Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Anyone ever mention that CultRL became a kickstarter failure? After 1+ year of largely leaving backers in the dark, Lord Dullard basically come out and said 'Yeah this is too hard and I don't have any enthusiasm for working on it anymore so I'm probably not going to' Great attitude to have after taking $34,000 of people's money. I probably won't back any future roguelikes that aren't big names, not that I was a cultrl backer or anything.

Holy poo poo

malkav11 posted:

What? I backed this and this is the first I can recall hearing of it.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Everyone knows KS are not preorders, but that's still lovely of a developer to just go 'gently caress it'. Especially not having some big problem but just decide that making games is no fun. At least release the source and assets to the backers.

Wow. Very upsetting, I could post an entire wall of rage, though I don't imagine that will help anyone. Ok, listen up:

If you

1) Are a goon,
2) did not back Dungeonmans,
3) did back CultRL and have been hosed thusly,

Please send me a PM and I will add you to the list of :10bux: Dungeonmans backers. You put some coin down to fuel the sails of independent roguelike development, if that dude can't or won't carry the banner across the battlefield please allow me to pick it up.

This is for us here in the Roguelikes thread and not a general offer to all CultRL backers, I obviously can't support 1200 people doing this but I can do something here locally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I never heard of CultRL before it came up here, but that is awesome and you are awesome madjack.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 8, 2014

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

You know I think I read that post, but it was during a pretty busy time and I didn't connect him with the CultRL project for whatever dumb reason. It doesn't change anything though.

steamless developer posted:

I think another problem at this point is that I *myself* am losing steam when it comes to the project. At one point this thing ate up my thoughts, dreams, et cetera. Now I am... frankly, not so enthusiastic about it. My life has moved in a different direction than I expected, and my goals have changed. That does not mean I intend to drop it or quit my obligations; I'm just stating reality (after all, lying isn't going to do me any good). For a long time I thought I could just plow my way through it with sheer determination no matter how unhappy I was with the work itself. At this point I'm being forced to acknowledge that isn't the case. As much as I wanted to be at one point, I'm not Tarn Adams.

I think it might have been possible to build a more aggravating paragraph, but only just so.

It's a shite situation. He can't afford refunds, he won't finish the game, and all this chatter of going after him in Kick Kourt would just make everyone but the lawyers have sad empty pockets.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The CultRL dev CAN salvage the situation, at least somewhat---there's no need for sinister rituals, conjuring up somebody that is magically delicious in the Go programming language like Manse Macabre, or fanciness, or even wearing pants to just communicate on his own blasted forum and level with people to do whatever combination of pursuits actually livens things up and gets progress made on what fronts they can scrappily wrangle. I can virtually guarantee he's fortunate enough to have some folks already as backers that would have the skill, time, and personal impetus to help bang things along even on areas where he's stuck perpetually turning the corner only to fall down flights of stairs. He needs quite a wake-up call though, and reconnect with folks, or else it will indeed all go up in a great acrid cloud of smoke.

Stellar solidarity offer there for the RL Goon enclave Dungeonmans dev, were you made of ample free time and not psychically throttling the dude in your heart of hearts at the moment I'd say perhaps it would do well to contact the dude (or frankly, any Roguelike KS dev folks) and try to talk some sense as fellow travelers of a sort generally interested in not poisoning communal wells. Well...even that would take him actually answering to any contact attempts. Tarn Adams isn't exactly a build releasing machine either so much as an interactive animatronic one that may only land an actual build once or so a year but is proper regular on the dev blogging, community chatting, and general appreciative hijinks---so putting him on a pedestal as some Olympian ideal that mere mortals will toil against emulating Sisyphus-style makes no sense.

I just don't understand how it all went off the rails so badly at this junction---clearly the guy is not lacking in imagination so how could there possibly be this level of bad afoot when even a cursory glance at the situation from a mirror along narrative thinking would make it abundantly clear that he'd not enjoy such were the shoe on the other foot? I'm glad I didn't back it at the time, but would've been gladder still had it all worked out for everybody as the original ambition, and "making it happen", was/is pretty wonderful stuff that could well have springboarded into all kinds of nifty things to come.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It says a ton about his values that he thinks a lack of steam is an acceptable reason to bail on a project he's already been paid for.

Anyway... That is incredibly cool of you. I was actually thinking about you when I read the comment about not having faith in kickstarted roguelikes. I think people have to be careful where they put their money and accept that they may get burnt, but I'm quite pleased to have backed Dungeonmans.

