Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

Some years ago I played ChessRogue, which has an interesting twist on it. Every enemy moves and captures like a chess piece (or at least a made-up fairy chess piece), and if you capture enough enemy pieces of a certain type, you get more and more powers based on theirs.
ChessRogue is really neat and I would love the concept to be expanded on somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations for web-browser based roguelikes I can play at work.. Aside from Dungeon Crawl, I am sick of (failing at) Dungeon Crawl.

I'm not really interested in telnetting in to like, ADOM or Nethack either, played those all to death too.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 20, 2013

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Played it already, Candy Box was better. :colbert:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I don't see why he doesn't just release something, even if it's poo poo and nigh unplayable. Technically a game came out so he's off the hook.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I finally bought Desktop Dungeons and it is as great as I hoped. Everyone go buy it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

victrix posted:

In most roguelikes, the vast majority of complexity comes from combat mechanics, interactivity is usually way lower on the list, if present at all.
I don't know what roguelikes you're playing but most of them do not have complex combat mechanics.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I dunno most of the roguelikes I've played, aside from ToME boil down to "mash into enemy in a 1 tile corridor"

But I'm bad at roguelikes and hoard wands and scrolls like an idiot and never play spellcasting classes.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The daily dungeon thing Spelunky does (and the challenges Brogue does) are great ideas and I'm glad more games are picking that up.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Bob NewSCART posted:

Does tome have a tab autofight hotkey yet? It's so annoying having an auto explore but then having to attack poo poo with your arrow keys/numpad. If you have one you may as well have the other.
I just use the mouse and click on an ememy and attack it that way. If I'm a wizard I set the left mouse click to use the ranged magic ability instead.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I dunno if I won some award several years in a row I'd probably just bow out gracefully and let someone else get the meaningless spotlight for a change.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I still think it's absolutely criminal that Spelunky doesn't have online multiplayer.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
ToME didn't win roguelike of the year! The system works.

(the system is busted, look at what won. :laffo:)

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It really should be a checkbox poll. Or there should be a runoff for the top ten or something.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
POWDER is fairly simple, as far as roguelikes go, while still retaining many staples.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
No he's thinking of NetPac

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I just got Hoplite last night and it is quite good. I wish there was an idiot mode that always displayed the attack range for demons, and also that the attack ranges took into account demons blocking other demon's line of sight attacks.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Are there really over 500 achievements? I thought there were 150 or so...
Most of TOME's achievements have different versions for each difficulty.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Any way to change the default colors in DoomRL console? The blue (like for blue armor) s are way too dark on my screen here and it's really hard to see.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

Edit colors.lua.

You can also edit the colourmap for your terminal to make blue brighter in general, but how to do that depends on the terminal emulator you're using.
Yeah I just added some green to the blues to make them more cyan and readable right in the command prompt options. Thanks.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah no, you generally don't need multiples of weapons unless you want to switch between them to reload less often, or are saving something specific for an assembly.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Angry Diplomat posted:

The exception being plasma rifles and BFGs if you are some kind of insane person, since they can be overcharged to double their destructive power but destroy them after a single shot (and consume an entire magazine's worth of ammo!). Do not do this with the nuclear variants unless you want to die in a mushroom cloud.
Hell if you find a second BFG you should hold on to it too because it holds more than a full stack of ammo inside it, even with the Backpack, so you could unload it if you were short on ammo for your plasma rifle.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I hate that you can only save on the stairs too because you can't just close out the game whenever. If I'm like killing time before leaving my house or work or whatever I basically have to stop playing way before I need because I might not have enough time to get through this next level and if I don't I've lost the entire run to bad time management.

I got poo poo to do let me save whenever.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Just make all the doors in Qud revolving doors, problem solved you're welcome.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Terry Cavanagh's been working on a roguelike that he started during 7drl and it's looking pretty cool so far.

http://distractionware.com/blog/

I love the graphics and the little feet on the @

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 16, 2015

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the vault is 100% optional and entirely based on what you choose to put in and take out of it. I really don't see why you need to balance every option in a game all the time perfectly forever.

Maybe guys like me who are bad at video games want an option that "breaks" the game.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
CoQ has more of a plot, Neo Scavenger kind of has one but it is mostly sandboxy. Cataclysm is entirely a sandbox game.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I would design a roguelike similar to the ripping mechanics in Last Stand. Every major monster you kill you can rip a part off and slam it on to a part of your body. You have several slots and what you rip and what skills you get depend on what part of your body it goes onto.

By the end of the game you'd be a monstrous freak covered in monster bits, using them to obliterate your enemies.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'd also like to see more roguelikes with low damage. like paper Mario low damage

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Generate a small map and the first item. Once that is generated do a second pass that adds areas you need that item to get to and through with. Then repeat?

That's probably the way to do it but I am not a programmer. Probably would need a lot of sanity checks to make sure the first item didn't just let you everywhere.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Unormal posted:

Ok, Qud is Valve approved and ready to go for tomorrow!

Do it.

PUSH THE BUTTON. THE SHINY, CANDYLIKE BUTTON.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

VolticSurge posted:

Oh,cool, thanks! Just, where is Argyve? I just need his general direction,then I can figure the rest out. Sorry,been a while since I've played this (one of the 2012 builds).

He's in Joppa in the lower left house.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I just bought CoQ. Thanks for the free game for so long you are cool.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I was wrecking stuff real great with an electobow I found in a box but then I walked into a jilted lover like a moron and died instead of shooting it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

The spire's interior is kinda boring although the banana grove is pretty cool.

You know what other game had a banana grove?

IVAN.

:tinfoil:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, autowalk really should treat those wall plants as enemies and not path you right into them.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Unormal posted:

...or you could just look in your output_log.txt in CoQ_data in the game directory and see if there's an obvious exception, or send me that first. Saves are in C:\Users\bbucklew\AppData\LocalLow\Freehold Games\CavesOfQud

Any way we can get an option to put saves in the program folder so I can throw QuD on a usb drive.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Unormal posted:

Already supports the -savepath "<whatever path you want>" command line.

I gotta like run as a batch file then I guess. Thanks.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Selling out is ok if it gets you mad stacks, imo.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

We're getting a little off topic, but a small part of me wants someone to remake Decker as a free-mium game, where you also have to build your own network populated by all sorts of ICE, and the networks that you do ShadowRuns on are other user-designed networks.

Do it do it do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
They don't restock so much as they just reset their entire inventory. I've missed out on data cubes I really wanted when the stop reset and has new items.