Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
What are some of the best roguelikes for iPad? I'm loving FTL and steam world dig (not sure if that counts) but for example didn't love the controls of death road to Canada . I think games where you can pause easily / more turn based on general work on iOS a bit better. Just trying to scratch that itch!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
To follow up on the steam sale post, I've really enjoyed FTL, steam world heist and invisible inc. both because I really do feel some progression for it (FTL you unlock things as you go , steam world with a small story)and both I can take a breather as they are either turn based or pause and play.

I don't really love the ASCII graphic games and I don't love the super hardcore feel of literally never starting with anything other than what you started with. Kinda just feels pointless to me. Even just nominal unlocks for playing more and getting further would be nice.

What on sale lately would fit the bill? PC, iOS, PS4? I don't mind!

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

SKULL.GIF posted:

OSFE patch 1.2, quoting the relevant part on game design philosophy and approach:

Full notes: https://steamcommunity.com/games/960690/announcements/detail/2111566827091247178

I really appreciate patch notes like this, and I appreciate him being open about his intents and plans for the game, while acknowledging the problems the game has and what he's going to do about them (and what he *won't* do about them).

This is great and he’s got a great view on the game being accessible and not trying to be “only” for hardcore people but also to challenge them as well.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So many new posts, what awesome rogue like or lite has been released!?

Ohhhh....

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
While the forums are collapsing around us what good games are on steam sale now?

Should I finally break and pick up hades!?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

A Strange Aeon posted:

I feel like there must be some Super Mario World randomizer ROMs out there, that might scratch the itch.

Just get super Mario maker on switch, boom.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Hades- controller or mouse and keyboard?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Void bastards on sale! Impressions?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I really enjoy dead cells. It’s obviously hugely successful and many others do as well. I get the criticisms of “the updates changed it to something different” and that’s a valid complaint. “The game has some supporting mechanics in some difficulty modes that encourage certain play styles I’m not a fan of” is also valid.

But it’s a super niche complaint that most people won’t really buy and it’s not an actual commentary on its game design, which while subjective based on reviews most people find incredibly solid.

TLDR: you’re saying “bad game design” when you actually mean “something I don’t like” and it’s dumb

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Ahahah what the gently caress is this topic

Let me get this straight- if you like meta progression, even if it’s balanced pretty well, and the gameplay is solid as gently caress, you are a pleb who only likes something because number go up and the developers are lazy hacks who hate their own game because they know the only fun part is number go up

Only chads can play the games without meta progression

Gotcha :actually:

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you're weirdly fixated on what these dynamics say about you and your status, rather than the effect they have on game design, which is what people are actually talking about

I said if it was balanced well but thanks anyway. I’m also focused on the dumb comments in this thread which largely have an air of elitism around them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

IronicDongz posted:

you literally just described it making skill less of a factor

So? Randomisation also makes skill less of a factor. Not everything has to be about your mad skillz