Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

So as someone who bounced hard off of the original Gungeon I've just finished up the last character's Past in Advanced. I've still got a couple of the secret areas to do and a few other things but I feel a lot more satisfied with Advanced. It still doesn't feel like I've really got a lot of choice in what things I buy / chests I unlock and I'm still having to default back to my starting weapon a lot - especially if I try to go into Bullet Hell (One run I didn't get any ammo between floor 4 and 5 combined and only Ser Junkan was saving me.) but the whole synergy system and the improved droprate go a long way to making up for that because there's a lot more fun things to find because of it. I think the most annoying thing right now is the cost to unlock shortcuts because you have to dedicate drat near entire runs to getting enough keys / money, and even then the shortcut's functionally useless, I just want the items.

The Daruma is run-shatteringly powerful and I'm not quite sure why it's just a B rank.

okay no the most annoying thing is that I still find myself getting mad and hitting restart if I get clipped on the first boss. God drat but that choice is still so bad.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Stelas posted:

So as someone who bounced hard off of the original Gungeon I've just finished up the last character's Past in Advanced. I've still got a couple of the secret areas to do and a few other things but I feel a lot more satisfied with Advanced. It still doesn't feel like I've really got a lot of choice in what things I buy / chests I unlock and I'm still having to default back to my starting weapon a lot - especially if I try to go into Bullet Hell (One run I didn't get any ammo between floor 4 and 5 combined and only Ser Junkan was saving me.) but the whole synergy system and the improved droprate go a long way to making up for that because there's a lot more fun things to find because of it. I think the most annoying thing right now is the cost to unlock shortcuts because you have to dedicate drat near entire runs to getting enough keys / money, and even then the shortcut's functionally useless, I just want the items.

The Daruma is run-shatteringly powerful and I'm not quite sure why it's just a B rank.

okay no the most annoying thing is that I still find myself getting mad and hitting restart if I get clipped on the first boss. God drat but that choice is still so bad.

They do need to fix the key drop or have a chance of chests in the chest room not be locked or mimics...though honestly i wouldnt mind if they just went with the gently caress you more mimics option either. at least you have a better chance of getting something from the chest but then junken ...pfft junken is a myth

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
CoX 2 with another update both moving things forward and indicating the fresh tire kicking folks have been able to give it now that it has emerged from obscurity after so long---also because it has a proper site now to facilitate such~

https://virtua-sinner.itch.io/caverns-of-xaskazien-ii

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

hito posted:

I just finished reading The Worst Journey in the World and man a polar expedition roguelike would own so hard. Choose sledging teams from your ~12 crewmembers at base camp, balancing exploration the routes with leaving rations for future crews, adjusting with the seasons...especially if you procgen things like "Which vitamins do humans need to avoid deficiency disease" and "which animals work best in this climate" so you have to do things like fiddle with diets because you only get to requisition things from abroad once a year and you really need to get it right.

The Antarctic expeditions around 1910 would be a great setting. Lots of famous explorers loving around an dying in those.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Frozen Depths was a fun experimental little roguelike that had an interesting temperature system that I'd love to see re-explored in an arctic survival game.

I'd also like to see someone take anpther shot at the Dragonball/Kung-Fu inspired Roguelike (Dragonball-T was better than it deserved to be) but I fear it will never come to pass.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I'm really enjoying Dead Cells. Not at all good at it but the combat is so responsive that it's really fun to play.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

A roguelike set in an Antarctic base where you have to dash from building to building or burn your loot for warmth lest you freeze to death? Yes please.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

this is definitely the most obnoxious tanky rear end in a top hat build I've ever had in dead cells

huge damage reduction, huge HP, parry things and then shotgun them for a billion damage or just use a tonic to become invulnerable for a bit and pointblank whatever I want repeatedly

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

killed the the last thing

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

megane posted:

A roguelike set in an Antarctic base where you have to dash from building to building or burn your loot for warmth lest you freeze to death? Yes please.

Also having to balance fuel usage for things like running generators and space heaters, but also still being able to de-ice doors to get to valuable supplies.

