Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Doom Goon posted:

Edit: I think the Dungeonmans section should be filled out soonish because there's a thread.

That would be great.

TheMightyCheese posted:

Another possibility for the OP is Risk of Rain, which is a platformer roguelike-like based around surviving on an alien planet while everything tries to kill you.

I second this. Also +1 for Meritous.

ComposerGuy posted:

No "Castle of the Winds" in the OP? For shame!

Indeed.

Jordan7hm posted:

I wanted to get the new OP up today, but it took wayyyy more time than I thought it would. I probably won't actually finish it until next week.

Yeah. I'd really hate to see the smaller games in the old OP get lost behind the glare of the big ones. Don't mean to sound like a jerk, I'm just a grumpy old man when it comes to preserving the quirky, smaller, and unfinished games that make up such a large part of both the current roguelike scene and our history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Jeffrey posted:

It is worth it to unplug your mouse for an hour and spend it playing your favorite roguelike. You'll never go back.

I had a few people tell me that they were unable to enjoy or even play Dungeonmans for lack of mouse support, usually due to stuff like arthritis. I too play keyboard exclusively if possible, but I totally get why mice should be included. They'll be in Dungeonmans for sure.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Anyone have a contact at 7DRL? Their blog has been compromised, it seems.

http://7drl.org/

quote:

Hair is water, if any. but you will acqui­si­tion some of the best places listed below, As a admired ones present to them­selves they agi­tated out an inter­net chase acquis­i­tive to locate and admis­sion this adapted video game. he antic­i­pa­tion they breadth best of the dice? Us of the accord amidst bed­mate and wife bar­gain GHD stylers, will feel they can access abun­dance is far from ade­quate.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Anyone ever mention that CultRL became a kickstarter failure? After 1+ year of largely leaving backers in the dark, Lord Dullard basically come out and said 'Yeah this is too hard and I don't have any enthusiasm for working on it anymore so I'm probably not going to' Great attitude to have after taking $34,000 of people's money. I probably won't back any future roguelikes that aren't big names, not that I was a cultrl backer or anything.

Holy poo poo

malkav11 posted:

What? I backed this and this is the first I can recall hearing of it.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Everyone knows KS are not preorders, but that's still lovely of a developer to just go 'gently caress it'. Especially not having some big problem but just decide that making games is no fun. At least release the source and assets to the backers.

Wow. Very upsetting, I could post an entire wall of rage, though I don't imagine that will help anyone. Ok, listen up:

If you

1) Are a goon,
2) did not back Dungeonmans,
3) did back CultRL and have been hosed thusly,

Please send me a PM and I will add you to the list of :10bux: Dungeonmans backers. You put some coin down to fuel the sails of independent roguelike development, if that dude can't or won't carry the banner across the battlefield please allow me to pick it up.

This is for us here in the Roguelikes thread and not a general offer to all CultRL backers, I obviously can't support 1200 people doing this but I can do something here locally.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

You know I think I read that post, but it was during a pretty busy time and I didn't connect him with the CultRL project for whatever dumb reason. It doesn't change anything though.

steamless developer posted:

I think another problem at this point is that I *myself* am losing steam when it comes to the project. At one point this thing ate up my thoughts, dreams, et cetera. Now I am... frankly, not so enthusiastic about it. My life has moved in a different direction than I expected, and my goals have changed. That does not mean I intend to drop it or quit my obligations; I'm just stating reality (after all, lying isn't going to do me any good). For a long time I thought I could just plow my way through it with sheer determination no matter how unhappy I was with the work itself. At this point I'm being forced to acknowledge that isn't the case. As much as I wanted to be at one point, I'm not Tarn Adams.

I think it might have been possible to build a more aggravating paragraph, but only just so.

It's a shite situation. He can't afford refunds, he won't finish the game, and all this chatter of going after him in Kick Kourt would just make everyone but the lawyers have sad empty pockets.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Uh, no. Deep Silver is owned by Koch Media. The Koch brothers are a totally different thing.

