Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Spelunky 2 seems like it's harder than the first game in the beginning, roughly on-par with the first game in the middle (depending on your route), and then once again becomes harder in the secret/endgame stuff. I personally like it, I got a few wins but was never godlike at the first game, and after a certain point you could sort of sleep your way through world 1. Now there's a lot more there to keep you on your toes, and some extra risk/reward mechanics and decisions to make that keep runs engaging from the very beginning. Still haven't won though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I played the original pre-HD spelunky to death, played the HD version with hundreds of wins, and it still took me over 600 runs before my first win in Spelunky 2. The beginning area does not gently caress around.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

poemdexter posted:

I played the original pre-HD spelunky to death, played the HD version with hundreds of wins, and it still took me over 600 runs before my first win in Spelunky 2. The beginning area does not gently caress around.

Jeez, you already had time to play 600 runs of Spelunky 2?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Turin Turambar posted:

I got it day 1 on PS4. I already quit playing it over a week ago.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

also, based on my experience with it last night, it turns out a lot of your runs in spelunky 2 don’t take very much time at all!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ok. Given my brief time with Spelunky 1 seemed hard for me, and me not having interesting in playing 500 times until I get a single win... is there accessibility/difficulty settings in the game?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

also, based on my experience with it last night, it turns out a lot of your runs in spelunky 2 don’t take very much time at all!

I'd say probably half of my runs are me hitting pause and instant restart because i took 2 damage on the first or second level. I probably also play a little faster and a little more reckless because I'm used to mechanics a little more like cooking bombs, using backswing on whip to kill enemies above me, and NEVER STOP SPRINTING.

If I could go back to day 1, I'd probably turn always sprint off since I know there's a chunk of my deaths due to me bumping into something because I tapped a direction and went too far.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Turin Turambar posted:

Ok. Given my brief time with Spelunky 1 seemed hard for me, and me not having interesting in playing 500 times until I get a single win... is there accessibility/difficulty settings in the game?

I don't think there are any, but definitely turn off auto sprint. Also realize that I'm absolute garbage at most roguelikes because I will 100% go for the high risk/high reward scenario regardless of odds as well as having my eye on that "beat game in 10 minutes" achievement. I know there was another goon in the Spelunky thread that got their first win after about 100 runs. If you're careful and pay attention to your surroundings, you'll be fine. On my first win, I found an early jet pack and cheesed it through the whole game incredibly carefully.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Turin Turambar posted:

With my average run time this would take me like... 10-20 hours lmao.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Not that Spelunky isn't great, but it does have a tinge of Dead Cells syndrome -- it's fun to go fast, but the solution to most problems or dangers is to go slower. Still having problems? That wasn't slow enough; go even slower than that.

Spelunky at least has the ghost to provide a ceiling for such stalling, though.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Roguelike Celebration 2020, a conference about Roguelikes, is starting in around 10 minutes. I've seen some other goons in person at previous years but, you know, Coronavirus. On the upside it's online and free and held inside a custom MUD-like browser client, which is pretty cool. You can grab a ticket here https://www.eventbrite.com/e/roguelike-celebration-2020-tickets-115662964039 just scroll down and enter $0 if you want to just check it out.

Full disclose I'm one of the people who contributed to the client, so I'm not sure if this counts as self promotion, but I can pull it if it is.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

Full disclose I'm one of the people who contributed to the client, so I'm not sure if this counts as self promotion, but I can pull it if it is.

It looks and feels really nice! I'll be hoping in the conference from time to time, can't miss a chance to hear about procedural generation.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

Roguelike Celebration 2020, a conference about Roguelikes, is starting in around 10 minutes. I've seen some other goons in person at previous years but, you know, Coronavirus. On the upside it's online and free and held inside a custom MUD-like browser client, which is pretty cool. You can grab a ticket here https://www.eventbrite.com/e/roguelike-celebration-2020-tickets-115662964039 just scroll down and enter $0 if you want to just check it out.

The listed lectures sound super interesting. Thanks for the reminder!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
There was a bunch of discussion on Monster Train and I picked it up yesterday. I've played a handful of runs and I was just wondering if they ever get longer or more intricate? Obviously it gets more difficult with Covenant stuff, but more along the lines of picking up more cards and artifacts? Feels like you only ever get a smattering of either and you're already at the end of the run. I'm sure my understanding is a bit limited given I've only played a little and not watched anything, but it just seems to revolve around rolling into a random couple of units/spells, stripping your deck of trash, and buffing and duplicating those cards.

I especially don't feel much of the greed/punishment of taking harder routes for better loot like I did in StS, or in balancing a macro gameplan vs survival right now.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The games never get longer and the overall routing options stay the way they are, but higher covenants pressure you into thinking ahead more and weighing your immediate options. It's just not that kind of game re: pathing and number of drafts

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Jeza posted:

There was a bunch of discussion on Monster Train and I picked it up yesterday. I've played a handful of runs and I was just wondering if they ever get longer or more intricate? Obviously it gets more difficult with Covenant stuff, but more along the lines of picking up more cards and artifacts? Feels like you only ever get a smattering of either and you're already at the end of the run. I'm sure my understanding is a bit limited given I've only played a little and not watched anything, but it just seems to revolve around rolling into a random couple of units/spells, stripping your deck of trash, and buffing and duplicating those cards.