Of course it helps that you're an active poster here and have produced a solid and playable alpha already.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I'm not sure why Sword of the Stars: the Pit isn't talked about much in these threads. Its a loving great roguelike and is polished to a shine that games like Dredmore can't approach. The Mindgames expansion added a fuckton of stuff to an already packed game. The developers are constantly updating it to fix bugs and add even more stuff.

The reason I particularly love it is because, like the best roguelikes, dying isn't necessarily too bad because I get a real buzz out of each new character's start up.

Honestly, try the demo on Steam. I have no idea how up to date the demo is but it'll at least give you some idea of the gameplay.

I'll try to write an effortpost tomorrow that can be included in the OP or something but I wish it was more popular. I think it deserves to be.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's a pretty good game, but the developer has left a bad taste in most goons mouths, so it doesn't get much press here.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rapacity posted:

I'm not sure why Sword of the Stars: the Pit isn't talked about much in these threads. Its a loving great roguelike and is polished to a shine that games like Dredmore can't approach. The Mindgames expansion added a fuckton of stuff to an already packed game. The developers are constantly updating it to fix bugs and add even more stuff.

The reason I particularly love it is because, like the best roguelikes, dying isn't necessarily too bad because I get a real buzz out of each new character's start up.

Honestly, try the demo on Steam. I have no idea how up to date the demo is but it'll at least give you some idea of the gameplay.

I'll try to write an effortpost tomorrow that can be included in the OP or something but I wish it was more popular. I think it deserves to be.

That would be great.

To be honest I tried it and thought it was pretty boring. It also suffers from the same issue as Dredmor - it plays slow. The boring thing might be me just not understanding exactly what I was doing, but it seems like it was easy except for the fact that ammo was incredibly limited and acquiring it was totally random. Once I ran out for an extended period of time, I was hosed. It took til maybe the 6th floor for that to happen? I just played it the one time and then shelved it.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand

Jordan7hm posted:

That would be great.

To be honest I tried it and thought it was pretty boring. It also suffers from the same issue as Dredmor - it plays slow. The boring thing might be me just not understanding exactly what I was doing, but it seems like it was easy except for the fact that ammo was incredibly limited and acquiring it was totally random. Once I ran out for an extended period of time, I was hosed. It took til maybe the 6th floor for that to happen? I just played it the one time and then shelved it.

Start a scout. Think conservatively. Hotkey knife to 1 and pistol to 2. Regular (you'll soon be familiar with them) enemies get 1 knife stab and finished with the fists. Realise that even 1 use of a skill halves the cost to level it from 2 to 1 on level-up. Like all these games, it appears to have a ridiculous number of skills to watch out for but you soon come to know the important ones.

You can prioritise scavenging skills like lockpick, computers, mechanical and electronics and that's what I do because they allow access to the many and various containers everywhere. Raising might gets you extra inventory slots at every x0 level (40,50 etc) Each class has different allocations of stat and skill points on level up and it's too much to post right now but its a quality game which rewards time put into it.

This is the incomplete list of the recipes if you don't mind spoilers
http://sword-of-the-stars-the-pit.wikia.com/wiki/Recipes

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

It's a pretty good game, but the developer has left a bad taste in most goons mouths, so it doesn't get much press here.

Pretty much. I'm very reluctant to give Kerberos money, but if the game showed up on a Humble Bundle i'd pick it up.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I've played a bit of SotS a few days ago and it was pretty cool. Managed to get to floor 10 or 11 with my first marine and though "hey, this is easy" but then a repair station somehow destroyed my vibro blade and I got ambushed by two Hopkinites after a large protean. Only weapon with nice penetration I had was a laser pistol, too bad I had only one energy cell.

I suspect crafting is a key to success but I only guessed recipes for a lockpick and some food. Trying to decipher some messages may be a good idea, but feels like a bit of a grind.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
I just tried to get back into DoomRL. First I keep bumping the mouse with my elbow so the screen and my aim slide all over the place, then I come down stairs right next to a Mancubus and become Marine-flavored wallpaper two steps later. I can't figure out why everything annoys me about this game yet I keep coming back to it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Arkham Horror is a bit like a roguelike except it's a board game and not a computer game.

It would be a lot less painful to play as a computer game.

Rapacity posted:

I'm not sure why Sword of the Stars: the Pit isn't talked about much in these threads.

