Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

How is Sword of the Stars, Kerberos aside, and Teleglitch? Teleglitch looks interesting but I can see those graphical effects getting annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Awesome, thanks for the info! I was a bit wary of getting the bundle since I already had Isaac and Dredmor but I'll give it a shot.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Bionic Dues is pretty cool and has an awesome theme song. It's worth a few bucks.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

In CoQ, is there a way to see exactly what skills do before you buy them? Or a skill guide somewhere?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Well, I finally got to the cloaca in Golgotha with a praetorian true kin. I could've gone with other characters but I wanted to be at least level 15 and other dudes kept dying to goatfolk or other random poo poo. The snog really kicked the poo poo out of me though. I had a carbide shield and longsword plus like 8 DV from my equipment and he was still hitting me for 10-20 damage every round. Is there a trick to him or should I just hope I have a shitton of grenades for next time?

Also I got really frustrated after that because I died in quick succession to a bunch of bullshit. First a snapjaw scavenger one-shotted me with a grenade on level 1 of Red Rock. Next a legendary and a horde of snapjaws ambushed me near the stairs. Finally a snapjaw woke up a slumberling which promptly charged me and hit for 20 damage or so. I said gently caress it and rolled a mutant with extra arms and wished myself some helping hands and 3 2h fullerite longswords. That build was hilarious as I was hitting for 30+ damage most rounds. I also got my revenge on the slumberling but then I died again in Golgotha. I think I'm going to stick with the freezy hands axecrab build. It seems really solid and it felt way squishier than sword and board until I got freezing hands so I can keep enemies frozen or cold to avoid damage.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Is it an erotic CYOA with the apple farmer's daughter?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I'm really enjoying the dodgy dagger based mutant build. Rejoinder is crazy good and I take carapace for some DV and the resists. It really sucks until level 4 though, you really need shank since I start off with low strength and triple-jointed. I did however get to Bethesda Susa and beat the troll bosses for the first time. The invisible one is a bitch and I'm still not sure how exactly to kill him but I think walking into his space hurts him. Rejoinder still works too. Then I got careless and stepped on something that bled me for 13 damage a turn but I kept moving without noticing and died. The guy after that was also doing well but somehow I pissed off the Kyakua villagers and the Barathrumites. The villagers were easy to take care of but the angry Barathrumites broke the main quest.

I did find an awesome boss, maybe a novice, but he had ridiculous artifacts on him. He had wings, helping hands, spectacles, several books, a ganglionic something or other and a phase cannon. I'm lucky I was able to get close, the phase cannon does ridiculous damage. With the quest broken, I was just farting around in ruins and got trapped by a pack of Putus Templar. Their armor is no joke even with crysteel weapons.

I kinda wish that they had a blank slate background that gives you a few bronze weapons and bunch of skill points and a couple of attribute points, like dungeonmans. Arconaut is half tinker, half short blades and that build really sucks with low strength until you get shank.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Goncyn posted:

the beginning of Qud would be much, much better with an autoexplore that didn't walk adjacent to wall plants and stopped when a projectile misses you

Photosynthetic might start you friendly with plants. I actually managed to get to friendly with plants and boars my last game since factions is weird when you start killing a bunch of uniques. I also killed an ape god and cut off his fist.

For comparison, a fullerite maul only does 2d3 damage.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

S.T.C.A. posted:

Where's a good place to grind at level 20+ in Qud? I still haven't found a drat flamethrower so I haven't stepped into Golgotha, though I cleared a couple levels of Bethesda Susa since I needed something that would still give me some amount of exp.

I *will* find that ape god again.

I've also been exploring the new connected cave system:

I found a clone of Skybear and an ape god worshipper who was carrying all those gaslights and the vibro, along with helping hands and an assortment of handy loot.

Do those gaslight weapons become good with a cell in them? Those stats are garbage.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Please add a Living Hive physical mutation that lets us play as The Pain by shooting bees at stuff, tia

What, not this guy?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Wow, I bought Tower Climb 3 years ago, never thought it'd actually be finished and be on Steam. It's a lot of fun though, I'd highly recommend it if you like climbing gigantic procedurally generated towers.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

This might be the wrong place to ask, but do you guys have any recommendations for mid-range laptops with numpads? Super low spec games are pretty much the only thing my current laptop can play but it's a pain in the rear end to play roguelikes without a numpad.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

fishmech posted:

I recommend instead that you purchase a bluetooth or USB numpad, because laptops with numpads are often tire fires

That sounds good, thanks. I didn't realize they were so cheap.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do you have 868-HACK? That's probably my favorite minimalist roguelike at the moment.

edit: Right, I nearly forgot to ask: Deathstate: do the drifting bands of color have any gameplay effects? I can't find anything on 'em in the steam forums or via google.

The 868-HACK video is pretty good, turns out I would bootleg a burrito.

Also I saw that Harebrained Schemes is making a game called Necropolis, it's 3rd person action roguelike with coop. Looks pretty cool but I'll wait and see how tight the combat feels.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/384490/

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

everythingWasBees posted:

Awesome, thank you so much!

Also it is awesome.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah, it looks way worse than I thought it would. Why they went with full 3D is beyond me.

You can play it in ascii too.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

hito posted:

Hey nerds. Jupiter Hell is on its last 48 hours with $7k left. Please back it, I really want to play this game.

Hooray, it funded! Still a day to go too.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Irony.or.Death posted:

For the second time, isn't it? First shot had a much higher ask.

Yeah and the first ask had a ridiculously specific number too because they were able to calculate how much they needed to within a hundred dollars.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

There's a new humble roguelike bundle, although it's mobile only: https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile/roguelikes-mobile-bundle

I haven't played most of the games but the top tier has Sproggiwood so now you really have no excuse for getting it.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Does Humble Bundle still do the thing where you have to install the games through their special Android app, or do they do it through the Play store now?

