Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:
When I was a kid, I really liked this game called "Quest" or "The Quest" or something similar. Thinking back, I'm pretty sure it was a fairly softcore roguelike. It had a somewhat dated tileset. I remember you could play as a fighter class, a magic user, or the "monk" which did both.

Anyone here know what I'm talking about? I'd like to check it out. (though it will probably turn out to be terrible, that's how these things always go)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

Not to totally derail your post and prove how new to roguelikes I am, but what tiles are those and where do I get them??? I can't seem to Google them, but I would get back into ADOM if it looked that awesome.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

Thanks guys, I'll definitely be downloading this tonight. ADOM was my first real roguelike but I've gotten so spoiled I can't play ASCII anymore.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

Depressing Drawers posted:

The current pre-alpha release is still available on IndieDB, however it's not really representative of the game anymore - Out of a misplaced sense of community however here's a goon alpha release for you guys;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jvtesvkiy76dr84/Illuminascii_PC.zip

In the best roguelike tradition you WILL need to read the readme included, I guarantee. The game is still in alpha so it is unfinished with bugs a plenty and it is unoptimised as all gently caress but the base gameplay is there.

Best place to watch for updates is either me on twitter (@depdrawers) or on the tumblr http://depressingdrawers.tumblr.com

Sweet, I'll be checking this out. Looks interesting.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

Tollymain posted:

what's the current consensus on dungeon of the endless?

In my opinion, it SEEMS really great at first. The problem the game has is that it very quickly ends up having a lot going on at once all the time, so you find yourself constantly pausing and micromanaging fifteen different things at once. Because of this, you end up covering small amounts of ground fairly slowly which makes the game drag a lot and seem way too long.

If there were less going on and less rooms/characters to manage, it could be a ton of fun.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

edit: I will shut up now. Apparently I need to learn more about Dungeon of the Endless before I start talking poo poo and I've been doing it wrong. Huh.

Anyway it's totally worth giving a shot regardless. The art style and music are kinda neat if a bit overdone these days, and the character/party system is interesting.

edit 2: Here is a good write-up on the game for anyone that wants to learn everything there is to know about the basics. It really is different than anything else I've ever played.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=203411482

brother-joseph fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 10, 2014

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

Cuntpunch posted:

It happens a lot because of the weird pseudo-turns the game uses. The gameflow is easy though:

-Open Door(start turn)
-Something is behind door(good/bad/whatever)
-A wave of enemies will spawn from any unseen rooms(unpowered AND without a hero in them)
-Turn Ends when there are no hostiles alive - this will include healing all your heroes.

But if you don't understand the 'Door = turn' it's easy to assume that there's a timer running like in most tower defense games combined with how the hero movement is all real-time, and then start opening doors as fast as possible, which will get overwhelming pretty quickly.

I played a few more games of Dungeon of the Endless last night. In retrospect, I think I eventually HAD discovered the door timer mechanics before and just shitposted before I'd had my coffee. Either way I had still put down the game for a while until last night and you were right about my shenanigans. This time, I really put effort into:

- Only opening doors in a straight line from the base whenever possible, avoiding having to defend multiple paths
- Using one character to scout new doors and race back to the choke points when bad guys show up (Samus is awesome for this)
- Knowing when it is OK to give up on a floor and just take the exit. Having 3 or even 4 doors open in the crystal room can be a nightmare, so I try to leave before opening the 3rd if possible.

Doing a lot better this time. I still haven't cleared floor 11 but I did unlock 4 or so characters last night and I think I have a good feel for the game now. Honestly it's a pretty neat game, and it really is a unique experience imo.

Have any other tips? How far have you gotten?

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

Cuntpunch posted:

That sums up about how far I've gotten, there's a lot of randomness to the game that adds up floor-after-floor and can take a while to get critical.

There are a few other (maybe?) not so obvious gotcha tactical decisions that hide in plain sight, especially on the later floors:

-Team composition: Recently I've had the most success with 2 Operators and 2 Fighters. Leave the Operators in good chokepoints working a Major, use 1 fighter to 'light up' a dark room, and use 1 to open the next door. If you still have incoming, just fall back to the best chokepoint possible.

Those are all good tips and things I have kinda been teaching myself since I've put in a few hours in the last couple days. What do you mean by "light up" a dark room? Will enemies not spawn in rooms that you have dudes in?

