Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Wizard of Legend is cool as hell but it has a real problem with almost every single spell being strong enough to trivialize the game. Barring non-attack spells I think I've only unlocked one or two spells so far that aren't spammable or low-cooldown AoEs that stunlock and knockback every enemy in the game except for bosses. Also most enemies are melee and the ones that aren't have very heavily telegraphed attacks that you will incidentally avoid just by nature of the fact that you're constantly moving. As long as you use ranged spells and don't stop attacking nothing will ever get close to you, and there aren't very many melee spells to use.

It has some creative spells that I'd love to see fleshed out into full caster types in other games - like the one that summons 4 giant chess knights to leap away from you and land on enemies. I want a full-fledged chess wizard damnit.

I don't have any major complaints other than the difficulty (and it's still a challenge through attrition anyway - the moment-to-moment combat isn't hard but there's not much healing available), it's a blast to play and I still haven't stopped finding new abilities to unlock. Every ability feels fresh and different. It was worth the purchase for me but I'm also a sucker for the genre - this one got me away from Synthetik at least!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah, that's my one big complaint so far - getting hit at the wrong moment while a bunch of little shadow guys are chasing you, or ever getting hit by a toxic bola at all, can pretty easily result in taking like 300 damage in about a second.

The melee spells are by far the most fun though :colbert: Stone fist + stone drill + frozen cross 4 lyfe

I just found Frozen Cross for the first time and it rules - had a pretty good run with Stone Fist + Frozen Cross + Chess Knights and uhh, I forget the name of it but the Earth-based leap. I found another good melee spell too but I forget the name of it because I picked it up mid-run rather than unlock it - it was a wind-based one that did a very short dash forward and gathered up enemies in a multi-hit aoe tornado kind of thing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Unormal posted:

We're raising the price of Caves of Qud in 10 days, so this is as cheap as it's going to get for a long while.

https://twitter.com/cavesofqud/stat...r%3D317%23pti21

Other people have said it but CoQ is one of the two games I consistently go back and play years later (the other one is Rimworld). If you like roguelikes and haven't played it this is pretty much the best one there is

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

Stoneshard is out but the negative reviews make it sound extremely thin on content, and what’s there has some issues.

I bought it and refunded it after 20 minutes - the presentation is great but it leads to a lot of time-wastey moments where you sit around waiting for an enemy's spell animation to finish before you can make your next move. They're tiny little 1-2 second pauses but there were so many of them it ruined my whole roguelike cadence

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Did this just come out of nowhere like, a few weeks ago, or am I just really bad at keeping up with developments in the roguelike space these days? I feel like I hadn't heard anything about it up until super recently.

The free demo of it was on the first page of the "new & trending" section of the main Steam store page for me for like 18 straight months, I think is was one of those games where the devs kept adjusting the release date to keep in it "new & trending" even after it had been around forever. It was actually the reason I stopped paying attention to that section so to be fair to the game when I bought it and refunded it 20 minutes later I was already looking for reasons to dislike it

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I hate rhythm games so I avoided necrodancer for a long time, I eventually picked it up for whatever reason and found that it has a character that can be played that turns off the rhythm thing.

I still don't enjoy playing any of the other characters but it's still a pretty entertaining roguelike this way as long as you make yourself play quickly instead of deliberating about moves (which makes it waaaaay too obvious and easy)

I don't know if I would pay full price if you only plan to play without the rhythm gimmick but I bought it on sale for like $5 and felt like it was worth it. It's good this way for a turn-off-your-brain kind of roguelike which are rare, the only other ones I can think of that are easy to play mindlessly are golden krone hotel and doomRL (which are probably the better games if you're just playing the no-rhythm guy but hell, variety is nice sometimes)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 11, 2020

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Approaching Infinity is sort of cool. So far all of the named planets I've seen are tasteful, I think the names are curated. They've all been celebrity names or phrases like "The Shortest Straw" it's really not any different from graveyard files in online terminal roguelikes.

I'm just not sure how much there really is to it. I'm 7 sectors deep and so far they've all been the same deal - there's a quest to find/kill/do something on one of the planets, every planet is covered in rabbits and killer plants. Occasionally there are bugs and very occasionally there's a blue-outlined super-bug. Sometimes there are slimes on certain planet types. Space hulks are loot boxes full of zombies every time, the zombies always move slower than the away team so there's no threat. If away team members get an infectious disease, just don't let them back on the ship and there's no harm done. You can replace them for a pittance at the banker station in every sector, etc.

