Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

victrix posted:

Also to be clear that wasn't a knock on Dmans
Not at all. I just like talkin' bout dungeons.

victrix posted:

Nothing else comes close to the number of crazy ways you can interact with items, monsters, and the world as Nethack.
In general the 'gotchas' in Nethack are poo poo design imo, as the majority of them are 'once you know this, you're safe, before that, you die and get to restart!'
In most roguelikes, the vast majority of complexity comes from combat mechanics, interactivity is usually way lower on the list, if present at all.
I like the idea of secrets in our roguelikes, but I like them best when discovering them makes your gameplay better. The opposite are secrets that you have to know about to even progress. ADOM has a button dedicated to wiping mud off your face, that's such a gotcha the first time you need to do it. I know that's touted as realism, but the reality is if there was mud on your face you'd wipe it off by instincy, unless you were some mad crazy kata fighter with an iron will.

victrix posted:

When combat is the only 'language' you have to speak to the game, there's less 'dialogue' you can have with the world - and you're straining the limits of creativity to come up with new and interesting ways to make 3x3 grid combat and letterbumping engaging.
It's true. I'm trying to raise that bar with Dungeonmans but at the core it's a game about crushing monsters and taking their stuff, it lacks the broad collection of world interactions you see in Nethack.

icantfindaname posted:

The complex interactions. First of all I think people exaggerate how much of a problem the need for spoilers is. It's definitely not the game's biggest problem, probably not even in the top three or so. The problem really lies in the necessity for the player to use the really boring and tedious interactions to survive. I certainly never had the patience to survive as tourist or even as wizard, because it involved writing elbereth every 100 loving turns which takes hours of real world time, and using darts and whatever lovely daggers you find lying around to attack with for a significant part of the game, etc, etc. They would be fun and interesting mechanics if you didn't have to heavily abuse them to actually beat the game. Most of the interactions in the game aren't this, though, they're just fun and interesting to varying degrees, although some not as much as others.

Beyond that the fact that the game has a sort of story and unique levels that don't consist of boring maze and don't fit some pattern of 'here's the undead branch, here's the sewers branch, here's the spiders branch, here's the hell branch, etc'. The castle, medusa's lair, the elemental planes, the dwarven mines, sokoban, the quest; The fact that I can list so many off the top of my head without having played it in a long time says something. But then again there's gehennom which is terrible.

Nethack is really incredible because it has, at the same time, some of the best game design I've ever seen, and some really really bad game design along with it, possibly in equal parts. I've always been of the opinion that a game consistently as good as nethack's good half would be basically a Michelangelo level masterpiece. I don't want to praise the game too much, but it does seem to be cool to hate in a hipster-y fashion, and lots of the critics of the game seem to think its interactions are dwarf fortress adventure style "you hurt your left tendon and now have a -3% accuracy penalty with crossbows only", when it's actually not like that at all. The variety is variety in environment and story, and how the player interacts with it, not in random number stats.
This is awesome, please write about roguelikes all the time.

Nethack is brilliant. The parts of it that don't hold up so well are outshined by really cool parts everyone keeps coming back to. That whole "the devs thought of everything!" aspect was so critical to the game. Nethack strove to create something as flexible and real as what you'd get sitting around a tabletop, or playing the most detailed text adventures. The game was a pioneer, and while you can certainly argue that certain aspects of it aren't fun anymore, it's hard to outright call any of it bad. It was a product of its time.

icantfindaname posted:

Basically games like ToME and Dredmor feel sort of dead inside, even though they deliver that experience at a consistent level of quality, and the reason for this is that they don't have the same meaningful interactions between the player and the story and game world. I don't think it's an invalid approach to making a game, but I don't think they do it very well. I think Dungeon Crawl does the 'homogenous dungeon crawler' approach better, with a better balance between variety and consistency. I'm not impressed by Dredmor's sense of humor, and ToME feels like really boring lord of the rings fanfiction.

