Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
I'm looking for a new turn based roguelike for the Switch after I've beaten Tangledeep, and both Shiren and Crown Trick caught my eye. Would people recommend one over the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Snake Maze posted:

Shiren has, without exaggerating, probably an order of magnitude more content. I played Crown Trick for 15 hours and finished everything except grinding out metaprogression currency for more stats. I’ve played Shiren for 65 hours and I’ve still barely scratched the surface.

Okay, sweet, thanks a bunch. I was learning towards Crown Trick but I think I'm going with Shiren now.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Literally was about five seconds away from beating ROR2 when the timer ran out. gently caress. If I'd known about the chuck yourself off a platform to respawn on it even though you can't get up there trick I would've made it. The game is pretty fun but man is it stressful to play.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
is dungeonmans as straight forward of a game as it seems?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Jeza posted:

Yeah, more or less.

sick. i just finished tangledeep and looking for more same but different.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i wish darkest dungeon had extra radiant difficulty or something. important losses, even on radiant, take way too long to replace. and the game rewards preparation so much that you either look stuff up to make sure your guys don't die to unexpected bs, or you take the losses and accept spending x amount of hours grinding up new heroes. really makes the game a drag imo.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i don't mind permanent losses at all usually, but DD is so stingy. if it auto-upgraded your characters' weapons and skills to the highest upgraded levels and gave you way more high level recruits i think i'd really love it. as it is now i either play extremely conservatively and ruin the game, look things up before and ruin the game, savescum and ruin the game, or i lose two characters to that nasty crocodile in the courtyard and spend a bunch of time retraining new ones, outfitting them, buying skills, etc. and ruin the game because that's gonna happen a lot.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mr. Locke posted:

I dunno. People are super-replacable in DD as long as you've been keeping up on Stagecoach upgrades. Hell, town upgrades in general are way more important then people- Darkest Dungeon drives home early that your least important and most replaceable resource are adventurers and once that clicked I've never really felt too mussed about some rank 5 or 6 dying to a blunder or something I didn't plan for unless they were, specifically, built up for a team about to go into the Darkest Dungeon itself due to the mechanics of going into and surviving after that dungeon specifically, and even then a few runs would usually spot me another cantidate.

People aren't precious, you don't need four gods to make dungeons runnable flawlessly, you just need four goons with strong enough backs to get out of the dungeon with my precious heirlooms. The very way the game works tells you not to get too used to a small team of favorites as part of a dungeon strike force- you can't ride them to the end if you wanted to- but to maintain a decently-sized roster of dudes who'll do well enough when called upon. If they need to spend the next month drinking away the trauma of that trip while their fourth member gets sent out into the woods never to be seen again because she's ranting about unseen horrors that costse way too much gold to fix, that's fine. There's more where that came from.

i didn't play optimally or anything close to it but i found that between (re)levelling, diseases, sanity, quirks, weapons, skills, town upgrades etc. it wasn't an enjoyable game to take losses in. and this was on the difficulty with the least grind.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
has anyone tried star renegades on switch since they allegedly fixed it? i can't find any info on whether or not it actually works now. and i've been burned twice by switch ports so i'm hesitant.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Play posted:

Ah, okay, maybe it's kind of designed that way, to not be too challenging. I didn't even know that there was NG+ so I'll just look at it like I beat the first level and now need to try the second level.

i beat NG and NG+ on my first two runs but I'm at NG+2 now and it's kicking my rear end.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Funktor posted:

I've finally gotten around to One Step From Eden. This game is very much my jam, but I am also very bad at it. I have yet to get past world 3. Any tips? Especially where it concerns things like routing, how to build a deck, etc?

