Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kanos posted:

A system where a powerup is mostly good except randomly it's terrible and can ruin your run seems desperately unfun and awful.

The dev was pretty 'No, it is you who are wrong' to several threads on the steam forum telling him the system was bad and not good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its the devil number page

on that note anybody in here played any of the more recent builds of demon? yknow, the smt-inspired roguelike people mention now and again. i keep trying it every so often but i get caught in analysis paralysis way too often lmao

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
My last impression multiple years ago was it does the big variety of theory crafting at character creation without complex math thing I play roguelikes for really well but that I couldn't get past floor 2 and never would

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I think someone itt cleared that beta on their first attempt lmao

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
How does wizard of legend coop work? Can two people play on the same computer?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

It's local only, so you have to play on the same computer.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You share Everything, and you both can equip the same thing. Things found in the dungeon can only be purchased / picked up by one person, but any health pickups apply to both.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Incidentally the coop interface is really nice, each player has half of the screen devoted to their UI so they can open menus and stuff at the same time. I play a bunch of couch coop games with a buddy of mine and taking turns waiting for the other person to sort through their loot or whatever sucks rear end.

When it comes to Wizard of Legend coop my only complaint is that the game lag spikes pretty frequently, at least on PS4, not sure about other platforms.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its always funny to me when a dev cant/wont get their 2d game running smoothly on a ps4

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Kanos posted:

It's local only, so you have to play on the same computer.

Turtlicious posted:

You share Everything, and you both can equip the same thing. Things found in the dungeon can only be purchased / picked up by one person, but any health pickups apply to both.

drat that's ideal, can one player use kbm snd the other an xbox controller

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drat that's ideal, can one player use kbm snd the other an xbox controller

Yes, p. much the perfect couple game.

e: Also it's a feature complete game.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Yes, p. much the perfect couple game.

e: Also it's a feature complete game.

Hot drat cant wait to get into a fight later tonight

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
In honour of the devil's page, please someone tell us about Hellmut.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

Also for those who want to play online, Parsec is fast enough that every local coop game might as well be online now if your internet is OK.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, the amnesia scroll that continuously wipes your map is really annoying; I was using the aspect that gives you more max health per room you visit and was trying to capitalize on that.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Yeah some of the nega-scrolls in Immortal Redneck are just awful, either because they make it hideously tedious like that one or because they can just screw you over completely. They really killed all my interest in the game.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

a_good_username posted:

Also for those who want to play online, Parsec is fast enough that every local coop game might as well be online now if your internet is OK.

Unless you're an unfortunate soul without Win10. :smith:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Wamdoodle posted:

Immortal Redneck has more highs than lows, I feel, and isn't getting bitch slapped by RNG part of the roguelike experience?

That's kinda how I feel about it after 6 hours, none of the bad scrolls I've gotten have felt like game-enders, just challenges to work around. And the good scrolls can have such absurdly powerful effects that eating some bad ones almost feels balanced. I understand the frustration but personally I enjoy the uncertainty.

Totally random but I guess Thomas Biskup found my curations on Steam and wants me to review ADOM now so... that's a thing. Literally all I know about it are the horror stories I've read here.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

just say no

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Too Shy Guy posted:

Totally random but I guess Thomas Biskup found my curations on Steam and wants me to review ADOM now so... that's a thing. Literally all I know about it are the horror stories I've read here.

:laffo:

I can't wait.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

so basically pills in BoI?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

kinda yeah, if one of the pills turns all the text in the game into egyptian hieroglyphics

which is funny but makes it hard to tell what's going on

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Pills in BoI are more like potions in a traditional roguelike -- the first one of each type is unidentified, but you're likely to find several of each type in a run and everything after the first will be identified.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Much more extreme effects though (both good and bad). I like Immortal Redneck a lot but the scroll system is kind of frustrating because the good scrolls (which are much more common than the bad ones, or the ones that give you both a bonus and a drawback) are often extremely fun and powerful to the point where it's basically never a good idea to NOT pick one up unless you're like about to face the final boss and already 100% confident in your run. There's not really any strategic decision involved in choosing when to pick them up so the small chance of grabbing one that cripples your run just feels like a punch in the dick. I'm not really sure how I would fix it because removing the bad scrolls entirely wouldn't really be ideal either -- gambling feels good, it just feels bad when you lose lol. Maybe some guaranteed way to purge negative scroll effects at a cost during a run would work, or something, but the game doesn't really have a ton of resources that you could use for that.