I especially don't feel much of the greed/punishment of taking harder routes for better loot like I did in StS, or in balancing a macro gameplan vs survival right now.
I think that's roughly accurate. The fun of the game was just messing around with the mechanics of it for me but I wasn't particularly interested in going much further than getting a cov 25 win and winning a run with each faction pair. That took me 50 hours so it was a good purchase but there's a fundamental mechanic that really makes the game not that interesting for me long-term (forced banner unit draw on turn 1 and turn 2).

The devs are motivated and I wish it had as much to offer as Spire long-term, but I just don't think there are enough decisions in deckbuilding.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 6, 2020

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Jeza posted:

The optional challenges get really challenging later on in higher covenant ranks. At the low end, taking 20-30 damage for an early reward might be worth it. At the high end you're starting with half health, and enemies are deadlier and more numerous, so it's not so good a deal.

And yeah, Monster Hunter pretty much requires you to find a powerful gimmick, lean into it, and win off the back of that gimmick, which usually involves duplicating cards. There's a lot less situational play than in Slay the Spire, and decks tend to be more focused around one strong thing.

Granted, there are a lot of really strong things that are available, and getting to the point where you have a strong thing to deploy is a lot of fun.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
I just returned to Monster Train after a hiatus, apparently they've added an alternative leader card for the factions at some point. The dude that can be eaten multiple times seems, uh, fair.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Everything in Monster Train is overpowered but the game is still hard ad balls. That's why it's great.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Never expected Ziggurat to have a sequel, but looks like one is coming out later this month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_iUAA8N6kU

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1159560/Ziggurat_2/

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Harminoff posted:

Never expected Ziggurat to have a sequel, but looks like one is coming out later this month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_iUAA8N6kU

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1159560/Ziggurat_2/

Hm. The big things lacking about the original Ziggaurat were gunfeel and control over your build, so hopefully this improves on those things.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Roluth posted:

Hm. The big things lacking about the original Ziggaurat were gunfeel and control over your build, so hopefully this improves on those things.
I played this again recently, and can only confirm. Everything felt weak and your main inexhaustible weapon always felt like it was running out of juice. Very pretty and well-put-together otherwise.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly I've always really, really liked Ziggurat. It was only recently with Gunfire Reborn that I found a good replacement FPS Roguelike, so I'm super interested to see how Ziggurat 2 turns out.

And honestly, as far as gunfeel goes, I've felt like the Alchemy weapons at least always felt pretty good and hefty. Staves and Books definitely didn't feel great though.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I always liked Ziggurat more than Immortal Redneck. Maybe it's because I'm good at platformers and real bad at FPSes, but the same incremental upgrades felt fine in Rogue Legacy, not too necessary to get them too high, but Immortal Redneck felt like there was a VERY hard cap in each area, like eventually I managed to beat the first area, and when I got to the second everything was taking shitloads of damage and killed me in a couple hits, and it was pretty clear I'd need a lot of grinding to upgrade myself to the point where I could stand a reasonable chance of beating it.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

John Lee posted:

I always liked Ziggurat more than Immortal Redneck. Maybe it's because I'm good at platformers and real bad at FPSes, but the same incremental upgrades felt fine in Rogue Legacy, not too necessary to get them too high, but Immortal Redneck felt like there was a VERY hard cap in each area, like eventually I managed to beat the first area, and when I got to the second everything was taking shitloads of damage and killed me in a couple hits, and it was pretty clear I'd need a lot of grinding to upgrade myself to the point where I could stand a reasonable chance of beating it.

I liked Ziggurat more than Redneck because while there were some questionable sidegrade perks, at least there weren't straight up negative perks in the perk pool that you couldn't tell what they were until you picked them up.

Really weird decision.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Immortal Redneck does win for strangest title, though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1443430/Rogue/

:thunk:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Can't wait for the articles arguing that it's not a roguelike.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Spelunky is such a neat game. Roguelikes are all about planning and make use of your resources, which is very spelunky but adding in the mechanical physical effort of planning a path then executing on it and thriving based on the value of the plan, but also in the pressure cooker of often needing to move. You have to adjust to so many incoming variables in such a rapid time.

I'm reminded of Crypt of the Necrodancer and Celeste. Celeste is all about doing this kind of intense platform movement plotting but usually at your own pace. And Necrodancer is all about experiencing new threats and internalizing responses to them.

Spelunky is good.

I am very bad at Spelunky.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

poemdexter posted:

Can't wait for the articles arguing that it's not a roguelike.
I mean, it isn't. doom is not a doomlike

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Missing a lot of typical roguelike features like metaprogression, tiles, builds, and an easier mode for accessibility imo. Nice try as an entry but this is so different from the typical roguelike (something like binding of isaac or dead cells) as to be in a completely different genre.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Did the needful, and I request everybody follow suit to get it on the list:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

By content, rogue is 100% roguelike.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I disagree. If you have two identical cups of water, one of those things isn't a water and the other isn't a water-like. They are both water.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
reading that post makes me feel like i am having a mental break
e: i think its the repetion of water...

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 9, 2020

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
So roguelikes aren't roguelikes, but they are instead rogues. Rogue is a rogue and nethack is a rogue. Hades is a roguelike, which is a thing that is like a rogue. Monster train is a roguelite, which is a thing that is like a roguelike.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Being a tautology doesn’t mean it’s not true. Rogue is a roguelike, because it has many traits in common with Rogue.

perc2
May 16, 2020

Oh look it's yet another discussion about what is and isn't a roguelike. This definitely hasn't been happening since the dawn of time and boring the gently caress out of everyone

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Does that make this discussion a roguelike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
everything is a roguelike if you just wish hard enough