Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

victrix posted:

Also my inventory gets clogged with piles of garbage and I can't find any recipes - is this a wiki-only adventure?

You're supposed to discover recipes by fully decrypting computer logs, but seriously, screw that. Use the wiki—and once you've built a recipe, you know it forever and for all characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

doctorfrog posted:

Any of these worth a poop? Humble Bundle's having a roguelike sale:

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Heavy Bullets is great and I like it a lot; it's not very deep, but the mechanics are tight and I found it consistently challenging. A WIzard's Lizard isn't just a retread of The Binding of Isaac, but it just didn't compare favorably enough for me to stick with it for more than a few hours (and the game seems to expect you to play it for hours—the unlocking and currency-saving seemed really slow to start, which is a big part of why I dropped it).

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
That's because the strategy for any difficulty higher than easy is "hope, wish, and pray that you find decent armor every 10-15 floors, at least two good weapons, and enough ammunition to actually use them" and it doesn't work out so great when the loot tables comprise a list of hundreds of items you don't want.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
The good thing about The Pit's DLC, to me, is that the added classes are cool and actually feel diverse. Unfortunately the DLCs also add a bunch of enemies with pain-in-the-rear end abilities that require your character to be specialized in one or two particular ways in order to deal with them effectively, as well as dozens of useless ingredient widgets, food items, and (most frustrating of all, imo) weapons and armor with racial restrictions that make them either totally or effectively useless for characters of the "wrong" race, which you almost always are. Nothing quite like hacking an armor locker while wearing torn-up rags, succeeding and seeing something actually come out, only to find out it's a goop shell for tentacle whales from beyond space and your guy can't use it.

Basically I stopped playing SOTS:TP because it is a game where I can know that I am going to lose but it just takes me ages to get there.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

victrix posted:

High praise for the The Pit, from Something Awful.coms roguelikes thread

"It didn't kill my dog"

Three of my four posts in this thread are complaining about The Pit. I could have sworn that I posted more, and also that I had a higher percentage of posts complaining about The Pit.

To prove I actually do like roguelikes, I'll say that I've gone back to playing Cataclysm since the LP thread started up and have been having a blast. There are millions of menus and I'm in hog heaven.

Also I want Caves of Qud to release so I can pay more money for it. Does anyone still have that "CoQ-inspired" fanart from several years ago? It was weird but cool, much like Caves of Qud.

e: ahaha hell yeah

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Clever Spambot posted:

I tend to enjoy any crafting system that allows you to break down objects you find into their core components and then use those to build other things, especially in roguelikes where its possible to just get super unlucky and not find a good version of the one thing you are specialized in.

The first time I tried to brew booze in Cataclysm I found out I needed to build a fermenting vat, and for that I needed a faucet. I went bananas for about five minutes trying to guess which mechanics or fabrication book I needed to find in order to get the recipe for "faucet," checking my map for libraries and likely locations for metalworking tools, and so forth . . . then I realized I could just break into the nearest house and smash up a sink.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
A lot of The Pit's systems encourage degenerate strategies, and I'd rather play a game than have to play around it.

e: I recommend Sublevel Zero as a Descent roguelikelike. It's good.

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 5, 2015

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
Here's an in-depth strategy guide for each scenario in Hack, Slash, Loot:
  • play a class which starts with a light- or dark-elemental weapon, because attacking with those elements occasionally gives you 1 hit point and there's no maximum cap on HP. Alternatively: play a class that doesn't start with a light/dark weapon, and then find one randomly in a bucket or something (pro strat only!!).
  • find equipment with a haste enchantment (look in a second bucket or something). You now move and act twice as fast as the enemy. There are no enemies with differing move/attack speeds.
  • die anyway, because successful enemy attacks take off much more HP than the 0-2 you can now gain every turn you are in combat. The cramped environs filled with enemies prevent your hasted escape.
  • you're dead

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Klaus Kinski posted:

The summary someone posted at the start of this thread is still accurate. "Do not play HSL."

