few UI bugs mildly irk me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

John Lee posted:

I don't get why people say Rogue Legacy has lovely control, yeah. I think it works really well. Maybe your character moves a bit too fast horizontally, and it makes people think it feels cheap?
I mostly think it has to do with momentum. In Rogue Legacy you have perfect air control and can reverse direction on a dime, which coming from a Megaman(MMZ in particular) background is exactly what I want. People more used to Mario/Sonic/most Castlevania games probably want more momentum in their jumps.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i am really bad at rogue legacy but i always thought it had very good controls

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Different controls make more sense for different kinds of games. Mario-style games have relatively sparse and predictable environments: few enemies, and those enemies move/attack in straightforward ways. Having relatively heavily-committed actions helps maintain a reasonable level of challenge. As your environments get more chaotic, you need to give the player more tools to cope with unexpected things happening. That can be done with e.g. a dodge roll that can be used to interrupt other actions, but it can also be done by just making the controls more responsive.

I'm not a good enough game designer to say why you should do one of those over the other, but Rogue Legacy clearly chose the latter approach -- it has a dash move but IIRC that's for fast movement more than it is for dodging.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Was there much discussion of this year's 7DRL Challenge? I did a little feature on three entries that I thought were particularly neat, and I was wondering if anyone else had ones the wanted to highlight. I usually stick to the browser-based entries.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

!!!

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Reading nethack wiki like its an cheap romance novel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dry, nonsensical, laborious descriptions of people getting hosed in ridiculous circumstances?