Going to keep playing and see what more there is to it because I feel like I'm either missing a lot or just barely scratching the surface, but apparently the game "ends" in sector 20 (and can be infinitely scaled up beyond that) so I don't know how much room is left for me to see new tricks and gimmicks

It's definitely not very mechanically deep. Ranged weapons have unlimited ammo, most enemies are melee and die in 1-2 shots, cargo doesn't do anything except get sold, character progression seems very shallow (there's a list of like 30 minor passive skills and every once in a while you get to pick a new one for each officer you have), each sector is just one screen of mostly wide-open space scattered with a few planets/stations, etc.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 6, 2020

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Escape Goat posted:

I'm still trying to find a new replacement for Nuclear Throne and Gungeon. Played the hell out of those games a few years ago and haven't found another yet that comes close. Neurovoider seems to be the closest but it isn't clicking for me so far.

May seem obvious but have you played Binding of Isaac: Rebirth? It's the grandaddy of all these top-down roguelite wildly-varying-power-levels-per-run shooters and there's good reason it is so loved; there's an absurd amount of content and great item/enemy/mechanical designs in general

It's a bit frustrating only shooting in 4 cardinal directions but it actually works out for the better IMO and makes for more controlled, less chaotic gameplay

I'll echo that Synthetik is very good though, I've loved that game since it first came out and I'm glad to see reception to it grew warmer over time as they made some big updates

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 9, 2020

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I beat the first "Year" in Atomicrops (years are basically progressive difficulty increases for new runs) and it's pretty fun. I wish there was more nuance/strategy to the farming side of things. By around Summer/Fall I was just spamming my seeds/pickaxes wherever I could while struggling to fight off waves of enemies. I'm trying to focus on taking it slower now on year 2 to put some more thought into my crops, since there are bonuses for planting a 2x2 square of the same crop and then fertilizing them all, plus trees are 2x2 - so I want to focus on separate 2x2 plots I think instead of one giant messy field like I had before.

The permanent upgrades are nothing earth-shattering but it's things like extra starting Fight or Farm stat, faster movement, and adding a few seconds to the day/dusk timer. I also unlocked a... cat trader? And now I can buy cats in between runs, and if I get 3 similar cats I can merge them into a higher tier cat and I'm very confused by it, no idea what they do.

I'm enjoying it and still playing but there's something about it that hasn't clicked with me yet. I agree that some of the guns just feel bad, and I think the weapon breaking system combined with how expensive weapon upgrades are kind of sucks - the weapon upgrades should be permanent for that entire run or something. Especially in Spring/Summer when you don't have a ton of cashews to spare.

Winter is just a final boss fight, but it has a kind of clever gimmick that took me a while to catch on to and it was a neat trick when I got it so I won't spoil it.

It needs more variety in the runs, though. Despite the artifact-type items with unique passives (none of which are particularly game-breaking) every run has ended up feeling pretty similar. There are four biomes (with a higher tier version of each one), the enemies in each one are not significantly different from one another, the weapon pool is pretty limited.

It's kind of weird about the way does the whole "dating/marriage" system. They're essentially just different upgrade paths, but once you go far enough down one path you see a very short marriage ceremony (like 2 lines of text about why they're marrying you) and they follow you around as an npc/combat pet. Then a couple seasons in you unlock Polygamy and can marry as many of them as you want, and some of the marriage ceremony descriptions are a little weird like someone marrying you because it's their only ticket out of the village :shrug: Nothing really terrible yet, just sort of clumsy.

If it was an Early Access game I'd say it's a phenomenal start, it's not marked that way but I'm hoping they're planning to add significantly more variety through DLC or patches either way because there's a lot to like about it!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 22, 2020

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't know much about how to synergize builds yet but but Death Shock is great - split dark/lightning damage and if it kills the target is cascades to another within 4 tiles, up to 3 times. You can upgrade it to remove the cascade limit and to double the cascade range. The damage is high enough that through a lot of the early game it will one-shot most enemies, so if a room is packed enough with enemies that aren't immune to lightning/dark you can sometimes wipe out the entire room with a single Death Shock.

Upgraded Death Shock + Magic Missile is enough to handle the first ~10 floors on their own a lot of the time which gives you a lot of breathing room to save SP and build around shrines.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Got my first win with this build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAavMB2gNoM
(this is the floor before the last boss, so no spoilers here!)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 29, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I probably should have, yeah, but for the most part it wasn't necessary, floor 24 + 25 are the only floors I really took self damage on. For every other floor I just looked for a wide open floor with no walls and destroyed the entire map in 1-2 turns without nearly killing myself.