Brogue goes another direction entirely and throws out the lore, environmental variety and character building dress-up game and goes just for tactical depth, and it does it very very well IMO. You can focus on allies, stealth, environment manipulation, magic, or melee, and all of these work equally well and you aren't forced to choose any one beyond what you get as item drops.
If you can/want to run games on Windows, I encourage you try Dungeonmans if you haven't already. http://www.dungeonmans.com/?page_id=290 Not because it's going to be the answer to all your game desires, but rather the opposite. It's on the spectrum of roguelike style that you appear to not like, and I would benefit from the extra critical eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

victrix posted:

This is the same contest that doesn't even have links to the roguelikes in question. It's a pretty dumb page all around.
I remember late 2011, wondering if I'd ever see Dungeonmans through to the point where I could get it up there.

:dukedog:

My only regret is that I didn't think to name my game Dungeon Penetrator.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Corridor posted:

Does anyone have opinions on Delver?

I enjoy it! Not the deepest game right now but it's fun to run around and sword/arrow things apart. The player is a very simple entity and there's not a lot of choice, but hey it's early access.

Corridor posted:

Eldritch is not a very good game imo.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Somehow I'm not surprised since it looks like Peak Indie Garbage.

drat. Well Corridor what don't you like about it? I'll admit, it doesn't do it for me 100%. I've played it a few times, gotten about halfway through the second book, but I've yet to feel a burning desire to push all the way through. It feels a touch repetitive, if I had to label it.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

korora posted:

Hey, have the contest prizes gone out? I haven't received anything and just want to make sure it's not something wrong on my end. (I picked Dungeonmans and am super excited about it).

Hey Korora! The alpha isn't out yet but you're in, day 1. Email me, jim@dungeonmans.com, and I'll have you ready to go when the alpha happens, and I'll also give you the zircon albums that were in the $25 and up sweetener for the Kickstarter.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

SoTS: The Pit is on sale on Steam right now (5pm EST) for a buck forty, and will be so until 9pm.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

S.T.C.A. posted:

I'm not sure if ADOM changed, but I think there's also level caps on certain areas so if you go too high of a level, you can't get into the Pyramid I think. Which isn't really a huge deal unless you need some of the guaranteed items from it, but they're pretty common (aside from the artifacts).

Like, straight up your level is too high, you can't go in here? Seems kind of lovely when there are guaranteed drops to be had. I'm trying something similar in Dungeonmans, if you waste time in dungeons that are too far under your level you get no XP or drops. There's a warning too on the way in, you actually have to choose "I don't care, I'm going in!" People do it anyway, they'd rather clear three whole floors with zero reward to get to a 4th floor which is just under their level instead of taking 15 or so steps southeast and finding a dungeon that's on level. I guess that means I need to generate more dungeons so it feels like there's more options available.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Space Bat posted:

You guys weren't kidding when you were talking about One Way Heroics. What a fun, fun game. I've already beaten it as a knight and as an adventurer, and I'm loving it. The current Indie Royale is worth getting just for it.

One Way Heroics rules. Here's two keys! Just replace the numbers with A CAPITAL LETTER derived from the clues below.

pre:
7Rh(1)ruU8(2)lIB
1: The first letter of the Shapeless, god of slimes.
2: The third letter of she who's rear end is the best.

pre:
NTZy1v(1)(2)mLMJ
1: The first letter of the stat that gives you increased Perception, Will, Smithing and Song.
2: The second letter of the easily disturbed knickknack-craver.

According to the email from Playism, this is how you turn in your key: http://playism-games.com/

PLAYSIM posted:

Since this game is a gift, there’s no need to purchase anything; simply download and enjoy!
In order to download your game, please go to PLAYISM, login and add the game listed above to your shopping cart.
On the shopping cart page you can use the code from above to get the game for free!
Once you’ve got the game, you can access it via your downloads page, under the My Account section of the site.
If you don’t already have an account, you can make one here. It’s fast, simple, and won’t cost you a dime.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at: contact@playism-games.com

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

Ooh, thanks! Claimed the second one (Grace from Sil and the demented ratling from ADOM, I think).