Idk, maybe at the end of a floor you could have the option to activate some really hard challenge room that, if successfully completed, got rid of all your curses? That way you still have to live with them for a little while but they're less likely to be run-ending. Not perfect but I'm just spitballing here

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Does Immortal Redneck have good support for modding?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

goferchan posted:

Much more extreme effects though (both good and bad). I like Immortal Redneck a lot but the scroll system is kind of frustrating because the good scrolls (which are much more common than the bad ones, or the ones that give you both a bonus and a drawback) are often extremely fun and powerful to the point where it's basically never a good idea to NOT pick one up unless you're like about to face the final boss and already 100% confident in your run. There's not really any strategic decision involved in choosing when to pick them up so the small chance of grabbing one that cripples your run just feels like a punch in the dick. I'm not really sure how I would fix it because removing the bad scrolls entirely wouldn't really be ideal either -- gambling feels good, it just feels bad when you lose lol. Maybe some guaranteed way to purge negative scroll effects at a cost during a run would work, or something, but the game doesn't really have a ton of resources that you could use for that.

Idk, maybe at the end of a floor you could have the option to activate some really hard challenge room that, if successfully completed, got rid of all your curses? That way you still have to live with them for a little while but they're less likely to be run-ending. Not perfect but I'm just spitballing here

Dumping gold to purge negative scrolls would probably work, and from a design standpoint would occupy the same place as freezing the pyramid layout: you'd be forfeiting meta-progression for a better shot at beating a single run.

My solution would just be to remove some of the more obnoxious scrolls, like amnesia which really is nothing more than a time-waster. But I doubt there's any consensus with which ones are the chief offenders... I personally like the one that deletes all your weapons except one but that sounds like the dealbreaker for others.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
The problem with BoI's pills is that they're just not very interesting. Their random nature makes it so that if there's a pill that can be useful to help you with a tough room, it might not show up, or only show up once which means when you use one to identify it that's it, it's gone. The benefits are fairly minor while the penalties are just plain annoying.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The biggest benefits of pills are the permanent stat increases.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

goferchan posted:

IMO, it would be cool if there was something like "when you pick up a good scroll, you get a choice between 2 good effects, when you pick up a bad scroll, you get a choice between 2 bad effects, when you get a scroll with upsides/downsides, you get a choice between 2 effects like that"

That way if you get a bad scroll you're still getting dicked in some way, but you have some choice in how in order to soften the blow.

Too Shy Guy posted:

Dumping gold to purge negative scrolls would probably work, and from a design standpoint would occupy the same place as freezing the pyramid layout: you'd be forfeiting meta-progression for a better shot at beating a single run.

My solution would just be to remove some of the more obnoxious scrolls, like amnesia which really is nothing more than a time-waster. But I doubt there's any consensus with which ones are the chief offenders... I personally like the one that deletes all your weapons except one but that sounds like the dealbreaker for others.
Yeah, the thing is the (multiple) scrolls that reduce you to just one weapon in exchange for unlimited ammo until you find another one, more damage, etc. can be quite strong in the right context, but they also make the game way less fun because they take away all the weapon variety. One of the game's strengths is that it has a lot of weapons that feel good to use and are useful in different contexts... throwing that away just feels awful.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The biggest benefits of pills are the permanent stat increases.
Unfortunately now the pill pool is super bloated with poo poo like retro vision, urp, ???, etc that either do nothing or have really minimal effects. I would like to see pills reverted back down to just stat changes, maybe with just a couple of the more interesting types like explosive diarrhea and bad trip.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for as much as i enjoy immortal redneck the scroll system definitely needs to be reworked a bit. i'm fine with the bad effects as long as there's ways to mitigate them. or have certain scroll effects only last for a few rooms, or whatever the gently caress. i don't know. it's like the one single thing about the game that needs work.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Johnny Joestar posted:

for as much as i enjoy immortal redneck the scroll system definitely needs to be reworked a bit. i'm fine with the bad effects as long as there's ways to mitigate them. or have certain scroll effects only last for a few rooms, or whatever the gently caress. i don't know. it's like the one single thing about the game that needs work.

