Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Behold, the "Roguelite*" that has perhaps taken the longest winding road of them all---but this time the odds seem good that it can at last Get There after an Early Access jaunt:

https://iterativegames.itch.io/contractwork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Its... a side scrolling Sythetik?

edit: And I don't mean that in a good way. I'm a curmudgeon, let those two games be bffs and leave me out of it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finally tried out Nuclear Throne, and...I have mixed feelings about it. It handles well, and the gunfeel is excellent, and I like that individual levels and runs are very short. On the other hand, at least half of my deaths so far have come not from enemy action, but from:
- shooting a thing I thought wasn't explosive that was
- shooting a thing I thought was explosive that wasn't, that was I counting on to kill a bunch of enemies
- touching a thing I thought was a powerup that was actually a trap that kills you
- touching a thing I thought was scenery that was actually a trap that kills you
- hiding behind something that turned out to be scenery
- trying to shoot a grenade through something that turned out to be an obstacle, and not the kind the grenade just bounces off, either

so I think my greatest foe is not the enemies per se but the art direction.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Your biggest enemy is things that explode in Nuclear Throne, yeah, and once you get used to how your own guns work you’ll still get merked by everything else. The upside of all that is a winning run is 15 minutes long so it’s not like you’re suffering much from a cheeky death.

Also try to get a hold of Strong Spirit.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I died so many times just figuring out the mechanics of Nuclear Throne. Probably around 50 deaths before I could reliably make it to the junkyards. But yeah, they were really short games, and there's a good bit of variety even when you're dying a bunch.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Has anyone played that unofficial expansion that came out for NT

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

I haven't, but I downloaded it after seeing Sleepcycles play it a bit. Seemed like a sizeable amount of new content, with a lot of it being appropriately silly; looked about as polished as the actual game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
So I bought Streets of Rogue yesterday and I was having a lot of fun with it. I really like how customizable it is with all of the mutators. Does anyone who plays it have and mutator combinations that they like to use?

Also 20XX was ok at the beginning but towards the end, it becomes extremely spammy and annoying as hell and I stop liking it.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 9, 2019

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

blackguy32 posted:

So I bought Streets of Rogue yesterday and I was having a lot of fun with it. I really like how customizable it is with all of the mutators. Does anyone who plays it have and mutator combinations that they like to use?

Also 20XX was ok at the beginning but towards the end, it becomes extremely spammy and annoying as hell and I stop liking it.

I like the mutator that makes you a different class every level. Just start with one that has a decent inventory like the thief and it adds some fun dynamic challenge when you're suddenly the investment banker or a gang member or the little shapechanger guy.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

GorfZaplen posted:

Has anyone played that unofficial expansion that came out for NT

If you're talking about Nuclear Throne Ultra it's freaking great. There's a ton of weird gamebreaking guns and the playable character count is about triple.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Fayez Butts posted:

If you're talking about Nuclear Throne Ultra it's freaking great. There's a ton of weird gamebreaking guns and the playable character count is about triple.

That's cool. Played a ton of NT and had no idea it existed-- do you know if it's compatible with the EGS version?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

I was guessing Butts was talking about the Territorial Expansion which came out just over a week ago.

https://yokin.itch.io/ntte

Here's a vod of Sleepcycles trying it out:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/503823043

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I've been messing around with streets of rogue some more and I love it. I like that it's designed kind of like a sandbox and that you can really tailor the game to how you want to play. Plus, it gets hectic as hell at times.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

blackguy32 posted:

I've been messing around with streets of rogue some more and I love it. I like that it's designed kind of like a sandbox and that you can really tailor the game to how you want to play. Plus, it gets hectic as hell at times.

It's really good -- I usually have pretty strong min-max instincts but for some reason I'm able to put those aside with Streets of Rogue and just goof around and try and do cool poo poo even if it's not optimal

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The sheer variety of play in SoR is really amazing. The different classes are worlds apart, and some of them are so radically different that they're almost like playing a different game entirely (Zombie is a great example of this).

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I booted up Griftlands again on the Epic Game Store and it continues to be a ton of fun. It's really polished and they've added a bunch more events, while it sounds like they're adding a second character this Wednesday. As a roguelike deck builder it feels great to play, the card upgrading is solid, and the bimodal combat/negotiation decks is a cool concept that's executed well. I also really like the persistent relationship building, especially now that Loved/Hated statuses are much more unique. Feels like EGS is a great place to find out up-and-coming roguelikes!

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

RoboCicero posted:

I booted up Griftlands again on the Epic Game Store and it continues to be a ton of fun. It's really polished and they've added a bunch more events, while it sounds like they're adding a second character this Wednesday. As a roguelike deck builder it feels great to play, the card upgrading is solid, and the bimodal combat/negotiation decks is a cool concept that's executed well. I also really like the persistent relationship building, especially now that Loved/Hated statuses are much more unique. Feels like EGS is a great place to find out up-and-coming roguelikes!

I have no opinion on Griftlands but this reads like a paid advertisement for EGS

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Mithross posted:

I have no opinion on Griftlands but this reads like a paid advertisement for EGS

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Griftlands is incredibly polished but I feel the deck variety isn't great, each deck has basically two possible, very obvious build paths and there aren't that many good card combos to be had. Plus the runs are super long and while I love the fact that they try to present a story, it makes the game feel a lot more repetitive since you see the same kind of events and stories over and over.

Still, it's pretty alright for a deckbuilding roguelite, hopefully the new character is different enough from the first, but it seems like they'll share many cards, judging from the art.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Griftlands is incredibly polished but I feel the deck variety isn't great, each deck has basically two possible, very obvious build paths and there aren't that many good card combos to be had.
Yeah I kind of got bored with it. Also the balance between attack/defend values is very off if you're used to Slay the Spire. Defensive decks are extremely hard in my experience.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Osmosisch posted:

Yeah I kind of got bored with it. Also the balance between attack/defend values is very off if you're used to Slay the Spire. Defensive decks are extremely hard in my experience.