I think he's just referring to the Koch Brothers generally owning all of the things, everywhere, through layer after layer of corporate structure.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Chakan posted:

But I do work for Fantasy Flight

Have I mentioned lately that you are so pretty and/or handsome, smell wonderful, and why I was just talking someone of the gender(s) you are attracted to and they agreed with me wholly. :allears:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Quitter posted:

As some of you have noted, the Kickstarter didn't end up paying out a great deal to me. I can pull out my tax paperwork, but I believe what ended up coming to me after taxes, fees, and payments to contractors was approximately $14,500. That was enough to allow me to develop for a year or so on an extremely minimal living.

This is exceptionally disingenuous, more reason to be very upset with him. "Taxes" on a Kickstarter at the 5 figures level are almost a non-issue, given that nearly everything you do with the money becomes a legitimate, no-tricks-or-loopholes business expense. Most egregious of all, the guy set a goal of 5,000 dollars, made seven times that amount and complains that it isn't enough to survive on.

I'm very angry, I can feel the follicles on my neck sprouting with excitement. It will pass.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Stelas posted:

His stretch goal rewards aren't really that outlandish, though, and he used all the right language to allow him to write his $35k off as business-related expense. Unless he got absolutely shafted on the cost of someone building his tileset and website for him, I don't get where $20k is vanishing into the air.

You don't need to disguise things in clever language. I spent some time talking to a CPA who handles the taxes for a studio I worked at prior to Dungeonmans. If you work out of your home, some part of your rent and utilities can be claimed as expenses. Money you give to contractors count as expenses. Any new hardware you purchase for yourself are expenses. Money spent supporting the business, both before and after your KS launch, all of that counts. The wording on the KS isn't relevant, the income from a KS is the same as income from flipping burgers or selling plush ponies on Etsy.

Sleepy Owl posted:

I've been waiting for an excuse to post this. Everyone is vomiting, on fire, and beating the crap out of everyone.

That's so awesome. Do fires in brogue carry downward through pitfalls generated via potions? Because that would be the next comedic step, to drop all of this hot mess onto a room full of ogres with chained salamanders.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

On an unrelated note, taking Carapance and Thick Fur on the same character feels so wrong from an aesthetic point of view, but makes so much sense from a min-maxing one. Especially if you also take "Spontaneous Combustion" as a drawback. :v:

The fur is a layer between your skin and the carapace, though if you move too fast the static charge building up in there might spark and set you aflame. All the pieces fit.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Incredulous Dylan posted:

What would you folks recommend as a Roguelikelike for this specific usage scenario - I want to get high as hell and explore and fight stuff and maybe find some cool or overpowered stuff if I'm really lucky. Permadeath and all that preferred with no ASCII. I loved Binding of Isaac, FTL and once when I was pretty drunk Munchkin Quest ;)

I think you need some Dungeonmans. I could certainly use more feedback from the "high as hell" customer base.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Unormal posted:

I made these animated gifs of Sproggiwood in action for the Making Games thread; I thought you guys might enjoy them:

Sproggiwood is pretty much completely playable, we're in the process of fleshing out content. Here's a few little quickly made gifs of action happening:

Warrior charges:

Wizard teleports and kill some stuff with frost ring:

Farmer chucks a pumpkin to kill a group of slimes:

Those look fantastic!!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

The Royal Scrub posted:

Are there any party based games where you control a couple characters continuously? Almost like Warhammer Quest but as a good roguelike?

Deepshock has been working on a game called Bardess where you can have a party of up to six. It's early on but the preview builds he shared in the last roguelike thread were full of potential. IIRC you controlled one at a time but could jump between them.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

andrew smash posted:

he asked for a co-op game, crawl could be considered cooperative only in the meta sense that if you ask in IRC people will watch your game and advise you

You know what would be an awesome frame for a co-op roguelike? Time Crisis.

