Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yes i would agree, paladin and priest are the easiest classes to win with. the utility of the divine spellbooks is very, very high. dunedain and high elf are, of course, always going to be the strongest choices if you're not speedrunning, but dwarf is perfectly respectable too.

the key thing about surviving in angband is, know when to fold 'em. you've got infinite dungeon to clear, so don't get too attached to any particular floor; if you need to run, you aren't losing anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I haven't played Angband in years, but I used to be really good at it, so I want to comment on some of that...

perc2 posted:

I think the default birth options are the best in v4. No selling of items but increased gold find is great because it greatly streamlines and speeds up playtime, and that's on by default now.
Yes, 100%. More games need to not reward hoarding loot to sell. It's not even valuable loot! It's everywhere! Shopkeepers just pay money for it for who knows what reason and that breaks our little lizard brains so when you're diving the dungeon, you're stopping every five minutes to agonize over what to keep in your overstuffed backpack. No selling (actually "items sell for 0GP" -- shopkeepers will identify stuff for you and then be happy to sell it back) fixes that nicely.

quote:

I don't think the races really have that much of an impact unless you try to pair them up in bad combinations, i.e. trying to play a Half-Troll Mage. But you might want to consider going with a race that has good stats like a Dunadan or High Elf, which necessitates a slower pace of play due to the XP mod, but helps with early game survivability if you're willing to grind more.
When I played at least, Half-Trolls had enhanced mana regeneration in addition to enhanced HP regen. Couple that with STR, CON, and HP all being very important stats and HT mages are surprisingly viable. You need to lean on attack wands for killing things until you get more mana, but mages should be doing that anyway.

quote:

I think Priest is a decent, uncomplicated 'survivor' class as Detect Evil and healing spells can save your bacon throughout the entire run if you don't want to go standard sword and board. Magic users like Mage and Necromancer are a bit more advanced and squishy.
Definitely true. Angband mages demand you know what you're doing. Priests do too but to a lesser extent since having big healing spells can get you out of a lot of trouble.

quote:

Really, the key to ascending in Angband is making sure you hit gear milestones as you dive. Because getting out of dodge is generally cheap, the danger in this game comes from being caught off guard by a resistance. Speed also becomes important. The classic spoilers have something like this:
This, on the other hand, is incredibly dangerous thinking. The problem is that it creates an overly-simplistic "safety" mentality: "if I have X before I visit Y depth, then I am safe". It ignores why these abilities are important (due to specific monsters that become more common as you go deeper), and also ignores the fact that monsters can and will show up before the depth that is indicated in the list. It also encourages players to play in a very slow, grindy fashion, which leads to tedium, boredom, mistakes, and death. Finally, as the person who wrote The Angband Newbie Guide I'm getting tired of seeing stuff I wrote more than twenty loving years ago get dragged out and preached as gospel when a) the game is completely different now, and b) it wasn't even good advice when it was written. :v:

Instead, keep in mind what protections you have and what you don't, and pick your battles accordingly. No resistance to nether? Maybe stay away from big undead. Not immune to being blinded? Carry extra potions and staves, both of which can be used without sight.

Anyway, I say, keep diving until you get your teeth kicked in, figure out what you could have done to avoid that death, then try again. Typically avoiding death means not getting into fights that have the potential to kill you. Angband is a game that's at least as much about careful navigation of the dungeon and predicting how fights will go as it is about the actual fighting. Use detection liberally, and if you see a nasty monster next to other nasty monsters, go somewhere else. Or at least try to lure them away from their buddies one at a time. Always have an exit button and push that fucker as soon as things start to hint that they might be heading in the direction of going badly. And your exit button should not be Teleport Self once you get into the midgame, just because the dungeon gets so dense and dangerous that you're liable to teleport into something at least as bad as what you were running away from. Teleport Level and Word of Destruction are much more reliable.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I booted up Tangledeep on my Switch for the first time in, gosh, probably a year and a half. Seems like there's a new expansion that was added to the game for free. That's cool!