e: Now that I understand that going all in on one element in your spellbook is totally ok as long as you focus on things that multiply that damage as other elements, I feel like build creation is a lot more flexible and I can't wait to try the same thing with other elements! The amount of Holy/Dark/Ice being added to my lightning spells was enormous. I ran across a few enemies with 100% lightning/100% dark/50% holy resist which was about as tough as it got, but I was doing enough Holy damage to kill them in 2 Lightning Bolts.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 29, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Flame Gate is really great and similar to Steam Anima, I think I like it more actually because it's just raw power instead of relying on the combo of freeze -> hit with fire. You just cast fire spells every turn and upgrade their radius/range to let you hit basically the whole map from anywhere and the map gets flooded with fire constructs. You could even combine it with a steam anima build if you want to get frisky.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Tonfa posted:

My problem with Rift Wizard is that the spellbook has a bunch of staples that are easily the core of a run and a whooole lot of chaff that is too fair and undertuned to be viable and reading a cool spell that has all its numbers and restrictions tuned juuust so that it can never get powerful enough to be on par with the good ones feels bad. It is a well made game in many respects but having to eat your vegetables in character building just isn't fun.

I felt this way at first, but the more I've played the more I've been seeing the value of all of the 'chaff spells' I'd normally ignore - if a spell seems useless, you're just not connecting the dots with the ways it can synergize with other things (which is an easy predicament to be in in Rift Wizard, and also what I love about it). Now that I got my first win they're much more appealing to me because the meat of the game is finding ways to beat it with new builds rather than playing with the same build every time. Like yeah Lightning Bolt is extremely strong and you can beat the game with it, which is sort of like playing the game on an easier difficulty. I almost won as a bear summoner earlier, and again as a poisoner who would posion entire maps then cause all the poison to explode. Lately I am building entirely around the Shrines I find which is hella fun.

If your goal is just to beat the game and be done with it, you'll probably be finished with Rift Wizard within 5-20 hours and not enjoy it all that much - but if you enjoy the process of theorizing, creating, and deploying character builds with a million different viable options, it's an addictive mess.

At the end of the day you don't have to take the 'staples' unless you want to.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 29, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Walh Hara posted:

What the heck, I honestly thought bears were completely useless and that too many enemies resisted poison for a poison build to be viable.

Poison definitely requires scouting maps out first to avoid poison immune enemies and having a backup element to nuke the ones you can't avoid - but every build should have backup elements and Poison has an easy synergy with Lightning spells if you get the Lightning/Poison shrine, and Collected Agony gives you a dark damage channel but it's kind of unreliable.

Bears are mostly useless but I got a shrine to give them extra regen early on, then went with blood bears, minion regen (both the spell and the skill) and extra minion attacks, picked up blue lions to give them shields and blood boil to make them do more damage and hung back with magic missiles myself.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I do think the criticism that many of the spells to be overpriced to be spot on though. Blue Lion and Flock of Eagles definitely don't feel like they should be Level 5 spells, and Plague of Filth does very little for a level 3 spell.

Yeah, definitely. The skills are also overpriced and it does make getting a real build up and running too expensive to do early on - early game enemies also die too fast to take advantage of synergies that involve hitting the enemy multiple times. So I do generally carry myself ~10 floors in using primarily cantrips and a low level spell or two.

You're guaranteed 72 skill points by the time you face the final boss and you can pick up more during the fight. Assuming you don't get any relevant discount circles, 18SP will get you:
Lightning Bolt + Extra Charges + Judgment Bolt
Fireball + Extra Charges
Magic Missile + Extra Charges + Range

This leaves you with 54 SP to work with for a final build (up to 58 if you discount circle the cantrips) and a solid, high ammo count barrage of 5 different elements to pick things apart while your main build comes online. Your main build can be either launching one of those cantrips into the stratosphere or literally anything else you want because 54 SP is enough to buy everything you need.

It would probably make sense to distribute the SP from floors 20-25 into floors 1-10 instead so that you can get your build defining spells/skills earlier on, without piling even more on you in the long run.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 29, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jedit posted:

Has anyone tried SNKRX? It's a take on Snake, except your snake is a party of adventurers who you can upgrade and add to between each of 25 waves. It's cheap and crude, but the idea interests me and I was wondering if anyone knew more.

I wish I could say a whole lot of good things about it because it's a great concept and it's mechanically fun and only $3, but it really feels like it was designed by someone who is just not a gamer and doesn't understand how games operate, and as a result it's way too easy and awkward.

It uses dota autochess team building mechanics, but they're pretty much unworkable here because (a) there aren't other players removing units from the pool, (b) there's no 'level' system to weight rarer units as you get further, (c) there's no 'bench' to sit units in to take them out of the pool, so you end up just making a party of cheap low level units (which doesn't matter because the game is so easy) because a 3-star swordsman is way better than a 1-star doom warlock or whatever rare unit

Everything is cooldown-based and there are no other resources, and the game allows you to stall new waves so you can easily just heal to full between every wave, or let your summoners summon dozens of turrets/minions between waves.

