Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Just dropping in to say Jupiter hell is really good. Like in DoomRL I enjoy the themed challenge runs, shame not all of them have achievements. I managed to secure a victory on angel of vampirism on hard which apparently only 0.3% got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The only unfair death I had so far was doing angel of confidence on hard mode. I was on Dante 3 and somehow got the hunt modifier. It was impossible to survive against the entire level coming at you.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Aaand thats Angel of Carnage down. Finished with Scout and Gunrunner. I found calamity, the unique plasma launcher which helped a lot but was hard to stock ammo for. I still have no idea how to complete Angel of light travel, probably a melee build?

Also still salty about losing that angel of confidence run before the final boss because of the hunt level modifier.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Jack Trades posted:

How do you angel of carnage without killing yourself?

Marine and tech can get covermaster, which reduces splash damage massively if you're in cover. this way you can blow up enemies that are close. As Scout you can cloak and get the perk "running" which especially combined with hellrunner will let you outrun any enemy to a safe distance to rocket them, especially with the gunrunner master perk.

Edit: Tech can also spec into fireangel which makes you completely immune to splash with covermaster.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Undermine is a trash game imo, a big regret purchase. There are no real synergies in items you find and the bless/curse system is horrible. Also whoever thought needing a jump with almost no air control in an isaac perspective game needs some serious talking to.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've only played Jupiter Hell. If you want to find out if you enjoy it's gameplay, just get DoomRL and play a few rounds to see if it sticks with you.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Has anyone beaten Angel of light travel in Jupiter Hell? I tried a Scout assassin melee build but it didnt work out. Maybe just get the hoarder perk and treat the game as normal with a smaller inventory? No idea why the challenge is labelled as easy.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Managed to get to the final boss on Light travel hard. Tried to go with a sniper build but ultimately didnt have enough healing and pain destroyed my chances of success. I might try to go Gun Kata and switch to plasma pistols on Io or just Gunrunner... or go back to Marine cheese with Survivor and the demonblood.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Failed a run with gun kata scout for Light travel/hard. I just ran out of ammo, what a shame, had 2 calibrated 9mms too. Gonna try again with AoD marine, and if it fails survivor marine.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I mainly hate branches with lots of reavers since they consume ammo and give none

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Ciaphas posted:

are AVx weapons just weapons with x number of pre-rolled mods (eg the same ones from power, acc, bulk packs) or can they roll unique ones?

AV3 weapons can roll the "powerful" perks that are marked in light blue. A route that has worked several times for me now is going with the Marine to Europa ruins and then Shadow Halls. You can aquire a unique buff this way, out of a choice of 3. It synergizes super well with Marines Angry Motherfucker skill.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If anyone is curious about the route i mentioned:

Europa Ruins:

At the end of this route is a temple. beat up all baddies and you can enter the temple. Inside is the frozen heart and an AV3 amp/armor. You can pick up either the heart OR both items. If you pick all you get angry spawns of reavers firing at you from the platforms. You need the frozen heart for this

Shadow Halls

In the halls of darkness go into the middle area straight away and drop the frozen heart on the pentagram. When you move you will get a menu selecting one of three upgrades. These all come with downsides!
"WEALTH!" - choose one of three unique weapons. The maximum health reduced by 33%, and the current health to 20. All medkits and multitools are removed from the character's inventory and from the level.
"POWER!" - Demonblood effect: +50% damage, receive 50% less healing. The maximum health reduced by 50%, and the current health to 20.
"HEALTH!" - Demonblood effect: regenerate 5 health per turn up to 50% of the maximum health, healing effects reduced to 25%. Current health reduced to 1.
You then have to fight the spawns and can loot the room if you win.

I use Survivor / Angry MF together with this unique perk to easily regen up to 50% hp with a 160 hp marine.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

And thats Angel of Light travel down on hard! Marine with shotguns/AoD came through again. Angry MoFo is legit one of the best traits I feel.

Also PSA don't ever go into the Mephitic mines unless you're immune to poison. Thats a relic I will gladly take any time every time.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
JH question: theres this 7.62 gatling which gets more damage the more kills you do without reloading it. Does gunrunner reloading count for this? I know that autoloaders that reload 3 bullets per step do not.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It could unlock a side room level, or alert security. its a bit of a risk to be honest.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I lived the dream in JH, one shot gibbing medusas and warlocks. Died at final boss tho because of damage gate . It was angel of eagerness so I had no healing at all aside from some Regen.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If anyone is curious how I managed to insta gib warlocks / medusae:

I found this unique rifle, Vengeance, early on. On Europa I managed to find an armor with an auto belt loader that reloads your weapon partially on moving. This does NOT count as a reload action. Vengeance gets +50% crit per kill until you reload, this stacks up to 250%.

And yes, that is 401% crit chance.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

LordSloth posted:

As a follow up and addendum to the above post:
Default critical damage in Jupiter Hell is 50%. A 9mm SMG with 100% crit chance would do nine damage a shot, instead of the usual six.

Semi-auto rifles like Vengeance, the hunter rifle, sniper rifle, and rail gun do 100% crit damage instead of the usual 50%. This was a fairly late change in EA.

The fourth perk you can get from power modding a helmet is a crit enhancer, boosting the crit damage by 25%. After a certain point this is more useful than the crit chance boosts an agility mod grants.

Vengeance stacks crit chance with a kill streak. It’s just insane and I’m jealous. I want to use that with SNIPER 3.