For sure, defense is a complete afterthought to the point they could remove it altogether. Diplomatic battles use it a bit more since you sometimes want to protect your buffs from attacks.

Social combat feels better than physical combat in general actually, there's a bit more decision making and interesting effects. Physical combat is basically rush to kill and hope your companions get targeted instead of you. Plus there's no real downside to taking every social combat you can, if you get killed you just can't keep doing them until you heal, instead of dying.

I do hope they iterate a bit more between here and release, the quality of the game as a software is top notch but the gameplay needs a lot more. Deck of Ashes is still my favorite Spirelike (that's not StS) despite Klei's efforts .

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Mithross posted:

Nonsense, it's just a friendly and informative rundown of the good content you can find on the Epic Games Store. The Epic Games Store is a great place to find all sorts of new games, not just the big titles! Whatever your tastes, the Epic Games Store has got something for you. And with its lower store fees, you can be sure that more of your money is going straight to support the hard-working developers who make the games you love. I don't know about you, but I think I'll make my next PC gaming purchase on the Epic Games Store.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I suffer from depression too, and at one point I wanted to quit the Epic Games Store. But I realised it was my fault for the problems I was dealing with, and not the Epic Game Store's.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I'd also like to express my fondness for that particular game store.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

oh I wish someone would outline the features, advantages, and benefits of the epic games store

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Peanut Butler posted:

oh I wish someone would outline the features, advantages, and benefits of the epic games store

it is an additional launcher you can download and have on your computer isn't that fantastic

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Peanut Butler posted:

I, too, wish that someone would provide a comprehensive summary of the Epic Games Store to us in song

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
If you do nothing else but get into a nearly over fight in Griftlands just to linger for minutes/hours upon the fantastic Tension Theme---you've done well for yourself.

Hades is also doing extremely well for itself in early access before soon joining in on Early Access---music and all else it is assuredly becoming the finest work yet wrought for Supergiant.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It does give you two free games a week and sometimes they're even good, so that's something.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Everyone knows the weird niche roguelikes are found on itch.io. :colbert:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I tried out Shadow of the Wyrm a bit recently and I want to like it as I love ADOM (in spite of its many flaws) and it's basically an ADOM clone but the content is all fresh to me. But I've no idea how I was supposed avoid the situations that led to my two deaths so far.

First run, I was steamrolling my way through the dungeon on the starter island when something popped out of a wall and paralyzed me and drained all my stats. I was able to drink a couple of potions of unstoning but it just got immediately reapplied both times and I died unable to do anything else. I never had a chance to run, and never saw the enemy coming. Second death was steamrolling in the same dungeon, on a fairly early floor. I was on full health, walking down a corridor with no enemies in sight when I got a the message "A great knight bids your spirit to follow. You die..." Um, what? I don't even know what the gently caress that was. The dev has something in the intro about how every death in a roguelike should teach you something but I have no idea what happened there let alone why or how I could have avoided it.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Sounds like ADOM alright

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

In ADOM at least I'd see whatever killed me coming and have a chance to run away even if I didn't take it. I don't even know if that great knight was an actual monster in the game or just a message for some instant death that happened because ???

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, that sounds "gnome with a wand of death" grade unavoidable. For all I can tell that was an insta-kill attack that works from off-screen, which is just kind of bullshit.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is the lesson you're supposed to learn "Have a bigger light radius" and/or "Have better resists by then", which might make sense. Or just gently caress you, either/or really.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

This username doesn't come from nowhere.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Serephina posted:

Is the lesson you're supposed to learn "Have a bigger light radius" and/or "Have better resists by then", which might make sense. Or just gently caress you, either/or really.

Well it was the starter dungeon and I was wearing all the resists I’d found. I don’t know what lesson I was supposed to learn, but the one I’m taking away is “don’t play the game”

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Near as I can tell, Shadow of the Wyrm is like ADOM in that it has no separate light sources per se, so your vision radius (outside of probably the odd utility spell or magic item) is pretty much a fixed value. Torches and Lamps are more of an Angband thing.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Mithross posted:

I'm sorry! I've been replaying Griftlands and got a bit too excited to post about it and our benevolent game storefront, EGS

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Social combat feels better than physical combat in general actually, there's a bit more decision making and interesting effects. Physical combat is basically rush to kill and hope your companions get targeted instead of you. Plus there's no real downside to taking every social combat you can, if you get killed you just can't keep doing them until you heal, instead of dying.

I do hope they iterate a bit more between here and release, the quality of the game as a software is top notch but the gameplay needs a lot more. Deck of Ashes is still my favorite Spirelike (that's not StS) despite Klei's efforts .
It requires a bit of foreknowledge, but I know I've had to pass up a few critical negotiations towards the end of the day because I ran out of resolve. Almost every boss fight lets you recruit a helper to even the odds (The bouncer on day 1, the bouncer on day 2 + the dock workers I believe, day 3 you get the oshu merchant if you help the government/ don't remember the other route) which helps, especially if you're running low on health because you haven't been taking Diplomacy missions. I'm definitely interested in where it goes considering how good Invisible Inc was.

Will have to check out Deck of Ashes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

poemdexter posted:

Everyone knows the weird niche roguelikes are found on itch.io. :colbert:

Do you or other posters have some recs for good roguelikes/lites on itch that are not on Steam?

Hell I guess, "rogues that are not on Steam" generally would be nice to know about, I haven't been searching around much.