It seems to me that deck cohesion depends on keeping small size and having useful artifacts, but that seems quite difficult with the rapidly scaling difficulty and the scarcity of upgrades and removes. Thoughts?

play really defensively until you get a decent grasp of enemy patterns, particularly bosses. once you can reliably mitigate most of their damage you're good. at base difficulty all builds are viable and you probably don't even need to go phalanx, though it will make the game way easier if you do.

i played it up to hell 13 before the last big patch dropped so i don't know how much has changed, but flow and broken glimmer/kinesys spells were the two most reliable builds that worked for every character.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
there's branches, special levels, and store rooms. branches are alternate ways up and i think they're marked blue on the minimap? special levels are marked purple and don't count as a floor, usually they have very good loot in them. store rooms let you go in and out. those are uhh light blue? i can't remember. check the terminals for recon and messages to get a vague idea of where good and desirable loot is.

i've had two runs in a row end to archmedusas now but i think i've worked out vaguely how to deal with them. i'm ten runs in and getting further and further every time, which is nice.

e: specific branches have specific uniques? that's cool.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i got my first win in JH today, shotgun marine. i found the elephant gun with a second chamber early and it carried me through the whole run, and in IO i found the BFG (absurd), the firecrown (good? couldn't tell ) and kerberos's jaw (+50% damage, enemies which you annihilate in one shot periodically spawn in, completely insane). killed the last boss on my second or third smoke grenade.

then i did a gun kata scout run and found the black death relic that causes every bio enemy you damage to take constantly doubling poison. but you start every level on 20% health and healing only does half. i had the chance to dump it for kerberos's jaw and i should have done it, since dante has way too many robots and my weapons kinda sucked. died to a robot. rip.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Insert name here posted:

Nuked my so far best run ever in JH literally right after grabbing the BFG in CRI Armory in what I assume is a scripted ambush after grabbing the BFG since I had already cleared the level of enemies earlier. Didn't even get to fire the damned thing because I panicked like an idiot and tried to shotgun my way out of it. It was going so well too because I went Army of Darkness and found an amp that reloaded my shotgun with movement. :negative:

Anyway game good. Does anyone know what the Frozen Heart does?

you can use the frozen heart at the final level of shadow halls to choose between three rewards. i don't think any of them are worth the price you have to pay for them but i'm also not very good at the game.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
wizard/hack technician on medium was a very easy win. i imagine it'll probably get worse in higher difficulties because you won't achieve critical mass of bodies and guns as easily but after callisto you're basically starting every level with three robots, power is abundant if you build for it, and if you save stimpacks you can drown the boss in summons and hide. my weapons were pretty bad and i had no weapon skills but it didn't really matter.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
jh on switch :mrapig:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

SettingSun posted:

Everyone is really selling me on Jupiter Hell right now but I'm eyeing today's release of the Monster Train Switch port.

honestly you can probably play the two hour demo* on steam and it'll be pretty immediately apparent if you like it or not. i ended up spending like four hours on it until i looked up and realised the refund window was over.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

tentacles posted:

Re Jupiter Hell: Love the game but demon spawns are completely borked. I've cleared areas and moved on only for fiends or reavers to spawn right behind me in the just-cleared areas, usually timed to coincide with incoming mobs from the front.

unless there's a hell portal on the floor somewhere (visible through fog of war) and a very obvious noise they're not spawning in.

i got my first win on hard - elephant gun and BFG, same exact loadout i got my first win on medium with lol. army of darkness rocks. concussion is a very good early game carry.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Zeerust posted:

What's a good way of building an Army of Darkness Marine? The way shotguns work and the fact you need the Furious perk, I can see a mobile Hellrunner / Running build where you just aggressively rush down enemies, but I've not had much success with that. Is it better to just go for maximum toughness and slug it out with Ironman / Cover Master etc.?

it depends on whether or not you can get reload on move on an amp, but to be honest you should never be rushing down enemies. reload on move just means you can shoot > move out of line of sight or range / into cover > shoot more effectively. up until you get AoD to max level you'll need a secondary longer range weapon, a rocket launcher or an assault rifle with +optimal range, that kind of stuff.

enemies come straight towards you and you should always be abusing that to the max by breaking line of sight to set up situations where they walk into your line of fire or where you have cover and they don't. especially with shotguns since the range sucks until AoD comes into full effect.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 21, 2021

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i died like 25 times in a row on medium but once i got my first win they started getting more frequent. i think the relative simplicity of the game has something to do with it, there's some general principles to the combat (line of sight, hunkering, aiming, when to leg it, etc.) that reduce rng, keep you safe and let you make the kind of decisions that win you the game.

