Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I started getting back into ToME on Steam; are there any must-have or recommended mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I feel like I'm missing something in ToME. So far every character I make has gone through the starter dungeon, gotten some decent gear, and started putting together a skillset. Then I explore the other nearby areas and dungeons and I get wrecked as soon as I put my foot through the door. Even with random encounters, I'm barely scratching enemies but they kill me in 5 hits no matter how much healing I have or how many powers I use.

Am I supposed to be grinding the first area or something before heading out?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ah, I missed the new quests. Thanks folks.

I did manage to start up an Impenetrable Conga Line of Death on level 2 of Daikara (lesson learned: if the door's jammed, don't open it) consisting of five Snow Giant Cheiftains backed up by a lighting caster.

I left there and stumbled into the Derth area and bulldozed the Trollmire, though. I also unlocked two classes and the Arena by just wandering around so go me I guess.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

I have absolutely nothing to do this coming weekend, and I figured it would be a good time to try TOME. What's the easiest class to start with that isn't a run-of-the-mill warrior? Monsters are gooey and I don't want to facehug them constantly.

I don't know, man, facetanking as a Bulwark is pretty drat fun. I've been bulldozing dungeons thanks to that "prefered order" list from before.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

..btt posted:

That's so bizarre - if you don't like it, don't read it. But playing adom unspoiled must be an order of magnitude worse than playing nethack unspoiled. It's even more complex and opaque. And I like both of them! (well, I don't like adom 1.2.0 much, but you get the point)

It's the usual "fuckin' casuals" attitude; they had to struggle to learn stuff, so everyone else should to because "that's how it's supposed to be played."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Two questions on ToME: How do I get water breathing, and is there a trick to the sandworm lair that will keep me from constantly getting stuck, buried, and suffocating in the sand?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LotsBread posted:

I pre-ordered Gauntlet and now I want people to join me on this roguelike adventure

It launches today

Anyone interested?

Wait, Gauntlet doesn't have fixed dungeons anymore?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Unormal posted:

8GDZX-JZQW5-XVIAC

Got this one, thanks! I've been looking forward to playing this one.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Unormal posted:

If you take a key, it'd be great if you could fill out this survey after playing the first couple dungeons: https://www.surveymonkey.com/collect/?collector_id=57174173

The survey page isn't working. It says I don't have permission to view it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Unormal posted:

Omega is my emotional favorite, cool, procedural open-ish world just when I was becoming an aware-enough organism to appreciate it. FTL is probably my favorite based on objective statistical analysis.

:wow:

I thought I was the only person who ever liked (or even remembered) Omega. Such a good idea, but man it was a slog.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Has anyone here played Heroes of a Broken Land? It does look really interesting but there doesn't seem to be a lot of info about it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Darkest Dungeon backer keys are being sent out! :woop:

And I'm stuck at work. :argh:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, backers are basically getting an early weekend.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is there a way to adjust Ziggurat's settings so the final boss fight isn't an impenetrable smear of blurs and hit effects?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Has anyone tried KeeperRL? It looks like an interesting mix of your standard-issue roguelike and Dungeon Keeper.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

victrix posted:

Anyone know anything about KeeperRL? http://store.steampowered.com/app/329970/

It's...not there yet.

It has a DK-style setup where you have to set up rooms and stuff to get monsters to show up in your dungeon, but once they're there they don't require upkeep rooms, just things to do. So you don't have to worry about things like food or entertainment, but at the same time they just wander around aimlessly, build gear at random (and never equip it), and/or work out in the training room.

Imagine DK2, only with about ten times as much space to build in but only a third of the room types to build. And none of them are the interesting/fun rooms.

The map consists of an overworld with villages and stuff, but it's not that interesting. It's like one layer of a Gnomoria map.

There's also a lot of stuff you can build that'll gently caress you over. Build too many treasuries, even if they're empty, and thieves will start raiding you every five minutes. Build a beast cage to "summon" animal units, and that raven you get will just fly randomly around the countryside, aggroing everything out there. Oh, and there's always a dragon cave so the dragon can just decide to come over and stomp you into the ground.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Has anyone given Hero Generations a try? It looks interesting; you explore a randomly generated world and build things in the world to help you out, but your character will eventually die of old age and be replaced by their child.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

One-Way Heroics is under a buck on Steam right now, so grab it if you haven't yet.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If I was interested in poking around making a roguelike in python, what version/library should I use? Roguebasin has this old tutorial, but it needs libtcod and python 2.70. Then I saw some other sites using pygame but they don't have the same well-written tutorials.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

What's the goonsensus on Keeper RL?
I played it a while back; I wasn't too impressed. Base-building does follow the DK mold of "build rooms to spawn monsters", but the control is pretty rough and it's entirely possible to get wiped out because one of your mobs went for a stroll and aggroed an entire village, you made your treasury too big and now you're being raided by thieves every five minutes (regardless of how much cash you have), or because there happens to be a dragon cave ten feet from your spawn point.

e: Here's what I said about it back in May:

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's...not there yet.

It has a DK-style setup where you have to set up rooms and stuff to get monsters to show up in your dungeon, but once they're there they don't require upkeep rooms, just things to do. So you don't have to worry about things like food or entertainment, but at the same time they just wander around aimlessly, build gear at random (and never equip it), and/or work out in the training room.