Biggest worry I have about co-op roguelikes is where one player wants to run down a 15 tile hallway while the other is fighting a desperate battle where he ponders for 20 seconds on every move. Ruinous! But if you had two agents shooting up a random fortress full of baddies, room by room, you could have something. They plan the attack together, then shoot and cover, each taking turns covering the other while they leapfrog forward for better position. Keep the fight rooms smallish with lots of things to hide behind and around, and fill the game with weapons that encourage teamwork and combo kills.

7DRL is almost* here!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Mercury_Storm posted:

I think Eldritch might be made by a goon too?
I know those two dudes personally, and used to work with one of them a few years back. Great guys. If Eldritch does well you will probably see more quality stuff like this for a long while.

quiggy posted:

:wow: that is indie as gently caress
You know how right that is. They both spent a long time in AAA, now they are rolling around in the heady grasses of creative freedom.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Bouchacha posted:

I hate these loving "teasers", like all we give a poo poo about is that your game has a guy in armor.

...I'll buy anything he puts out. DoomRL is a masterpiece.

Yeah, it's great to finally hear about the game he's been hinting towards but I'm not sure that teaser is... I don't know the word. But, if he's aiming to build a community pre-Kickstarter, this is one way to start doing it.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Oh lordy.

http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php/12785-Is-there-anything-happening?p=82993&posted=1#post82993

ADOM y u no progress?

Biskup posted:

1) It takes me an eternity longer to write the god-drat ADOM Lite RPG compared to what I expected. And by now it has reached a state where it is draining my will to live, honestly. It must be done by October as otherwise I am going to run into tax-related funding issues and thus it must ship this year. But it has taken a lot more months than I ever expected. In retrospective it would have been much better to not collect the money for the RPG and waste time and energy writing it.

The second reason is actually more serious :( I fear that sort of thing myself, actually.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Unormal posted:

Hey look I made Caves of Qud not look hideous:

Awesome :) I can't believe I haven't gotten around to playing this yet, surely I'll be out of excuses soon.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

MA: Don't know what it stands for, but it's your defense against psychic attacks like Sunder Mind. It scales with either will or ego.

Clearly then the answer is "Machismo"

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

_jink posted:

I drew my esper :-D

COMEDY OPTION

This rules, comedy option also rules. Good show.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Approaching Infinity is trying to kick up all of 5 grand to get some real assets (art and sound) into the game. You can play it now on the free.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/181428952/approaching-infinity-a-space-adventure-roguelike

The playable is right there at the top of the page. It's really fun if you like toolin' around in space, fighting pirates and trading things. There's a fun planet scouring mini-game as well, where you've only got so many turns you take away from the landing shuttle before you run out of air, but you can refill at the shuttle as many times as you like. Planning the best move, discovering stuff to get on the next run through, and fighting all the slimy creatures is good.

You can find puzzle pieces that unlock secret space temples, make money buying low and selling high from sector to sector, and do all what you expect to do in space. It's quite simple but I really like it. I think it would be fair to call it a Prospector-Lite.

I've had some pleasant back and forth with the dude making it, he's busted his rear end on the game for a while now and the whole thing is an after work labor of love for him. He's made a ton of smaller roguelikes and done I think 3 7DRLs.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

andrew smash posted:

I played about 50 hours of ftl but I got tired of rolling game after game hoping to spawn the right sectors for unlocks. I wish that system was overhauled in some way.

That's my beef with the game too, and it's really preventing me from enjoying it. I haven't touched it in months. You're just drawing cards off a deck, and if those cards don't let you get enough resources to do anything cool with your ship or crew, welp. Too bad.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Serephina posted:

->Dragons are to be avoided at all costs

This offends me on the deepest level. Not that you're wrong, but that there's a trend among roguelikes to put in super strong, cool monsters and the #1 strat by a mile is "run the gently caress away"

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

..btt posted:

It's Sil. It's on theme. The right thing to do both mechanics and theme-wise is often to run away. You're an elf sneaking into the fortress of a demi-god. You're not supposed to make it your bitch.