Enemies spawn in big AoE clumps 100% of the time and coincidentally there's an entire class of unit that's designed around taking minimal damage while doing huge AoE damage in melee range and those units literally one-shot almost every enemy in the game

I won on my 2nd run and probably won't play it again but it was an interesting novelty for $3

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jupiter Hell is good, but agreed about the graphics, and also I don't feel like it does anything better than doomRL which is still available for free at https://drl.chaosforge.org/

Archonex posted:

Approaching Infinity...

...The game is also getting updates still, and is incredibly deep in terms of content...

I bought this game the day it came out on Steam and stopped playing it a day later because it had essentially zero content - there was only one enemy type, only one planet type, you could explore planets but there was never anything interesting on them, every sector was the same, there was no variation in any events or anything - it was literally the most content-lite game I've played in my life, or at least it felt that way. I wrote a review for it on Steam where I said the shocking lack of content after a decade or whatever in development felt like I was just missing something. Like it literally felt like a very early prototype proof of concept of a roguelike. The review quoted in your post about how all other roguelikes are dull and boring and unexciting but this one is just full of INTERESTING things is the literal exact opposite of how I felt about it. What was I missing and do I really have to play through 10 entire sectors of that to get to the point where things actually happen?

Like, the quoted review mentions how the terrain generation in AI is so interesting that it makes other Roguelikes seem dull. In the several dozen planets I visited, every single one of them was a very dull overworld with nothing except maybe a very dull cave in it - they all used the same tilesets, had the same enemies (I know that review says there's enormous monster variety but I am not kidding when I say I cheated and played about 10 sectors in and literally EVERY SINGLE PLANET shared the same one identical enemy type which had no skills or abilities at all), and had zero points of interest. There was no reason to explore other than to pick up resources. The most interesting thing I saw in several dozen planets was a planet where the word "HI" was written in mountains.

e: I'm not trying to trash the game because other people have clearly had different experiences but I am legitimately curious what I was doing wrong because the idea of the game is extremely appealing to be, but it turns out I refunded it

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 7, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

What other roguelikes with autochess dna are there? I quite like the idea.

Preferably also with actual gameplay too like the snake game.

I went down an Auto Battler rabbit hole a while back so here's the autobattlers I remember that reminded me of autochess:

Hadean Tactics is a run-based roguelite in the Slay the Spire vein, except throughout the run you draft units just like in autochess and then they play out automated grid-based battles, just like autochess. When I last played (late March) it was competent but hadn't found out how to balance itself yet, and very content-lite (only one character, only two factions of units, etc). It had some really goofy lopsided balance, like one unit you can recruit is a gargoyle that makes a clone of itself every few seconds that does half damage. And... that clone makes a clone. And then each of those clones make clones, and before too long the entire board is full of clones of this gargoyle.

Tavern of Gods is... another auto-chess cloned singleplayer autobattler. It has a lot more content and variety than Hadean Tactics but I found it too easy to build an overpowered party in.

The Dungeon Beneath is a more competently made game than either of the above but the major difference is that combat is slightly manual - you control the positioning of your units between each turn, and they always attack the row they're in - but beyond that it's all auto-chess. It's good and fun but I find it kind of frustrating to play in a way that's hard to describe - you get 4 recruitable unit slots but you can realistically only use one 'back-line' unit and everyone else has to be a front-liner that can take hits and that really frustrates me personally. The 3:1 ratio is jarring, I want 2:2!

Astronarch is a game that I truly enjoy but it's the furthest from the standard autochess formula on this list. There's a huge roster of characters and you build a party starting with three of them and recruit two more throughout the run - then auto-battle your way through a series of escalating rooms. After each room you can choose from one of a few available pieces of equipment, of which there are a ton and they can vastly change your gameplan or strategy. There's a million different synergistic builds you can put together with the huge class variety and viability and some absurd items that you may or may not find in each run. If you like drafting and delegating loot to make your party overpowered while they auto-battle through a roguelite for you it's fantastic, but if the autochess DNA you're looking for is the, drafting a party of random units, stacking them up to level them up, get faction bonuses for using similar types part - you won't find that here

Comedy option Luck be a Landlord - a dystopian slot-machine simulator where you have to slave away at a slot machine to pay ever-increasing rent to survive, and you collect relics throughout the run that influence the behavior of certain symbols on the slot machine, as well as new symbols to add that have different behaviors with each other - for example one is a baby that earns very little on its own, but if it's adjacent to candy or bubbles it consumes them but earns a bonus, or if it's adjacent to a pinata it breaks the pinata which makes candy symbols spill across the board. It has several elements of auto-chess but arranged in a different way. It's surprisingly fun, if ultimately shallow, and has a demo.
bonus: one of the symbols is a dog and you can click it to pet it

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 23, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

Because a first person platform game based on time trial sounds like very uninteresting to me.

