Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DalaranJ posted:

If you are asking "Is it okay to talk about this game in this thread?" the answer is always YES. If there is any possibility that a game could be considered a roguelike than you can talk about it in this thread because this is the roguelike megathread.

(We talked about Goblet Grotto for like five pages in the last thread.)

You don't happen to know when that might have started? I kinda want to know what the gently caress that game is smoking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Not spending the first hour setting poo poo up is a pretty hard to argue with advantage to a computer version of your typical FFG feeliefest.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I would assume that his plan with $5k was to spend a month or 2 cleaning up what he had and calling it done and $35k made him greatly overestimate how much more he could do on that much money.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A year and change of living off it? Getting taken for a ride by contractors? Excessive diversions to the hookers and blow fund? $5k of testing and code clean up turning into $10k+ of scope creep?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

He never really had anything to begin with. He had a world generator when he made the kickstarter and he's got a slightly improved world generator now.

Oh. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt as someone who hasn't been following the project closely. gently caress him.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Does Jab affect multiple arms or are those just dumb meat lumps you never really learn to use very well?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You know something that would make Qud a million times better? If it didn't buffer input. When I stop hitting buttons the game needs to stop doing poo poo, not continue on for ages because I had my finger on a direction for a little too long or started hammering directions impatiently while that one plant that shoots in random directions makes every turn take ten times longer than it should.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Farquar posted:

You should never hold down a key in a roguelike. Never.

Only because this particular bit of brain damage is somehow endemic in them. Hasn't actually killed me in Qud so much as had me go a screen and a half further than intended due to asinine poo poo like monsters shooting at nothing. It's especially annoying in Qud because not everything's gunning for you but if shots are flying everything bogs down whether they have anything to do with you or not.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 21, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

It's a bit less trivial than it seems to just "not do key repeat", since the alternative is losing key-presses that are buffered when a player is hitting them very quickly under some circumstances. So you end up needing to do a buffer of some depth, but not TOO deep; balancing between players going "Don't let me hold down a key!" and players going "You ignored a keypress!"

It's not even holding that's the problem. It's waiting on ranged attacks from across the map with no real chance to hit while you're trying to get somewhere else. I still don't see why you'd ever need to buffer input between turns. Even if some freak accident drops valid input for the current turn that's still far more recoverable than watching helplessly as you run clear across 2 maps because there's a buffer a mile deep. That exact case happened to me several times yesterday while trying to haul rear end out of a cave with a starving plant man and no recoilers.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 23, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That's, 6 months or so of work under the probably false assumption that they aren't complete poo poo and/or half boilerplate for talking to the libraries he's using.

e: Qudchat: Elemental weapons and burrowing claws do not mix. Not if you don't want to be pariah in every town due to accidental discharges on near people.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 23, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What determines how many hits Sunder Mind does? It seems to bounce back and forth between being hilariously, disgustingly powerful and barely doing any damage without much feedback as to how or why.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What raises my penetration? Just leveling the mutation?

e: welp died and my next dude started with a pair of robo arms

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 24, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The best full size shield I've seen is eyeless crab shell, which is 4/-3. Horns cap at 2 AV so you can definitely find better hats unless you're just married to the 20% chance to headbutt things. I've seen steel helmets in joppa that are something like 2/-3. One of my guys found a wandering merchant selling a 6/-6 fullerite plate mail for maybe $300.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, but it you're going melee you should probably be trying to get multiple legs anyway. The movement speed is just that good (caps over 50) and you get to carry a lot more stuff. It also more than compensates for double muscled, letting you stun enemies and invest less in strength.

2d8 looks like pretty midgame damage. A metametal longsword does 3d12 without anything fancy on it. If I'm only getting damage out of a mutation I'd rather take light generation, after the first couple of levels the damage increment goes up by one per level and penetration goes up every other. With enough ego it does absurd amounts of damage.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 25, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Maxed out carapace is just about the best body armor in the game (at least without any brands) but it comes at a pretty hefty opportunity cost, especially early and as a water merchant. If you find carbide or better armor early on you're going to have a bit of a wait before your carapace is better.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fullerite is 6/-6. The DV penalty really isn't that big of a deal unless you're actively pumping DV for some reason. The best armor is 8/-4 with a bunch of resistances (not much in any of them). Carapace is better but only if you invest 4 points initially and 9 levels of MP along the way. However you can also get quite a few nice bonuses added in that can bring the stats up and weight down.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Don't be suckered in by the fancy name of the Nullray Pistol. It devours cells and doesn't seem to actually do anything when you shoot people with it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hahaha started up a true man artifex and the very first thing I run into is one of the yellow snapjaws with loving Stopsvalinn, a 3/0 buckler with +1 ego and some kind of anti-robot version of force bubble.

