Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
What's a good coffee-break roguelike in the vein of DoomRL (do we have to start calling it DRL now?), ideally with less inventory management and more focus on combat tactics? I'm designing my own roguelike now and taking some heavy inspiration from DoomRL, but one of the things I hate is the constant need to think about your inventory, particularly in the vein of "do I want to drop this ammo for this consumable". Something where you're really focused on positioning and using the right weapon/spell/etc. for the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I beat an Angel of 100 game in DoomRL!

It was tedious as gently caress past level 60 or so, after that the only time my health dipped below 100% was when I decided to build a chainsword and hack my way through the last five levels. Should have built one earlier to help deal with ammo management, since my only nano pack went on armor.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I see you guys talking about gooncam, is that available at https://sourceforge.net/projects/gooncam/ or is it something else? I'm working on my own game (not a part of whatever contest is going on) and I figured it would be neat to show you guys what's up.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

What other (good) roguelikes can be played through the browser? I'm getting tired of splatting characters in DCSS during work, and I don't want to install a bunch of stuff on my work machine.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

:siren: DoomRL Server update!

holy poo poo how long have you been working on this? I've wanted to play DoomRL in my browser forever

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

About five years, all told...

and I'm just now finding out about it? christ. making a DoomRL webserver has been on my to-do list for a hot minute, although I never have time for anything anymore :(

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I'm... kinda meh on Jupiter Hell? The cover system is nice, active abilities are cool, but the lack of cool exotics is rough and the modifiers on advanced weapons feel... kinda blah

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

DoomRL wins aren't super-super challenging but I'm on the board on ToxicFrog's server lmao

god shotguns in this game are busted

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

That said, try playing on UV and things get noticeably more challenging. :v:

I do have a single UV win on the install on my home computer... that relied heavily on shotguns. I'm really bad at roguelikes tbh, I routinely splat in Crawl with useful wands and ID'd potions in my inventory that I could have used but... didn't??? the burdens of attention disorders I guess

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

I strongly disliked 20XX's graphics and didn't play the game that much despite being both a RL fan and a MMZ fan. But that also has to do with runs not feeling that varied and the end always being the same. Guess I'll see how this one shakes out.

I was really hoping for 20XX DLC that added new bosses/environments/enemies, new characters are nice but don't stop you playing through the same environments over and over. Here's hoping 30XX is a hit so we can get some DLC that's more like what Dead Cells has been getting.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Private Speech posted:

Bit late but Elona is kinda that.

It's also relatively newbie-friendly by roguelike standards.

I have never heard Elona described as newbie-friendly, it's real arcane and the bad translation doesn't help

(I last played Elona like ten years ago so who knows what's changed? not I)

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

DrManiac posted:

ZHP is legitimately Nippon Ichi’s best game and both sequels making GBS threads the bed will never not make me mad.

holy poo poo there were ZHP sequels?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

There was a Gundam MD game? Wild.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

No Wave posted:

Dead Cells has a big design problem - it wants to be focused around combat and every aspect of the game system pushes you to play as tediously as possible.

I used to feel this way about Dead Cells and it made me put it down for a while; when I came back I spent a bit of time trying to understand what the game wanted of me, and now my Dead Cells gameplay is basically nonstop jump-rolling through levels, only stopping to slice the poo poo out of something before moving on. Even if I'm doing a ranged build I try to keep the speed up as much as possible and it's a much more satisfying game. If I find myself stuck with a slow weapon like the Nutcracker or Symmetric Lance, though, the fun I have goes waaay down.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

PUBG, Galaga, medieval combat

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Has this thread talked about Nova Drift at all? It's loving fantastic. I haven't had this "one more game" itch in a long loving time. In four days I've put almost twenty hours into it.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

victrix posted:

Circadian Dice is also pay what you want on Itch, check it out:

https://shuffleup.itch.io/circadian-dice

gently caress this sounds incredibly up my alley

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

This is wild to me, I tried playing with M/K and it felt awful, with a gamepad I feel super-competent.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Play posted:

But the issue I was having is the using the right stick to turn the craft left and right instead of just pointing it in the direction you want to go/shoot. I'm way too used to twin stick shooters for that. Then once you get a bit turned around it's super hard to remember which way you should turn the stick to point where you want. So much harder than just pointing your mouse in the right direction.