Yeah, this. The only thing less interesting to me in a videogame than platforming, is platforming in first person.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I gave SNKRX a pretty negative review earlier in this thread but I checked it out again since people are talking about it and every one of my major complaints from earlier have been fixed; primarily they added shop levels to increase the rate of high tier units, which was a major drawback before since you just ended up buying tier 1 units all the time.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

What's the secret to handling wide open maps without cover in Jupiter Hell? Like for example sometimes the very second zone is just a gigantic catwalk with 4 square rooms and no cover in between them, but dozens of enemies outside in the open.

Even if I hack the security terminal right away and get recon data and make sure to crawl forward slow enough to only aggro one enemy at a time, I'm still pretty much guaranteed to take a ton of damage on that map because I can't get a cover bonus against anything, so I may as well just restart the run.

I feel like pretty much every death in this game I have no idea what I could have done better :confused: Third floor of a new run, Callisto Mines with 6 Exalted Summoning portals on it that each summon an Exalted Soldier with so much armor it takes two full mags from my 9mm Auto Rifle to kill one - nothing I could have done there except luck into finding the elevator down before running into the exalted soldiers.

I've managed to beat it twice during EA and they both involved playing a Marine and leveling Tough As Nails and Cover Master ASAP so that I could shrug off a lot of the bullshit the game throws at me that I don't know how to avoid.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 7, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The transfer elevators take you to branches - it's structured like this:
There are 3-4 different planets starting with Callisto. After Callisto 6 you reach the spaceport which lets you proceed to the next planet (Europa)
Before then, any elevators to floors not named "Callisto #" take you to an alternate path through Callisto with each branch having some general expected threats and rewards - for example if you find Valhalla Terminal and proceed through that, you'll eventually reach Valhalla Command where you'll need to fight a handful of big-rear end security mechs, at which point you cna access a room that has a terminal that lets you shut down all robot enemies for the rest of Callisto.

If you enter a branch then each floor of the branch brings you one step closer to Callisto 6 and therefore the spaceport. But there's never a point where you're adding extra floors for yourself to clear, you'll always go through the same number of floors on each planet (afaik)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 7, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's been a long time since I played it but from what I remember in DoomRL you can take significantly more punishment than in Jupiter Hell and I think that's what just feels wrong about JH to me. It's still kind of fun but a gun-based roguelike where you're so squishy and healing is so limited just irks me, I hate the concept of loss via attrition and it bothers me even more when the answer to that is "just take less attrition".

Like, running away when I see an enemy I can't one-shot still leads to me taking unavoidable damage a large portion of the time and that just feels bad in a game where there's very little I can do to patch that damage up. I don't like not being able to outplay attrition.

I don't know that it's even difficult or unbeatable but every time I see an enemy, step backwards and get shot for 1/5 of my HP while I do it I get a strong urge to abandon my run and restart.

At the end of the day the presentation is novel enough that I can't wholly hate it, but I don't see a reason to play it over DRL. At least trying JH again made me want to go back and play DRL again so I guess that's what I'll do now :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 8, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, Marine with Tough as Nails is the only build I've been able to win as but even playing that now I hardly feel tanky, much less once I reach Io and beyond. I'm not sure how to be overflowing with medkits since I seem to average only one per floor and I don't see how it's possible to clear most floors without taking one med chest worth of healing in unavoidable random shot damage :(

I mostly play on Hard but have tried Medium as well and had the same problem there. I'm just going to shelf the game, I backed it early in EA and have tried playing it several times along the way but had this same frustration each time.

For what it's worth this is also the same exact reason I find Cogmind unplayable :v: Something about these games just feels bad to me, it's not about difficulty but more about immediately losing interest in a run once something goes wrong that I couldn't have avoided, even if it didn't kill me. I want to have to use my resources to cover my mistakes, not just because I revealed an enemy and their shot rolled a hit. If I can't mitigate it then just go whole hog like xcom and make my character paper-thin and expendable.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 8, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

After 14 hours of giving it a shot between the start of EA and now, it feels like a complete downgrade from what I remember of DoomRL in every way. It's literally just DRL with melee heavily nerfed, less weapon variety, the same exact classes/perks, bland environment design, muddy art, forgettable enemies, a bunch of content cut out, a 3d engine and voice acting, and I don't think the 3d engine or voice acting enrich the traditional roguelike experience or make up for what was lost.
I would have much rather spent my $20 on a Steam version of DRL

I would even hazard to say that Sword of the Stars: The Pit is a much better take on the DoomRL formula than Jupiter Hell is.

e: I sound very harsh about it and to clarify I think it's a perfectly fine game, it's just that there is another game by the same dev that this is literally a stripped-down and worse clone of, and that game is free. I don't see any reason to play it when DRL is still available and somehow doesn't frustrate me in the same way.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 8, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

LordSloth posted:

Honestly, some of the issues people bring up I can agree with, like the character of Derek Yu's DoomRL tileset can't be beat, and things are dark and hard to see often. But I'm not here to convince you to like the game, because everybody has their own valid tastes (and some HOT takes, like Sword of the Stars: The Pit being a better take on the DoomRL formula).

