Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorProf posted:

The real roguelikes for real roguelike enthusiasts are in a different tag.

Pacman, the original roguelike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Unormal posted:

Well, I would come beg for Sproggiwood Greenlight votes; but we started and ended the greenlight campaign while the forums were down!

Wow god drat I want to play this now.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Depressing Drawers posted:

Tossed a coin whether I would post this since the thread is on the first page, turns out the coin said I should post this trailer I uploaded for Illuminascii tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K51GG__Xn2Y

This kind of owns. You should definitely keep the thread updated about this.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Desideratus posted:

Just put it up on Steam Early Access already, so I can buy your stuff. Please let me give you money, Unormal!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
need to play CoQ with tiles
hnnggggh

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
by the way Ziggurat is on sale and it owns and if you dont like it then you dont like video games in my opinion

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im legitimately bad at roguelikes

ive never beaten a real one

#gamerconfessions

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bob NewSCART posted:

It's almost like much better and more detailed late Atari type style. Looks really unique and cool

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Geokinesis posted:

Darkest Dungeon ProTip: When the tutorial says '4 torches and 8 food should be enough' get way more or all your party will get stressed and hosed up.

I missed the backer phase of this, is it possible to buy in still or do I have to wait

edit

oh Feb 3, ok!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Roguelikes: I play with coq

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

madjackmcmad posted:

:jerkbag: I'm gonna take a minute to poo poo up this thread with why Roguelikes are so great, this thread rules, we all are rulers, and the game making and playing world needs more of us. Here's what Steam is rocking this weekend for their three bignutt weekend sales:

Grim Greymans in swirling coolsmoke (tm) or, you know, video games. Now don't get me wrong, I loved Skyrim and Mordor-- in fact Mordor was one of the few games in recent memory I actually played all the way through to the last end credit. Those games owned, both of them, and I will play every game you put in front of me about a mighty hero who can break bad upon wave after wave of loot-bearing bad guys. Of loving course.

But look at the wide and wild bullshit under that third sale. Again, for reference:

Don't like dungeons? Go play a game about submarines, or ninjas, or growing old in the snow, whatever. There's still a poo poo ton of games there with unique and flavorful mechanics, vibrant colors, new ideas, and the sort of "oh man, whoa" cool feeling that waited for you when you stumbled into a new arcade, or found some crazyass shareware game, or any of the other gem-discovering methods we used when we were falling for gaming regardless of how you got your fix.

This thread is best thread because you can show up one day and someone's talking about a tank simulator, or IVAN, or Elona, or FTL, or any number of wild ideas held together by the thin and oft-argued standard of "what is a roguelike", to me the answer will always be "a game that belongs in this thread", and I sit smugly upon my tautology.

Please keep finding, playing, jawing about, and making roguelikes.

Also, given the above, maybe I'm marketing Dungeonmans wrong.

this could also be construed as a post humblebragging about owning so many Roguelikes or even more sinister, trying to get someone to gift you a copy of Steam Marines :tinfoil:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Cogmind is taking the big Alpha plunge at last with a slick new trailer, and a spiffed up website that may or may not be buckling under the load of curious folks.

http://www.gridsagegames.com/cogmind/

It is going the premium paid Alpha route as a few other games have elected to dabble in, $30 and then various Better Deal packs that are aimed at folks looking to get multiple copies and such.

I hope for an excellent future for this project, and doubly so that all the engine improvements he's made for this will filter back in due time for X@COM RL and greatly expedite the road to crazy town for that project and the various mega mods and total conversions he's already got folks tinkering at Chaosforge-style.

holy poo poo im buying this

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
seriously, the tiles on caves of qud are so amazing

i love proselytizing something and hearts go everywhere :3

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also running around as a warrior who just shits out webs any time he is in trouble owns

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the mental mutations in qud seem really powerful if I could make it far, dude is just so frail

right now i basically proselytize a goat or something to tank hits while I attack people and run away if he dies

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Unormal posted:

Ok, looks like we've got July 15th penciled in as official Qud Early Access release date.

I have been playing this and its good and owns

I don't own tho

I die a lot

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pladdicus posted:

I disagree and feel you just want games earlier.

Less glib aside, you only ever get one release, a higher price point may combat this effect, s when it actually launches the lower price point is the sell.

Also 10 bux for a Roguelike sans tiles? Or has Qud changed since last I played?

I mean that's my cup of tea, but I sincerely doubt steam is ready for it.

