Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Everyone knows KS are not preorders, but that's still lovely of a developer to just go 'gently caress it'. Especially not having some big problem but just decide that making games is no fun. At least release the source and assets to the backers.

Though I personally don't ever back anything that isn't already pretty far along.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Jeffrey posted:

What the hell is he supposed to do if he can't finish the project with that budget? If he's spent his 34k it isn't like he can be slave to his promise forever; he needs to eat and live too. His estimate for how expensive it would be was wrong, if he could have foreseen that then so could you. It sucks but that's how these things work. Venture capitalists don't quit and walk away when one venture fails, kickstarter was always a high risk, high reward "investment".

This is his reputation and his budget that he devised. There are a lot of options to try to save his rep and do a better job of working with his backers. Also, he doesn't seem to have run out of money. He mentions nothing about budget and only says he's run out of steam and enthusiasm which is pretty par for the course for completing a long project (hence all the perspiration vs inspiration cliches).

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I didn't enjoy LoD. I dig what they were trying to do and wanted to like it but they skewed so simplistic I found it pretty boring. Last time I played item management was really annoying but it might have been improved (it seemed so obviously bad it had to be a mistake).

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Rogue's Souls isn't anything like Dark Souls. I'd kill for one but I think to make the combat as complex as the Souls games is gonna require 3D movement and positioning which means generating 3D worlds.

I'd kill for any game to have combat like Souls but even games that say they are imitating it always miss its deliberate nature and go for DMC combos and such.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Unormal posted:

V9E8P-K4KTW-C0TPJ

Grabbed it. I'll check it out on Mac.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Sproggiwood is adorable. This is eventually ending up on tablets as well right? Have you looked at consoles at all? It seems well suited to controller play.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Unormal posted:

:neckbeard:

I made the settings screen a little less of an abomination last night. Wish I had time to do full key remapping, but looks like that'll have to be post 1.0.

Was there a list of hot keys somewhere? I wanted to level up via keyboard but couldn't figure out how.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Unormal posted:

Are there any rougelikes that present a party based fps wizardry/eob/grimlock world? I kinda want to make that.

That's how my project started but I gave up on the procedural generation side because my attempts at randomizing environmental puzzles and such just felt too half assed and I didn't want the game to just be combat and hunting for keys. I'd love to return to it someday but it'd probably take someone better at the whole procedural thing. Just smashing together prefabs felt like a cheat but I guess with a huge number it'd work.

I can't think of any party based RLs for that matter that emphasize party survival over character so you are given a prod to retreat and flee even if it requires sacrifices to do it. It'd be fun to end up with those Seven Samurai esque old characters that survive the disasters while new characters are added back in town.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I was looking at Barony too. Couldn't tell if it was fairly complete or more proof of concept

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I bought the pre-Steam Tower Climb beta and emailed the dev a few weeks ago for a key but haven't heard anything. Anyone else get a key that way?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Kyzrati posted:

The dev is literally the worst spammer in the industry and even started a PR business a couple years back (Black Shell Media) which they use to take advantage of new indie devs by taking 30% of their profit for doing nothing but annoying everyone with their spambot network.

In the most recent debacle, one of their latest victims called them out on it in public, then immediately retreated when Black Shell threatened a lawsuit. Here's an article that didn't mention them by name so you can still find it on the web...

So this is all meta to the original question, but please don't support them.

I've never tried their game but they do seem to be pretty crazy. I get spam from them trying to publish every game jam I do and like absolutely anything I've posted on tig.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I don't think Gungeon is bad but I can understand complaints. Rogue-ish games are at their best when they are hard but keep it interesting for players of all skill levels and Gungeon doesn't do a great job of offering an interesting experience to players who are doing poorly. Some patch tweaking might make a big difference as the difficulty is fine just needs some tweaks.

What's awesome about Nuclear Throne is all the weapons feel great even the starting one and immediately you start getting new weapons and crazy level up choices. Even if you hit a roadblock the gameplay stays fun. I'm terrible at NT but I enjoy it whenever I load it up.

Gungeon's pistols suck and it takes ages to kill the normal enemies with them. Really the game just isn't much fun when using the pistol. I haven't seen much that is difficult besides bosses but stages can be pretty lengthy and loot comes slowly. Then each boss is a huge difficulty spike which is going to send bad players repeating sometimes uninteresting easy content over and over to try their hand at a random boss.