I only cleared it once with a Floramancer + Hunter (I think it was Hunter) combo. Any one have suggestions for a melee build this time around? I'm thinking of doing a Brigand > Budoka build.

perc2
May 16, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This, on the other hand, is incredibly dangerous thinking. The problem is that it creates an overly-simplistic "safety" mentality: "if I have X before I visit Y depth, then I am safe". It ignores why these abilities are important (due to specific monsters that become more common as you go deeper), and also ignores the fact that monsters can and will show up before the depth that is indicated in the list. It also encourages players to play in a very slow, grindy fashion, which leads to tedium, boredom, mistakes, and death. Finally, as the person who wrote The Angband Newbie Guide I'm getting tired of seeing stuff I wrote more than twenty loving years ago get dragged out and preached as gospel when a) the game is completely different now, and b) it wasn't even good advice when it was written. :v:

Instead, keep in mind what protections you have and what you don't, and pick your battles accordingly. No resistance to nether? Maybe stay away from big undead. Not immune to being blinded? Carry extra potions and staves, both of which can be used without sight.

Sure, fair enough. The old spoilers was just rough illustration for lack of finding a more up-to-date one, but I think the general order still holds in v4. I think my mindset is that a returning player isn't going to have an internal knowledge or monster memory at hand necessarily, which is why I wanted to stress covering bases to not get caught out; but you're right that playing it to the letter and trying to grind out each one is just no fun at all anyway. You just might not know when to run unless you build out the MM.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

the most important thing to know about vanilla is Teleport Other.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

I booted up Tangledeep on my Switch for the first time in, gosh, probably a year and a half. Seems like there's a new expansion that was added to the game for free. That's cool!

I only cleared it once with a Floramancer + Hunter (I think it was Hunter) combo. Any one have suggestions for a melee build this time around? I'm thinking of doing a Brigand > Budoka build.

Sword dancer is nice, you may combine it with the Paladin class (mmm can't remember the name)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

perc2 posted:

Sure, fair enough. The old spoilers was just rough illustration for lack of finding a more up-to-date one, but I think the general order still holds in v4. I think my mindset is that a returning player isn't going to have an internal knowledge or monster memory at hand necessarily, which is why I wanted to stress covering bases to not get caught out; but you're right that playing it to the letter and trying to grind out each one is just no fun at all anyway. You just might not know when to run unless you build out the MM.

I understand the impetus, but unfortunately I think there just isn't a good substitute for learning what each monster can do. On a related note, I highly recommend using the cheat to have full monster knowledge, or else learning to read the resource files (which is just a less convenient way to know said monster knowledge). IMO getting blindsided because an enemy can hit you for 800 poison damage and you didn't realize it could go that high isn't a fun way to die, and unfortunately Angband has a lot of that kind of monster.

For what it's worth, the only abilities on that list that I'd consider to be a hard requirement at any point are Free Action, See Invisible, the basic 4 resistances (fire/cold/acid/electricity), and temporary speed of at least +30 (to avoid Morgoth being able to double-turn you). People have beaten the game with artifactless egoless bookless mages, which just goes to show how little that other stuff is "required". It does of course make things considerably easier to have them, but don't think you can't win without 'em. The only elements Morgoth has access to are mana (which cannot be resisted) and nether, so if you have enough HP to survive a manastorm and enough speed to not get hit by two of them back-to-back without getting a turn in, that's what really counts in the endgame.

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

the most important thing to know about vanilla is Teleport Other.

Yeah, TOing problematic monsters is an excellent solution to many problems.

perc2
May 16, 2020

People have beaten the game with artifactless egoless bookless mages

drat, are there any ladder dumps or YT runs I can see of this if you recall?

EDIT: I've just started Googling challenge runs and this forced descent one will keep me going for a while at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_caNGTMJa0

perc2 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 25, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I found a couple of ladder dumps for egoless mages, but not bookless.

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10802
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10718

I honestly don't remember who did the bookless run, which makes it more or less impossible to search the ladder. Sorry. But imagine that they have a giant stack of Wands of Annihilation and a bunch of Mushrooms of Terror (for the speed boost), along with Rods of Detection, Staves of Teleport/Destruction, Scrolls of Recharging, etc. Gear probably was Power Dragon Scale Mail, a +6 CON ring, a high-plus speed ring (+17 or +18 if they were really lucky), a selection of amulets (Magi, Thievery, Weaponmastery, Telepathy) to swap between, and not much else to keep weight under control.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Jedit posted:

You mean you weren't already clearing Hard VII with all eight classes?

I've been leveling up the Mechanic. Assembly is looking like the strongest strategy; Mechanical Rabbit combined with Assembly Station gets absurd fairly quickly, especially when you have Rocket Booster and a couple of other attacks and actions that play all attacks in your top 3-5 cards. I'm still unlocking synergies though. There's a lot of stuff that lets you stack Frailty sky high and it may be possible to build a deck that exiles the enemy's entire deck and board.

Only so many hours in the day.

