Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Oh this is bullshit. I spend my entire fortune buying the book that tells you how to cure the disease, but even getting enough honey to delay it costs just as much, nevermind the full treatment.

EDIT: And apparently you need desalinated amoeba slime, which is not just flavor text, but describes what you have to do to slime. With an item I have never even seen. Great.

If the Ironshanks takes full hold I'm just going to solve this by wishing, this is possibly the worst gameplay mechanic I've seen in a roguelike outside of IVAN.

I think that means don't let a slug get into saltwater. when you kill a slug (in the first cave, pretty deep), they shoot out shitloads of amoeba slime if I recall correctly. Or there's an amoeba down there. OR something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I gave occult chronicles a try the other day, and I think I basically won. My character was nearly unstoppable with great gear, except that I couldn't find the final boss encounter and ran out of time. Is there any good/reliable way to find it?

I was in that living house mission.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Also, how much you win or lose by matters. A great win on any challenge will net you sanity/health/edge levels/proficiency/weapons /etc, and likewise a big loss may include instant death, debilitating effects (permanent ones), etc.

You always gain the same # of points from winning with the same type of card (aka a 3 on the table beaten with a 4 or a 10 rewards the same trick points), but face cards are worth lots more and do have a specific hierarchy. I think its page - knight - queen - king. If you put a queen against a king for example, 0 points, same as if you put an ace (aka a 1) against it.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

keyvin posted:

Same stupid poo poo here. I don't know how to stop being bad at risk vs. reward. Its why I have never taken up gambling.

Roguelikes 101:

if you sense there is danger and are unsure what to do, consider every option you have EXCEPT taking a turn (be it by moving, actions that consume a "turn" of some kind, etc). Stop and think, and possibly plan.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

You're lucky he didn't get a working Confuse off on you. Those make trollzerkers prime targets for magic scythes.

Trog adds magic resist based on piety in addition to the invokable magic resist+regen, I thought?

Also higher value corpses are (I think) better to pray over (offer) due to better piety gain unless you were hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Unormal posted:

Oh, all of them (in landscape) is the goal.

I thought I had read somewhere that there are tricks to the resolution/aspect ratios and so it only ends up being like 3 or 4 of em? Small/Normal/Large/Xlarge ?