Gungeon feels closer to BoI than NT. I also thought the starting BoI weapon (tears) was boring but Gungeon's bosses are harder and has fewer weird items to liven up the early. If you are great at these games you'll buzz through the tedious stuff and probably not notice it as much.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah 3d proc gen is especially hard to make both proper random and also have some coherence when you want it to. Either you end up with just total noise of random everything or the Ziggurat / BoI style of just mashing together prefabs room by room.

I wish Unity at least had support for nested prefabs as that would give me a good base for my room templates but as it is I've had to make a messy overly elaborate system for hand designing room templates that then get populated by prefabs based upon the room style.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Mr. Podunkian posted:

Unity. It's a total pain in the rear end to set up first, but there are ancient scripts out there that make dealing with the lack of nested prefabs a little bit more bearable. I'm using a modified script I found online that instantiates a prefab at runtime, but renders its MeshRenderers at edit time, so you at least can at least easily assemble a room layout. At that point the only thing you're really missing is the ability to make modifications to the prefabs you place, but that's something you can mostly work around.

More elaborate than something like this?

Your game looks pretty awesome. I've been working on a sorta similar daggerfall/UW roguelike. I should probably put explicit door positions in my templates because its been a pain in the rear end to place door spots and then clear out any template prefab positions near them but for some reason I had it in my head I needed to place doors dynamically.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Edited to remove the Advanced Inspector reference so should be able to drop in now. Advanced Inspector is nice for not having to write editor scripts for everything like in this case I added a "Duplicate" button to the nested prefab inspector without any extra editor code.

My biggest annoyance is actually not being able to label prefabs properly in the scene view. Handles.Label text is all weird for some reason and often disappears unless you look at it right. There doesn't seem to be a good scene view text display alternative without some elaborate OnGui singleton somewhere.

Edit: that's interesting. My version is focused on setting up "child positions" for each prefab linked by my Nested Prefab parent which are where the child prefabs are instantiated at runtime. My edit time needs are a little different but it gives me some ideas.

/gamedev derail

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 11, 2016

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anony Mouse posted:

Bought Gungeon, played it for a while local co-op, realized local co-op doesn't work very well, realized there are lots of weird bugs (at least on Mac OSX), got a Steam refund. I might pick it up for PS4 instead and play it solo.

Not sure I like that in local coop whenever your partner dies you rez them instead of finding loot. If your partner dies a lot that means you never get any loot which drags out the tedious pistol only phase. I prefer Spelunky with its special rez altars.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Irony.or.Death posted:

You autofire when something's in range. Your job as a player is about dodging (it has extremely generous iframes) and active ability/consumable use. The game keeps this interesting by adding more bullets.

That sounds really interesting and I hadn't realized from a quick glance at the trailer either. I'm always feeling like there are more ways to get some of that crisp control precision of proper roguelikes into the roguelites/inspired by/ whatever the hell you want to call them games and that's kind of a way to pair BoI closer to them.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

victrix posted:

Something I like in realtime action-y games is limited or controlled slowtime. Super Hot is probably the peak of this particular gameplay concept, but it's used elsewhere.

If you want to play something similar but janky I have been working on a "turn based" option in my UW/Daggerfall ish roguelike here on itch. I haven't had a chance to play Superhot but I've been told its somewhat similar though I was thinking more along the lines of a normal roguelike in that time only moves when you are moving or acting and otherwise time stands still.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Actually that leads me to another question. One thing I've been thinking on is finding that happy balance between "there are an obscene amount of toys to play with" and "good lord I have to manage 20 inventory slots for each person in my crew?"

Party wide inventory with some cost for moving items in and out of it in combat?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The other thing I've already (mostly) implemented is a complete removal of individual ammo types for weapons. Everybody just carries "munitions" and each attack consumes a certain amount of it. Rockets will take more than bullets but I hate, hate, hate juggling clips around and am probably not the only one.

Lately I've been trying to come up with ways to make inventory management take less time and be less painful because let's be honest that isn't the fun part.