(I swear it used to be in the op?)

That's a good and valid review. I just wanted to wonk out, you know, really dig into the mechanics and tactics and show off everything Hack, Slash, Loot has to offer.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Overwined posted:

You may think you can play the piano, but let me tell you brother, you can't.

Oh, is that one NPC who's custom-tailored to hate every performance and murder you with powerfully thrown rocks still in? I haven't played Elona in forever but drat that guy got invited to a lot of soirees.

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can play the piano, just not around that one guy at level 100, who carries an actual boulder and power throws it at musicians.

Ahahaha.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
That's an exceptionally low dung level for a Dog Man, congratulations.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm toying with ideas for a magic system where all spells are cast by finding and combining runes. For example, activate the Bolt rune, and you'll create a bolt of raw magic that you shoot at a target. But mix a Fire and a Bolt, and you'll create a Firebolt that's stronger than either rune alone. However, you don't know what runes are what on each game, so you have to experiment to some extent. There would, of course, be an extensive magic system for combining all runes, at least up to two, maybe up to three? (I'd probably just leave it at 2 at first, and put 3 as a later goal.)

Does that sound at all appealing?

I'm also debating using a grid inventory, where your inventory is just on the right side of your screen instead of in a separate menu.

This sounds exactly like the arena shooter/procedural death labyrinth game Runers, except the runes aren't randomized and the combinations can't be undone. It takes a lot of runs to discover all the three-rune combinations.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
Tower of Guns is bit on the easy side—if you don't pick up the "difficulty++" items, anyway—but it's absolutely worth a dollar.

eta: the starting pistol weapon is super weak and boring but all of the other starting weapons are much more fun.

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 29, 2016

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
Gatling Gull boss room with permanent cover = I win every time, Gatling Gull with just tables = run over.

I'm extremely unskilled at this fun game.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
Bennie is my personal hero.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

IronicDongz posted:

quote:

roguelike fans who don't like Nethack . . . they've been trained to enjoy "mainstream" gaming first
:jerkbag:

Hahaha, christ. Fuckin roguelike casuals, go back to your quality-of-life kindergarten. Like if he hadn't specifically said "roguelike fans" I would have assumed he was sneering at stereotypical Halo Blops Dewbros, good lord

And this was written in 2007, before the present explosion of roguelites/"[genre] with roguelike elements." I guess Pokemon Mystery Dungeon really flipped his grognard switch??

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Beastie posted:

Anyone have a chance to check out Everspace on PC and Xbox?

It's Freelancer combined with FTL. It's made by Rockfish, the studio behind Galaxy on Fire for iOS.

https://everspace-game.com/

I've been playing it for a few days on Xbox and it's a lot of fun. It's brutal though, just like FTL. Sometimes I don't make it to the second sector. Enemies will swarm you, out maneuver you, and generally gently caress your poo poo up.

It's currently an Alpha or Game Preview on Xbox, but in the week it's been out the developers have added a few great changes.

There's a really small thread in Games about it. I'm not linking it because the only non-PR info there is that it took the OP 13 attempts and 12 hours total playtime to achieve his first win, on a run that lasted 2.5 hours. That seemed to me both a very long time-per-run and a very short time-to-first-win, considering the Rogue Legacy-style upgrade system.

The game's still in active development so it's probable those numbers will adjust as content is added and tweaked. Either way, the price tag is somewhat high and promises to get higher as it approaches release.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

nvining posted:

I think there was something else where I was sort of grumpy that they had tried to copy The Dredmor Vibe and had done such a bad job with the jokes, but I don't think that was Dungeonmans.

I remember early builds of this aping Dredmor really painfully, but all jokes were removed at some point before development was abandoned.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

madjackmcmad posted:

Someone just handed me keys for Womb Room, and claimed it was a roguelike.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/426010/

I do not think this qualifies. It's also a two dollar game and 31% positive on Steam. I guess this is like when the guy with no limbs and a mouthful of scurvy scoots up to the soup kitchen looking to volunteer?