Only one way to find out!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

I've already used the code, so they're probably right. :)
That is very interesting!

quote:

the demented ratling from ADOM, I think
Was not correct at all, so maybe you had a lucky typo?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Spacedad posted:

-What people think are the most graphically impressive roguelikes or roguelites

-What people think are the most beautiful/cool/good-looking art-wise roguelikes or roguelites

Err'body posted:

brougebrougebrougebrouge

The game's not out yet but I think Dungeonmans might be approaching Brogue levels of graphical fidelity.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Micr0chiP posted:

As anyone had any problems running dungeonmans ?
I have been playing for 2 days with no problem, but today when i tried starting the game it wont start and gives me an error feedback window.
I've tried re-installing the XNA thing and downloading the previous version of dungeonmans but it wont start.

I need my dungeonmans fix !

Anyone knows if the game saves anything outside of the game dir ? (maybe a corrupt save or something like that)

I think you're the guy who just posted on the Dungeonmans FB page. I also just got a crash recently where the error message was in Portuguese, maybe that was you? Either way, write to me jim@dungeonmans.com and I'll try and help you.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Bouchacha posted:

I'm not a fan of either. The original tileset is good from an illustration standpoint, but the amount of detail crammed into the tiles is absurd. You generally want "iconic" graphics that makes quick enemy differentiation feasible. Crawl's tileset is a perfect example of quick differentiation, it does this by using the same pose within a class of enemies but differentiates them with very distinct and contrasting palettes. See for example Crawl's orcs:

Versus some ToMe's orcs (there's about 4 times as many orc tiles as Crawl):

There's a great deal more detail in ToMe, but it hurts rather then helps the greater priority of easing identification. Almost none of the orcs have the same pose, and differentiating them requires a close look at details since the task is not facilitated by distinct colors or other contrasting features. ToMe also has what I think too many enemy types but that's another issue. The Oldrpg tileset probably helps with identification with its clear art style, but it looks childish as hell.

I think the silhouettes in the ToMe art really helps, the enemies are pretty clearly defined, no? I mean, quick, which one of those Crawl orcs has a bow? Which one is fast and probably gets two attacks in a round? That's what I was shooting for in the Dungeonmans orc set:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

drink_bleach posted:

So I probably never would have picked up One Way Heroics if not for the bundle. Man that really bums me out because this game is fantastic.

I hate for this to become an echo chamber, but if you haven't played this game yet you are doing yourself a disservice. It's just so good. I do think I need to move to a higher difficulty though.

OWH rules, let it echo through the halls forever. However, we are all gentlegoons and there's no doubt one of us will have a fine argument as to why they don't like OWH, and we will all ponder it meaningfully whilst stroking neckbeards.

Also, your SSS rank: why didn't it occur to me to just keep going after the demon lord shows up? The distance you could travel!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Geokinesis posted:

Is it seriously meant to be erotic? I mean could people not just go and read some sex stories rather than have it be part of a roguelike.

(L)ook at: Dirt Ground, Dirt Ground, Plain Red Shirt on Dirt Ground, Those Tits, Dirt Ground

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

I eagerly await Andrew's future posts in this thread defending the contest.

Which do you think he'll go with?
"Sex sells."
"The poll doesn't mean anything. It's just for fun."
or "Noxico deserved to win. If you really cared about your favorite roguelike you would have spoofed the poll harder than that."

Ideally, all of us RL developers will proudly add "Not As Good As Noxico!" to the back of our boxes.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Unormal posted:

Just putting together the skeleton of the thing. Got the tile-set split up into my sprite rendering engine, so the annoying part is all done.