After a lazy count, I see 78 weapons in Jupiter Hell not counting Mods or advanced variants. In DoomRL, not counting assemblies I see 32 weapons. If you count assemblies, that's 19 more weapons, for 51 total. I'm not sure how there's less weapon variety.

Conceptually the perks are similar, but I think mechanically they're much better implemented, builds are less restrictive.

Looking at the JH wiki's weapons list now it seems like there have been a bunch added to the wiki because the count there was under 60 when I posted that, fair enough :shrug: I won't be playing it or posting about it again, but I can see and acknowledge the other argument raised itt that it might be a good way to introduce new players to the genre

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 9, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So what's going on with Ultimate ADoM? It graduated from Early Access to full release but the reviews make it sound like it's still very Early Access - like having a skill for better prices from shops despite shops never being implemented. The store page for it also features an ad for a different game by the same publisher fairly prominently. Was it abandoned and marked as full release just to not be cursed with an eternal Early Access mark? Being dropped by the publisher?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just found the announcement post and ugh, pretty much everything about it rubs me the wrong way.

It opens with "Only now we start to understand that we probably failed to communicate our strategy for Ultimate ADOM" which is immediately followed by the very next words: ​"although – after looking through older posts – we did communicate it from the very beginning" which is again followed by "Let me once more summarize our vision for Ultimate ADOM" (And the post also closes out with "So once more the brief summary:")

After that it says that this release isn't meant for Roguelike players but to get mainstream audiences into Roguelikes (?) and insinuates that the parts of the game that are meant for roguelike players are coming later.

The rest of it is a bunch of passive aggressive bullshit essentially saying "It's not my fault if you didn't realize this was our plan all along after reading our earlier posts". I never read their earlier posts but I just checked them out now to see if they actually did communicate these plans. Here's some quotes I found in their earlier posts:

“To be the person who originated a game with an active and dedicated community since 1994 makes me unbelievably proud," said Thomas Biskup, Creator of ADOM.

"Ultimate ADOM: Caverns of Chaos offers plenty of depth for seasoned vets of the genre"

"“We’re really excited to bring players back to the world of ADOM,” said Assemble Entertainment CEO Stefan Marcinek."

"Ultimate ADOM: Caverns of Chaos is still an Early Access game, and as such there are some core features missing." (Posted a few months before launching as full release with the excuse that you always said core features would be missing at launch)

"Our goal was and will always be to include the community as closely as possible to the development of the title."

And literally 100% of the rest of it is phrased as "We want to make a fuckin rad game for classic roguelike fans, and we'll give it some qualify of life touches so new players can enjoy it too"

"neither Rome nor ADOM were built in a day"

gently caress this guy

Unrelated Comedy quotes:
"we've been overly optimistic about our ability to get Saving and Loading into the game in a way that works"

(A few days later...) "In the next few days, we are focusing nearly exclusively to getting Saving and Loading into the game in a way that works for everyone. Thank you for your patience!"

"We have a long road ahead of us and being in Early Access brings its own challenges with it. We are fully aware that our game lacks certain features that one might expect at Early Access start. Surely, this can be partly attributed to us working much longer than anticipated on the Load & Save feature"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 31, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I was particularly weirded out by the phrasing of this:

quote:

“To be the person who originated a game with an active and dedicated community since 1994 makes me unbelievably proud," said Thomas Biskup, Creator of ADOM.

He's not saying it feels great to create a game that people love, or that it feels great that people love his game. He's saying it feels great to be him: the very important person who created it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Osmosisch posted:

There's a massive perceptual difference between the run having a defined end and each decision along the way requiring you to spend something irreplaceable. If you want to get entirely big picture I'm dead in some years anyway, so why does it matter? It just does, to me.

I don't need to enjoy every game. It's fine. I just realised the fundamental issue I had and figured it was mildly interesting enough to share.

For what it's worth after initially loving Rift Wizard enough to put in 80 hours and beat it a couple times, I realized I don't like it for a similar reason. It's the limited resources combined with forced 'timer'-style monster spawners and the fact that so many of the maps basically look like they were drawn with the mspaint spraycan tool.