Yeah I hate both managing ammo when playing and coding it. Either you end up with kinda pain in the rear end code for dragging and dropping ammo or you have to zip through the inventory all the time looking to see if any valid ammo exists for the weapon which can be bad if you want to have special ammo as someone might accidentally blow through all their super special stuff.

I went with a similar solution for having a currency that all ammo uses and better weapons use more currency. That seems a lot simpler to balance and no need for a lot of art assets for every type of ammo.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

From this talk of people getting insta-gibbed from tough enemies how terrible of an idea is it to just clamp damage to no more than X percent of a player's total health per damage event? That could lead to some weird anti-boss builds with intentionally low health and high damage, but it does really suck to get unexpectedly killed without being able to respond.

This is abstract design wise and not specifically about Dungeonmans as I've bought it but not yet launched it.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 29, 2016

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I played around with some verticality in my fps roguelike and I didn't feel like it added much for massively complicating both the generation and the mapping/navigation. I didn't want to end up something like a Daggerfall dungeon that was way too much of a pain in the rear end to navigate or understand on the map.

Ziggurat box levels are pretty boring, but I'm not sure if going nuts with ramps and overhangs really adds a lot by itself if it gets in the way of environment design overall.

My levels are a bit heavier on corridors. If I do add back in vertical sections I think I'll prevent sections from generating in the same coordinates for mapping simplicity. So a section's Y floor can end up below or above a different one and you can have ramps or stairs connecting them but you'll never have any sections above or below another.

You can play it here though my room 'templates' are pretty simple at the moment but it has a lot of other content.

As far as fps roguelikes I haven't been a big fan of any of them. Delver is charming but not interesting enough to sink much time into. Barony is super janky. Ziggurat is solid if you want Hexen in a box.

I wanted to like Eldritch but as far as I got it was incredibly easy. Like I was just mowing down enemies and past challenges and would end up dying because I was screwing around and not because it was terribly difficult. It has a few interesting elements but nothing that really comes together to hook me. No where near the system complexity of Spelunky at least from my time with it.

There's a new fps roguelike that popped up called One More Dungeon I haven't tried but it doesn't look bad.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Mr. Podunkian posted:

Unless you were save scumming, there's no way you could just easily mow down a bunch of enemies without least noticing how the systems in the game work together in a neat, synergistic way. I mean, you take a rock, and even if you're just talking about stealth mechanics, consider you can throw a rock as a distraction, or use that rock as a weapon, or that you might even need to sneak past an enemy to get a rock to be able to then open up those opportunities at some later time. Then consider that that same rock can also trigger traps, which can modify level geometry, which can completely change how you need to get through a level.

Maybe the game was broken when I played it but the AI didn't react much. I could just walk up to things with a melee weapon and stab away. Unlike Spelunky where health is very valuable with few ways to resurrect or heal in Eldritch I felt like I had plenty of ways to recover from a mistake so it was easy to play loose. I'm not sure I ever picked up a rock I just zoomed around shooting and stabbing things. I think most of my deaths came from falling off ledges without paying attention or screwing around with the powers.

Not the spelunky has great AI but the nature of a 3d game makes it much easier to exploit listless enemies. Even enemies in the mines can be threatening in spelunky and encourage ingenuity to handle them but never got that from eldritch.

The stealth system also seemed hard to notice because monsters didn't consistently react to my presence. I could run by and sometimes they didn't seem to see me. I don't remember much indication when they did notice you as a tip off either.

I liked the vibe of the game so I should probably give it a chance again, but the couple of hours I spent with it didn't do much for me.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 8, 2016

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Irony.or.Death posted:

But that's the best thing about Daggerfall! The possibility of getting lost is seriously underexplored in roguelikes - this makes sense in the classic 2-d overhead view setup where the obvious thing to try is not having an in-game map, which is really just annoying players. When you're moving into 3-d level design, though, there are lots and lots of interesting ways a room could not really line up well with a 2-d map and this could easily be a good thing.

I absolutely adore Daggerfall I'm just not sure this is something players, even a small niche, would actually like experiencing in a contemporary game. I can crank up my dungeon sizes and remove the ways I am trying to achieve coherence in my generator and it becomes pretty easy to get lost but as it is I'm getting some feedback even now how annoying it is for that to happen.

Obviously an issue for my game now is too much of the levels look the same and it needs more unique content and if it had more of it that would make exploring better so you could get a more intuitive sense of the space you are moving through.