Also for some reason it's the right stick that allows you to turn left and right not the left which isn't used for anything

yeah, that sounds messy - my movement is definitely left-stick bound

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Deakul posted:

Man, I really wanted to like Jupiter Hell more than I did but oof, it kinda feels like it's just a 3D tile set for an ASCII roguelike and it doesn't feel that great to play because of it for me.

I don't know if the dev is still working on this feature, but Jupiter Hell is supposed to still be playable in terminal mode IIRC. There are some tiny things you'd miss out on though - with the graphics, you can see the lights on enemies as they move, and see them kick around destroyed props and such.

JH is good at feeling fast, he did some work with the animation system to help it feel fluid - you can't move diagonally in JH for example, but your character model will with the right input.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

victrix posted:

god damnit

I'm really praying this got added in a later patch because I've been playing since shortly after you could buy the game via Itch and I didn't realize it until recently

victrix posted:

fire fiend relic sets adjacent enemies on fire

barrels count as enemies :shepface:

e: addendum - do not swap out a good regular auto shotgun for a plasma shotgun. those take 4 cells per shot, and only fire one shot. I made it to beyond and had no ammo for anything :|

Why swap when you can carry both? When doing the shotgun builds I like to carry both when I can - shells get less common as you go, but you can still find enough to keep your regular shotgun fed for cleaning up trash.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I think Dungeonmans may be the closest one that's a fantasy game.

(I'd reccomend DoomRL - personally my biggest problem in Crawl is remembering what.monsters do what and are resistant to what and etc. and DoomRL has basically none of that.)

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Any good roguelikes that use a webtiles system kinda like DCSS does? I need to kill some time today but don't want to download anything to my machine.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Thirsty Dog posted:

Liches became a lot less cool when I discovered that "phylactery" and the way they're described is a pretty lovely and gross misrepresentation of Jewish culture

tbh I remember when this was Big News and among my jewish friends the responses ranged from "that is real obscure" to "none of these people are upset about the whole golem thing" to "I have way way way more important things to think about"

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Jedit posted:

Hades is a series of awful design decisions piled on top of each other which is liked because people love to fellate the developer. I checked out fast enough to get a refund when I saw that it had isometric level design but absolute directional controls.

are you trying to play on a keyboard or something

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

was thinking in the car today: has anyone done a (good) mashup yet of the deckbuilding-based progression like you see in Slay the Spire alongside a tower defense game? TD games can get pretty samey, having some variability in tower upgrades/types alongside variations in waves, maps, etc. would be a neat combo! I'm sure someone's done it, but everything I see when I google the pertinent terms looks kinda... bleh.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

BrianRx posted:

Ive been playing (dozens and dozens of hours of) Nova Drift. I've gotten into the mid 200s with some builds that usually rely heavily on filling the screen with missiles or becoming one yourself. I cant really make much progress with the other weapons. Using the split 3 shot weapon is pretty easy, for example, but it doesn't really put out enough damage to be viable for long. Others seem promising but are difficult to get off the ground, like grenades or the fire lance. Some of the ships, like Firefly and Hull breaker, start and stay strong, but others, like the worm, seem too fragile (or big, in the worm's case) to keep alive for long. Are there some other fun combinations or are things just kind of unbalanced right now?

Some combos I like:

Viper (or Assault) with Dart, pick your shield: stack that burn damage, look to eventually get Barrage and just melt whatever looks at you

Sentinel with Flak and Amp: get in your enemy's face and give them a smooch

Engineer with Flak, pick your shield: almost the same, but look to get Calibrate and Charged Shot to create a terror-lance that will rip ships in half, and let your constructs handle things for you

Engineer with Blade: do not take Burst Fire, do get Charged Shot and Calibrate and huck a mass of spinning death-discs across the screen. If you're feeling spicy, take the upgrade that puts your shield on your constructs and take something like Reflect, Siphon or Amp

whatever the broadside ship is I can't remember, with Grenade: maximize blast radius and get the option that splinters your grenades into smaller grenades on detonation. You don't really need to aim, but the targeting mods will let your grenades gently drift towards enemies, which increases damage.