It would have been perfect if I had any healing ability outside of 2 adrenaline stacks. I also panicked and forgot to use my smoke/plasma grenades for angel of eagerness, I'll get it some other time.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Heliotrope posted:

Picked up Jupiter Hell, did a few runs.

I'm thinking of going the Survival Master Trait, maybe with the perks that make cover/dodge good. Is that a good set up and Master Trait?

I also have a problem where I vacuum up the plentiful 9mm bullets and overload my inventory, and then feel really hesitant to throw it out to get other items. What's a good number of slots to devote to carrying ammo? I usually have 2 weapons and a third I'll l just grab off the ground and use until the ammo's done. Clearly I need to unlearn ammo hoarding so that I can have other useful items on hand as well.

Survivalist is a high risk high reward perk, you need to absolutely go all in on angry motherfucker with it but the good thing is it works with any weapon. Dodge isnt necessarily the best idea for the marine, I'd go all in on ironman up to 160 hp.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Finished angel of confidence on hard with the marine in JH! Used 7.62 auto rifle for the entire run until I got the anti mech rifle which is just a straight upgraded version. Final boss was a bit hairy but I had several large medkits stocked. Now I only need to beat UV and angel of eagerness for 100% achievements in steam.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

victrix posted:

who the gently caress is nightmare difficulty for

The dev, im pretty sure. Even in DoomRL I never beat the highest difficulty level.

Also I never can get a marine pistol build off the ground. It just takes too long and its too weak overall.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Anyone got tips for angel of eagerness on hard in JH? I've been throwing myself at the wall with the Marine about 10 times now. I could get to the final boss 2 times and died and usually the runs end on io or beyond.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The only time you can realistically dual wield smgs is with the marines bulletstorm master trait at lvl 2+ and it has to be 7.62 ones since 9mm ammo is too hard to come by in this quantity even with ammo perks.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Go for angel of shotgunnery and appreciate army of darkness on the marine.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ive been trying UV a bit with the scout but I cant get a run going with the class compared to the marine.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm really loving sick of not being able to do the routes i want to on angel of impatience because RNG decided the door is broken or needs to be unlocked by a terminal, both things you cant do on that challenge.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It took me like 30 tries but I finally did it... survived barely, but good enough! Now only the UV cheevo is left on the to do list... for now!

Edit: I also found the relic that places a death curse on every living enemy that you hurt once combined with the CRI bio launcher. Meant i could just fire a rocket into a room and run away and everything in it would die thats not a machine.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

victrix posted:

Now on to the Hard difficulty Angel challenges...

Maybe people found other strategies for these but here's what I used:

Light travel: Survivor Marine, grab the backpack from Europa. Gun Kata builds ran out of ammo always when I tried em.
Carnage: Gunrunner Scout. Ideal for this kind of weapon
Shotgunner: AoD Marine. As long as you find even one improved shotgun you're golden
Confidence: Won as a Bulletstorm Marine with dual 7.62 smgs. Survivor or AoD might work too
Vampirism: Survivor Marine. Vampyre or other classes melee builds might work too. As long as you get that regen trait from shadow halls youre fine with any build.
Eeagerness: The worst challenge out of the achievement ones. I dont think anything except the survivor marine works in this, and it still took me over 25 tries.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Got to Dante 2 with a gunrunner scout on UV, but I was clearly running out of steam there and dying to a hunt stage. I'll try a wizard tech maybe since I havent really used that build yet at all.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Same tbh, all my tech attempts on UV died before the 4th stage, you just get shot to pieces since you cant run away.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ive tried the strait but still failing with the tech on UV. what routes are you taking? I tried valhalla command but those big bots do NOT gently caress around on UV and will take out most of your health with a rocket.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Finally managed to survive the early game slog with the Technician on UV. once I got Wizard on Europa the rest was so much easier.

I had enough keycards also to go to the blacksite and grab the BFG.

All done for now! I hope they add more cheevos for all challenges.

Edit: 55 deaths and 9 wins in total. 7 of the 9 were marine wins...

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 22, 2021

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Jack Trades posted:

Is Nailgun actually good? When I found it I thought it was a joke weapon. What am I missing?

If you have the multitools its basically 500 ammo in 1 inventory slot.

Edit: Angel of Mercy and New York Reload make me sweat just by looking at them.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
There strangely are no medals for angel runs on UV, its up to hard for gold then platinum is nightmare clear.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is Dungeonmans worth playing in 2021? I have had it on my wishlist for years but actually never bought it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Since this is also sort of the "metaprogression game" thread... Please don't buy "The last spell".

Unless they massively change how the game plays it will stay a terrible grinder game where you simply cant win until you have 10-20 "runs" under your belt.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The meta progression aside the balance of the game is completely whack. And I was reaffirmed on this opinion by every single youtube "guide" for the game bascially saying only use these weapons and/or exploit glitches.

It's just not a fun game. Shame about the art / music going to waste.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I just remembered that the first roguelike I ever played was some silly game named IVAN. Was that ever finished or just made as a joke to be never won?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Might be worth a revisit if only for laughs. The game scaled so hard to your gear/level so it was impossible to ever win.
I have fond memories of eating bananas so you can slip on the peels till one of your legs falls off then pray to the gods to get a replacement limb.

Or drop enough peels to get people in a town killed and loot their corpses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Pro tip for rogue legacy 2: enable house rules and turn off contact damage