Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

madjackmcmad posted:

Like, straight up your level is too high, you can't go in here? Seems kind of lovely when there are guaranteed drops to be had. I'm trying something similar in Dungeonmans, if you waste time in dungeons that are too far under your level you get no XP or drops. There's a warning too on the way in, you actually have to choose "I don't care, I'm going in!" People do it anyway, they'd rather clear three whole floors with zero reward to get to a 4th floor which is just under their level instead of taking 15 or so steps southeast and finding a dungeon that's on level. I guess that means I need to generate more dungeons so it feels like there's more options available.

I think the only place like that is the Pyramid, and you get an invitation (an immediately generated papyrus scroll) to visit it as soon as you're eligible. When you get too high level, the mummy in charge hides it again. The tool cache has no items that can't be acquired elsewhere; the mummy has two artifact drops that are unique, though.

It's not a thing for all dungeons, and it's completely optional, though getting the items hidden in it (or dropped from the boss) can't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

victrix posted:

Desktop Dungeons, yes, no?

It's worth noting that it is, in some ways, a lot of a puzzle game rather than a straight-up roguelike.

It's good. It just may not be quite what you're expecting.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Man, I don't even want to imagine what a Sexy Quylthulg would look like :gonk:

Like a regular one with lipstick and a bow.

It worked for Ms. Pac-Man.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

megane posted:

The only things that don't ID on use now are some kinds of jewellery. Consumables all ID on the first use, and some things you had to ID back in the dark ages come pre-identified on the ground.

This doesn't mean you even have to try to use it usefully. Zapping a wand at nothing in particular identifies it just as well as shooting a creature, even if it's something like slowing.

There are two other ways things are unidentified in Crawl. One, wands don't tell you the number of charges they have, only the number of times you've seen them zapped, unless you're good at Evocations, the skill that controls evokable items' power. And two, magic decks don't tell you what they're going to do next unless you identify them or use a certain god's power to stack the deck, but decks being unpredictable is kind of their entire thing. You might also have to use them twice to identify the type of deck (if you don't use a scroll) since some cards are in multiple decks and you won't know which one you have on the first try if you draw one.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Harminoff posted:

Hack slash loot is the free app of the day on amazon android appstore.

It's not worth the $0.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

RoboCicero posted:

I think it's hilarious the unrelenting hate that Hack Slash Loot gets in this thread every time it comes up.

And it's totally deserved. When the entire game's tactical space can be boiled down into a flowchart that's "Find a Holy / Unholy weapon > Right Click On Enemies > Repeat For 2 Hours > You Win" you know you have something really special.

I own it on Steam from one of the 0.99c sales. I bought it some holiday season where I had a really lovely laptop and hours at the airport and I was like 'okay, I'll download a few small games that don't require a lot of processing power'. At this point, I had never heard of it before; this was a couple years back, in 2012 (maybe even 2011, was it out then?)

According to Steam, I have 14 minutes of gameplay time and have never been interested in reinstalling it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

doctorfrog posted:

Am I being impertinent for wondering why the developer of the game can't compile the darn thing himself? (I want me some new Brogue.)

He works on and compiles the Mac OS X versions himself, IIRC, because that's the computer he uses.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ToxicFrog posted:

What? Nethack had "pick your character's gender" back in 1987.

And Crawl does it the other way: it doesn't ask you because it doesn't matter. The only beings with specified genders are (some) unique enemies. Yours, the gods', and generic enemies are intentionally unstated (they renamed the mermaid enemy recently).

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

I've heard the same thing -- somewhere in development one of the devs decided to remove the pause between turns to see what happened, and oh hey, it actually works pretty well. Diablo 1 is still very clearly tile-based and I seem to recall being able to "see" turns lurking in the background, so to speak (e.g. in seeing the timing of how entities act). Though of course it's no longer actually turn based given that it's possible to dodge projectiles by moving out of the way.