though i'm still only up to hard, got a marine win and then angel of carnage win (with like 5hp and two rockets to spare, after spending all my teleports on getting the gently caress away from exalted warlocks and medusas on dante 3). i'm sure uv is another kettle of fish altogether, the aiming bonus for enemies will probably kill me a lot.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
You also end up with something like 3-4 resurrections, a giant health pool, and all kinds of stuff that kind of trivialises the difficulty. I played it on a tiny rear end Switch Lite screen and towards the last hour(s) I'd just run through everything and there was no way any enemies could do enough damage to stop me.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
ziggurat 2 is pretty drat fun. it feels a lot less jank and bare than the first one.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Dropbear posted:

How impactful do the guns feel in it? The first one didn't click with me because the wands etc. all felt really weak and wimpy; not necessarily in the DPS-sense, more in the "Doom's super shotgun just feels good and powerful"-way.

they're all right - some of them feel really nice to use and some feel a bit poo poo, but in general way way better than the first one.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Demon_Corsair posted:

That is my biggest issue with the game as well. You have 3 floors, but the way draw mechanics work you generally don't want more then 2-3 units. Unless you are doing some sort of gimmick build you are generally just playing on the top floor.

And damage scaling seems to be almost entirely based on getting multistrike on at least one guy or you are very unlikely to be able to scale enough to kill the beefcakes in the later fights.

how far did you get into it? i can't imagine just playing on the top floor works past a certain covenant.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Demon_Corsair posted:

I think I'm at covenant 14 or 15 right now.

I find if you are trying to play multiple floors you risk getting units in the wrong order and then suddenly half your units are dead because you didn't get that tank you needed.

i haven't played it in a long time but i usually had two floors, middle plus one more depending on build and draw, usually top because bottom is hard to defend. unless you nail a really insane combo you can't deal with what the game throws at you on just one floor. positioning the units is a part of the game and it's something you get better at. towards the end of my time with it i could fairly reliably nail covenant 25 for the different combos of clans. caveat: i played nearly 70 hours of it.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Count Uvula posted:

Yes: There'll be more updates for a while, in the vain of the recent metal one. He doesn't really plan out anything more than just the immediate update he's working on and was blindsided after putting Rift Wizard up for sale by a bunch of players expecting development roadmaps.

we've somehow gone from indie games in EA with roadmaps > £50 AAA games in EA with roadmaps > every game must have a roadmap even if it's finished. anyway rift wizard rocks but boy am i bad at it.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
the meta progression wasn't bad in dead cells tbh, the issue i had with it is that playing it at its most fun (high speed, lots of attacking and rolling) was only viable up to like NG++ at which point shields and patience seemed the only way for me not to die of attrition since healing was so hard to come by and enemy damage wrecks you. this is way before all the patches though, would be nice if they changed it up since it's a really sick game at its core.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Jack Trades posted:

I liked the presentation and the combat itself in Hades but everything else, specifically the game is structured, is loving miserable.
If it was like 5 years ago then I wouldn't care that much but the genre has been so saturated with these games trying to waste your time, I'm loving sick and tired of it personally.

Of the games I've played recently, Jupiter Hell has the best metaprogression.

you should try wizard of legend, it's like hades with a lower budget and no story, and it's a lot harder imo. the metaprogression comes in the form of unlocking the multitude of different spells the game has on offer. and you can get new wizard robes & hat with (seemingly) small bonuses.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Jedit posted:

Hades is a series of awful design decisions piled on top of each other which is liked because people love to fellate the developer. I checked out fast enough to get a refund when I saw that it had isometric level design but absolute directional controls.

im fellating the developer rn op

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Kvlt! posted:

I liked the Dicey Dungeons gameplay but the art style makes it look like a facebook post about mental health or the animations from those sexual harassment videos companies/colleges make you click through when you start

lol

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

BrianRx posted:

6 years after release, I'm getting around to playing Nuclear Throne because it somehow found its way into my Epic library. I passed on this whole genre/period of roguelites because i didn't care for Binding of Isaac (the guns just suuuucked, at least at the beginning) and figured they were all riffs on the same tune.

I dig the fast pace and short run times of Nuclear Throne. Character unlocks seem to come reasonably quickly and they're varied enough that they warrant different play styles. The weapons are fun and are also different enough to matter. I think I remember people being a little down on it (maybe it gets samey?) but I'm enjoying it a couple hours in.

