Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, Caves Of Qud is really cool and accessible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love TOME and not many other roguelikes and I also love Caves Of Qud. Just keep in mind that you will need to learn a handful of keys and then everything will be great.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
ADOM seems like it should be good but then it has things like "you were hit in the face with mud and have to use a special one-purpose command to wipe your face or you're blind forever"

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
DoomRL is now open source: https://github.com/ChaosForge/doomrl

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is that what Hand Of Fate is about?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What is a broguelike?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh you mean an ASCII Stalker-like

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
As soon as I finish reading Land Of Lisp I'm gonna do this except in Common Lisp.
If any of it works I'll post it on GitHub

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm excited because I have no idea how to make games and also the tutorial uses a terminal graphics library. Not enough games run in the terminal, you know?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

libtcod games don't run in the terminal

Awwww mannnn...well, it'll still be fun and informative. Those games you mentioned do have really nice graphics. Maybe I'll try one with ncurses for round two. I'd also like to include 80's-esque sound effects, maybe procedurally generated with a synthesizer library.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The stretch goals sound like a longshot at this point. No audio logs I guess :(

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Floodkiller posted:

I'm just happy it got funded, it was looking too close to failing on the home stretch.

Yeah, me too. I don't actually want audio logs :)

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sproggiwood is lots of fun and definitely worth getting while it's on sale

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Gungeon is loving great

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's a really good bundle

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pumpkinreaper posted:

I have sproggiwood but not invis inc or nuclear throne. Why don't I own them?
Poor choices were made

Say no more, my dude

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I feel spoiled by the graphics in Sproggiwood and Cogmind

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ator posted:

Cogmind livestream on twitch right now https://www.twitch.tv/kyzrati

First time I've seen the game in motion, it looks pretty rad with all the cool glitch visual effects and cyberpunk text

edit: :psylon:

cogmind loving rules

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

madjackmcmad posted:

Zircon isn't shilling his Tangledeep Kickstarter but I will :black101:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1363989456/tangledeep-a-dungeon-crawling-tribute-to-the-16-bi

Back this or you think Call of Duty is a roguelike.

Also completely unrelated in any way, there is a new build of Dungeonmans available today.

fakeedit: gently caress, beaten

loving backed

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Jalopy currently has a 50% discount on Steam, if that counts as a Roguelike

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's lots of things to like about it. The levels are procedurally generated. It's also very difficult, sometimes to the point of being unfair. As an ETS/ATS fan, it has plenty of the laid-back driving I enjoy. Jalopy has a great aesthetic overall and should appeal to roguelite fans, but it's still quite unfinished. Well worth $6 imo.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
MSC seems like it was made by someone with minimal technical skill and perhaps a personality disorder

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Roguelikes are so cool and this is such a chill thread, especially considering the "hardcore" reputation of the genre.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm on the edge of my seat for so many Kickstarters right now. Anxiously awaiting news from Tangledeep, Jupiter Hell, that turn-based Mechwarrior, not to mention the still under development Caves Of Qud and Cogmind. Hopefully I can finish Sproggiwood (on normal) before one of them hits 1.0

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Star Crawlers is really great. It's like a PC version of Etrian Odyssey with procedural levels.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cogmind is good

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

So, Everspace is supposedly a roguelike and came out from Early Access, what's the hot take?

It's great.
  • excellent graphics
  • upgrades between rounds
  • fun space combat
  • certain death
  • procedural asteroid-filled sectors

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lua is cool and you should give it a try

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Could you provide an example or two of RPGs that don't do this? I'm having trouble coming up with any besides, say, Undertale. I think "numbers going up" is pretty integral to the genre.

Maybe too far off-target here, but the Stalker series?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just noticed this one, which is on sale for $2.50 until November 1. Steam isn't very good at highlighting lesser-known games, is it? I can search for Linux games with the Roguelike tag and still never see this stuff.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/372080/Ananias_Roguelike/

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Please buy ADOM, it's pretty cool/frustrating

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Angry Diplomat posted:

"you'll probably die, are you sure?"

It's the only way to get the full roguelike experience

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I remember reading an article about Age Of Empires a long time ago. They calibrated the difficulty settings by measuring the success of their playtesters into standard deviations. It's not a very interesting way to create difficulty, but it did at least achieve consistency.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You should get Hydra Slayer while it's on sale and Hyper Rogue too for maximum aspergation

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I liked Capsized

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cryptark is definitely not about full-time guns blazing. Stealth is useful, tripping alarms is bad news (but not necessarily fatal), and you need to plan what you're doing. It's fun, but also seriously frustrating.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

ToME class icons

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
yeah it's fuckin good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

brainSnakes posted:

...I’m still waiting on someone to basically remake Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall as a steam roguelike so I can die of starvation miles below the surface inside some insane underground lake tower, because I’ve utterly lost the way out of its labyrinthine caves.

Sounds a lot like Delver. It's early access and the Steam updates trickle out at a glacial pace, but the devs are actively working on it and stream frequently.