You can have a turn-based game that lets you dodge projectiles. TOME lets you do so, because many (though not all) projectiles have a defined movement speed rather than arriving instantaneously, and if you get a turn between when they're launched and when they get to where they're going, you can get out of the way. Obviously it isn't quite the same way Diablo lets you act since it's realtime (now, anyway), but it can happen.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I think orb of destruction in crawl too? I wish more roguelikes did it more, feels like you have more tactical control that way.

Yeah, the Orb of Destruction moves (and unlike TOME projectiles, it tries to home but doesn't corner very well), but it and ball lightning are pretty much the only things that do it; in TOME it's kind of just a thing many projectiles that aren't beams do.

There is very little more satisfying than using a short-range teleport to vault over an enemy and let the Orb of Destruction tracking you hit it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can also deal with spontaneous combustion pretty easily by just carrying around a waterskin full of salt water. Pour 10 drams or so on your head, and all your burning-to-death problems are instantly solved.

That's a hilariously small amount of water to extinguish anything with. It's a bit over a fluid ounce, or about 35 milliliters.

Intended or accidental?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

dis astranagant posted:

I think they're actually gills. 4 of them weigh a pound.

Yeah, that's about a gill.

Unormal posted:

Dram and drachma (Greek coin) share a common etemylogical root, dram meant both a liquid weight and a measure of currency in the ancient world. Presumably it is not equal to modern or ancient fluid dram, but whatever a quddian dram is.

If a real-world name for a unit of measurement is used, I'm probably going to assume it actually is the real-world measurement in most cases, because how else can I visualize it?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Turtlicious posted:

With your imagination.

My imagination works fine, thanks. I just assume that words used in a game mean what they actually mean in most cases, and a dram is really small, so '10 drams' doesn't seem like very much at all! I mean, as was said, it doesn't have to be. But my first assumption is going to be that an item described as weighing a pound weighs ... well, a pound, not 20 kilograms. It's not really relevant.

Mostly this is making me want to play Caves of Qud, but I couldn't get the last beta to download properly and it's not on Steam yet. Soon, I hope.

Prism fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 2, 2015

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

ADOM uses "stones" as a unit of weight, but they're nowhere near the actual unit they use in Britain. Unless you want to believe that the average potion weighs 28-56 pounds.

ADOM's FAQ actually says '1s' is 50 grams, or at least it used to. He's still really inconsistent about assigning weights though, no arguments there.

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 2, 2015

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

chiefnewo posted:

What does "he saved himself" mean?

Literally that: you saved and quit the game.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

dis astranagant posted:

Pretty sure it has claw/claw/bite attacks.

Yes, and it appears to have hit one time the first round, three times the second and twice the third, out of three attacks per round.

Am I reading it wrong?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Maelephant posted:

Yeah, this is a misreading of the (admittedly arcane) combat system. The 1x, 3x, 2x values from that combat log refer to how many times the puma penetrated your AV and rolled its damage dice. This is the reason that early AV equipment can mean life or death for a low-level character.

You're right, that's a little arcane, but it makes sense now that it's explained; thanks.

I don't have Qud yet, I'm waiting for Steam release, so I'm not really up on this stuff.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
So, new Roguelike question: Cogmind.

Cogmind looks interesting but it's still in alpha. For anyone who's played it here: How feature-complete is it at the moment, and is it actually as good as it looks? I realize that second part's a bit subjective of course but I'd like to get other people's ideas on it. $30 is a lot to drop on an unfinished game; I don't mind beta testing in general but I'd like to know where it's going beyond the official articles on the web site (which are interesting, and I've read most of them).

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Lilli posted:

I remember someone earlier in thread was talking about being interested in going in on a three pack for cogmind with two other goons. Did anyone ever take you up on that offer, because I think Im at the point where Im interested enough to go in on it.

I don't know, but I'd do that too; $20 I'm willing to pay, $30 is just pushing it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tremis posted:

I'd be up for that if you have a 3rd.

