Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

ProfessorProf posted:

Gonna give a shout-out to whoever's been recommending Hoplite in this thread, easily the best game on my phone right now. Managed a Perfect run, now I'm trying to deep dive - last run made it to floor 22 before being mowed down by walls of archers.

Just wait until you get to Atheist. One of the best gaming experiences of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

jackofarcades posted:

I can answer any of your questions about Necrodancer. I'm the current speedrun WR holder (and came in third in the big tournament that ended yesterday)

The best thing to do in zone 3 is to kite all the enemies into the shop if it's available. Generally you want something like a titanium longsword or spear since it's super reliable and fixed damage. Obsidian sucks if you get hit or blow a beat and glass breaks, and two damage is all you need for 90% of enemies.

i watched your runs, good stuff dude. congrats

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

No, it's definitely true. I mean, it's possible to win with the dagger (two of the bonus characters are limited to it, after all), but past zone 1 there's no margin of error for basically any of the enemies, and if you have to deal with two enemies at the same time, you're in serious trouble. Having a good weapon will definitely make the game a ton easier.

true, but it's also true that it doesn't matter too much if you can beat the dungeon every game, because it doesn't matter for dailies and speedrunning has a different issue altogether

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

Any tips for getting those insane speedrun times Jack? I've had a few good runs going to low 5-6 minutes on Zone 4 but I always seem to lose about 3 minutes killing all the enemies in my way on Zone 4 and that kills any decent times I have. My goal is to break the top 10, but that seems pretty far considering I haven't managed to get anything significantly sub 10 minutes.

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

Aria hasn't been as hard as it seemed at first, the main killer for me is still slipping and accidentally hitting 2 keys at the same time and killing myself :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

Clever Spambot posted:

I'm just really wondering what that even means in the context of a roguelike.

One frame passes.
One frame passes.
Monster winds up.
One frame passes.
Monster winds up.
One frame passes.
> Dodge
Your finger starts to move towards the controller.
Monster winds up.
One frame passes.
Your finger is nearly at the controller.
Monster attacks.
You have died.