Yeah unfortunately according to a recent AMA the devs said they didn't have any more content for the game in the works and only planned on improving technical/performance stuff. Which is fine, it feels complete, but it's surprising they're not tempted to sell an expansion with like some new weapons and scrolls and a character or 2 considering that apparently the game sold pretty well and then the Switch release just came out and it did well there too.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Apparently this morning there was a patch for Wizard of Legend:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/445980/discussions/0/1696048245843026598/

Its pretty worrying that the first thing they wanted to do was nerf...everything? The game is already hard, I have no idea what they were thinking. Thankfully they have already walked it back: https://steamcommunity.com/app/445980/discussions/0/1696048245844788437/

The two biggest issues with the game as I see it now are:
1. The levels are boring
2. Most of the relics suck poo poo and provide a sub 10% boost to whatever, even the ones that are very specific or have big downsides, and the only way to know what is remotely useful is to test a LOT on the dummies or look at a wiki every time you see an item in a shop.

While its great that patch is being rolled back, the fact that they somehow thought that relics needed to be WORSE is ridiculous and worrying for the future of the game. It really makes it seem like they want items to be practically negligible, which doesn't make sense as it is already a better option 90% of the time to spend your gold on the health potion or upgrading one of your spells. Maybe it is a case of the devs having played their own game so much they have no sense of how hard it actually is.

Semi related, the game would be so much better if every spell had an Into the Breach style window that showed what the spell looked like in action.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Truspeaker posted:

1. The levels are boring
2. Most of the relics suck poo poo and provide a sub 10% boost to whatever, even the ones that are very specific or have big downsides, and the only way to know what is remotely useful is to test a LOT on the dummies or look at a wiki every time you see an item in a shop.

While its great that patch is being rolled back, the fact that they somehow thought that relics needed to be WORSE is ridiculous and worrying for the future of the game. It really makes it seem like they want items to be practically negligible, which doesn't make sense as it is already a better option 90% of the time to spend your gold on the health potion or upgrading one of your spells. Maybe it is a case of the devs having played their own game so much they have no sense of how hard it actually is.

For reference: I've been putting a bunch of runs into it and I'm hardly a god tier player(two wins in 10 hours of gameplay, give or take, with a couple of failed final boss fights).

The levels are definitely boring. The design focus is definitely on the combat system and it shows.

Relics are actually pretty impactful? Even the shittiest and most bland "add damage to element" relics are +12% damage to that element, which is noticeable given that you're machine gunning a million attacks per second all the time forever. The difference between a loaded out run and a non-loaded out run is extreme. Upgrading arcana is often far less situationally useful than buying a "mediocre" relic, depending on the specific arcana, and you can never guarantee that there will be enhanced versions available for arcana you have or want since there's a grand total of 6 enhanced arcana for sale in an entire run. Health potions are something that you should strive to never buy because they have diminishing returns over a run(each one you drink makes the future ones heal less) and spending money on a health potion deliberately sets you back because you didn't spend that money on a permanent power boost.

Once I started actually succeeding at the game it was because I started to minimize my health potion purchases and play on the edge by forcing myself to buy upgrades and earn my health back if I hosed up; this allowed me to have much more powerful runs because I was spending my money on items instead of health potions, and it meant that I still had fully powered health potions if I needed them to recover before the end.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 23, 2018

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Truspeaker posted:

Apparently this morning there was a patch for Wizard of Legend:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/445980/discussions/0/1696048245843026598/

Its pretty worrying that the first thing they wanted to do was nerf...everything? The game is already hard, I have no idea what they were thinking. Thankfully they have already walked it back: https://steamcommunity.com/app/445980/discussions/0/1696048245844788437/

1. The levels are boring

Semi related, the game would be so much better if every spell had an Into the Breach style window that showed what the spell looked like in action.

Hot drat that patch is stupid. Who thinks almost across the board nerfs is a good design idea? There is so much more important poo poo to work out in this game before worrying about spell and relic balance.