I don't know if it's exactly like that, but in both cases a firm "no thanks" is required for the good of all.

fe: is there a way to destroy a Steam key

fe2: is there a way to destroy a Steam listing

fe3: Nightdive Studios nooooo

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Serephina posted:

I JUST bought the game, played 'roguelike' mode a few times, and came out with 7 artifacts. that's 3 new unlocks. So yea, eff trying to get artifacts during normal campain, just play the money game. Also, in RL mode, it seems that energy weapons are almost mandatory, so much ammo issues even using 'meele' weapons.

Less than half of the artifacts spawn in Rogue mode, and most of those only appear on later levels. If you've grabbed 7 already then you're probably good enough to get the rest of the Rogue mode artifacts, but after that you need to play the campaign to even have a chance at any more.

Agreed about the energy weapons being virtually required, but you can only have one in your loadout at a time, and if they're strong they take forever to recharge.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

ToxicFrog posted:

- Can I increase my stats? How?

As far as I know, nope, it's all equipment (and temporary buffs from meds). I didn't get that far but I never saw any stat-raising Boozes.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
Stop The Hunger Clock prompted me to buy two prepackaged $10 parcels when I was grocery shopping last week. I don't want a game so I didn't submit my receipt, but consider that there may be one or two other weirdos like me who didn't add to your tally but were nevertheless influenced by the campaign.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

madjackmcmad posted:

Well that's rad of you, and thanks. Are you sure you don't want a dmans key or something?

I already own it :)

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
I wanted to like Enter the Gungeon, so I downloaded the cheat script that forces a drop in every room and now I do.

FuzzySlippers posted:

With Gungeon if you hate the balancing you hate the game.

Sad but true.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
I have to hand it to the developers, I haven't made any non-meaningful decisions in DCSS for a couple of years now!

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
There are a lot of systems and abilities in C:DDA that must have taken a lot of time and effort to code, just so you can gently caress around and become powerful and establish bases and do whatever. This makes the enthusiastic dev announcements of "in the next version you'll have to really micromanage allllll your needs and also we're making more special gimmick enemies to gently caress up your day and prevent you from staying in one place too long!" very confusing.

After their months of work on quantifying an incontinence sadness spiral for their intricately-modeled misery system, I'm just going to end up going into the difficulty options and disabling it so I can continue to have fun doing a Dead Rising Minecraft like a little noob baby.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
Way too many of my deaths in Dungeon Souls were of the "get hit several times in under a second and die from max health" variety. It happens even after the first loop, even when you have maxed out all of the passives; you dish out immense damage but you're always a glass cannon. Stacks of health potions don't matter if you're dead before you can drink one.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Klaus Kinski posted:

What game was is that had the "poo poo to death" review?

Tangledeep; it was "gay to death" but that was a mistranslation of a japanese reviewer calling it a game where you die a lot

Garfu posted:

Gay to death. Too lost the experience value, JP (like a skill point) to the death of the enemy too much too unreasonable, the loving does not grow either. The dungeon seems to be fixed when making data, and returning to the place where the enemy is destroyed, there are enemies with the HP fully recovered there ,,,
I still have something I want to write a lot, but I still have nothing to do with it. I do not understand English so maybe there is something w
I do not recommend buying it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hahahahahah I'm watching an LP of Scavenger and the guy just completely freaks out and just quits the game back to the menu and all you hear is him quietly losing his mind for a bit before he starts a terrified ramble.

In my last run, one of the items I found was a historical record describing a planetwide war, which explained why all the enemies I came across were already dead.

The run before that ended early when an alien fighter jet came over the mountain I was looking at and strafed the gently caress out of my drone. I managed to recall and repair what was left but my rover's manipulator arms were destroyed, so no reason to stick around.

In truth the scariest thing that's yet happened in any of my runs has just been a robot startling me with gunfire, but the tension is pervasive. So far this game is really doing it for me; thanks Mistayke for suggesting it and everyone else who gave their opinion on it