I don't unless Lilli wants in, in which case I do. Not sure what the best way to organize it is, though, I don't have PMs.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tremis posted:

No PMs either. We'll figure something out if Lilli wants to do it. Tremis on Steam if that helps.

I tried to add you (I'm Wildcard). We can finish organizing up there.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

StarkRavingMad posted:

I believe you can dig through a wall with the mining laser. I haven't figured out if there's a special use for the welder.

You absolutely can dig through a wall with a mining laser, and other robots don't seem to care when you do it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ToxicFrog posted:

That's what closed captioning is for! :v:

Or you can always leave the sound effects on and mute the music, I do that in a lot of games.

I have hearing problems with one ear that make it very hard for me to directionally locate sounds or compare relative volumes of things from different directions even though I can hear OK from the other ear, and one of my friends who also plays a lot of roguelikes and other turn-based games is essentially completely deaf. Other people can't have sounds on for whatever reason and this applies to them too.

The closed-caption version of DoomRL made a huge difference in both of our playing ability; without it, like dis astranagant said, we're pretty much screwed. Please don't lock Qud off the same way. If it's sound effects that are tied to messages it's one thing, but if it tells you information that you can't get any other way it really does make it harder for some people to get into who normally don't have problems with that style of game.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Unormal posted:

I'm really a big proponent of accessibility, even though I don't always do everything I want to for it due to pure lack of hours, I try to think deeply about it in my designs, so no fear! (Also since the game was designed without sound, it'll probably just be flavor, not really gameplay integrated)

QQ.txt: http://steamcommunity.com/app/333640/discussions/0/541906348045336852/

That's really appreciated. DoomRL sound is pretty cool as a concept but it certainly makes it a lot harder to play without.

Also, that guy isn't wrong. It's simpler than Dwarf Fortress' adventure mode's combat from what I understand of it. (I don't think this is a negative, though. Dwarf Fortress is terrifyingly overcomplex in a lot of ways.)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ToxicFrog posted:

:aaa:

To clarify -- does this mean you're using the closed-caption mode of DoomRL I hacked together? Because if so you're the first people other than me to use it, I think, and this is super exciting.

Or is there some other, existing CC mode for DoomRL that I just failed to find before deciding to write my own?

There was apparently an older one that is no longer supported and was really bad (it just displayed what I presume is the name of the sound files it was playing, no additional info or anything, and tended to overwrite if you heard multiple sounds at once); it helped him more than me because I can hear that much. I don't know where it came from originally; I had it on my old computer but upgraded last month.

Yours is better. I have in fact tried it, though I prefer to play DoomRL offline so I didn't use it more than a couple times, and I haven't played much DoomRL at all lately. If I could I would be using it exclusively. Is there a version of it that's downloadable?

Prism fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 19, 2015

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

All those trees ever wanted was to visit the tomes of their dead loved ones.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

It just kind of leaks all over the place, like when you squeeze a Boston cream donut.

It's gross.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

SilverMike posted:

Nuclear Throne - Used to be my go-to coffee break game. Mutations are fun, guns are even better. And goddamn does it feel satisfying to get your first loop.

I tried playing this, but due to what I assume is a bug, I a) can't shoot while moving (I have to stop for as much as a second first) but b) shoot automatically whenever I start moving. I can't figure out how to fix this. Is there, like, a resource?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

That's weird. Maybe your control bindings are screwed up? Are you using a controller or keyboard+mouse? IMO it's the kind of game where you really want keyboard+mouse if possible, for better precision when aiming.

Keyboard and mouse.

megane posted:

I think I've seen other people with this bug. From what I read the fix is to bind "shoot" to something other than M1; M1 should still fire. :iiam:

That fixed it though. Thanks!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Highblood posted:

Roguelikes should start connecting their games to a server to allow devs to directly gently caress with their players playing

TOME?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Zombie Samurai posted:

Agreed, I got stuck in the same place for a long time. The third screenshot I posted has a little pink guy that looks just like you a little below and right of your character. THAT'S what you need to watch out for, because they have the same guns you do. Once you learn to hate and fear those fuckers, things go a lot smoother.