Hey what are you using for 2D in Unity anyway? I tried a 3rd party 2D api and it would always create seams between tiles, it was super ugly. Of course, that was summer 2012. I was thinking of treating myself to a week of Oryx sprites + Unity come 7DRL next March.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Have you tried Sil? The stealth element and being able to escape the floor once you're being chased by something more powerful than you combined with the danger of being near stairs makes them much nicer than in Angband.

I played another game of Sil recently. After reading about how the game is about running/hiding from monsters instead of fighting them, I made as sneaky and perceive-y a mans as I could. I put some muscle into Smithing because that sounds cool, I like crafting. Even fired up the soundtrack to The Hobbit because I am all in. Stealth is gret and all but I couldn't help but beat up a conga line of wolves when I got them into a hallway, and hey wouldn't you know it I happen to have a wolf bane battle axe of some type. Great!

I'm not terribly far in at all, I did 50, 50, 100 and now I'm here at 150. There's been a lot of orcs and wolves. And also worms, but those are just *band staples, clearly not Tolkien canon. The point of this post (and my character dump) is me asking if I'm even doing this right. So far I don't feel like this is a lick different from any *band. Maybe deeper the monsters have different names and are harder. I found an anvil but couldn't do anything with it, I don't know any songs, and... yeah.

Anyway I'm not complaining, I just want to get the awesome Sil experience everyone else is having.

pre:
  [Sil 1.1.1 Character Dump]

Name   Lairyon       Age    2,206       Str   3
 Sex    Female        Height  5'10       Dex   4
 Race   Noldor        Weight   161       Con   4
 House  Feanor                           Gra   3

Game Turn    1,987   Melee   (+5,3d9)   Melee        5 =  4  +4  -3
 Exp Pool     2,227   Bows    (+6,0d0)   Archery      6 =  1  +4      +1
 Total Exp    7,227   Armor   [+7,3-7]   Evasion      7 =  4  +4  -1
 Burden        77.8                      Stealth      7 =  4  +4  -1
 Max Burden   172.8   Health     36:41   Perception   6 =  3  +3
 Depth         150'   Voice      34:34   Will         6 =  3  +3
 Min Depth     100'                      Smithing     7 =  3  +3      +1
 Light Radius     1                      Song         4 =  1  +3

[Equipment]

a) a Battle Axe of Doriath (-3,3d6) 4.4 lb
   It slays wolves and spiders.  It does extra damage when
   wielded with both hands.  
b) (nothing)
c) (nothing)
d) (nothing)
e) (nothing)
f) a Wooden Torch (with 1936 turns of light)
g) Leather Armour [-1,1d4]
h) a Cloak [+1]
i) (nothing)
j) a Helm [-1,1d2]
k) (nothing)
l) a Pair of Boots of Free Action [+0,1d1]
   It grants you freedom of movement.  
m) (nothing)
n) (nothing)

Inventory

a) 3 Fragments of Lembas
b) a Dark Green Herb
c) 2 Dark Blue Potions {heals?, tried}
d) 3 Wooden Torches (with 2000 turns of light)
e) a Wooden Torch (with 38 turns of light)
f) Leather Armour [-1,1d4]
g) Studded Leather [-2,1d6]
h) a Round Shield [+0,1d3]
i) a Curved Sword (-1,2d5) [+1] 4.0 lb
j) a Shortsword (+0,1d7) [+1] 1.2 lb
k) a Longsword (+0,2d5) [+1] 3.0 lb
l) a Spear (-1,1d9) 3.0 lb
   It can be thrown effectively (6 squares).  It does extra
   damage when wielded with both hands.  It counts as a type of
   polearm.  
m) a Shortbow (+0,1d7) 1.6 lb
   It can shoot arrows 12 squares (with your current strength).
n) 21 Arrows
   They can be shot by a bow.
o) a Finely wrapped present
   It cannot be harmed by the elements.  