Basically that FPS arctic survival game that came out a few years back, but topdown and turn based. Edit: Near Death. Look it up, it's pretty great. Just you and the cold, no enemies iirc.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 18, 2018

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Had the best run ever going in Dead Cells and then I killed myself with an elevator. Ooops.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Hahaha. That's only happened to me once. Once was enough.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone played Socketeer?For the record I have not.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

RickVoid posted:

Also having to balance fuel usage for things like running generators and space heaters, but also still being able to de-ice doors to get to valuable supplies.

Basically that FPS arctic survival game that came out a few years back, but topdown and turn based. Edit: Near Death. Look it up, it's pretty great. Just you and the cold, no enemies iirc.

I was thinking something like reverse dwarf fortress where you start with a fully functional base and things slowly go to poo poo with the sole survivor holed up in a shack with the last gallon of fuel. The thing roguelike?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Klaus Kinski posted:

I was thinking something like reverse dwarf fortress where you start with a fully functional base and things slowly go to poo poo with the sole survivor holed up in a shack with the last gallon of fuel. The thing roguelike?

Yes, but uh it also sounds like it could be like Dungeon of the Endless. Where you're trying to explore a facility and manage power. Power in dungeon of the endless allowed you to open doors I think, but was also a currency? But the ice dungeon it sounds like people want energy/fuel to be the primary currency where it buys character life and you risk it for greater rewards in opening chests and challenge areas.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You could also play the long dark. It's even got some vaguely roguelike elements: the loot in various places is randomized in the non-story mode, and permadeath.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Toalpaz posted:

Yes, but uh it also sounds like it could be like Dungeon of the Endless. Where you're trying to explore a facility and manage power. Power in dungeon of the endless allowed you to open doors I think, but was also a currency? But the ice dungeon it sounds like people want energy/fuel to be the primary currency where it buys character life and you risk it for greater rewards in opening chests and challenge areas.

Power in DotE let you light up rooms you've opened. Lit rooms can power modules to defend against monsters or generate resources. Monsters also don't spawn in lit rooms, so if you light a whole section, you can safely ignore it. You can also leave rooms unlit to spawn more monsters, hoping to get more Dust(power) drops, but I wouldn't do it unless you're very confident in your defenses.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Power in DotE let you light up rooms you've opened. Lit rooms can power modules to defend against monsters or generate resources. Monsters also don't spawn in lit rooms, so if you light a whole section, you can safely ignore it. You can also leave rooms unlit to spawn more monsters, hoping to get more Dust(power) drops, but I wouldn't do it unless you're very confident in your defenses.

Thanks sorry, it's been like a year since I touched it. I just remembered it was Rogue-Lite and had resource management.

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda
We just launched patch 1.18 for Tangledeep after about 5 weeks since the last patch. That's the longest we've gone, uh.. ever! But it's not for lack of content. Besides bug fixes and various new stuff, a big change is that you can no longer swap abilities on and off your hotbars in the dungeon. You can't cast them from the skill sheet anymore either.

I made this change because I wanted people to think a little more about skill synergy and builds. It's easy enough to go back to town to try something different, but for lategame characters, IMO it detracted from the uniqueness of your playstyle to have access to potentially 70+ abilities at the same time. It also made it really hard to balance things when you are guaranteed (up to) every movement ability and summon in the game. This doesn't affect early/mid game at all of course, but even veteran players I talked to thought it made sense as a balancing + gameplay adjustment.

ALSO Madjack has been furiously working on the Switch port for months and we are just about wrapped up now. Simultaneous launch in US and Japan! The latter has done really well on PC and in fact we're even gonna be at Tokyo Game Show next month showing it off. Well, I'm not, since I'm a new dad as of 5 weeks ago. But Jim is going and that's gonna be cool. Japan is cool.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I think I can say I'm done with Gungeon at this point. Got the Super Hot Watch unlocked and blasted my way through Bullet Hell without taking a hit. I'd still like more in the way of crazier synergies - I prefer the 'who care about balancing a single player game' philosophy - but that was a lot better than base.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

zirconmusic posted:

ALSO Madjack has been furiously working on the Switch port for months and we are just about wrapped up now. Simultaneous launch in US and Japan! The latter has done really well on PC and in fact we're even gonna be at Tokyo Game Show next month showing it off. Well, I'm not, since I'm a new dad as of 5 weeks ago. But Jim is going and that's gonna be cool. Japan is cool.