Imagine DK2, only with about ten times as much space to build in but only a third of the room types to build. And none of them are the interesting/fun rooms.

The map consists of an overworld with villages and stuff, but it's not that interesting. It's like one layer of a Gnomoria map.

There's also a lot of stuff you can build that'll gently caress you over. Build too many treasuries, even if they're empty, and thieves will start raiding you every five minutes. Build a beast cage to "summon" animal units, and that raven you get will just fly randomly around the countryside, aggroing everything out there. Oh, and there's always a dragon cave so the dragon can just decide to come over and stomp you into the ground.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 17, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh hey, there was a Dungeonmans update? I haven't touched that in a while, let's take it for a spin.

:what:

At least he was only level 4.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tagichatn posted:

There's a new humble roguelike bundle, although it's mobile only: https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile/roguelikes-mobile-bundle

I haven't played most of the games but the top tier has Sproggiwood so now you really have no excuse for getting it.
Does Humble Bundle still do the thing where you have to install the games through their special Android app, or do they do it through the Play store now?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The biggest problem I'm having with Tangledeep is training myself to not nova all my abilities every fight. I kept running out of mojo every other fight.

On the topic of Tangledeep: question on raising monsters. Is there a way to track what foods monsters like? When I get the "it was okay" message, does that improve their mood?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Squashy posted:

I'm absolutely loving Tangledeep. I've been playing for about the last month. Right now I have a Hunter that opened as a Floramancer for the summons/AOE and I'm wrecking house with my Hunter Doggy and his plant friends. But I also have a legendary sword for melee.
Yeah, I started with a floromancer and lucked into a job change scroll in the store right at the start, so I went into the class I can't remember the name of that summons monsters out of their souls.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

zirconmusic posted:

I finally got around to implementing this for the next Tangledeep beta. I was chipping away at the groundwork engine code for awhile so putting these in was pretty straightforward.

** Full disclosure my motivation to do it now was this video by Mark Brown on game accessibility (worth a watch)
That's really cool that you're adding this thing in; I hope more games start doing stuff like this.

If you don't mind my asking, though: why are you disabling achievements for picking the "make the game easier" options? I'm mainly asking as a comparison to how Celeste doesn't disable them, and how Cuphead's "easy" mode prevents you from beating the game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For the record, I'm not a fan of difficulty gating cheeves/content, in the sense of "if you play on a lower difficulty you can't get <stuff>".

It just struck me as interesting to see Tangledeep take a sort of middle stance between the two big examples in the linked video:

Celeste: "You can completely play this in an easier mode, and you get all the game content and achievements."
Tangledeep: "You can completely play this in an easier mode, and you'll get all the game content but no achievements."
Cuphead: "You can completely play this in an easier mode, but you can't complete the game at all if you do."

Hopefully I'm not coming off as "I WANT MY CHEEVES" or anything; I'm just interested in this sort of comparison of the three stances. Admittedly I don't own Cuphead (because I don't like those hard-as-balls games) or Celeste (because I can't afford it right now) so I can't compare those gameplay experiences to Tangledeep firsthand.

e:

MMF Freeway posted:

Pretty soon you end with like 1600 cheeves, ToME style
I don't think you'd have to go that far. I could see having separate "beat the game with a medium difficulty modifier" and "beat the game with a high difficulty modifier" cheeves, though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

I think the suggestion above to increase the overall number of achievements is pretty solid: "Achieve goal" / "Achieve goal with no easy modifiers" / "Achieve goal with only hard modifiers"
Yeah, I feel like this would be a good route to go, because that way you keep the sense of achievement.

Like, from my point of view, I like achievements as a way of tracking progression or giving me something to aim for (like how Into the Breach does it). As such, I don't see why it matters that I did the thing on Easy or Normal or Uberhard, especially since once that PDINK happens nobody else is really going to care.

And like TooMuchAbstraction said, I like that little Pavlovian response for reaching these milestones.

To tie this back to the original topic, I'm really enjoying Tangledeep, and even though I'm not playing on permadeath mode the game is still challenging enough that I have to work for progress. That said, I wouldn't mind playing with "pets return to the corral" or "you regen stamina out of combat" on since those are like my only two real major complaints about the game, and it feels off to me that doing so would lock me out of achievements.

(Oddly enough, I just went to the Steam achievement screen and noticed that the achievements that track progress don't seem to be tracking for me. But that's probably a bug or something so I'll take that to the Steam forum.)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Does Gungeon still do the "you have to beat the boss without getting hit to get an extra heart" thing?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just a head's up: Tangledeep is $5.25 on chrono.gg today.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Does anyone happen to have the big effortpost someone made about how wands work in Noita? I've been having trouble trying to figure out the interactions (and surviving past the second or third world).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yup, that was it. Thanks!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Okay, Noita question. I just got this wand that I thought was really good:

But when I got to the next biome (the snow one), I died in like a minute because it didn't seem to be doing any damage. Did I miss something obvious here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

resistentialism posted:

always casts: blue hand (high -damage, high +speed)

basically, that wand would be good to load a bunch of black holes on, and little else
Ah frick. I didn't even notice that. That's really annoying because as near as I can tell there's not that many just "utility" spells?