E: no love for the 4 corner simultaneous day. So much down the drain.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 27, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Social Animal posted:

I tried to like it but it felt way too floaty. It was a pain in the rear end to kill enemies because of the projectile behavior and speed. Is there a way to upgrade your main attack that I missed?

About half the items change or upgrade your shots.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It never stops feeling like a lovely Flash game, though. The worst part is we know the devs can do better; Super Meat Boy has some of the best platformer handling of any game I've ever played.

EDIT: It's still enough fun to be worth it for one dollar, though.

Well, that's because it is a Flash game and you really can't cut all the shittiness out of Flash.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Caves of Qud, maybe?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Light Manipulation going up is a wash for me since I usually take sunder mind with it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dodge Charms posted:

I like Roguelikes in part because I like to tinker with them.

What Roguelikes are most amenable to modding?

(Being open source so I can hack the source code and compile it myself does count as "amenable to modding" if the source code is reasonably readable.)

Angband has been the posterchild for some time but ToME4 and DoomRL are probably better in that regard now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You can just eat the corpses. Butchering just makes them portable.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Carapace at high levels is better defense than the top end armor (well, maybe not if you suck off the rng hard enough and get a bunch of modifiers on it) and weighs about 100 pounds less (doesn't weigh anything) while providing tons of heat and cold resistance. This may be a pretty huge balance issue, armor just weighs too drat much. Even a 1 point carapace is better than anything you're going to see unless you get drat lucky in Grit Gate.

I really like force bubble for keeping dudes off me while I murder them with lasers/explode their minds/shoot them/etc. Force wall can work almost as well in many areas if you can't swing the points for it. The int investment in Ignatius's build is probably excessive, you really don't need the top tinkering skills for a good while if ever and having extra strength to carry your crap around/constitution to die less/ willpower to reduce your cooldowns (though this doesn't affect lasers) or ego to level your mind exploding and make it more likely to do damage. Water merchants have near infinite cash by the time they're done poking around Grit Gate and the surrounding environs so you can just straight up buy blueprints instead of hoping disassemble works for you. Plus disassemble really only helps with grenades and injectors since it's not like you're going to poo poo out desert rifles on an industrial scale or anything silly like that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Here's a fun trick: using mental mutations doesn't cause your carapace to loosen up after tightening it, so you can be a kick rear end 16+ av laser turret.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I usually 18 everything but strength and agility and 16 those. Cranking will/ego at the expense of all else is more for dedicated espers with pyrokinesis and one of the force mutations mixed in. But I could be wrong, I'm by no means an expert though I have gotten pretty good at taking a laser dude to Grit Gate/that jungle village, losing track of what I'm supposed to be doing and wandering off :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Picked up disintegration at level 8 this run (other options given were corrosive gas and electric generation) and it's just amazing wading into the middle of a large pile of equimaxes (equimaxen?), turtling up and mowing down half of them with disintegrate. The survivors can hardly scratch me during the little nap disintegrate causes and then I pick them off with lasers and brain explosions.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

I can build any of the ingredients in a few minutes; they're all guaranteed, but it takes game knowledge that I don't think anyone has really amassed yet. The diseases are pretty brutal, and can be game-enders, especially if you don't have encyclopedic knowledge of the game. It's certainly a *lot* easier to avoid the disease than it is to cure it; and that's sort of the design intention, if you don't prepare/go in aware, it's going to be sad times. (That said, we might approach it differently these days, but that's the way it is ;))

There really needs to be something in game pointing you toward the guaranteed sources if it's so game ending.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ummm, I don't think the 12 gauge shotgun is supposed to do 100d200 damage :stare:

E: oh, too many projectile blueprints running into each other there.