Is there anything else from the action-roguelike genre (particularly from a few years ago) that I should spend some time with? I've been really resistant to side-scrollers because I feel like I got my fill of them in the cartridge-console days, but I'm realizing I may be missing a chunk of great games. The run-based nature of this genre is pretty perfect for me at this time in my life due to being able to the gameplay quickly to make the most of my more limited free-time.

one step from eden, it's like mega man battle network crossed with slay the spire, like ten different characters and one thousand different spells and passives which dramatically alter your build. a successful run takes like 40 mins? but it's a really difficult game and it takes a long time to get good at it, if that's an obstacle.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

nrook posted:

OSFE is very clearly an amateur’s first real game. The story is told in very broad strokes, the spritework is clumsy, the flavor text on cards is terrible. But even so, the core gameplay is excellent, as is the music, so I’d still highly recommend it. And it’s nice to play something rough every once in awhile.

yeah it's very clearly a one man project, the dev went back and changed the flavour text and dialogues to be less horribly cringe, changed some sprites to look better, beefed up some of the bosses, and added a load of new cards and artefacts. and the story is told more by implication than directly but i kinda like that.

it really is a ridiculously fast game, with a skill ceiling somewhere on Pluto, which i can imagine puts a lot of people off. i think it took me like 25 hours to get my first win and maybe 60 hours to beat the secret final boss? and then another 60 hours to get through (most of) the ascension modifiers. it's way too fast to react to a lot of the attacks so you really, really have to learn enemy attack patterns and how to deal with them, you also have to know how to either build a deck that you can just button mash through because it all hits at roughly the same range, or get very good at making split second decisions based on which two spells are up in the rotation.

on lower ascensions you can pretty easily build a deck with enough shield spells that you become functionally invincible after the first five/ten seconds of the fight. on higher ones you just get melted instantly and have to figure out something else.

some of the builds end up coalescing into something really cool. like the kunai (0 mana, consumed on use, low damage spell) class, with an artefact that makes throwing a kunai spawn another kunai in your deck, and an artefact that gives all your spells a little bit of poison, and an artefact that freezes time for a few seconds when you get to 200hp, and a bunch of other stuff, so you end up pruning your deck to just be shields, healing and kunai generators and the final boss fight is 5 minutes of super tense combat before you hit 200hp, time freezes, and you've got like 200 kunai spells that you spam at the boss in those few seconds and then just run away until the poison ticks start dealing thousands of damage and you win.

nothing else like it though. easily my favourite action roguelike. worth trying to see if it sticks to you.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

megane posted:

My biggest complaint about OSFE (and the reason I dropped it very quickly) is that “the floor flashes” is used as an indicator for… almost literally everything. Simultaneously. The floor flashed! Does that mean:
  • Don’t stand there,
  • Definitely DO stand there,
  • Stand there for a specific period of time, then leave,
  • Leave for a specific period of time, then stand on it,
  • Don’t stand there or anywhere adjacent to it,
  • Something else entirely?
You have 0.1 seconds to guess which, have you picked yet? Whoops, trick question, it’s several of those things at once, because all enemies have independent overlapping attack patterns and the square was actually flashing in like 3 different ways, you die.

floor flashing means don't stand there 99% of the time unless it's the boss with the specific gimmick to make you dance so you have to follow the green flashing floors, or it's one of your own beneficial effects coming down on your side. i think, it's been a while since i played it.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I made it all the way up to the weird colour-coded loving insane difficulty modifiers that render the game functionally impossible, and then decided enough was enough. It's not a game you're really meant to 100%. You play until it stops being fun, and then you play something else. As games are meant to be!

Killing the shopkeeper was so loving difficult, jesus christ. And the secret boss really doesn't gently caress around, either.

yeah it's brutal, i made it to ascension 11 out of 14, which makes all of the hostages turn into enemies that shoot poison syringes and don't give any healing or items, that was my limit :negative:

replaying it recently on PC, i looped my first run and then absolutely annihilated the first few ascension levels though. it's definitely a game you can consistently beat (which you'd hope after playing it for 120 hours lol)

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Angry Diplomat posted:

Haha yeah that's a pretty cruel change. The next level makes everything in shops cost more, and I somehow beat that one, too. Then 13 makes every boss be max tier, which is just a massive brick wall for anyone who isn't some kind of inhuman speedrun machine, and I decided to gracefully admit defeat.

oh gently caress, i did actually get past it, because that was the exact moment that i bailed too, could not survive the early game attrition when every boss does every single one of their tricks with truckloads of damage. i thought the hostages came after the max level bosses but must have been the other way around.