Split Shot isn't so bad with lots of tracking and Snipe - remember that it does blast damage too, so taking those mods doesn't hurt.

Railgun is fun, and taking the option that lets your railgun shots wrap across the screen can do a lot of damage.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Have you never played an action game on a Kb+M before Hades? I'm not ever trying to be snarky here but genuinely curious, because that's like the most normal thing you do in any action game on PC. Like, in an fps game for example, walk in one direction, shoot in another.

the difference is that in a FPS, if I face north and strafe left and right but don't move my mouse, the shots all go in the same direction (directly away from me, northward) but they have a different destination (wherever I'm looking when I fire). in a third-person game like Hades (or Nuclear Throne, which is where I learned to not use mouse and keyboard for these kinds of games), if I leave my mouse in the same place and move around and fire, I get the inverse - all my shots have the same destination (where the mouse is pointing) but differing directions. saying both are simply moving and performing actions in a space is kind of reductive.

some actions are easier to perform with one control scheme over the other, and obviously it's going to depend on your personal experience; but as someone who uses a mouse and keyboard for first person shooters and a controller for third-person action games, there's a definite difference in ease of use (and tradeoffs you make in one vs. the other - I never use the bomb when I'm using the gun in Hades, trying to precisely aim it on controller is a pain in the dick)

e:

Ciaphas posted:

speaking personally i was totally fine with mouse aim in synthetik but couldn't aim for poo poo in hades, despite it being so much more forgiving

I can't use a controller when playing Synthetik because a. I want those headshots and b. by default it's real loving picky with controller deadzones and on all my controllers there's just enough drift that other games smooth out, but Synthetik is convinced I want my reticle to gently drift to the left constantly

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 28, 2022

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

so I ended up looking through my Humble Choice keys that I haven't touched for two years and found a key for Bullets Per Minute, a first-person shooter/rhythm game/roguelite. it's pretty neat, but this is the best thing in it:

big birb

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I had a similar fun time with Nova Drift; had a run going really well and managed to screenwrap myself directly into the boss

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you've ever played Dynasty Warriors and thought "This would be good as an action roguelite" then the day is finally here
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1851280/Samurai_Bringer/

Sweet christ this sounds exactly like what I need

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Have we talked about Shotgun King?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_O1_a6CLog

It's a killer little game that had me up until 4am last night, and I actually somehow beat it - I love roguelikes but my ADHD means that more often than not I tend to lose them by misclick or not noticing something fatal.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

So I just picked up the new Necrodancer DLC and I guess they've... changed the default controls since I last played? I'm used to pressing down and left to activate bombs, up and right to use a spell, etc. but it appears my control scheme has been wiped/overwritten with the defaults... which is fine, but now bomb, spell, etc. are set to face buttons. Which, okay, sure... but I really wanted to play the new DLC character, which also requires two directional inputs to change her sword orientation? I have to use the new default controls if I want to play as her, then? Or am I crazy?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

doomrl is one of my favorite roguelikes for learning the short-term tactics needed for roguelikes; unlike some of my other favorites (DCSS) there's no turning back after a level, so you don't have to worry about branches or making stashes or w/e

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Started playing a lil Nova Drift again after they added swords, did not use swords in this run but did nearly double my high score.

the last twenty minutes or so of this was sweaty - I could have gone a little further if I had picked some different mods somewhere, I think, but the boss/enemy combo in the screenshot is a mess to deal with with Salvo. Really wish I had gotten the upgrade that would have made my shots fragment into smaller ones, may have cleared out the mess a little more effectively.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Ooh, Rift Wizard 2. Someday I'll beat Rift Wizard...

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

rift wizard fact I just learned - the auto-gather command will absolutely take you through clouds

this can kill you

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

you might also be interested in the (now very old) Gearhead Arena or its sequel (the last time I checked, the third game is pretty incomplete). no permadeath, but completely customizable mechs

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

thank you, thread, for reminding me that necrodancer's controls got hosed at some point and it became unplayable for me; should see if I can fix that now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Speaking of, how is that game doing? Are they still updating it into... whatever it is they want it to be?

yes, recent updates have been pretty cool - the newest big one is a Shapeshifting revamp