If you removed automap you'd still need some way for the player to orient themselves. Maybe some kinda compass that points to the exit and displays distance so you at least know if you are moving away or towards it. It is simpler in Spelunky since exits are on the bottom and you always have a pretty significant view of your surroundings from being a platformer and it would be too easy to walk right by an exit in 3D.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I get why people try to defend negative reviews with lengthy play times but its the scale of the commitment with games that changes things. You can spend 90 minutes with a movie or a couple hours with a book and finish it and go "you know, that was crap" but if you spend dozens and dozens of hours with a game it is pretty hard to cry about it being the worst. Spending the equivalent of many full workdays playing a thing shows that either it ain't that bad or you are crazy.

Steam reviews just aren't a good place for criticism. They are Backpacker Magazine style buy this/don't buy this. There's no room for nuance and if you spend ludicrous hours with something that costs $10 it is pretty hard to judge it a poor value. There are other places better suited for armchair designer thoughts.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 11, 2016

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone tried Vanilla Bagel: The Roguelike? I hadn't heard of it but the tile work is pretty good

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Many modern videogames (especially the AAA caliber) are overproduced and too smooth. I want games that have at least a little bit of jankiness to them, because you need that kind of thing if you're ever going to really surprise the player.

Definitely. Something I love about old games is all the cruft they left in or pointless marginalia. OG X-Com has all kinds of lander craft that suck so it makes sense why X-Com Next Generation cut them all out, but I miss having any kind of choice. It made old X-Com feel more like an open sim about combating an alien threat while new X-Com is a much more focused series of challenges. New X-Com isn't bad but it isn't an unambiguous improvement over the old one either.

madjackmcmad posted:

On to something new then, and this one is just for us!
:toot:Rogue Scholars 2016: Winter is Coding:toot:

This is awesome. My dearest projects always end up as too elaborate so here's something simpler:

Robots Hate Magic

The space president crashed on his way to an important space conference. The catch is the planet contained a pre-technology civilization and no law is more sacred than non interference in developing planets. The one loophole is that anthropological robots are allowed to hide among the populace and study them

You were a robot who broke all the laws and were sentenced to deactivation. The president's advisers come to you with an offer you can't refuse: insert into the planet disguised as an anthropology bot and rescue the president. The clock is ticking because the president has to reach that conference.

As a far superior being to a fleshy mammal you don't need sleep or food and can move with impossible speed and strength, but your anthropology software is always watching. Show off too many impossible feats and it'll shut you down. Gain a little more leeway by pretending to be human or actually perform studies to placate the software. Though if your back is against the wall you'll crush these primitives under the superior metal heel of science.

- You have an Exposure bar that indicates how much the locals notice your unnatural behavior

- Eating food, resting, collecting artifacts, or 'observing the locals' (stealth around no combat) reduces the bar

- Depending on the robot you roll you have tech abilities that increase the bar. You are also able to keep fighting to several times below 0 HP but that creates a lot of exposure. Alternatively you can fake die and lose time and gear while you wait for the locals to disperse.

- Time is mildly precious due to the president clock and the game ends if it reaches zero. Normal walking and combat doesn't decrease it much but rests and deaths do.

- If through study you find some dumb local superstition that explains away part of your robot abilities you can use them for a reduced penalty

- An alternative objective is to find a way to disable that software and then bulldoze your way to the president while lecturing the locals on your robot superiority

Procgen scrambles elements of the primitive society each time but no crazy URR completely procedural societies and beliefs or anything. Just madlib some templates.

No giant procedural world I'm thinking more like a smaller scale Ultima 4 with a couple of simple villages with clues to small dungeons with clues to big dungeon with president. Might make non-village/dungeon travel menu based to waste less time screwing around with it.