Lairyon of the Noldor
Entered Angband on 28 Dec 2013

Turn     Depth    Note

1,352    150 ft    (Weaponsmith)

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

I imagine it'll be more entertaining to barter with Morgoth for his hat-bling if the present is unopened. I genuinely have no idea what the item inside is, I'm sure there's some flavor of comedy down the road waiting for me based on this.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

From the fertile fields of LD48, a roguelike draws near!

http://sheep.art.pl/Fujo

quote:

Fujo is a graphical roguelike game, in which you take control of a Japanese temple maiden who was kidnapped by monsters into a deep cave and has to fight her way out and defeat the boss of the monsters.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Unormal posted:

We're slowly getting better at scoping the games before we make them. In about 50 or 60 more games we'll have it all figured out, I'm sure. :D

Hah, here's to that.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

madjackmcmad, you probably should have included a link to the greenlight page in your last backer update.

I know, total silliness! I did do that in the post-updated edit, but that didn't make it out to anyone's inboxes. I also need to tidy up the Dungeonmans OP.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

This week (23 January) Humble is holding a sale on roguelikes!

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Why do we make video games? At the end of the day, it's about the Players. That feeling of cont--

dis astranagant posted:

Just be sure to give it all to anyone but the developers
:v:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Today I was visiting my friendly local game store, checking out the board games and new comics. There was a MTG tournament going on, so kids were spread out everywhere beating each other up with tapping and manas and the like. Overheard, one kid was telling his friend about Rogue Legacy:

Little Game Store Jit posted:

Yeah, it's a type of game called a "roguelike", it means you jump around a whole bunch and then the game throws a whole bunch of weird things at you.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Philthy posted:

Have any of the games taken then mechanic of when you die, some of your items are passed on to the next character? I think I'd love an Angband that does this, Family Tree Angband or something or other.

As mentioned, One Way Heroics does this and it's pretty cool.

Dungeonmans right now doesn't do item passing but that's planned as part of the Academy Armory. It does let you pass on some item ID info as well as stat upgrades.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

kalstrams posted:

Welp, this is what happens when I try to write fancy. :v:
Total lack was meant. Since I entered 26th floor I had to rely only on what my inventory had at that point.

He just gorges himself on bandages and antibiotics until he chokes to death. Roguelikes!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

A LOVELY LAD posted:

I didn't manage to finish my bakery roguelike last year so this year I might take a week off work to do something which I have already started planning. Is anyone else here planning on doing anything?
It's the same week as GDC this year and I already barely had time for that. drat drat drat. I've been sitting on an idea for months, it'll have to wait until dmans ships.

OtspIII posted:

Going down a bunch of dead end passages that you have no way of anticipating is really just game busywork--a mindless/skill-less activity that just bogs down gameplay.
It can be, or it can be FTL, where you are flipping cards off a deck for encounters that you have no way of anticipating but still everyone has a good time. What sucks about dead-ends is the travel time: going there, seeing nothing, and going back. Even if there's a fight, it's still surrounded by boring. Cut out the travel time and you just have encounter after encounter, even if one ends with "Turn back to page 42 and choose a different doorway"

Eschalon III is out
It's not an RL but it's full of things we love about them, surely some of you have played I and II, the last of the trilogy dropped today. http://www.gog.com/game/eschalon_book_iii I've been stoked for this one, but who ships a game on Valentine's Day?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

andrew smash posted:

Why New England? Admittedly I'm not from new England so I might be missing something but Bethesda Susa made me think Maryland which is definitely not New England.

Also the town is called Joppa, which is one of the main-ish road right down the street here in northern Batimore.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

brother-joseph posted:

Thanks guys, I'll definitely be downloading this tonight. ADOM was my first real roguelike but I've gotten so spoiled I can't play ASCII anymore.