I'm having the same thoughts on team comp. I really like having 2 operators, 1 dedicated dps fighter/tank, and 1 fast "scout" fighter. I have only actually seen one or two scout type characters so far and they do seem to die quickly, but they can haul serious rear end if a choke point is in danger or you need to move the crystal without much dust to power rooms.

Have you figured out the deal with the "danger" spawn points? I've seen them in later levels. Seems like those enemies never leave their spawn room and that they're supposed to be little minibosses but they are not very tough at all.

I'm on a run right now where I'm halfway through floor 10 and things are looking good. 3 of my dudes are lvl 15 and the last is 14. Turns out 15 is the level cap.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

I picked up Dungeon of the Endless and it's pretty darn hard. I think I got most of the mechanics down but I can't figure out how to manually power or unpower rooms to control spawns. I also keep trying to err on the side of caution and stockpile as much poo poo as possible so I'm usually swimming in industry and just spending all my food on levels and new heroes.

So far I've been playing with the robot guy who gets operator at level 3 which seems really good and the fast lady with a sword. Any other combo's that are good? I'd like to get a competent strategy together so I can get further than level 3 on easy.

Manually controlling power like that is super important. I never really figured it out for a while but dust is possibly THE most important resource you can collect since it allows you to control the flow of enemies.

The fast one (not "Samus Aran") is pretty great for scouting out new rooms and moving the crystal, and I think one of your starting dudes should always be an operator like the robot. That is a good combo. Honestly once you have a Wits character who can repair and operate, the other starting character is personal preference. I try to acquire a meaty fighter, a fast fighter, and two operators when I fill out my party but as always you're at the mercy of the game.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

if you can point at a game, then point at Rogue and say "these are alike" it's a roguelike.

Games like FTL not fitting comfortably into that is more a sign that we should have moved past this awkward, clunky term(like how no one calls FPS games Doom-likes anymore) than anything else so that we would have something we could reasonably call those games

I am in favor of sticking with PDL because it's easy to say and Procedural Death Labyrinth is the greatest name for any genre in anything.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

Pladdicus posted:

FTL is my favorite procedural death labyrinth

Mine too. Labyrinth can mean whatever you want it to, really.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

LotsBread posted:

please someone gift me deadnauts please it looks so awesome oh god its done right yes its from those assholes that made zafehouse diaries but holy crap it looks awesome i want to space marine all night loooong

http://deadnaut.com/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/11/deadnaut-pc-game/

This looks very interesting. Has anyone played this or Zafehouse Diaries? I had never heard of either one today which makes me too nervous to impulse buy either one.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

Angrymog posted:

Probably a bit late with this reply, but Deadnauts is very interesting. You can either take a random team or make your own. A campaign consists of clearing 4 ships - as long as one dude survives and gets out you'll be able to clone some of the rest. So far the best I've managed is clearing one ship, then got cocky on the next one and had a TPK due to an unstable room.

It's real time and you're watching and directing the action through a industrial looking control panel, which often has a flaky data feed due to the interferance from the security of the ship you're trying to pillage.

I'm going to be honest - I tried the demo and couldn't figure out how to do anything. I started in a room with two icons - one that said Investigate and then one Unlock in front of a door. After about a minute I gave up since I couldn't get how the hell I was supposed to have my team interact with those. Am I a gigantic idiot or is this not very intuitive?

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Do you mean the technical demo? Because I don't see any demos on Steam, and btw they removed the links to the tech demo for being way out of date so that may also be your problem.

I would swear I tried left clicking a million times but I still wouldn't rule out user error or the demo being bugged. I got it from the "try the demo" Windows link -
http://deadnaut.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

Edwhirl posted:

Playing Dungeon of the Endless, for the first time.

Sara and Gork don't like eachother very much. Kind of BS you can lose a character inbetween floors that way, but I suppose I can just avoid that in the future...

Holy snot. No idea this could even happen. Maybe it's new? I haven't played TOO much of the game since the official release (when they added in those elevator scenes), but I would be surprised if I hadn't had that scenario come up and nothing bad ever happened. Sounds like kind of a crap gameplay mechanic, but I haven't actually seen it in action so maybe I shouldn't talk poo poo.