Reducing cost by playing other cards was a good trick in Magician, glad to see it get reused. Personally I keep chasing the all actions for effects cards. Plenty of ways to boost actions. It gets pretty nuts if you can find the card that triggers all such effects.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

IMO getting blindsided because an enemy can hit you for 800 poison damage and you didn't realize it could go that high isn't a fun way to die, and unfortunately Angband has a lot of that kind of monster.
Prophetic:

This was on DL 42, so about in line with my previous runs and not bad for not having played in a year. I went with a High-Elf Paladin, probably not using spells as much as I should have (it took ages to find the second spellbook). I'd been thinking for most of the game about how I didn't have poison resistance but I stubbornly did not want to use a ring slot for that, especially when nothing else was hitting me particularly hard.

I'm struggling a bit with inventory management too, which I remember being a problem before:

r-u are items I'd picked up on the floor I died on, and I know I could cut down a lot of weight (the 6 staves, too many remove hunger scrolls), but are there things there I shouldn't bother with or that are missing? As I accumulate rods I tend to load up on them and ignore wands/staves.

Also, how do I turn on full monster memory?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

if you wamt to fix your inventory problems, turn on the option that disables selling but makes more money drop. if you have that option on, why did you pick up the ring of digging?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That mostly looks good. The main things that stand out to me are:
  • Depending on your loadout, you may be able to just eat up to full when you're in town and then graze off of found food in the dungeon to deal with hunger. Try not carrying any Remove Hunger scrolls, or at least ditching them first when you run into inventory trouble.
  • Are you actually getting value from Slow/Hold Monster? I know that the status-effect wands/rods got made more reliable at some point but I don't remember how good they are.
  • Curing on the other hand is garbage. Anything that it can cure that's urgent, you use a potion for; if it's not urgent, then you can just rest it off. Or use a potion anyway.
  • A single Drain Life rod isn't worth the space it occupies. You're better off carrying a stack of ammo for more burst offense. With a decent launcher the ammo will deal more damage too.
  • Carry either the wand or the rod of Teleport Other, not both. A big stack of rods of TO is worth saving up for the lategame because some lategame enemies (including Morgoth) can drain charges from wands/staves when they hit you in melee, so I'd carry the wand in preference for now.

As for your death: a) my condolences, and b) did you not know that that dragon was around? Dragons are evil, you should be able to detect them reliably. Green dragons breathe poison; if you don't resist it then you should be avoiding them. Well, not baby/young/mature greens since they're weak, but Ancient Greens and Great Swamp Wyrms are no bueno. The easiest way to not lose a fight is to not fight it, and your goal is to not lose long enough to win.

Angband requires a lot of vigilance and careful play if you're going to win consistently. You're almost always one bad move from death, which is more stringent than most modern roguelikes and, I think, most other classic roguelikes as well.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I think food is abundant enough that I wasn't really using Remove Hunger scrolls anyway, so I could probably ditch them and just recall if I'm starving. Slow I think is helping me, I fire them off when something dangerous is about to hit melee range, but you're right that Hold/Cure/Drain Life weren't doing much. I had a bunch of elemental rods in storage that I should've used instead.

I knew the dragon was there, I just hadn't run into ancients of any type and didn't expect the power difference between that and mature to be quite so big. I was going to see what the first hit was like and decide from there if I could handle it, but one hit was too many. This was a new download so I had no monster memory, but I did just find the instructions to fill that out for next run.

Elephant Parade posted:

if you wamt to fix your inventory problems, turn on the option that disables selling but makes more money drop. if you have that option on, why did you pick up the ring of digging?
I do have the option on but I didn't have the digging rune yet so that was just a turquoise ring I was going to bring back to toss to a shop to ID. I actually hadn't been carrying a digging item for most of the game but after I ran into a couple vaults I couldn't break into I remembered that was something I needed to have if my weapon couldn't crack granite.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Is there a version of IVAN that doesn't have the Simpsons sfx? It's so annoying.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

habituallyred posted:

Only so many hours in the day.

Reducing cost by playing other cards was a good trick in Magician, glad to see it get reused. Personally I keep chasing the all actions for effects cards. Plenty of ways to boost actions. It gets pretty nuts if you can find the card that triggers all such effects.

Yep, I've been doing that as well. And indeed, it is possible to exile the enemy's entire deck. On turn 1, if you get a good build. It doesn't seem to work on the Cursed Werewolf though - he seems to have a certain number of cards that can't be removed or are replaced immediately if they are.

perc2
May 16, 2020

Armor-Piercing posted:

Also, how do I turn on full monster memory?