Jeffrey posted:

Figuring out the right way to run away from stuff is like, the game. You even get XP for it in Sil. Monsters designed to make you figure out how to best way to run away are a pretty legit design option.

I get it, and objectively it's good design. It's a unique type of challenge, part of the genre's flavor, and it all makes sense. Objectively.

But, subjectively, which is shorthand for "my own personal opinion and who cares": ugh. There's a broad spectrum between running away on sight all the time and making something your bitch. Close calls, encounters that you run from because they went south (an unlucky enemy crit, or extra monsters you didn't expect), encounters that would be deadly but you prepared for them, and yeah every now and then you get player domination. Usually that last part is well earned, after dying a whole bunch previously and learning how to deal with the challenge.

Dragons are also brilliant, intelligent foes. Fighting one is going up against someone almost assuredly smarter than you, who has a stronger force of arms to boot. I have a pretty nerdy stance on dragons in that I never see them as trash monsters. High level fights that throw you in a room with seven dragons that you just yawn through are offensive to me too. Fighting a dragon should be such an event, and as it stands I don't even think I can represent it correctly, which is why there aren't any in Dungeonmans.

Anyway this is all just my opinion, because roguelikes are one of my favorite things to discuss.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Ah Map posted:

Can you actually avenge a previous character in dungeonmans in Summer Preview Build 2013 1.07c? I never seem to be able to and i have gone all round the dungeondungeons trying to.

That feature has been available since 1.03. The patch notes live here http://www.dungeonmans.com/?page_id=290

quote:

Fallen Heroes!
* Dungeonmens who get killed may linger on in one form or another. If you return to the location where a previous hero has fallen, search carefully!
* Depending on the level of the fallen hero, you can gain some bonus experience, a powerful weapon, or…

You need to visit the dungeon and floor the hero died on. A more complete explanation is below:

Find a blue funeral pyre on the floor where you hero fell. You will get an XP bonus based on his level. In addition, if he was level 5 or higher, you'll find his weapon (or sometimes armor) enchanted with unique and powerful bonuses you can't get any other way. If a hero of level 9 (or is it 10, I'll check) or greater dies, he will return as a ghost to teach at the Academy.

Now, so far, I haven't seen any bug reports saying that this doesn't work, but that doesn't mean there isn't a bug. The most recent build (also at the above link) is quite stable, so if you're willing to restart your Academy and get some new features, you should give it a try.

When I revisit this system for the alpha, I'll be extra careful.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Unormal posted:

Sadly I realized it's only 4 weeks, I don't really have the time this month, with Thanksgiving travel and all. :(

I feel your pain, I bought a set of his recently and I've been dying to use it, but the time isn't there. Dungeonmans has moved from side project to job, and now I need a new side project!

e: Right now (9-11pm EST, 26 November) Dungeonmans composer Andrew Aversa (zircon) is livestreaming his work on the theme for some endgame dungeons, if you want to swing by, listen to the goods, and talk about dungeons. http://www.livestream.com/zirconmusic

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Oh sweet, 13 new posts in the Rogulike Thread... oh. We're discussing what a Roguelike is or isn't again. :cheers:

In other news

DalaranJ posted:

What do you think are the gameplay aesthetics that appeal to you about rogue or other roguelikes?

I feel that they are (in order of importance to me personally),
'real' strategic decisions in game play
and exploration and discovery.

So if we think about these two aesthetics as being desirable to people who enjoy roguelikes we can see how the mechanics of roguelikes are derived from that. Procedural generation combined with permadeath ensures constantly renewed exploration and if the game is properly organized causes emergent strategic situations. Likewise, the item Iding game combines strategic decisions with renewed discovery. 'This potion could be dangerous, what is the safest place and time to test it?'

