Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Unormal posted:

You should put Caves of Qud in the OP, because it's awesome and some goon made it. :colbert:

Yeah, it sure is an awesome goon-made game that'll be receiving updates when someone finishes up a commercial project that may appear in this thread at a later date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Unormal posted:

Hey, look I found some screenshots of some new tile sets in a mysterious goon's possession.

It's still more adorable than any game involving stabbing things to death with a pitchfork has the right to be! :neckbeard:

Edit for content: You can't really go wrong with DoomRL for something that's pretty easy to pick up and put down. It even has pretty decent tiles now, if staring at the Matrix isn't your thing. I wish more roguelikes made use of sound, though.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Prism posted:

How do you even spot/open secret doors in Dungeonmans?

Mash your mans against walls you think might be a secret door.

'90s style.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

The online mode for the new Deus Ex game ratchets up the difficulty with each victory and complicates moving it back down by gating that behind rare items.

I'm not opposed to the idea of the world evolving, but the mechanism behind this march needs to give the players more tools to compensate, and needs clear ways that you can smash enemy progress.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Eela6 posted:

On the other hand, you could tell him to 'COOL IT'. He's probably a jerk anyways.

Do any roguelike devs know a good resource to learn pascal? I want to go source diving in DoomRL, maybe make a couple changes, but don't understand pascal.

I am a Python fan through and through, if that helps.

I'm afraid not, but if it helps, Gearhead is written in Pascal as well if you're looking to tinker in that direction.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Oh I'm not touching Pascal with a ten foot pole, but I love me some Gearhead. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Now I'm trying to think of a game with modern design sensibilities that could allow for the types of shenanigans that NetHack does. I think you'd have to set it up as a series of micro-scenarios, each of which is crafted to exploit the edge cases of the system. So you'd have a level where the player's only weapon is a cockatrice corpse, and the level would be set up to try to trick them into stoning themselves with it.

I don't think such a thing would necessarily work well as a roguelike, but it could be a fun game. You could name it The Dev Team Thought of Everything.

Space Station 13 is pretty much this. There's over a decade's worth of interlocking parts made by countless devs that, when put together in a chaotic environment, create amazing stories.