Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

how do you play RPGs and not know that all shopkeepers are demigods slumming it in human form

every single steam forum for any game is, without fail, filled with people who are completely braindead and incredibly belligerent about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

me, full of hubris and playing spelunky: ah, i will take these spring boots from this merchant. it will be the perfect crime!

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

This is one of my most treasured memories of Spelunky

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

After about 30 hours in Wizard of Legend I have done everything but the Pride run, which is dumb and I will never do.

It’s a real fun game, but as people have said it needs a lot of tweaks. Level design is boring, a lot of the arcana are downright useless compared to others (like the tunneling dragons in earth), and the boss fights become incredibly easy once you’ve done them a few times. Getting Chaos Arcana also trivializes a lot of the game, so once you’ve got a few of them (especially the charged Distortion Beam) you’re kind of just blasting through everything. The relics are mostly boring and even the cursed items are just “move slower for more damage” or “lose health for a benefit”.

Looking forward to more content though. Might check back in like 6 months and see what they’ve added.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm still used to the OG spelunky gfx, so I'm having trouble parsing what's going on. Was that a teleporter underneath you, that cheerfully sent you into the spikes?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I think he had the teleporter already, descended through a snake pit, blew up the bottom to obtain the pickaxe, saw the ghost coming, freaked out, teleported directly above the spikes, and died horribly. Either that, or he was going for that thing advanced players do to make the ghost spawn diamonds, and it ended before it could truly begin.

My iconic Spelunky moment is being surprised enough by a spider dropping from the ceiling that I pressed "jump" on my controller. While standing in some spikes.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Kanos posted:

Health potions are something that you should strive to never buy because they have diminishing returns over a run(each one you drink makes the future ones heal less)
Wait what the gently caress? I thought they healed based on maximum health or something. Holy moly this is dumb that they never tell you this.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Serephina posted:

I'm still used to the OG spelunky gfx, so I'm having trouble parsing what's going on. Was that a teleporter underneath you, that cheerfully sent you into the spikes?

I feel like they were in the vertical shaft on the left--which usually has a pick axe hidden in a rock at the bottom of it and some good treasure--and to make a quick escape from the timeout ghost, tried to teleport through the wall. However, instead of placing them safely on the ground (at least until the spider landed on their head) the backstabbing and volatile teleporter dropped them right into the spike pit.

That's my guess, at least. I love the teleporter because it's both powerful and temperamental. Play with it recklessly and you'll almost surely kill yourself; use it with caution and you can navigate each level at an unparalleled speed.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 24, 2018

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, that's exactly what I imagined happened. I'm still kinda surprised teleporters can spawn so early in a run, that's impressive. I also never, ever, EVER used the drat things since it seems their distance seemed variable, and their use is aggressively mocking fate, in a game that thirsts for your death.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RoboCicero posted:

Wait what the gently caress? I thought they healed based on maximum health or something. Holy moly this is dumb that they never tell you this.

I didn't know it until I watched a couple streams.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Yep, you guys are spot on. I was dragging rear end, went into the snake pit anyway, the ghost spawned right next to me, and I bet it all on the teleporter saving me. Don't ever do that.

Serephina posted:

Yea, that's exactly what I imagined happened. I'm still kinda surprised teleporters can spawn so early in a run, that's impressive. I also never, ever, EVER used the drat things since it seems their distance seemed variable, and their use is aggressively mocking fate, in a game that thirsts for your death.

They might be rarer in the original Spelunky but in the Steam release they'll happily give you one to kill yourself with on any level.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

every single steam forum for any game is, without fail, filled with people who are completely braindead and incredibly belligerent about it

i see them cheer and jeer over the murder and danger of a shopkeeper in spelunky and i laugh

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

It feels like the Spelunky thread hasn't been active for a long time so since we're discussing Spelunky here, I'd like to share a cool occurrence that someone found out in the game:

https://twitter.com/NiallEM/status/998239849256816640

Reading the comments, doing this with the Ankh crashes the game. Is this a spoiler?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

RoboCicero posted:

I didn't know this, either. It's like they set out to make an awesome, flowing magic brawler roguelike and completely neglected anything outside of that, including not advertising basic mechanics.

The health orbs heal based on a percentage of max health, though. Or at least they did before 1.02B set them to a flat 25HP.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Quick guide to getting a win in Wizard of Legend.

This game is pretty goddamn hard and it has a huge player skill requirement to be able to weave together spell combos in difficult situations without ever getting hit since you don't have any iframes at all, so it can be pretty tough to get going. After playing the game a bunch, I found that aside from the third boss, the bosses weren't actually the hard parts; it was getting through the stages without taking significant damage, which prompts health potion purchases, which lessens relic purchases, which weakens the run. Thus, I played around with builds until I found an extremely safe one.

