Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Too Shy Guy posted:

Don't Starve starts you off with a spread of characters to choose from (with more to unlock) and world customization options, and then deposits you into an isometric wilderness. Just about every object in the world is interactable and will become important to your survival and prosperity, but the initial steps are simple enough. Flint and twigs make tools for chopping wood and mining stone, which can be refined further into building materials that unlock new equipment options. You'll be setting up fully-featured camps but be aware that cabins and castles aren't in the cards... the best you can do is walls and some simple flooring.

I love Don't Starve for all the reasons listed there--the depth of the world, the unique aesthetics and sound, and the spooky mystery everywhere. That said, its default difficulty is kinda just too lethal. Fortunately, the devs added a lot of scalable options to give players some choice, and it's also got a large mod selection to further customize (or trivialize) the experience you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
My first roguelike was Fatal Labyrinth on the Genesis. Boy did that not age well even a few years later. My first "real" roguelike was Nethack.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

VolticSurge posted:

While it's a tad overpriced,it's pretty fun. I am annoyed that all of the cool characters (Gorilla,Vampire,Werewolf) all need to be unlocked. (How DO you kill a ghost?)

I'm trying to figure out the ghost thing myself, but there appears to be a 'ghost gibber ray' in the game somewhere so that's probably it. Unlocking Assassin is a real bitch too, since Neutralize missions seem to count against it.

The game is neat but really unfinished for the price. Early Access has burned so many people including me that I'm hesitant to jump on it even to encourage further work.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
So, my experience with ToME is that its cloud-saving...isn't. Or rather that it will update sometimes, at random, sometimes jumping backwards several hours or days and wiping out games and progress you'd made. It was bad enough that I just stopped trying to play it on more than one machine. Is this something that's been addressed at all?

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

make sure you play with the goon mods from the thread, they make the early game indescribably better

i need to sit down and make the half-cost-units/rituals mod i was planning to do, i think it would speed things up a lot

I am interested in looking at this game in the future, do you have a link to where these mods are? I dug up the right thread I think but they weren't in/near the OP

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Thanks!

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Even Diablo doesn't use pure Diablo-looting anymore--the current state of 3 is such that good loot is marked on the minimap and generally useful for your character, but always useful to some class (so you can grind alts or help friends), you never find +Int Barbarian gear for instance. Even the piles of trash can be made into useful crafting components, though you'll still end up with piles and piles of components.

I haven't personally found ToME's loot to be burdensome since you just burn most of it though even with a mod the gear comparison is not great.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
As far as I know it's still the app, which is okay with me since I only have a Kindle Fire, which is technically incompatible with Play but can run Humble's app if installed directly.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I hadn't seen it mentioned yet but Death Road to Canada is :10bux: and is a cute little pixel-graphic zombie beat-em-up/Oregon-Trail-like that I find genuinely funny. Like, you're in a zombie infested apocalypse and a bee gets into the car! Correct response is of course panic.

Also seconding any recs for Caves of Qud. It has a very unique science-fantasy setting with weekly updates and content being added, and a very atmospheric soundtrack--a lot of games, even most games, I end up turning the music off after a while because it just gets repetitive. Not so far with this one. The thread is very active and helpful for new folks getting lost (which is most new folks, it don't hold your hand much)

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Sproggiwood is also adorable even as you mad-pumpkin carpet-bomb enemies while Dungeonmans lets you add custom sprites and faces you with three tigers standing on top of one another.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

The idea of calling basic information "spoilers" is so 80s USENET geek it hurts.

It really is. I guess it let the turbo-nerds who could just open the source code to read it separate themselves from the herd of "people who had access to a computer" that kept growing and infringing on their once-sacred grounds.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
So I've been playing Curious Expedition again lately, and getting slightly better at it so now I mostly just die on expedition 5, once with the pyramid in sight while beating Huang Feihong by like two points. :argh: Does anyone have a good strategy for getting through 5? It's such a huge region and your crew's first impulse when out of sanity seems to be to eat each other so you get overburdened.

If you leave items in storage at a mission, do you get them back/get rewarded for them if you find the pyramid?

If you are overburdened can you just not use inventory items like guns and spears?

I wish it were easier to unlock new characters but I'll keep plugging away at it. Last time I almost had a pet raptor friend, it was still a baby when I died alone in the jungles.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

tombom posted:

Sunless Sea has wonderful writing and setting but its core gameplay is pretty boring and with permadeath it's incredibly tedious with no interesting decisions so it makes a lovely roguelike. I enjoyed cheating all my stats and everything high and just visting every location and reading all the story, there's quite a lot of it and it's all fascinating.

This is more or less my experience with it--the gameplay isn't super-interesting and definitely isn't balanced, you want to explore the cool setting but the game works extremely hard to keep you from doing so. I'm glad to see Fallen London continuing to be successful though, even if I don't want to keep playing it.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Because of you assholes, I launched ADOM again, made a mist elf priest with the Candle sign and tuned the stats to boost St and To as high as they would go, left just enough points unspent to get four talents and bought Heir and Alert for later Treasure Hunter (since I have to skip all the iron crap lying around). The Mist Elf Priest Heir Gift is a blessed swift eternium mace of the Sun, which smears most early mobs across the dungeon in a fine paste, and the starting elven chain mail ain't bad either. Candle + Priestly healing mostly makes up for a mediocre (rather than terrible) Toughness and since you are an elf you start with a bow.

Of course, in the process of throwing several of these into the Small Cave grinder to get one UD run prepped ADOM somehow locked its score file twice and crashed started experiencing an error every time I died subsequently, trying to save the game at that single instant. :argh:

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Please elaborate?