Inventing the word rogue-alikes is an unforgivable sin.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
What horrible things have Kerberos done?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

welcome posted:

The ceo of their company posts insulting things about people who bought their (permanently broken and awful) game and have the audacity to report bugs in it. I might have time to dig up quotes later.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

welcome posted:

SotS2 thread here. Read the OP and "Repository of :kerberos:" posts.

tl;dr is that they accidentally made a good game a long time ago, and have spent the last 3 years insulting the goodwill and intelligence of their fans, publishers, and game journalists that dare write balanced reviews of the abomination they created.

Nephilm fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 30, 2013

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
The Pit is a legit great roguelike and is absolutely not broken or hacky or any of that. I honestly don't care about whatever drama the devs have participated in. I will say that I've spent a bit of time over at their forums and the devs' tone is pretty loving hostile but so what? It's a fantastic game and you're maybe missing out by taking that poo poo on board.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Rapacity posted:

The Pit is a legit great roguelike and is absolutely not broken or hacky or any of that. I honestly don't care about whatever drama the devs have participated in. I will say that I've spent a bit of time over at their forums and the devs' tone is pretty loving hostile but so what? It's a fantastic game and you're maybe missing out by taking that poo poo on board.

Hating a company, its PR and business practices (they were scamming both Paradox and the costumers), is a perfectly legit reason to not want to give them money. I like their setting, and it looks like a decent game so it'd certainly play it if it were available to me, but I cannot in good conscience pay money for it that I know will reach Kerberos.

Maybe if it ends up in a Humble Bundle and I set all to charity.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nephilm posted:

Hating a company, its PR and business practices (they were scamming both Paradox and the costumers), is a perfectly legit reason to not want to give them money. I like their setting, and it looks like a decent game so it'd certainly play it if it were available to me, but I cannot in good conscience pay money for it that I know will reach Kerberos.

Maybe if it ends up in a Humble Bundle and I set all to charity.

Having that option is pretty cool. Deep Silver is owned by the Koch brothers so I gave all the money from that bundle to charity, felt good.

EDIT: Nope, not true. Don't listen to me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 31, 2013

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Jeffrey posted:

Having that option is pretty cool. Deep Silver is owned by the Koch brothers so I gave all the money from that bundle to charity, felt good.

Uh, no. Deep Silver is owned by Koch Media. The Koch brothers are a totally different thing.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Uh, no. Deep Silver is owned by Koch Media. The Koch brothers are a totally different thing.

I think he's just referring to the Koch Brothers generally owning all of the things, everywhere, through layer after layer of corporate structure.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nah I'm just dumb.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Rapacity posted:

The Pit was funded in a kickstarter campaign wherein the devs held their prior game hostage, claiming at one point that no new patches were coming for an atrociously broken game until The Pit had become solvent.

You should absolutely not give Kerberos money, because they are in no way developers with a good track record of finishing what they start, OR respecting you as a consumer.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

It would be a lot less painful to play as a computer game.

The same way Magic Online is better than paper magic, often but not always. But I do work for Fantasy Flight so what do I know.

Still, the thing I dislike about The Pit the most is the length of a run, it's just draining.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Not spending the first hour setting poo poo up is a pretty hard to argue with advantage to a computer version of your typical FFG feeliefest.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I admit I care little about any and all developer drama and that's why I bought the Pit. If the game is good, I will give them money. If it is not, I will not.

andrewdoull
Jun 23, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

Ascii Dreams
Andrew Doull's blog. One of the more prominent roguelike developers, host of RL Radio, and a goon.

I'm less of a goon and more of a stupid newbie.

On topic: Is anyone else blown away by how amazing 868-HACK is?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Chakan posted:

But I do work for Fantasy Flight

Have I mentioned lately that you are so pretty and/or handsome, smell wonderful, and why I was just talking someone of the gender(s) you are attracted to and they agreed with me wholly. :allears:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Wow, Occult Chronicles is really really good. I wish there were more horror/Lovecraft themed roguelikelikes.

It really is fun and even though it is officially released the Dev says they will keep working on it for some months still.

Just lost a game of it when exploring the attic I ran away from a zombie (due to being heavily injured 1hp left) and then had the floor collapse on me, I failed to grab the edge and died ignominiously. I hope the friendly brain in the jar I was carrying died too. :ohdear:

Edit:
Character archive stat screen for that run if anyone cares.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 31, 2013

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I haven't played occult chronicles for months, I'm gonna have to run through a few games and see how it's improved since the alpha/beta/early access thing.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Occult Chronicles is pretty boss, I'm finally figuring out how to get places in it. I wish I knew how long you were supposed to take on each floor roughly speaking, though, I always end up going downstairs too early and getting my rear end kicked.