That's awesome! I was asking about it in the Switch thread last week, happy to see it's close to release. Good luck with cert!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

zirconmusic posted:

You should post when you have a date, because I have been holding off on buying waiting for Switch version and will def preorder as soon as it hits the eshop and play day 1 etc

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'd marry a roguelike on switch I'm a poligimist now

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Toalpaz posted:

I found Dungeon of the Endless to be completely impenetrable. Spent hours on it and never got anywhere near a win.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Stark Fist posted:

I found Dungeon of the Endless to be completely impenetrable. Spent hours on it and never got anywhere near a win.

I only have 19 hours on record, I'm no expert. I think I touched maybe the second last set of floors (the lab?) once and I unlocked a majority of the characters.

I think the difficulty ramps up a whole lot, and uh I remember drops being relatively important. I can't say much beyond that I really love the Endless series lore and aesthetics. I like the idea of the game and should probably try and get a win on it?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I played a lot of DotE myself--particularly co-op with a friend. It's certainly a game that's a lot easier once you know how things work. What each enemy does, which modules are the most effective ones, how to maximize your resources, and a few tricks to help out.

It's primarily a game of resource management. Major modules that generate resources get more expensive as you build more, and if you build too many, you won't get a return on your investment. The floors get longer as you proceed, so the amount of majors you want goes up later too. You'll also generally want to open all the doors unless you think your defenses are going to get completely overwhelmed, because each door is more resources for later. Also, if you find a door that you've already seen the other side of, no monsters will spawn when you open it. You can save it till the end as a free bit of resources.

For heroes, you'll definitely want at least one guy who can move quickly to open doors for you, and then immediately retreat (possibly through several unlit rooms full of monsters) back to the safety of your defenses. Then your other 3 heroes can just be some mix of guys with the Operate skill who can park next to a major module to make more resources and solid combat guys. Heroes with nothing better to do can also stand in unlit rooms and suppress monsters from spawning there while a door is being opened.

For turrets, there are a few really strong general use ones, a bunch of perfectly acceptable ones, and a few stinkers. The really good ones are Smoking Gun, Tear Gas, and Neurostun for slowing, weakening and killing most of the enemy waves. For the room your heroes are going to be holding out in, a dust field generator helps a lot with the increased defense. The really bad ones are pretty much just Holo-hero and the ones that generate resources based on killed monsters, because you probably will want those slots just for more guns.

For the enemies, there's really not much to do except get used to how each one acts. A lot of them have very different AI and priorities. There are even a few that will force you to dive into dark rooms to kill them while they slowly grow huge or bash open more doors you're not ready for. There are usually only a few types per level, so once you've gotten a few waves in, you can adjust your strategy based on who's coming at you.

If you have any other particular questions, I'd be glad to answer, but that's about all that comes to mind right now.

E: Oh yes, if you come across a science crystal you don't need, or one of those things that asks for 30 industry to maybe give you something in return and you don't want it, you can bulldoze those to make room for modules if you'd rather have the space.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 24, 2018

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Junkie Disease posted:

I'd marry a roguelike on switch I'm a poligimist now

Unexplored has ported over to switch with some new game ending bugs. Be sure to check on the current patch state if you’re tempted by that. It’s a great game on PC with some art and combat style that doesn’t work for everyone. There is also Dragon Fang Z which I picked up on sale for PC and forgot to play because of new content and new games. I’ve heard some good things about that but not many have been talking about it, so I’m a bit wary of recommending it. I will be playing it this weekend though.