Monster memory I thought was under Options -> Cheat options, but that's something different, apparently the solution is here.

Re: Inventory, in addition to what was said, I don't think you needed 3 rods of Treasure Detection, and the digging ring is probably overkill.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In the last days I have been playing a roguelite in EA, I, Dracula: Genesis, and it's a pretty drat weird game.

First, it's metaprogression heavy. It advances at a good pace for the first hours, but drat there are more than 400 'things' to unlock. And it's still in EA.That includes both things you use (weapons, perks) but also new enemies, new scenario objects like types of spikes or explosive barrels, and even unlock basic mechanics like choosing class. In fact you have to unlock individual classes, AND the ability to pick classes, AND later the ability of picking one class from three choices.

The game has a weird art style where everything looks very alien, and more to the 'disgusting' side of things, which may not be everyone's cup. Just because of that, I don't see this game ever reaching mainstream appeal. Like, the gently caress is this?

Believe me, there are very bizarre enemies and weapons in this game.

Apart from the bad tittle. "I, Dracula: Genesis"? Jesus it would better to put some generic rear end roguelite title.

The game needs to improve in core action mechanics, like movement and weapon fire. The movement doesn't seem to be designed together the rest of the game. The combat scenarios are islands surrounded by radioactive waste, some of them a fairly small, and some of the jump abilities of some characters are fairly big, so once you take a single perk that boost the jump, you have situations where a simple jump will get you out of the island and getting hurt. And the character is very uncontrollable while jumping. In general the movement is a bit floaty which given you have to avoid enemy fire, and spikes, turrets, and more, it doesn't feel good enough. The weapon fire issue comes from a lack of nice weapon feel, a combination of slow projectiles, lack of impact on enemies, etc.

So what the game has on the good side? Well, it's subjective this is 'good' but the game has a kitchen sink approach to design that I find at least interesting . Let's see, while you play, the game has:

Weapons:
1 sidearm with infinite ammo
Up to 4 mores standard weapons
1 special weapon, which recharges upon use of normal weapons
every weapon can have a random attribute modifier and weapon mods, some of them change the weapon a lot.
1 consumable item slot
1 special relic slot, and another one which I don't even know what is for lol
2 skill scroll slots, which have a mana cost and/or cooldown.

Weapon have their own ammo (game drops only ammo for your weapons), and some have to be reloaded. You have health, mana, max health and max mana of course, radiation which decreases you max health, energy for the special weapon, speed, jump distance and height, and there are some more misc stats, because I found perks which would increase my 'luck', range , jump cooldown, etc.

There is a big list of passive item/perks/relics. There are four inventory slots (helmet, boots, armor, backpack) which to be honest I still haven't even unlocked.

When you start the game, you have to choose character:

world/rift, from four choices each one more difficulty with different parameters like extra anomalies

fury level which is something new, it seems to be like Ascension levels from StS

Class, from three random picks

Special conditions

optionally buy a special relic with specially rare (need to kill bosses) currency

And in the game, as the 400+ progress indicates, there are a ton of stuff. Just in the world I found several types of boxes, each one opens up in a different way. You have wooden boxes, metal boxes (explosives), special boxes (energy), mana boxes (drain mana) and spiked boxes (drain health).
There are a big variety in elements found in the islands, like gravity fields, spikes, hidden mines, explosive or radioactive barrels, energy fields, enemy dispensers, turrets of different types, teleporters, jump pads, phase teleporters that make you immaterial, bouncy mushroom fields, fire grates, etc.
There are usable items, health dispenses, generator boxes, machines to reroll hp or mana, status of different gods to pray (different gods have different effects of course), shops, temples with fps minigames, commstations which trigger special fghts, time challenges, spike challenges, terminals with hacking minigames, curses, there are a dozen of different trader npcs (soldiers, priests, traders, aliens, robots, dinosaurs, lost souls, madmen, etc) each one with a different set of 3 options. There are anomalies sometimes, that are gameplay mutators which just apply to the current island.
And of course there is a fuckton onf enemies, weapons, weapon mods and perks.

edit: the post was so long I forgot some other stuff I wanted to comment:

The game does a pair of small things I really like: you can recycle any weapon, item or even unused npc-trader, and you recieve something in return, some coins, but in case of weapons usually some ammo too or even new perks. So when you swap special weapons and drop one one the ground or the options of a npc don't convince you, you always can recycle them instead of leaving it there.
Another thing I liked is how you unlock most of this stuff. The game is metaprogression heavy as explained, but at least they do it in a special, showy way. The first time you find a perk, consumable or weapon, it appears with a lock. You have to "use" it, which teleports you in an arena where you receive that item and have to clear the arena to unlock it permanently and receive it in the current run. It's a nice way to have a fight separate from the rest of the game where you can try the new thing and see clearly their effects.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 27, 2020

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There was a very old mobile game that was going to be called iDracula. It was a barebones twin-stick shooter though.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The horizons can only be so greedy and vast when The Dream is so clearly a Roguelike'ish crack at The Chaos Engine/Soldiers of Fortune anew~

They've been on a strange update cadence to boot, but I would suppose this is one where the eventual, monstrous, oft inscrutable Gestalt will ultimately carry the day.

Speaking of enormous tells, the big Rogue Legacy 2 update landed and it is truly Massive:

https://roguelegacy2.com/patchnotes/v020

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I liked everything about I Dracula except the nauseating faux-isometric view and the unforgivably ugly square-headed player characters. The rest of the art looks great ina. gonzo way, why did you make the player look like Minecraft Steve?!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

packetmantis posted:

I liked everything about I Dracula except the nauseating faux-isometric view and the unforgivably ugly square-headed player characters. The rest of the art looks great ina. gonzo way, why did you make the player look like Minecraft Steve?!

There is some glaring omissions like enemies can't be seen in some places because the isometric view, like behind houses, big trees, etc. They need enemies to have an outline when behind stuff, like in other similar games.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The game in general looks like an ad you would see on newgrounds or miniclip back in the day, except it's not a bait and the whole game actually looks like that

anyways here's a bug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQS8Op3lOkg

perc2
May 16, 2020

ExiledTinkerer posted:

The horizons can only be so greedy and vast when The Dream is so clearly a Roguelike'ish crack at The Chaos Engine/Soldiers of Fortune anew~

They've been on a strange update cadence to boot, but I would suppose this is one where the eventual, monstrous, oft inscrutable Gestalt will ultimately carry the day.

Speaking of enormous tells, the big Rogue Legacy 2 update landed and it is truly Massive:

https://roguelegacy2.com/patchnotes/v020

I know this wasn't a sober post but thanks for the update, going to drop something on RL2 now.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

does anyone have any passionate thoughts about black future '88?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The Future Guns & Systemic Intrigue With Some Amount of Procedural Somethings Wars rage sleekly onward:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/529970/PositronX/

Looks neat, big update to mark it escaping from Early Access, hopeful hopes abound~

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
1.7 stable is out now for ToME, necro rework seems real neat.
Bone giants can get 'You Shall Be My Weapon!' :>

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
drat, are all my addons going to break? I just got to a point where I was happy with them. rip

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hell yeah, in this chaotic world TOME4 is always there to center me.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

prediction: changes to the way rares do talent selection will cause horrible things at some point, probably.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Big updates for Jupiter Hell and Bonfire, among others like ADOM Ultimate as well today---all sorts of everything seems to be popping off for Halloween's weekend tied to the Steam sales and just in defiant spite of waking reality in general as one does~

Were there not already one recently, I'd half expect yet another potent Demon one at this rate.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Necro changes in Tome seem cool. Feels like a summoner but with a lot less micro

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Tome patch looks good but I wanted to wait till the next expansion to get back into it. Was kinda hoping that was gonna be this year.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah i love ToME, but the Madness victory grind kinda wore me out more than i thought. It's probably gonna take another year or two before i can look at it again.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

they nerfed track to be radius zero and scale with your cunning. lmao. why.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So I'm playing Tangledeep. Just ran through a wanderer's journey/story thing and I'm back at the camp with a sweet relic sword as my reward. Except I'm all in on fists. I can't deposit it in my bank, despite the bank not being full and having twice the required deposit fee.

Can anyone explain what's preventing me from depositing this sword? I'd love to stash it away and use it on a later character.

I like this game but documentation about playing it seems to be scarce.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Guys, quick, this is important: Are there any Roguelikes where you play as/have the option to play as a bee?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Magitek posted:

Guys, quick, this is important: Are there any Roguelikes where you play as/have the option to play as a bee?

Isn't there a class in ToME that can posses enemies? There are plenty of bee enemies.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Magitek posted:

You can turn into a bee in Nethack, but it's not permanent and also probably wouldn't be all that interesting to play as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Magitek posted:

without checking I'm just going to assume you can in elona+