Most glaringly it seems to posit these things are like sliders in opposition.

it has tiles in the Steam version

and the tiles are excellent, some of the best tiles I've seen in a roguelike

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Unormal posted:

[SteamQud July 5, 2015]
*Wardens now take their job more seriously
*The default action for meds is now get instead of apply when they are in a container other than the player's inventory
*Party members will now correctly defend each other
*Party leaders are now annoyed when you attack their followers
*Party members will no longer cause the party leader to aggro himself when they accidentally shoot each other
*Turrets now properly award XP to their owner
*Turrets are now aligned with the player's level for purposes of xp calculations
*Fixed an issue with faction encounter type ratios

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nutranurse posted:

So I already have the game since I snagged one of the keys when you were doing the beta. How could I go about giving y'all some hard earned cash moneies?

same you were cool enough to give me a beta key that I played the hell out of but I want to buy it if I can

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
young ivory is Cave of Qud's way of telling your rookie mental mutation guy making GBS threads on everything in sight that he is still very much mortal

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

COOL CORN posted:

I only had a few minutes to play last night, but I got the Red Rocks quest, went up to Red Rocks, got credit for finding it, then got swarmed by baboons and died.

A great game.

attack a horse

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea, someone with high ego can basically straight up buy all the bandages the guy sells but they don't do you any good, if like me, you aren't paying attention to stuff

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Belding posted:

It's also my rap name.

good post

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I was wrecking stuff real great with an electobow I found in a box but then I walked into a jilted lover like a moron and died instead of shooting it.

are you literally me

also since i got a key from the devs a while back i had to give them money so i bought for a friend :3:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Unormal posted:

I'm really a big proponent of accessibility, even though I don't always do everything I want to for it due to pure lack of hours, I try to think deeply about it in my designs, so no fear! (Also since the game was designed without sound, it'll probably just be flavor, not really gameplay integrated)

QQ.txt: http://steamcommunity.com/app/333640/discussions/0/541906348045336852/

'i play a lot of roguelikes and am bad at them, please make me feel better by agreeing with my implication that im dying so much because of the simple mechanics :jerkbag:'

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if you are on a screen and you cant 100% tell whats going on

press loving Alt

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also you are probably going to have a spare waterskin or whatever, fill up with some salty water in the event that you are on fire

thats also the only way I've found to survive really early on with the spontatneous combustion perk

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
killed a randboss bear with tons of cider and honey :getin:

i basically just cheesed him with freezing hands

freezing hands, back up a couple, charge him, run away like a coward, rinse and repeat

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

Freezing hands is good like that. I'd say it, carapace and amphibious are the reasons why I'll probably never actually take esper.

also owns because you can basically kill equimaxes safely at a low level gaining levels really quick

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol at people who read games journalism sites

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Desideratus posted:

Found a nice typo, seems to effect all right front legs (I hacked off like 4 of them), and also why on earth do amoebas have legs, anyways

Also I dunno if its a bug or just a, uh, "unintended feature" but turret bodyparts are very much edible.

owns

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i have caves of qud on Steam and I finally got around to buying Sproggiwood since I got a new phone

game owns

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Roctavian posted:

When I stop playing Qud, it will probably be because of "walk to closest house, stop by Mehmet on the way to the next house (or maybe skip him on this walk), oops take two steps back forgot to close a door, now walk to the next house (make sure to talk to Mehmet this time or I'll forget until I'm like, level 5), close the door while I'm standing on it while going into Tam's house for least buttonpresses, open the chest, sell items (no wait, equip things first, then sell the other poo poo) walk to Argyve and give him some freeze grenades or whatever, go downstairs, die immediately to a faction leader with Sunder Mind, refuse to create a new character right now and uninstall forever"

my solution to that is that i dont loot the houses

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Owns

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
would own

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that would be a great deal if my wife and I both didnt own a Steam & Android copy

rip

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wow I played a single life in rogue!!!!!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im going to be honest guys I've literally never been a roguelike ever

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Silver Snail posted:

For the cooking roguelike, you could have it set in a fairly normal kitchen/restaurant setting, but have a layer of abstraction to it. The parts where you control your chef are all normal kitchen management simulation type things, choosing ingredients, taking orders, things like that. But then the cooking part of the game becomes the more rouge-like section. Your skillet becomes a battle arena and your cooking utensil is your @. The type of dish you're making and the ingredients you choose determine what kind of enemies you fight, and using spices can be like helpful skills, or enemy buffing difficulty modifiers that improve the quality of the finished meal. Soften up that beef with some tenderizer powder, or use some cayenne to give that omelette some pep, but look out because now your spatula is getting shot to poo poo by +2 fireballs.

why is this literally not a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I'm going to data-mine Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management to get recipes and NPC data for this.

Here's the book, it's ridiculous: http://mrsbeeton.com

This is going to be the final boss:

best of luck to you on this endeavor