Cloak: Awe(the gold one, +crit/crit damage)
Relic: Vampire Goggles(heal on crit)
Basic: Bouncing Blaze
Dash: Any(I usually prefer toxic farts)
Signature: Frost Fan
Other Spell: Depends; an aoe if you're uncomfortable with stages(recommend Scales of Babylon/Rushing Typhoon/Shock Nova), single target if you need help with bosses(Obsidian Cascade/Blazing Blitz/Shock Assault)

Your purchase priorities are Enhanced Bouncing Blaze, Scales of Babylon if you didn't start with it, and every armor and crit relic(not Dark Katana, you're not melee) you can get your hands on, with damage as a secondary priority. Bouncing Blaze is an extremely safe and powerful basic that pushes enemies back well and does significant damage at a good range, and Enhancing it gives it unlimited piercing which gives it unmatched crowd control. Frost Fan is simply the best crowd control in the game as a signature; a wide arc of piercing projectiles that instantly freeze anything they hit and do solid damage on a low cooldown, and it should be your opener in pretty much every normal situation. Awe and the Vampire Goggles provide enough chip healing that you can make mistakes and slowly crawl your way back up to full health without needing to buy health potions due to the safety of the build. Scales of Babylon is a great pickup because it's a point blank "get the gently caress off me" button that also pretty much instantly resets your Frost Fan, keeping you completely safe at all times.

The weakness of this build is that the single target DPS is extremely low compared to other options. Bosses will be relatively drawn out affairs, especially if you took another crowd control option for your other spell. If you did this, focus your other two spell pickups on single target damage to compensate; not only will it shorten bosses, it will also make killing big beefy enemies in the final stages easier.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 25, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Roguelikes: I usually prefer toxic farts

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Hempuli posted:

It feels like the Spelunky thread hasn't been active for a long time
It fell into archives. :smith:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hempuli posted:

It feels like the Spelunky thread hasn't been active for a long time so since we're discussing Spelunky here, I'd like to share a cool occurrence that someone found out in the game:

https://twitter.com/NiallEM/status/998239849256816640

Reading the comments, doing this with the Ankh crashes the game. Is this a spoiler?

This just seems like a bug.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Reminds me of something I ran into with Dead Cells, playing the Daily. I got to the boss but I got pulled out by the rock golem from the Slumbering Sanctuary. It broke the game because I couldn't re-open the door and the camera was stuck inside the boss room. I could still move and do things so I tried warping to another area but it made the camera even worse AND stopped me from moving entirely.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I got around to trying Straimium Immortaly today and it seems really good! Seems like this one flew under the radar pretty hard, which is a shame because roguelites that aren't directly cribbing from Nuclear Throne/ BoI/ Spelunky are somewhat rare as is, let alone good ones. It's a single stick shooter with fixed horizontal firing, combined with some metroid style open-endedness. There's some real neat ideas in here- making certain choices or buying certain items effects certain set pieces and environmental features throughout the map, bosses can be fought in any order, and you don't have to clear most rooms of enemies before you can travel through to next room. It allows for some neat planning and risk taking I haven't seen done in a roguelite exactly the same way before. This is at least as good as Monolith IMO.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Any of you guys looking forward to Moonlighter?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/606150/Moonlighter/

I've been watching Splattercat play it on Youtube and it looks pretty fun! Out tomorrow.

Apr 23, 2002
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. Wait...

Berious posted:

I've been watching Splattercat play it on Youtube and it looks pretty fun! Out tomorrow.

This looks cool-but so did Swords of Ditto 😩

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

This year's Junethack is open for registration at https://junethack.net - any goons up for making a clan?

I know Nethack gets hated on a bit here, but it's still my first roguelike love.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont think this place particularly hates nethack, its just... a bit archaic, i guess? old school roguelike motherfuckery is a bit of a sometimes food

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Berious posted:

It's well animated but the combat looks a bit slow to me.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Wolfechu posted:

I know Nethack gets hated on a bit here, but it's still my first roguelike love.

I would start playing Nethack again if the UI ever gets some improvements. I've been spoiled with how much nicer menus and commands are in games like DCSS. Now that the dev team seems to be more active than they have been in years, I'm hopeful!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I would play Nethack again if the goon fork of Crawl caught fire, fell off a bridge, and killed Brogue on the way down.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hero siege seems a bit... Unbalanced?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Captain Foo posted:

Hero siege seems a bit... Unbalanced?

I'm curious for details, if you don't mind--I have a friend who periodically encourages me to dive into the game, but I've already tried once and sort of bounced off of it. Probably doesn't help that I'm not a big ARPG player, and that's what Hero Siege reminded me a lot of.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I would start playing Nethack again if the UI ever gets some improvements. I've been spoiled with how much nicer menus and commands are in games like DCSS. Now that the dev team seems to be more active than they have been in years, I'm hopeful!

Nothing on this page is an unfair criticism, though I've played it for so many years any UI crappiness is baked into muscle memory, so I barely notice.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 29, 2018

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm curious for details, if you don't mind--I have a friend who periodically encourages me to dive into the game, but I've already tried once and sort of bounced off of it. Probably doesn't help that I'm not a big ARPG player, and that's what Hero Siege reminded me a lot of.