*cough* Well there's always this little game here:
http://www.dungeonmans.com/?page_id=290
Preview version remains on the free and you can crush monsters all day. AND I could really use the feedback, the more players the better!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Yeah, it was Joppa and Bethesda being ingame that made me think it was Maryland. Until Unormal disabused me of that notion a few pages back, of course.

e: Also, since virtually all of my time spent on Joppa Rd is traveling to/from an awesome restaurant for Peruvian chicken, I get incredibly hungry most times I play CoQ.

Is it Pollo Grande near Loch Raven? I walk there for lunch sometimes.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Unormal posted:

Doesn't look like much, but big basic milestone with working dynamic fonts, clickable UI elements and stretchable '9-panel' bitmaps, all on the fancy new prototype 'sprog 2.0' engine, which has a fully automated content pipeline (texture->atlas->in-game object). No more manual atlas building for me!

That's huge, man does it ever feel good to get automated stuff working. UI too, I hate working on it, but it's nice when all the pieces fit and you have something reusable. Congratulations.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Unormal posted:

Yeah, UI is the worst! Good thing it's only 92% of making games!

Yeah but once you get past that the other 92% is easy! :rimshot:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Hempuli posted:

Well then!

I've been working on a kind of a long-term mini-project remaking an older game of mine; the original was made for a 48-hour game development competition in 2009 and was very crude in terms of both graphics and gameplay.

The remake is called CWOUN and it's basically a heavily Spelunky-inspired arcade-roguelike-like mish-mash where the player controls a lonesome digger who explores a large cave in search for riches. The game has only one, large level with the layout randomly generated but the basic goals and enemies staying the same. The ultimate goal of the game is to retrieve The Golden Crown from the depths of the cave system, although being an arcade-ish game in nature gathering a highscore is also very much a thing; there're even online highscore boards!

The game has been in development for about half a year, and I'm still working on it. I'm planning to patch in some things and tweaking certain parts - for example, the game's way way too difficult at the moment, having some pretty annoying enemies and no proper tutorial. Any and all suggestions are obviously more than welcome!

A screenshot or two:

If this tickled anyone's interest, here's the "official" download page: http://www.hempuli.com/blogblog/archives/971
(I've checked the file with Virustotal, it should be 100% clean!)

=====================================
I hope that didn't sound too self-absorbed or advertising. I can remove the text if needed.

Everybody who makes anything RL should be talking about it here, especially as we approach 7DRL which I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread is going to commit to wholeheartedly 1000%.

CWOUN stands for Cave With Out Uh Name, right? It does for me.

Nitpicky but the hardest thing for me to get around was the UI. Enter, space, z, x, c, I had to hit keys at random to get past the title screen. Then I saw the game was ASD driven and that made it a little easier. When I died, I just wanted to press enter or space repeatedly until I respawned. Do you have to enter a name to get past that part of the game over sequence? I couldn't select OK until I had at least one character in.

Being able to swap items onto your back was neat. Was a bit of a bummer that the first thing I'd find was a locked chest, maybe that can start appearing in the blue section?

The ghost really dampened my fun. I guess he's the food clock? He shows up really early and it means everything has to be a mad race, no staying in place or thinking too hard. I get that the Spelunky ghost does the same thing, but he's there to get you to finish the level, not forever haunt your rear end.

The game is visually and aurally attractive, everything made sense. The bear traps looked dangerous, but the first time I landed on one nothing happened. I thought it was a bug, because surely that's supposed to be spikes, right? I walked back and forth to make sure and yep-- dead. :D

I did like this:

You're goddamn right I'm holding nothing back, I go ham all day every day.

Fake Edit After Preview: What the gently caress you can kill the ghosts with your pickaxe? poo poo.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Thank you kindly! Hearing the news made GDC even better. I may have done a little dance.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Rapacity posted:

I've been playing Rogue's Tale for the past few days and really loving it. It just came out on Steam and only cost me £3.50 but there's a demo which is identical to the full game but restricts you to level 10 rather than 20.