Next patch's notes:
-Added failure chance to dash spells
-All relics now have a downside, no change in cost
-Bought arcana overwrite your signature with enhanced version, can no longer charge signature

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

My biggest gripe is the limited selection of signature arcana. It would be great if you could equip anything in that slot even if it meant not getting a charged signature

One other minor complaint is that the elemental weakness system is kind of busted with only three areas. Fire is weak in 2/3 zones and is not even strong in the 3rd

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Kanos posted:

For reference: I've been putting a bunch of runs into it and I'm hardly a god tier player(two wins in 10 hours of gameplay, give or take, with a couple of failed final boss fights).

The levels are definitely boring. The design focus is definitely on the combat system and it shows.

Relics are actually pretty impactful? Even the shittiest and most bland "add damage to element" relics are +12% damage to that element, which is noticeable given that you're machine gunning a million attacks per second all the time forever. The difference between a loaded out run and a non-loaded out run is extreme. Upgrading arcana is often far less situationally useful than buying a "mediocre" relic, depending on the specific arcana, and you can never guarantee that there will be enhanced versions available for arcana you have or want since there's a grand total of 6 enhanced arcana for sale in an entire run. Health potions are something that you should strive to never buy because they have diminishing returns over a run(each one you drink makes the future ones heal less) and spending money on a health potion deliberately sets you back because you didn't spend that money on a permanent power boost.

Once I started actually succeeding at the game it was because I started to minimize my health potion purchases and play on the edge by forcing myself to buy upgrades and earn my health back if I hosed up; this allowed me to have much more powerful runs because I was spending my money on items instead of health potions, and it meant that I still had fully powered health potions if I needed them to recover before the end.

Fair enough. Ive gotten to the third boss fight, but havent actually won yet, so by no means consider me an expert. As it is now, health potions are absolutely a trap even without knowing each one makes the next less powerful (which I did not) because as you said, that is money not spent on permanent upgrades. As far as the enhanced arcana, it seems to be about a 50% chance to be an upgrade for a spell you already have vs a new one, which I have usually found to be the most cost efficient thing to do to get stronger. Particularly if it is an enhancement for the basic attack.

Relics are absolutely very strong when you have a lot, but that is because most of them are +%damage boosts. Its boring, especially when there are many relics that do unique or interesting things, like the one that makes your basic attack kill projectiles, or have another hit, or the one that makes spells have no cooldown for a few seconds when your health goes critical (or the vamp glasses, rip). The should lean into that. Having all those multiplicative damage boosters means that the more you have, the more each one is worth, so yes if you can get to the end with 10 of them you are going to be in the best position you can be. Its the exact same issue with Enter the Gungeon and the bonus health for beating a boss without getting hit - the difficulty curve breaks if you are good enough. The worst part is, you can only choose one relic to start, which means most of them are never going to be worth starting with (or even spending gems on them) over something with a unique bonus, and buying relics to start with is half of the progression in the game.

Its all very fixable, but nerfing everything instead of bringing the weaker things up to par feels real bad. Also, they should just have the numbers in the description, or at LEAST the patch notes, having to guess makes it all the worse.

To be clear, I really like the game and think it is a lot of fun to play. It could be better is all.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

goferchan posted:

Yeah unfortunately according to a recent AMA the devs said they didn't have any more content for the game in the works and only planned on improving technical/performance stuff. Which is fine, it feels complete, but it's surprising they're not tempted to sell an expansion with like some new weapons and scrolls and a character or 2 considering that apparently the game sold pretty well and then the Switch release just came out and it did well there too.

Man I would definitely buy a DLC that added a couple of more characters, a few news weapons/scrolls, and a 4th "Pyramid".

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Tollymain posted:

its the devil number page

on that note anybody in here played any of the more recent builds of demon? yknow, the smt-inspired roguelike people mention now and again. i keep trying it every so often but i get caught in analysis paralysis way too often lmao

I haven't, but I've been waiting for the Matter build, which as it turns out just came out on the 11th! Shortly after I checked it, as it turns out. It was already a pretty solid game, so check it out. (I've also been playing the remake of Strange Journey, so I'm down for demon-nonsense)

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

fun thing to do: look for bad, salty people on your fav roguelike's steam forum

quote:

Human Shop Keeper is OP

Seriously, the sheriff is easier to kill! I want some consol commands to fix this BS. No way the shop keeper hits me 5x in one drat turn, and penitrates 20PV at that too. Crap, utter crap and cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
how do you play RPGs and not know that all shopkeepers are demigods slumming it in human form