Yeah, it still uses the humble app and games don't always receive the latest updates.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Bionic Dues also has a, uh, surprising theme song for a roguelike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFCClIC-ZXs

Also seconding (thirding?) Dead Cells being great. Super polished for early access and tons of fun. Combat and movement feels super solid and it got me in that 'one more run...' mindset. It also looks great, what is that style called? I think it's where they make a 3d model then create the sprite from it?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Any opinions on Scavenger SV4? I remember someone recommending it and it's on sale now along with everything else.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Cool, thanks! I'll pick it up, it looks like it's right up my alley.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Any opinions on Hades? I'm down for any Supergiant game but it's still on early access.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Enter the Gungeon is free on the Epic Games store this week. I haven't played it but people in the thread seem to like it (except for the ammoconda)?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Jupiter Hell has a free demo weekend: https://twitter.com/epyoncf/status/1142144339830857728

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Convoy is in a $4 bundle here: click

Did it ever improve? I remember people saying it was pretty underwhelming when it first came out and it's sort of a roguelite?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

How do you feel about ridiculously hard final bosses

I played a ton of FTL so I'm ok with it.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I think it's just the website, not the game itself.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

If anyone remembers Approaching Infinity, it looks like it is finally escaping the black hole of Shrapnel Games and getting a spot on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/551620/Approaching_Infinity/

But is it way, way too late for this game to be relevant to this thread? Will it have a price point under $40? Hard to say until August 5, when it unlocks!

I actually bought it at $40 and don't regret it, mostly because that type of game is extremely my poo poo. I would've expected more space-y roguelikes but AI is still pretty good albeit with its own flaws. It definitely will be less expensive according to the dev plus lots of new stuff for the Steam release.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

victrix posted:

Whoah neat, is it good?

It's not the best ever but it's pretty good. The original version at least suffers from some balance issues but it looks the steam version is expanded and reworked.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Zedlic posted:

Back from giving Caves of Qud yet another chance, and again I come back with the impression that there's a magnificent game there underneath a dogshit unusable UI. I have no idea how anyone can play this, it's like the UI is trying to be as convoluted and inconsistent as possible. Even for a roguelike UI this is an impressively tall pile of poo poo.

Like, moving the sidebar automatically to the right or left side of the screen is the stupidest UI decision I can imagine. Why of course I like to not have a consistent place for important information in my interface! Please, move it around based on my actions that imply no intent whatsoever in making changes to the UI. Such a programmer thing to do. "Look at your sidebar. It is either on the left or the right side of the screen, depending on where your character is in the world. That's a normal thing to design for humans."

CoQ has a UI revamp coming up so maybe you want to wait for that. I'd try enabling the overlay UI in the options though, I believe it doesn't have the left/right sidebar.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

FutureCop posted:

Goodness gracious, the Eagle Temple in Curse of the Dead Gods is kicking my rear end. Not sure, but it really feels like this was a Darkest Dungeon-esque case where early access people complained the first two were too easy (since they were playing them for so long) so they upped the difficulty wayyyyy up for the last one they made. It's got the most annoying traps and there are no throwaway grunt enemies: every unit is very complex and has tons of annoying tricks. Ugh, now I'm starting to suffer from that AVGN thing: I actually made it all the way to the final boss of it the first few times, but I keep getting worse and worse now as I keep trying.

I laughed because that's exactly what happened. I read that people were beating the first two temples with just a torch so they made eagle temple much harder. gently caress those lightning babies, they're miserable to fight with close up weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, I've had this thing on my wishlist since last year sometime and the variance I see in reviews on it is wild. It's like people are playing two totally different games.

It's very different from most roguelikes in that there were no real tactical decisions to make in the moment since there weren't active abilities or anything which was also true for the monsters. It was basically just risk management in that you go down to a planet, explore as much as you can safely do and then get out. The main choices you can make happen in choosing your officers, your skills, your ship and ship's equipment. So people expecting crunchy combat get very little out of it but there were definitely were multiple enemy types both on planet and in space, it's just that their differences were limited to damage/health/move stats and ai behavior.

I haven't played much recently but I believe the dev has added more stuff to do including tactical options like grenades and movement/weapon abilities. There are 'elite' enemies along with various resistances and weaknesses and more variety in weapons. Personally I like the exploration aspect even if every planet does boil down to searching all the squares and killing the enemies, each planet usually looks different and you can find loot like equipment or clues to find powerful artifacts. The diplomacy aspect is also quite important since there's more than a dozen alien races, each with their own attitudes towards each faction, their own ships and tech level and views on your actions. Bankers get happy if you trade in their stations and complete quests, the Gruff start off hostile but get friendly after you kill enough of them to command their respect etc. Winning the game is usually tied to completing the ultimate quests for various factions.

I can understand why the poster upthread is saying it's content-lite but 10 sectors is really not very much. Certain factions and their bases only show up later on so quitting early is missing those interactions and exploring each planet in every sector to 100% probably would make the game super boring. You can quickly get more powerful ship warp engines so you can skip 2 or 3 sectors at a time to get to the quests or other faction bases or just more powerful loot. But yeah, the game was definitely light on content when it first released on Steam. It wasn't actually in development for 10 years, Shrapnel was selling it for a ridiculous price with terrible support and the dev just recently got it back. He's only been updating it since Steam, not as much before and it's got quite a lot of changes since then.

This is just going by the changelogs though, like I said I haven't played it recently since I've been waiting for it to come out of early access. I bet by then there will be more variety and more things to do including more interesting combat.