It's basically a giant grindfest

Said with no rancor whatsoever. If you dig that kinda thing, it's alright.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

doctorfrog posted:

One thing this would overcome that IMO plagues games like Arma is plunging too many dev resources into a mania for lovingly modeled guns and uniforms, such that nearly everything else fun-related suffers.

I'd love a roguelike FPS heist simulator, and hell, make it a castle infiltration/exfiltration thing with zip zappy magic.

Liberal Crime Squad (a satirical game originally made by Tarn/Zack Adams by updated by a community) is the only rougelike heist simulator I've played. It's actually probably the game I've played the most outside of Dwarf Fortress.

Not FPS obviously.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Wolfechu posted:

Nothing on this page is an unfair criticism, though I've played it for so many years any UI crappiness is baked into muscle memory, so I barely notice.

Yeah I feel kind of bad sometimes when I pass over playing Nethack. I know how awesome and cool so many parts of the game are. For example, I discovered the Sokoban levels on my own (and solved them) and thought that was such a cool little Easter egg to put into a game. But when I fire it up and remember how clunky it is to (e.g.) switch back and forth from the regular move mode to the examine mode, or the idiosyncratic way some interactions just let you pick the thing to do, but other similar-seeming interactions slowly print out some text and a y/n/q prompt, it just gives me an icky feeling of clunkiness, and i run away quickly

(side note i do not know if the criticisms i just posted are accurate or current, they're just meant as rough examples of how i've felt over the years)

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Yeah I feel kind of bad sometimes when I pass over playing Nethack. I know how awesome and cool so many parts of the game are. For example, I discovered the Sokoban levels on my own (and solved them) and thought that was such a cool little Easter egg to put into a game. But when I fire it up and remember how clunky it is to (e.g.) switch back and forth from the regular move mode to the examine mode, or the idiosyncratic way some interactions just let you pick the thing to do, but other similar-seeming interactions slowly print out some text and a y/n/q prompt, it just gives me an icky feeling of clunkiness, and i run away quickly

(side note i do not know if the criticisms i just posted are accurate or current, they're just meant as rough examples of how i've felt over the years)

No, you're pretty on point: The interface was crufty when 3.4.3 came out in 2003, and it hasn't improved much since.

Still, it's getting slightly better; they at least added level annotation and a dungeon overview a la crawl in 3.6, and like you say, I'm hopeful for the new devteam members, who spent years making forks with exactly the kind of improvements you'd like.

But yeah. I've been playing Nethack in bursts for maybe 20 years now, I've ascended every class in the game at least once, and it still manages to surprise me with the little things. In a recent game, I polymorphed a pet with a wand, and accidentally hit a monster a few squares away as well, which I could only see with infravision. It turned into a mold, which meant it wasn't visible anymore, but the game pipes up with 'You smell something moldy'. Who even codes for that level of eventuality?

I've also been playing long enough to remember Sokoban being added; I hope now they've finished tidying up with 3.6, we'll eventually see cool new stuff like that being added again.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

IronicDongz posted:

It's well animated but the combat looks a bit slow to me.

I haven't played it myself, but the combat seems to be getting a lot of praise fwiw

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

The Silver Snail posted:

I got around to trying Straimium Immortaly today and it seems really good! Seems like this one flew under the radar pretty hard, which is a shame because roguelites that aren't directly cribbing from Nuclear Throne/ BoI/ Spelunky are somewhat rare as is, let alone good ones. It's a single stick shooter with fixed horizontal firing, combined with some metroid style open-endedness. There's some real neat ideas in here- making certain choices or buying certain items effects certain set pieces and environmental features throughout the map, bosses can be fought in any order, and you don't have to clear most rooms of enemies before you can travel through to next room. It allows for some neat planning and risk taking I haven't seen done in a roguelite exactly the same way before. This is at least as good as Monolith IMO.

This caught my eye a few months ago, glad to hear it's good!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Straimium Immortaly is indeed very good. Some people won't like the (text only)dialogue but you can just turn it off and it plays fine without it.

It's a good example of how restricting what the player can do increases depth. You don't shoot in any direction, you shoot left or right, which gives it a feel similar to an oldschool horizontal scrolling shooter in how you have to position to hit enemies.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Liberal Crime Squad (a satirical game originally made by Tarn/Zack Adams by updated by a community) is the only rougelike heist simulator I've played. It's actually probably the game I've played the most outside of Dwarf Fortress.

Not FPS obviously.

Invisible Inc? (also not FPS)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's taken the NetHack dev team like 2 years for a tiny little changelog so I wouldn't hold out hope for an interface overhaul anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's taken the NetHack dev team like 2 years for a tiny little changelog so I wouldn't hold out hope for an interface overhaul anytime soon.

Yep. The word 'glacial' comes to mind. Still faster than the decade the last changelog took.