Honestly that looks like background to me, which is why I couldn't play Teleglitch; everything kind of blends together into a smear of pixels.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Can you explain Hydra Slayer? What makes it so complex? I'm not asking for a walkthrough or anything, just 'what kind of things are you juggling here', as I haven't heard of that one at all.

I've heard good things about Vagante but haven't played it. Maybe I'll see if it goes on salt on the Steam sale.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

IronicDongz posted:

I really like it so far, actually! It plays out really deliberately, feels almost boardgame-y at points. Different equipment, besides having things like different stats, also have things like different tiles they can attack, and what armor you have equipped determines how you move. Like, I got a lot of mileage out of armor that let me move 2 tiles left or right, but made movement straight up or down impossible. The whole game's pace is determined by the timed traps constantly going off, as well as a slightly FTL-esque thing where dangerous enemies eventually begin to spawn behind you and chase you while you try to reach the end-which makes things like taking turns to grab loot or switch equipment feel really weighty and important.

It's confusing at first but figuring out how to interpret the pictographs is part of the fun, and once you understand the systems it's a lot less hard than it seems at first.

By timed traps, do you mean turn or realtime? I haven't followed it at all and wasn't sure which it was.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dragons just like boxes, you know? They're like really big Snakes.

More like cats. They go into the box, but get really pissed when you take them out.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PleasingFungus posted:

why are all of your stats hexadecimal

It's a side effect if you equip the Hex Blade.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Poison Mushroom posted:

I like this idea. Also becomes hilarious because in the above situation, that lieutenant would be the warlord's Favorite Pillar.

Feature request: favourite pillars turn into Pillar Men.

They are exactly the same as the pillar but have legs.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Shinino Kage posted:

Cool

So the question is, should I pay $15 for it on Steam, or play the graphical version on the website?

Neither. You should not play it, because the time to play it was 15 years ago, when we didn't know any better.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Angry Diplomat posted:

Isn't there also a boss that automatically kills you when you enter its level unless you obtain a specific, otherwise useless item and use a command (used literally nowhere else in the game) to plug your ears with it, and which renders you permanently deaf until you use a different command (also used literally nowhere else in the game) to clean your ears out?

Because the Enner Beast is one of IVAN's most unique and memorably bastardly challenges, and the boss I remember reading about sounded like "the Enner Beast, except its scream does infinite damage and you have to beat it using spoilers instead of item storage and gumption."

Yes and no. That way (plugging your ears with beeswax) certainly works, and you won't need that command for anything else! But you could also be male and wield, not wear, a wedding ring; it doesn't work for female characters, and unlike what the post above me says, you have to WIELD it, not wear it like a ring or, slightly more sensibly, wearing an amulet of protection from undead, which merely changes it into a hundred damage or so. Or you can stand further away, but if she kills monsters with her wail the range gets bigger and you might not know...

It's all bullshit.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
On Steam in particular I also have grossly inflated times played due to forgetting to shut things off all the way, idle time while I alt-tab to do other things since I used to be able to play a game until I had a problem to deal with, or in a few cases, a game that stays 'active' when I'm done with it (Odallus did this for ages; I eventually figured out that I had to momentarily stop and restart my antivirus after the game or Steam would think I was playing it literally forever).

edit: it's Odallus that did it, actually

Prism fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Eela6 posted:

Final Fantasy X handled this really elegantly with the turn order indicator on the right of the screen that would preview the next ~10 entities to get an action.

I've always wanted more turn based games to incorporate that neat bit of UI.

The Grandia series has probably the best smooth turn-based combat system in a JRPG.

3's is the best (shame about the rest of the game though) but they are all great for it with varying degrees of balance. Visible time bar, distinction between waiting to decide and waiting to act, cancel abilities, everything.