UI would be pretty scifi while the gameplay elements are more traditional fantasy. Thinking like the old school CRPG mix of tech and fantasy. A lot of the old Might and Magic games always had a 'twist' where behind everything were crashed robots or something so vibing on that.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 30, 2016

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

eonwe posted:

im not entering the roguelike thing because I honestly don't think I'd be smart enough or good enough to make one but the roguelike ive always wanted to play would be halloween themed

basically you'd be a kid on halloween trying to trick or treat but surprise surprise, the other monsters are real. you gotta get to the rich part of town and pick up some fabled full-size candy bars and bring them back home safely to win

your class would be based on what you dressed up for as halloween

witches would have a broomstick escape ability and could turn people into frogs and other spooky stuff, vampires would have health regen on attack, etc
--------

it would obviously be very silly and not take itself seriously at all. maybe sort of like zombies ate my neighbors meets dungeons of dredmor / dungeonmans

Pretty close to the Costume Quest games but they went for old school Final Fantasy combat. I never care for the gameplay in Double Fine games but my wife adores them. You should check them out if you've always wanted a Halloween themed game, but I definitely think that setting is way underutilized.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 30, 2016

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Tiramisu posted:

* Deterministic combat: No dice rolls. If the player's attack range aligns with the enemy without obstruction, it should always hit. An obstruction like a pillar should always block it. One shot, one kill. The player will have the ability to absorb more than one hit both to give some room for error and allow for sacrificial plays. Probably represented by having their hat shot off because it's an awful math joke. Right now, I'm thinking they can recover a spent hat by picking one up from a slain enemy who had one.

The hat idea is really great for a western.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Haven't really gotten to any of the goofy robot stuff but I have tons of code for the procedural Daggerfall-ish game I've been poking at for a while so it wasn't hard to retrofit it for a more proper RL (turn based, grid movement, bump combat, etc). Kept the first person view and it looks like Stonekeep now with the 90s model to sprite stuff.

In first person really shows how much quicker the RL bump combat pace is then a normal crawler. Has anyone done a first person more traditional RL than something like Delver? With a minimap you can still keep an eye on the tactical.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

Is the model to sprite stuff all happening on the fly? Tell me more! Also, to answer your question:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon_Hack

Dungeon Hack is real time EoB tho I was thinking like completely turn based, etc etc. I do eventually want to make a grungy UI option like Dungeon Hack.

I've done both baked and real time sprite conversions. I'm not sure if there is a more clever way to do real time but it was rendertextures with filters, low rez, animation clipping, and forcing facing. It looks pretty close but on a slower computer it would be kinda amusing how much performance hit you'd take with a lot of enemies on screen. Maybe that'd make it feel even more authentic? (wow look at that slowdown)

In that picture it is baked as baked allows you to tweak the sprites and is certainly faster.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Gungeon was a game I really wanted to like but almost all of the ancillary decisions they made are just unfun. You can grind through it to hit some interesting content but the moment to moment gameplay is tedious.

It also doesn't help that NT is a very similar game but outshines it in every way. NT is glorious fun from the moment you start and just keeps adding interesting things. Gungeon says hey like at this cute art! Now eat your pees you might get dessert later.

Roguelikelike even also has a higher standard for what good balancing is. I hated some of the gameplay decisions in Tyranny that made it tedious to play near the end, but I just lowered the difficulty and enjoyed other aspects. With Gungeon if you hate the balancing you hate the game.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, like I said, I love Gungeon's aesthetic, the writing, the theming, all that. I really wanted to like the gameplay too. But I didn't. :(

Yeah it's a shame the designer missed the mark so badly as the art, writing, and music are so drat good. Even the gameplay technically is fine. Like I wish the devs would hand the Unity project over to another designer for a remix DLC or something as I feel like just with tweaking you could really turn it into something great.

They didn't make a bad game they just stuck to their guns (ho ho ho) on some poor decisions even after the initial reviews had a lot of the same complaints.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 17, 2016

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

zirconmusic posted:

Damage Types Streamlined
I've done away with Slash, Blunt, and Pierce damage. It felt like unnecessary bloat and didn't add any real depth. It was also hard to guess or communicate whether a monster was strong or weak to a certain damage type. However, all the other elements still exist, so you'll still have to think twice about using Fire on a Salamander or Lightning on a Thunder Spirit. And remember, some terrain interacts with elemental damage - like Lava boosting Fire damage!

Your game is super cool.

This is something that came up for me lately on my dev project. How much fun/interesting are physical damage resistances? As you said it is difficult to communicate ahead of time (armored dudes are almost never uniformly weak to blunt and such). Like in the Souls games the physical resistances make some weapons surprisingly effective (mace) but that mostly makes weapon comparisons just slightly less obvious. In the age of wikis I'm not sure how much depth that brings as much as just adding less obvious gotchas. It's often not clear when your sword is doing lovely damage due to less ideal resistances.