Yes please

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

zirconmusic posted:

To clarify the kind of stuff I'm thinking about adding, I was thinking of having a fourth "mode" selection when you start a game in Tangledeep. Right now you have Heroic (permadeath, but w/ metaprogression), Adventure (no permadeath), and Hardcore (permadeath + no metaprogression)

You could select "Custom" and be presented with some toggle options like:

* Passive HP regeneration
* Passive resource generation
* Monster HP regeneration
* Start with no abilities, learn abilities from scrolls instead
* Chance for monsters of any level to spawn on any floor
* 50% JP gain
* Item stacks limited to 9
* No NPCs in town, find NPCs randomly in the dungeon instead

Some make the game harder, some easier, some of them add more randomness/chaos that could be fun. But I would want these separate from the primary 3 modes.

Personally, I love this kind of thing. I'm not usually someone who needs to make a roguelike harder, but having the options is good for those that want them. And, despite huffy purists, being able to play at an easier level makes the game more accessible to a wider array of folks. It is a good idea to require at least one run at 'default' difficulty, and explain that the game is balanced around that point, but being able to control the game's systems can add a lot to its longevity and friendliness.

Don't Starve is a great example of this to me, letting you individually adjust a huge number of game elements to get your own experience out of it. Maybe you don't get achievements in 'custom mode' but that's okay. Games were fun before achievements too.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Man, I did not expect to love Monolith so much. It's totally worth it at fivebux.

I'm not clear on the dash though--it doesn't seem to have any iframes without the teleport upgrade, is that accurate? Still super-fun, going to beat the 5th floor this time. And then go to bed. Yes, this is a thing that I will do.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
The biggest problem I have with Diablo-loots is that you spend so much time sorting through and dealing with trash. Tome4 at least makes it tolerably simple to dispose of the piles and piles of garbage loot but hoping eternally for that one broken item roll can be tiresome when you have to search 300 containers* to get something the right color and tier to even consider seriously.

I'm also in the "FTL makes me mad" club, though mostly the last boss, which is just bullshit. Mostly it is bullshit because you must spend the entire game building carefully towards the limited number of available strats for dealing with the boss, and not trying to explore cool stuff or trying different ship configurations. I mean to try that rework mod, the Captain's Edition or whatever and see if it at least improves the quest chaining.

*elite monsters count as mobile, weaponized loot containers for this exercise

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Playing Streets of Rogue with a couple of friends, we decided to try a party with a bit of subtlety. Assassin, Thief, Hacker. What ensued was a multi-floor murderbrawl that ended with more than half of the city's population dead in various riots, only some of which were caused by zombies, and only one of the zombie outbreaks was because we accidentally hit the supernatural jail with a rocket launcher.

The assassin class has one tool in the bag, and that tool is murder, which also has a magical way of opening locked doors when nobody is left to hold the key. Baffled guards trying to figure out why their friend was dead and their generator exploded sometimes shot other civilians which lead to still more chaos.

The hacker class is just plain a public safety menace. Hacking fridges causes them to launch themselves directly forward in whichever direction they're facing, through any other non-steel buildings in the way. Hacking regular computers can often release gas, which then releases guards which the assassin then would attempt to murder. Hacking security robots is just hilarious and should be done all the time.

The thief actually was capable of some subtle intrusion, especially after buying off Suspicious. Unfortunately one thing that was bought on was the "Wall Walloper" trait, and so indiscriminately swinging baseball bats around collapsed a lot of local architecture. This did uncomplicate many missions but resulted in a lot of noise and cops who mysteriously ended up bludgeoned to death.

We got to the final level and barely did anything before the people all started shooting each other. The Mayor died in a hail of other peoples' bullets and his hat was just lying there in the open. The thief went for it and got gunned down by a supercop...who got gunned down by a haywire robot. The robot then picked up the hat. The thief, having gained resurrection, tried to shoot the robot but accidentally knocked it into a pit. A collective gasp went up, and what was left of the city fell into chaos as the only means of establishing political order was lost forever. FOREVER. We were all awarded the BAD ENDING. We did manage the finish the thief and assassin Big Quests, the hacker didn't even want to mess with his since it spawned killer robots every time--but now I sort of think that might have been a mistake.

In conclusion, Streets of Rogue is a fun little sociopathic murderfest with some very amusing interactions among elements. I hope the dev keeps adding those kinds of little details, and this game is a nice (for certain values of "nice) way to spend an hour or two with buddies creating absolute anarchy.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Too Shy Guy posted:

So thread, I was thinking... Suppose, hypothetically, that someone was going to play and review a bunch of roguelikes on Steam by the end of this year. Let's say 12 of them. What would be the new and/or notable ones you would want to read about?

It might also help to assume that this someone had done this for the past three years, too.

Monolith and Streets of Rogue

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Elona has a storyline quest. You 'win' by beating the final boss at the bottom of Lesimas, though you'll have to explore the rest of the game world too both to complete various quests to unlock the way down and to get strong enough. Elona+ adds much more content and more story progression, including 2 or 3 more continents with their own plotlines and main dungeons. I think the story there is incomplete and still in development. You can advance further down into the final continent's main dungeon and get more cutscenes and quests and boss fights out of it but you'll eventually reach the bottom without necessarily an "end"-end.

edit: and of course even after that you can still continue playing and grind your stats forever while diving deeper and deeper into the infinite dungeon.

I never managed to get very far in any Elona+ playthrough--granted the last time I tried was some years ago, but I always got tired of playing piano for rich people to get money and ended up using whatever good equipment I had to try a dungeon, and then invariably got wrecked. Is there a reasonably updated guide for making a go at it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

poemdexter posted:

Everyone knows the weird niche roguelikes are found on itch.io. :colbert:

Do you or other posters have some recs for good roguelikes/lites on itch that are not on Steam?

Hell I guess, "rogues that are not on Steam" generally would be nice to know about, I haven't been searching around much.