Tangledeep on switch? That should be fun. Whatever happened to dungeonmans? Was that coming to switch or was I just confused because jack is helping out on Tangledeep?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Operate is the absolute key skill in DotE, and specifically operating a manned shop to generate dust will get you through the more and more dust starved you get when nearing the surface.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i remember reading that if you have a hero in a dark room enemies wont spawn in it

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

LordSloth posted:

Unexplored has ported over to switch with some new game ending bugs. Be sure to check on the current patch state if you’re tempted by that. It’s a great game on PC with some art and combat style that doesn’t work for everyone. There is also Dragon Fang Z which I picked up on sale for PC and forgot to play because of new content and new games. I’ve heard some good things about that but not many have been talking about it, so I’m a bit wary of recommending it. I will be playing it this weekend though.

Tangledeep on switch? That should be fun. Whatever happened to dungeonmans? Was that coming to switch or was I just confused because jack is helping out on Tangledeep?

I really like Unexplored but I'm apparently real bad at it, and I desperately wish there were a more reliable source of healing

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Awesome! posted:

i remember reading that if you have a hero in a dark room enemies wont spawn in it

This is true, but it tends to be something of a stopgap measure. If you have a hero with high Wits operating a production module in a heavily fortified chokepoint, one extra room's worth of monsters usually isn't enough to give you too much trouble - it's usually best to build your team with an eye towards surviving sieges once you have a good doorkicker (i.e. a fast, resilient explorer capable of opening doors and swiftly returning to the team/chokepoint).

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Putting aside combat and puzzle solving here are a few Unexplained tips.
  • When the game is paused you can right-click monsters and many dungeon features for more information as well as toss potions directly from your inventory to specific locations.
  • You can swipe your empty flasks over a cauldron up to three times. Excepting blood and water, these are filled with harmful potions you can throw later. This is a great way to get some identification done and get some offensive ‘munitions’ to throw at your enemies.
  • Filling empty flasks with water and quaffing them later is a fantastically cheap way to cure the burning status.
  • You can wear light and heavy armor at the same time.
  • Sophie often removes the curses you’re wearing if you offer a ration at an altar especially the first time per altar. It’s not completely safe, but it’s an extremely helpful backup option when you are just about to start figuring out your scrolls and gear.
  • to get good at combat buy more rations- it’ll make you more willing to experiment and let you get more accustomed. Some armor can help, but with middle-of-the-road settings, it is easily found if you’re good at avoiding unnecessary fights.
  • not only can you throw potions to poison your enemies or set them on fire, corrosion and drain magic have their uses as well. One use that the game’s books reveal is handling turrets, but there are others to uncover.
  • if you empty one of your hands, you can drag items, disarm enemies, and most enjoyably, grab some of those bomb fruits that grow all Zelda-like for some fun, especially on floors just riddled with orcs.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Lunsku posted:

Operate is the absolute key skill in DotE, and specifically operating a manned shop to generate dust will get you through the more and more dust starved you get when nearing the surface.

Also, the amount of resources operating gives you is based on Wit, and is always rounded up. For Food/Industry/Science, it's 1 per 2 wit, for Dust it's 1 per 10. In practice, this means if you have a shop module with a shopkeeper on it and put a token Mechanical Pal module next to it, you'll get your 1 dust per door without having to invest a hero to stand next to it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I played only a bit of DotE but i thought it just looked unappealing and convoluted, or am I wrong and is it a great game?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
The systems aren't convoluted at all, but it has a REALLY steep learning curve, and it's so off the wall there isn't really much past experience that will prepare you for it. I think it's one of the most ingenious games to come out in the last five years for any genre.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah I love it , that's like my go-to iPad game

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Boy I got 302 hours currently logged on Dungeon of the Endless. I give it two thumbs up--way up!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Shibawanko posted:

I played only a bit of DotE but i thought it just looked unappealing and convoluted, or am I wrong and is it a great game?

It's a game about preparing the dungeon for your moving defense through it when you're ready to go, and I love it a LOT.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Nothing quite as stressful as this game, nothing like watching all your guys melt in real time to give you a heart attack. My first game back and I'm at floor 8, it's definitely doable but the difficulty ramps up a whole lot and punishes bad play. There isn't a lot of margin for error. It's really scary once you start depleting your food instead of leveling for healing, it's kind of like you know that you're not efficient enough to succeed but you're still playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

roguelikes.txt

https://twitter.com/qweety_/status/1033498801170997248

https://twitter.com/qweety_/status/1033499313018744833