I wonder if it would be better to just give some mobs heavy physical defenses and have out there weapons with a bonus vs X (+20% vs demons, +20% vs cavalry, etc) and the result ends up similar. A bonus is much clearer and depending on your fiction where the bonus can be applied can be extremely obvious (e.g. Fire Emblem's rock paper scissor setup or any game with lots of monster races).

I'm also thinking the fewer the resistances the more gameplay you can hang off them. With a large roster of resistances you can't expect the player to have a way to deal with all of them so it is hard to give them a large impact. If you go with a smaller number (say <5) you can make that a significant issue everyone is expected to deal with (maybe again more like FE).

What do ya''l think?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

superh posted:

7K68-9BN7-H34Q

Thanks, grabbed this one. I hope Sony puts you guys in a featured spot on the store. You did a great job with your cover art though. Really stands out in the listing.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

superh posted:

It's probably not in the true-blue-grognard spirit of the roguelike thread to post about it - but Deathstate launched on PS4 today, which is still blowing my mind. Have some (US only) keys, thread!!

This game is pretty great. I am absolutely in love with the music. Its like perfect 90s MIDI.

So far the single stick shooter mechanic auto tracks exactly where I'd want so you guys must have some interesting code that is doing a good job of anticipating the player.

Nothing seems awry on the PS4 port.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

Strafe is getting murdered on its Steam page, I'm amazed. All the complaints I've read seem pretty thought out and solid though. Really disappointing. I watched a stream earlier and found myself cocking my head a little. I do want to try it eventually.

It was pretty confusing they flogged nostalgia in their marketing so much and then put in a reload button.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Half-Life 1 had reloading. v:shobon:v

You expected a tram ride intro from the game? Their angle was definitely Quake with other 90s fast paced shooters but heavily on the Quake.

A retro-ish game is better if it evolves the gameplay, but finding the key features to preserve is what makes a Shovel Knight. Limited weapon capacity and reloading seems off that mark.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 10, 2017

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Half Life 1 was also like the anti-90s shooter at release. It broke from the conventions of the time especially in that Gordon Freeman is supposed to feel weak. You have more realistic weapons and have to outwit the troops with their snazzy AI rather than just slaughter them with crazy guns.

The fantasy in Doom/Quake/etc is all about empowering the player to feel like an only vaguely human wrecking ball making GBS threads out damage with fantastic weaponry. Half Life is Die Hard to Doom's Commando. Reloading and limited weapon inventory aren't really part of that player fantasy.

Strafe is already in difficult territory by going roguelike/random which removes a significant 90s shooter feature of level flow. I would have been pretty reluctant to chop away at anything else considering their marketing campaign.

Bunker Punks also has limited weapon inventory which feels pretty pointless there too.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 10, 2017

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Backed Star Crawlers ages ago and finally got to play it a bit after it went 1.0. Not sure how I feel about it yet. Some elements are pretty cool (the world, the classes, getting something Wizardry-ish), but not so hot on exploring. Loot has been a lot of forgettable side-grade stuff with few consumables so when you hit a harder fight you don't have a lot of extra juice to bring out as all the skills/spells are cooldowns. This means there's not a lot of strategic resource management. I wish they'd gone for non-modal combat like most later era dungeon crawlers but I understand all the technical issues that avoids.

Procedural levels are really the only 'roguelike' element with items and combat as they are. They are pretty bland which is the usual procedural problem. I'm working on something kinda similar and it has solidified my decision to go for much smaller levels. There's not really much interesting about wandering around a big empty level looking for something to click on in the tile set. The earlier smaller levels were a lot better in SC.

I also think the off center clickables and the mouselook don't really add anything to a grid based crawler. Grid movement is artificial weirdness so you can't have the natural WASD first person feel. It just makes it harder to see things since they aren't centered like Grimrock as the game expects you to mouselook around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I don't like the procedural loot in Star Crawlers. Their UI for comparing stuff isn't very good so it gets tedious checking through piles of similar looking equipment. I've never been a fan of Diablo style loot but at least a slick UI makes it less annoying.