Those non-standard maps (the ones that are just random jumbles of tiles, which are like... 50% of the second half of the game's maps) are just not the kind of thing I want to logic out a maximally efficient route through, so any time I was forced into them I gave up on playing at maximum efficiency, but then since the game has timers in the form of the monster spawners playing inefficiently is an enormous handicap, so I ended up just alt-f4ing whenever those maps were my only (good) option.

I'm more tolerant of the limited resources and the timers when you put me in a world that uses euclidean geometry but yeah I'm not going to waste my time plotting courses through maps that look like this. It's too visually messy for me to see where the paths are and how the LoS works without intently studying each individual tile and gently caress that.

(This isn't even a particularly bad example it's just the only screenshot I have on hand that shows what I mean and isn't from the final floor where that is the entire gimmick)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 7, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The whole "high level enemies all need to be poison immune!" thing in games stems from many games implementing poison as a "this ticks down until you're dead or cured" timer or otherwise deals its damage over a long duration. That encourages a playstyle of chumping high level enemies by poisoning them then hiding until the poison kills them, so they make poison worse against high level enemies in a misguided attempt to balance it. Anything you do that makes high level enemies less susceptible to poison than lower level enemies is extremely dumb design because then you have two different states of poison to balance. There's "normal enemy" poison vs. "resistant enemy" poison and then you have to pick one to balance its damage around, which makes it either too strong against weak stuff or too weak against strong stuff.

The best solution IMO is the implementation of poison where it does damage based on stacks, but loses half/a large chunk of its stacks each time it does damage, so in effect it's just higher damage than normal attacks but delayed by a turn or two, with the added combo play of steadily trending upward if you keep stacking it. That, or make it behave in an entirely different manner against high level enemies than it does against low level ones but I can't think of any games that do that. Or discouraging the "poison and wait" strategy via the inclusion of other mechanics or enemy behavior, like how Rift Wizard does it.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 15, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Imagined posted:

I realize I'm just restating what the people above me said, but Into the Breach also felt like more of a puzzle game than a roguelike imho.

Into the Breach is what made me realize I don't like deterministic combat for exactly this reason. If there's an irrefutable best possible solution that I can logic out, then it's a logic puzzle and not a strategic challenge, and it stops being fun to me. Strategy games and roguelikes are fun for me personally when you constantly have to be re-assessing the situation and changing your strategy on the fly based on how previous encounters went, and when you have to think creatively to solve new and constantly shifting nebulous obstacles. If you can just 'solve' the combat and resolve it in an optimal manner then you never have to change your strategy from moment to moment, you just run the logic engine and let it rip.

Getting crit by a dragon after whiffing four attacks in a row is fun sometimes

Rift Wizard on the other hand is a game that I think does deterministic combat right even though I soured on the game itself - there are eleven billion variables and you are constantly stapling more of them to yourself, so even though the combat is deterministic the puzzle becomes "how do I solve this encounter against this combination of enemy types with this specific set of powers, consumables and upgrades that I probably haven't ever had before?" and it dips back into the realm of creative problem solving instead of lego-set logic. With problems that complex, relying on random factors would be too much and determinism helps make it manageable.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 25, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I would love to like Peglin but at least in the demo, after about 4 floors it completely gives up on the Peggle gimmick and every floor becomes a very boring pachinko machine like this

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Are there any traditional turn-based roguelikes that have the kind of wildly swaying power balance based on build-defining random artifacts/relics/etc that's common in Roguelites like Isaac?

I don't like metaprogression but that kind of "sometimes you just get a build that vomits missiles and lasers everywhere" randomness of roguelites is fun to me and sounds like it would be fun in a traditional roguelike.

e: Like, not just "finding a powerful sword early", but items that drastically change the way your character plays

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 25, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Has anyone played Approaching Infinity? Any good?

I can say two things about Approaching Infinity based on 6 hours of playing it.

1) It has the illusion of there being an absurd amount of things to do
2) But if that absurd amount of things to do actually exists I have no idea how to access it

A lot of it is seemingly very cool but I could not find a way to do anything other than land on planet -> explore planet -> explore cave (if there is one) -> next planet. Not like the game is super complex or anything like that, but it seems like the kind of game that would be packed full of unique explorables and puzzles and events but then... it's not. Every screen (that I found) was just uncovering fog of war and shooting at things you found in it.

The artifacts and their identification system is kind of cool but all the rest of the gear is pure numbers and rather unexciting, or allows you to deal with a specific obstacle (mountains, water, etc) so you equip it when exploring a relevant planet. There weren't cool or interesting skills to earn or viable trade or more than the most barebones character development or anything along those lines. It's a box meant to hold an extremely rad game and maybe one day there will be one there but I just can't find it when I look inside the box :confused: And most importantly there wasn't really anything to do - not even in a "make your own goals" sense because all of the mechanical systems are so sparsely populated with content that there's just not a way to meaningfully engage with them.

