Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
What's the brexit roguelike, where you keep YASDing and it's always the same entirely preventable death that the game is going out of its way to save you from but you're convinced that it's what you have to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
There should be a roguelike where you can use a zorb.

You should be able to enchant your zorb to make elemental attacks on things you roll into.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 25, 2019

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

GorfZaplen posted:

I have two questions, or requests.

First, are there any roguelikes where you can have a kid or take a student and then play as them when you die?
Crusader Kings 2 with a random world and probably animal kingdoms turned on, make it a shattered world too, and get into a LOT of fights.

Only half-shitposting.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

victrix posted:

I watched a steamer talking to his chat explain that curse of the dead gods is a roguelike

I began with the berlin interpretation and then :reject:
Read that as children of a dead earth and now I want a kerbal warship roguelike. attack vector tactical roguelike. first few levels of nexus the Jupiter incident Roguelikes

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

ACOPKILLEDMYDOG posted:

As a kid I couldn't get ahold of a lot of videogames so I'd end up downloading tons of demos and I'd replay the first level over and over again. It would be cool to take the concept of "this is the first level" but make it stretch to infinity, procedurally generated from how distant you get from the starting point and not how many stairs you've climbed. But idk how much of that you can implement in a turn-based roguelike.

Sorry for the wall, I just have always loved this genre and haven't really talked about it that much.
Mordor is not a roguelike but I spent a long time with the shareware version of it.

There should be more mordorlikes.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Harminoff posted:

Exanima would be the ultimate roguelike. With how the combat works, having random dungeons/enemies/weapons would be amazing.
qwop rogue

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm looking for a roguelike that will scratch this rather specific itch, I'm not sure if it exists.

In C:DDA, there's an internal mod, Magiclysm, that adds magic to the base game. Magic is still, however, pretty freakin' rare and very difficult to learn and to cast. I find this really cool and it tickles my "magic" gameplay more than the usual games that give you a full spellbook right at the start, spellbooks everywhere, and you have 95% chance to cast -- combined with all of CDDA's other "you gotta do this the 'hard' way" mechanics.

You're lucky to find even a single basic cantrip in a small village, and finding serious magic requires a lot of exploration/seriously deep delving, and then you have to actually put in a lot of practice and studying to get these spells castable. The payoff is pretty big, and for once actually feels magic-appropriate instead of "this is just a different way to Apply Damage".

CDDA, unfortunately, is closer to a survival sim than a roguelike, and the magic mod is kind of an afterthought. Are there any other games in this genre that have a similar approach to magic, possibly more thoroughly explored?
i still really like the idea of a game where you basically have to be a nerd wizard in order to be a nerd wizard, and also nerd wizards are not especially suited to going into dark holes in the ground to murder the skeletons and steal their stuff for advanced wizard reasons

gently caress gently caress gently caress i didn't lock the seventh chevron so my sleep spell didn't go off right and all i've got left is these orbs i thought looked cool and a scroll of fireball, nuclear winter that the devs didn't redact properly

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
This thread may convince me to buy Caves of Qud, and I already own and play it.

I should start gifting it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
caves of

good

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Hell yeah

those graphics :allears:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
It's civilization as a slightly roguelike in the dominions setting. It doesn't make for a good description because it sounds vague, but it literally is that.

Hopefully someone able to string words together (unlike me) will pop along soon.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 10, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
bands are roguelites because they have metaprogression because you go back to town between runs.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
well at least it's still a top-down view, not first per-- oh no

Oh no

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I really like Jupiter Hell but I'd love if the dev did a second voice pack so you didn't have to play a guy. I don't feel like changing the player model would even matter that much.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
gently caress why can't companies only patent stupid and evil poo poo

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Kchama posted:

I should probably give Arcanium a chance, too. Or, I'll just go play Hearthstone Solo Adventures, or Griftland, or Slay The Spire, or... I have too many good choices.
The best solution is to buy another game.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

See, this is the kind of stuff that's selling me on the game more than the amusing enough stories of hugging pyramids or becoming a trans-dimensional slave driver.

Does the game have a concrete goal to strive for, like fetching the Amulet of Yendor, or is it just open-ended "do what you want" kind of stuff?
There's a main quest. At the moment one of the steps just gives you a pop up telling you that you've finished the game so far. I have never managed to get that far, but I've seen it on a stream and the whole sequence leading up to it is some incredible poo poo.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Pladdicus posted:

I'd add a few but those basic verbs are easy enough to begin play and play well.

Move gear between units in an army with an appropriate slot.
Change your trade between options of +/- of obtained resources and toggling whether you want to buy or sell a lot at a bad rate.
Modifying spellcasting units memorized spells
Buying iron "at a bad rate" owns when you've got a capital full of alchemists turning four gold into seven.

If you don't need the trade for anything else, at least.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

victrix posted:

Purely as an intellectual exercise, it's interesting to me that if a roguelike leans far enough into deterministic mechanics, it transforms into a puzzle game, and almost universally, I don't enjoy those as much

Apparently some amount of chaos is mandatory :v:
It's not a roguelike withoht rngesus in your heart, not just the level design.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

Makeup-based control scheme. Playing a wizard is really difficult, you have to like, contour and poo poo
Is that how you shapeshift and screech like a pterodactyl?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
how do you play as incompetent hubris

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

By turning off your monitor.
ascii was better than lovely programmer art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Arivia posted:

i have to wonder what counts as a bug in ivan. "i wore human legs on my human body and they functioned normally"
Bug report: died in the game, didn't die in real life.