If you want your game to be roguey make sure your mechanics point towards these two types of aesthetics. Obviously the game should also have mechanics that point it towards beat em' up too. Honestly, I want to see the UI look and act a lot more like a beat em' up, maybe Golden Axe?

When I play a roguelike, I hunger for those moments when everything clicks and you overcome a tough challenge. You've died a bunch, learned how this and that works, and now you're facing off against something very difficult that is going to require a near perfect sequence of choices to succeed. When you win because you used the right items, the right powers, and were prepared for the encounter's particular nuances, that's the best. For me, anyway.

I also really love sandboxes and procedural worlds. That's not really core roguelike but it is something that calls to me.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

German Joey posted:

The only people who hate discussing what a roguelike is are people who insist that platformers and fps games can be roguelikes. :cheers:

You're wrong! :cheers:

I hate the discussion because it drags on for pages and never ends well. No one is happier, nobody changes their opinion, and less people are talking about cool niche games that they found because they saw this blog from this guy who has a friend who's cousin is a big Python nerd and he spent all of last semester at GT writing a game about exploring the ruins of a Mesopotamian bakery-temple, with procedurally generated leavening techniques and grain based religions.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

If it happens, it happens. People like to discuss things I don't like sometimes as well.

I'm only complaining because those particular arguments are ever fruitless. Yet now we are having a discussion about not having certain discussions, which means the monster is actually me, and I have gazed too long into the abyss.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

victrix posted:

Does Risk of Rain support controllers natively?

It does! And it's super fun, you should totally treat yourself to it. Issacian in that your run is determined early on by the sort of items you get, and that you unlock new items through just playing the game. I've been a little frustrated in some of my earlier runs where I'd play for what I felt was a long time and end up unlocking nothing, but you can avoid that if you want by looking up the goals in the menu and aiming for them.

Risk of Rain is also very smart about how they present information. Powerups that have charges, conditions, or meters just create little effects around you that are easy to parse and immediately tell you what's going on. There's little that compares to getting your 20th or so item and just feeling like the god of fight.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

I think you were responding to a post in the dmans thread, not here.

EvilMike posted:

Should be noted that almost all of crawl's vaults are also heavily randomized. Placement and distribution of monsters, dungeon features, and even the vault layout itself gets randomized. You can even get vaults that place more vaults inside them (this is essentially how most of the "dungeon sprint" maps are built). There's still a predefined map which it's structured around, but the RNG plays a vital role too.
Yeah, there's degrees of randomness and the line is fuzzy. No matter how random your dungeon, there's still human input in the design seed. Even the most basic Hallways and Rooms Dungeon is still cultivated by the programmer and they have made the decision that areas will be straight lines or square rooms. But you can do so much with just that! Look at Tiny Keep's dungeon generation: http://tinykeep.com/dungen/ rooms and hallways, but very different from *bands.

Knowing the shape of a room, the physical layout, is different from knowing who or what will be inside. Take Hell's Arena in DoomRL. You know the shape, and you know what's inside. You know you can run backwards from Pinkies with relative safety because the worst you'll see is another Pinkie (from afar, because the room has plenty of LOS) or a Cacodemon. But if it had randomized monster types, well you know what the room looks like and you know where you can run, but you *don't* know if you're going to run into something truly lovely. In the case of Hell's Arena, that would be poor design, because that level is aimed at lowbie characters. But imagine running into that same level later, where your weapon loadout is more mature and the enemy pool to draw from is much wider. It's a different experience.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

overhead bullet hell arenas

Yesterday I decided to fire up Meritous for the first time in like two years. Three years? Crikey. Anyway, overhead bullet hell arena ftw! It has yet to make it into the OP :( and the old thread just recently reached archive status, so here's a link!

http://asceai.net/meritous/

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

I like bullet hell arenas when they're not straigh-up bullet hell but only around the level of "quite a bit of bullets".

Bullet heck, perhaps?