Chin Strap posted:

Is OSFE on Switch stable and good?

yeah, i had like two crashes across 120 hours. it runs fine up until you loop at which point the game becomes unplayable, but also looping in OSFE isn't that important.

megane posted:

That'd be fine if it was just one kind of thing happening at once. The problem is that you have 16 squares to worry about and at any given time between 50 and 100% of them will be flashing in various colors and rhythms and you need to not only know that they're flashing, not only what that particular flash means, but for many of them you have to remember how long it's been flashing. As in, you can't just never step on flashing squares - sometimes the only safe place to stand is a square that is flashing, but has enough time before the actual attack comes down that you can stand on it in order to avoid the attack that's hitting the next flashing square over and which will come down slightly earlier. I distinctly remember a particular attack where the square flashes, you have to stand on it on purpose when the "attack" connects to bounce the projectile into the air (???), and then you have to leave because the attack comes back down and hurts you if you're still standing there. Imagine like 8 copies of that attack happening at once at different places on the board at slightly offset times, while also three other enemies are doing other attacks that also cause squares to flash and some of those attacks affect the same squares where the bouncy things are.

i think you're misremembering something because that doesn't sound like something that happens in the game at all.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Grey Face posted:

I've had my fill of SNRKX, anything else out there that scratches the roguelike autochess itch? I tried astronarch but it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

you may already have played it but i thought vampire survivors scratched a really similar itch to snrkx

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
god bless all these japanese player who keep rezzing me within an hour of begging for it in shiren. truly the uncaped heroes of roguelikes.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

beer gas canister posted:

it's encouraging that it never takes more than a day to get picked up. hope they do another someday

just beat the story mode which was a real rush, had the terror sweats for a bit when the dragons rained down. i never beat the DS game so my inner teenager is fist pumping/crying at finally managing to beat the next best thing. the final boss was a doozy, i like shiren's way of discouraging direct combat in favour of grassing yourself up and loving with your enemies. feels like you have 500 options at every turn, some of those turns took me deep into the think tank. dope game. blessings to the japanese players still doing rescues.

i know there's like 500 hours more content and i'm excited for it.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Jack Trades posted:

I found the deckbuilding aspect of that game to be very unsatisfying.
The game seems to be mostly focused around dodging enemy patters and then mashing one button to attack and most of the "deckbuilding" is just you trying to get a few synergistic cards while removing everything else.

that's not really the case, it's a very skill-intensive game with how fast it is but the strength of your deck makes a massive difference, to the point that you can build decks on the base difficulty that require 0 skill to pilot and barely need you to dodge, regardless of what character you play.

nearly every character needs to build their deck as their main offense, a few characters have strong attack buttons but those generally take a lot of work to set up (e.g. one does half the damage of your current money, one has a weapon that restores mana on hit [to cast more spells]) and need to be supplemented by a strong deck, either for DPS, control, or defense, or probably a mix of all three, also depending on what artefacts you get on a particular run.

if you're a character with a good weapon you want a big fat deck anyway, every uhh 5 spells i think? increases your mana regen by +0.1/s and the weapons use mana. but most of the characters just have a utility weapon that won't get you far without a good deck.

it's a pretty deep game and it's a lot of fun to experiment in.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
that is definitely true but most deckbuilding games seem to end up in optimisation hell when you start scraping the ceiling of the difficulty, though i guess eden is a bit more egregious about it since it's harder and faster than most roguelites/likes and the hell passes gradually peel away every bit of shelter until it's a tornado of death coming at you the whole run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Your Computer posted:

i did give the pokemon mystery dungeon a try when it came out but it just felt very pointless to me. like i know it's a game for babies kids but you had one button to auto-explore and one button to fight which auto-picked your abilities and everything for you so it was kinda just pressing two buttons and seeing the pokémon run around. the maps in every mystery dungeon i've tried also feel really barren? maybe i just haven't gotten to the good stuff but it feels like all of them are just generic cave

shiren is a really galaxy brained game with like 100 possible options at every single critical juncture