Demo here: http://rogue.epixx.org/download.html

Rapacity you should rephrase your excellent post about the game in a format similar to the ones in the OP so the game can be linked up there.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Bitter Mushroom posted:

I've been thinking for a long while about expressing my love of roguelikes by making my own at some point when I've got my poo poo together. I've read several good discussions of roguelike mechanics in this thread, so maybe you can weigh in if you're interested.

The game would be set in early modern times, ie. muskets, swords, pikes etc. which would mean mostly more open areas than in a dungeon RL. The weapons would be deadly & ranged, capable of killing or crippling you in one hit (the combat in Unreal world and dwarf fortress is my inspiration). Because its so hard to survive an open field with a lot of guns aimed at you, the central mechanic would be Luck, a stat that keeps you alive until it runs out, or the player finds safety/cover. Basically a limited number of turns where your rear end isn't yet grass. The player could use superstitions, like rituals or lucky items to increase their survivability. Let me know how badly thought out you think this.

I've always liked the idea of a "hero field", the sort of thing that lets Han and Leia hold off 100 stormtroopers on Endor before Leia finally gets shot once. Knowing how much of this resource you have left is important for turn based decision making. Of course this resource only works against the little scrubby enemies who are supposed to fall to you in combat; when you meet an equal in the field, things are lethally dangerous for both of you.

Conceptually you can use Morale as a similar stat. Heroic morale lets you weather blow after blow, beaten but unbroken, until you're finally worn down by combat and someone gets a nasty hit in on you. See Boromir's last battle for an example.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

What's the difference between luck and hit points?

Mechanically very little, right? It's all in the presentation. You could say that one of the differences is that Luck means you don't take physical damage from hits that only ding your Luck, where as any blow that takes off Hit Points conceptually means you are cut, battered or bruised and therefore it's possible for you to be crit in the jibblies and take some sort of ongoing damage/debuff status.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

FTL is RNG Fuckery: The Game, yes. You can be proceeding along thinking you're doing well, and then bam, the next encounter is a fight with the perfect counter to whatever build you have and you can't run away. Complaining about this in the FTL community tends to get uncomprehending responses from people who like getting hosed by the RNG.

The annoying thing is that there's an excellent game buried in here, it's just that the current encounter balance is out of whack. Or was, when I played the game, anyway. I came to the conclusion that playing on Easy was too easy, and playing on Normal was bad for my blood pressure, so I quit.

Preach it brother. FTL drips with quality and coolness, but the core concept of just pulling cards off a deck one after another is kind of polarizing. It does fit the style of the game; when you make an emergency FTL jump you really don't know what sort of shitstorm you'll land in, so good luck! I don't find that fun for myself personally, but I'd never ever say that it's bad. FTL is great.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Notorious QIG posted:

We're still talking about FTL, yes? I think the game's randomness should be compared to Nethack: a good player can mitigate the randomness and win 90% of the time, while a bad or average player still struggles with the ways the RNG can gently caress you over.

Imagine you had an AI that, for any given roguelike, would always make the best possible decision on every turn. It doesn't have any extra information, but assume that for a given game it has full knowledge of whatever secrets and mechanics the game has. Every choice it makes is the best choice leading to the best possible future. This applies to real-time games as well, assume the AI has high enough dexterity to move / tap / shuffle at will.

How often should that AI win?

My knee jerk says 100%, but that's actually really difficult to accomplish unless the game is so undertuned that it doesn't provide a challenge. 100% means all games, including the ones where RNG is just totally out for blood. That said, having a situation which is 100% unbeatable is kinda lousy, especially if it shows up in the late-late game, when you've busted your rear end to get so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

While I just can't imagine that anyone here isn't feverishly subscribed to the Dungeonmans thread, I feel like I should mention it here anyway: Dungeonmans is in a new early access stage-- still Alpha, but access was opened to Beta backers because I didn't want to keep them waiting any longer.

Details and a whole mess of screens in the thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558729&pagenumber=17#post428292733

But I'll post a screen or two here just because.