In Meritous, you can move and you can charge a blast that sends out a circular wave. That wave hurts enemies and clears away hellish bullets, so it's about timing and dodging but it's a touch easier than it looks. Also you build up a reflective shield so you've got that going for you too.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

MrBims posted:

There is a big penalty but it is very possible. Also, just in case you turned sound off, you should know that unseen enemies that are hit can be heard and identified by their pain sound.

DoomRL is so good, and part of that is the audio, because Doom's audio was so good. Man.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

:siren:Thread Contest:siren:

So turns out I want to have more game descriptions in the OP but don't want to go writing them all myself. Turns out I also have a couple extra copies of various commercial roguelikes kicking about. So... I'm going to give away a few copies of games like Risk of Rain and SotS: The Pit to people who want to do some of my work for me!

This is a beautiful idea! Jordan if you're so inclined, I'd like to add one Dungeonmans alpha tier backer reward to your collection of gift giveaways. That's alpha access, a whole mess of zircon music, and a pdf of the Dungeonmans Almanac when that's done.

Let me know if you're disinclined too, in which case I'll edit this post.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

I'm in!

Meritous
Cost: Free download

Genre: Monochrome Exploration Bullet Hell Adventure
Graphics: yes
Music: Synthy 16-bit era chip
Platform: PC

Forks: None

On the outer fringe of the Roguelike ecosystem, Meritous has a massive (seriously look at that map) procedural dungeon with lots of baddies and limited continues. You have one interaction with the world: hold space bar to charge up a circular blast, let go to fire. Holding it longer increases the range, damage, and recharge time. That's it. Run around this bigass'd dungeon collecting crystals, upgrading your weapon and a reflective shield, finding teleport markers and compasses that lead you to the next boss or critical piece of plot loot, and dodge tremendous clouds of bullets, lasers, and bouncy stars.

Fast paced and simple, with a cool visual and audio style that does a better job setting the mood than you'd think. Enemies are very creative and get tougher as you progress, world pickups evolve your character slightly with such abilities as being able to see how many baddies are in the next room. You have a set number of lives, when they're out it's game over. You can reload your save, but you have the same number of lives as when you saved so if you get down to 1 left and have made no real progress, you're probably better off starting over.

Meritous is a palette cleanser, a great little game that can get you thinking about just how much room for variety and creativity there is in the genre.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Wow, this is terrific. The little post game fairy dispensing advice, the long list of excuses you can pick from when you die, hahaha. Flavorful.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

MrBims posted:

Man don't post this. :(

Why'd you have to remind us about it...

We need to be reminded of Incursion, to inspire the next generation of hobby developers, with a gleam in their eye and sperg in their veins. Unfinished projects inspire new projects from other developers, odd how that works. Or, if the unfinished is open source, it gets picked up. Not too different.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Eschatos posted:

I can't think of any way a controller would provide an advantage.

I wasn't able to clear the game before I switched to controller, however that almost certainly has to do with the fact that I started the controller with X hours under my belt, whereas I started the KB with zero. It was perfectly playable with a keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

victrix posted:

I can't play Nethack any more these days, too much fiddly ui bullshit, but I still have a soft spot for it, such a wealth of gameplay options and so many random goofy funny tidbits. We need a modern Nethack - Dredmore and Dungeonmans ain't quite it.

There was a time (2009ish) when I had considered taking Dungeonmans down the more serious simulation route, but I turned away. It didn't feel like the type of game I really wanted to make, I sort of felt like I was just checking off Roguelike Checkboxes. Complex inventory, weight, special pickup commands, stuff like oh you got wet some point within the last 50 rounds so this cold attack hurts 2% more and if your stremf is too low you might catch a cold which will cause you to sneeze and ruin your stealth but also gives you a +5 defense against nasal maladies such as disease mold and...

The other two things were UI considerations, and that I had gone with sprites instead of tiles so I'd need a lot more work to convey the massive bestiary a real Nethack evolution would have.

What are the core things you'd carry forward if you were bringing Nethack into the glistening neon future?