Also, it seems like every single character desperately needs Wands, if only because of the fifty billion horror checks.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
I wasn't really sure whether or not to ask this in the recommend games thread, this thread, or the MUD thread. If it belongs somewhere else, let me know and I'll post it there.

I'm basically looking for a single-player, non-permadeath, less-grindy version of DragonRealms the MUD. I really enjoyed the combat system in that game where you targeted limbs and the whole description was done qualitatively (e.g., 'You severed the goblin's right arm from his shoulder with your scimitar') and am looking for something like that where I don't have to invest 8 hours a day of grinding to get to appreciable levels of power, and I could do different runs with different styles of characters. Are there any roguelikes that fit that description? Looking over the list in the OP didn't have anything pop out to me.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

mune posted:

I wasn't really sure whether or not to ask this in the recommend games thread, this thread, or the MUD thread. If it belongs somewhere else, let me know and I'll post it there.

I'm basically looking for a single-player, non-permadeath, less-grindy version of DragonRealms the MUD. I really enjoyed the combat system in that game where you targeted limbs and the whole description was done qualitatively (e.g., 'You severed the goblin's right arm from his shoulder with your scimitar') and am looking for something like that where I don't have to invest 8 hours a day of grinding to get to appreciable levels of power, and I could do different runs with different styles of characters. Are there any roguelikes that fit that description? Looking over the list in the OP didn't have anything pop out to me.

Dwarf fortress adventure mode and to a much lesser extent IVAN.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mune posted:

Lacking permadeath arguably (in my opinion, unquestionably) eliminates roguelikes from what you're looking for. That being said the games uPen suggested are almost certainly the closest in terms of a combat system. I can't think of anything else that goes quite that in-depth. If you want to play a more simplified combat system (uh, in some ways), not have permadeath, and play around with different character builds, ToME is probably the closest fit.

andrewdoull posted:

On topic: Is anyone else blown away by how amazing 868-HACK is?

I would be, if it were on PC or android. :colbert:

I enjoyed what little I played of 86856527.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Nephilm posted:

SotS2 thread here. Read the OP and "Repository of :kerberos:" posts.

tl;dr is that they accidentally made a good game a long time ago, and have spent the last 3 years insulting the goodwill and intelligence of their fans, publishers, and game journalists that dare write balanced reviews of the abomination they created.

Abominations. They also made Fort Zombie - which was buggy as gently caress, ran like total poo poo on a sizable amount of PC's, and was never properly fixed. Left to rot with the developers basically going "well what do you expect from an indie priced game?".

gently caress Kerberos. :colbert:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mattjpwns posted:

Abominations. They also made Fort Zombie - which was buggy as gently caress, ran like total poo poo on a sizable amount of PC's, and was never properly fixed. Left to rot with the developers basically going "well what do you expect from an indie priced game?".

gently caress Kerberos. :colbert:

Holy poo poo Kerberos made that? :psyduck:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

uPen posted:

Holy poo poo Kerberos made that? :psyduck:

I didn't think I could lose more respect for them, jesus christ. This is exactly how I felt when I learned that WarZ had one of the main dudes behind Big Rigs behind it.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Lacking permadeath arguably (in my opinion, unquestionably) eliminates roguelikes from what you're looking for. That being said the games uPen suggested are almost certainly the closest in terms of a combat system. I can't think of anything else that goes quite that in-depth. If you want to play a more simplified combat system (uh, in some ways), not have permadeath, and play around with different character builds, ToME is probably the closest fit.

uPen posted:

Dwarf fortress adventure mode and to a much lesser extent IVAN.

Thanks guys! I'll check out all of those!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Stelas posted:

Occult Chronicles is pretty boss, I'm finally figuring out how to get places in it. I wish I knew how long you were supposed to take on each floor roughly speaking, though, I always end up going downstairs too early and getting my rear end kicked.

Also, it seems like every single character desperately needs Wands, if only because of the fifty billion horror checks.

I think for floors you should try to do all the starting floor then the first floor and then the attic above it, then go for downstairs as you'll have rewards from completing quests or beating/magicing up the encounters.

Yeah you tend to nee at least some Wands for horror, but if you keep it low-ish and focus on swords and cups you'll be able to do quite well breezing through the early encounters. This should allow you to use the skill points to buy an extra background that allows you to pump wands for later.