Something that kind of annoys me: there's no indication of which letter or number each tinkering bit is if you have that option set. The tinkering screen only differentiates them by color. I'm not colorblind but it's easier to remember what a 1 and an A are vs what 2 shades of red represent.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 1, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What determines which tinkering skill you need for which item? Is it a some field in ObjectBlueprints.xml or a hardcoded list somewhere?

E: something seems to have stuck my DV at -16. I have 20 agility and only -3 in armor penalties so I don't know what gives.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 1, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

So ABCD1234 for 1, 56 for 2 and 78 for 3?

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 1, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

Yup; just counts the highest bits. Note that the bit cost is slightly randomized from game to game, so there a small amount of variation in tiers from game to game.

Ah, so that's why there's just a bunch of Os for bit costs in the blueprints. I'm not sure I've even seen a 5+ that wasn't the guaranteed ubernostrum or the time one of my water merchants started with a small sphere of negative weight.

e: welp, died when I didn't notice a glowmoth making GBS threads all over me. Dragonflies and glowcrows kinda train you to not pay attention to flying crap. Started over without two headed this time, replacing it and the thick fur space filler I had with disintegration because carapace + disintegration = lots and lots of fun.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 2, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

spider wisdom posted:

Things were going so well with IVAN. Got to Attam, had some decent gear, bought freed a slave, then

hopped on a mine.

:negative:

Your gear was terrible. Levitation is a requirement.

Back to Qudchat: anyone have much experience with the Burgeoning mutation? I have the choice of it, double muscled and mostly redundant burrowing claws.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 2, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Another fun thing for making early Qud a little less annoying: most of the people of Joppa will sell huge stacks of vinewafers for a penny each. Weightless food for little effort!

e: hahhahahahahahaha found a goddamn eigenrifle in a chest in the upper parts of Grit Gate. I guess I get to laser while I laser now.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 2, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm really liking my current not-quite esper build: 16 in str and agi, 18 in everything else, carapace, disintegration, light manipulation, sunder mind, ravenous on a water merchant. Tightening up your carapace allows you to use disintegration as an aoe nuke and kill groups of equimax as early as level 6 with a little bit of found gear. Skill priorities generally go to butchering, rifles+take aim and then tinkering/disassemble/scavenger/tinkering I before saving up to get berate. Mutation points generally go straight into the carapace and maybe trying to roll a new one at level 7 or so. For food I hit up the warden and the dude that gives you the red rock quest for what usually amounts to about 500 vinewafers between them for a pittance, while lugging around whatever butchering comes up with. Sunder mind and a laser blast will kill a sandhopper (and sometimes you don't need the laser blast), which is generally the most threatening thing in a desert canyon til you start pissing off equimax. Sunder mind will also oneshot turtles, which otherwise take forever to die.

Disintegration also lets you break into places for less investment than burrowing claws, though it is less precise and can't really be used to dig long distances.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 2, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

I've found some rifles and pistols but I've never lived long enough to find any ammo. Where do you recommend grinding up some early levels? Finding the artifacts for the instant level 2 is hit or miss for me so I need some way to level without worrying about getting mauled to death by two headed boars, salt hoppers and hosed up chameleons.

Water merchants start with at least a pair of grenades for instant level 2. They also start with enough money to pick up at least a musket and maybe a melee weapon that isn't total crap if one's available. Pretty much all animals smaller than an equimax die to sunder mind + a laser or 2 and disintegrate is an amazing panic button when combined with a tightened carapace. If things go real bad sprint and leg it back to Joppa where half of town will swarm whatever follows you.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ranged weapons are basically worthless as a primary attack unless you want to relentlessly scum vendors forever. Take mutations instead.

The easiest way to grind levels and get a head start on the game is to take Flaming Hands or Freezing Hands and flash-fry Equimaxes in the wilderness. It'll teach you how to kite enemies that are too tough to kill directly and you'll be level 10+ in no time, at which point you can breeze through the early quest lines and start getting to the more interesting parts of the game.

Nah, the easiest way is to disintegrate huge groups of equimaxes and laughing as the survivors can't get through the 13 av you built up with your carapace and a few bits of clothing you found laying around. Then you pick them off with lasers and maybe a shotgun shell or 2.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

Also one more quick retarded question that I should know the answer to, how do I fill up my skins with some water?

Water is money. Really heavy money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, fire ants are bad news. Another good candidate for sunder mind.