I have honestly felt like I'm just missing something every time I've played it because it seems like there's more to it, buried somewhere, but in 6 hours of digging I never found it.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 26, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

reposting from the steam thread:

quote:

I'll just throw out a Game Awareness Post for Golden Light here. it's one of the most inscrutable things I've ever touched, kind of bullshit sometimes, and still the most captivating first person roguelite I've played. out of all the roguelites I've played it's the one that comes the closest to capturing the feel of an actual roguelike, where it's not clear what anything does, what's friendly and what will try to kill you, what kinds of tricks you can use to get an edge, when to fight and when to run, what good play even looks like, etc. I'm not gonna categorically recommend it or anything, because I mean fuckin' look at it, only you can say whether it might be your thing or not, but I've enjoyed what I've played of it more than expected. I think I'm about halfway to the end?

it also now has online coop, and while it was pretty buggy when I last played, I enjoyed what I played of it and there's been bugfixes since then so it could be better now.

This game is literally too unsettling for me to play :eyepop: Not scary, but unnerving. No thanks I don't want to wander around a giant living meat-house full of mimics that attacks me with its doors as I walk by and things like that. I made it halfway through floor 3 before I chickened out

Seems really good though!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 26, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

FuzzySlippers posted:

Any examples of a fairly traditional roguelike (turn based, overhead view, combat happens in same exploration map / non-modal) that had large (4+) controllable player parties with independent movement? So summons/pets like Mystery Dungeon style don't count

Snake Maze posted:

Shiren the Wanderer 3 (the wii one, released in the US as just “Shiren the Wanderer”) is built around having a party of 1-3 adventurers. There’s ai settings you can mess with to automate them during the rote bits, but at any time you can switch who you’re controlling or take full control of all three. I think Etrian Mystery Dungeon does something similar as well.

This is also essentially what the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games are: literally part of the Shiren the Wanderer franchise where you capture pokemon then do roguelike dungeons with a party of 4 pokemon which are swappable/controllable. I can't remember if it gives you the ability to control all four every turn or not though.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

juggalo baby coffin posted:

are there any roguelite games where you can play as a goblin? it seems like a shocking absence. peglin got me in the mood for goblin action but i cant find any

Goblin Stone comes out in December and it looks like an interesting mishmash of genres including roguelite deck builder where you play as a party of goblins. It has a demo but I haven't played it.

I'm beyond burned out on deckbuilders but I like the conceit:

quote:

Overadventuring has wiped out 90% of the goblins in the wild. Lead these goblins in a desperate struggle to reverse their fate through this turn-based RPG crafted in charming hand-drawn 2D style.

And the art is nice:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256825709/movie480_vp9.webm

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 27, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If the name change was spurred by something like whoever owns the I, Robot IP getting mad, they should have changed it to Me, Dracula: Genesis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

OtspIII posted:

Tenderfoot Tactics isn't a roguelike, but is an indie open world tactics game (very different mechanics, but maybe similar allures?) where you play as all goblins.

Not exactly what you asked for, but Othercide is probably the best non-XComlike tactics roguelike I've played. It's more missions and less exploration, though, and the attrition system (the only way to heal a unit is to sacrifice another unit of the same level) turns a lot of people off.

What you're describing is kind of a white whale of mine--I've been looking for something like that for a long time, and there's a lot of stuff that's really good and like one or two steps away (Horizon's Gate is super good, but open world and not a roguelike), but nothing that quite hits all those notes.

Have you tried Alvora Tactics, by the same devs as Horizons Gate?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/643900/Alvora_Tactics/

It's one of my favorite games of all time so I don't know why I didn't think of it until I read your post - it's the same game and combat systems as HG but instead of open world sailing, it's a procedurally generated roguelite strategy tactics dungeon diver where the dungeon you dive into is a gigantic worm that's swallowing the town. It has permadeath and there are always more mooks to recruit and level up, it's fairly roguelikey with some additional metagame progression (town development), but not a true traditional roguelike. Starts with a party of 4 and expands to 6 with town upgrades. You generally control one while the others trail behind (and you can swap freely and use their abilities to solve world puzzles and stuff), but in combat it's fully turn based and you control your entire party individually.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256685572/movie480.webm?t=1495753744

The only real con I can remember is that enemies aren't as distinctly defined mechanically as they tend to be in roguelikes and there are a lot of [humanoid with various equipment] enemies.

Voidspire Tactics is the third phenomenal strategy tactics game by Rad Codex which is 1000% worth playing if you like HG or Alvora, but it's not a roguelike at all and is more of a vaguely-openworld linear CRPG using the same mechanics and combat system. All three of these games are insanely good sleeper hits that deserve far more exposure than they get.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 28, 2021