Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

victrix posted:

I thought it was a decent game that could be great with more enemy and weapon variety. There's tons of interesting level up mods to unlock, but the enemy roster isn't big enough to sustain interest through a ton of playthroughs.

Weapons lack impact too, which is a big sin in fps games.

Yeah. Ziggurat gets most things right except the weapons and they're kind of important for an FPS. They are all basically the same. Hexen and Heretic had interesting secondary fires (through tomes) - in Ziggurat everything is either a machine gun or a shotgun with different projectile speeds and the secondary fire is always "more shotgun" and "more machine gun". It's utterly boring, especially if you've just completed a Hexen/Heretic marathon before and the way to do it right is fresh in your memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The Narrator is awesome, the music is fantastic, deckbuilding your own roguelike is fun as hell. There's a very large amount of reactivity in the text encounters in terms of player equipment and situation.

For example: There's an event in the Jack of Plague dungeon where you are confronted by an angry mob demanding food. You can give them varying amounts of food, or run. If you run you play the card shuffle game that Hand of Fate uses for "random outcomes", but you can still watch the cards and keep track somewhat. But if you have the weapon that can freeze enemies in combat, the text event recognizes that and lets you freeze the angry mob and escape for free. There's a lot of item dependent special actions like that and they're really fun to discover (and you can play around them because you decide what equipment is in your deck).

In terms of Combat, if it wasn't for Shadow of Mordor coming out, Hand of Fate would have been the game that did the Batman combat system best out of all games.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I think it's possible.
Every single FPS-Roguelike hybrid I've seen tries to the Doom-style gameplay for it's FPS part. I think that might be one of the biggest things that prevent FPS-Roguelike hybrids from being enough of a roguelike-like.
What if you don't do that and go the opposite way instead?
For example Crypt of the Necrodancer is an objectively good real-time roguelike and one of the ways it achieves that is by having the gameplay being slow enough to make it possible to make meaningful decisions, which is a life-blood of any roguelike.
So maybe a much slower FPS gameplay, where every action has to be less frantic and more purposeful, would fit this kind of hybrid better?

Now if you go from there I think it should possible to design a game that works in a similar way to more conventional roguelikes.

I totally started writing my post first.

The clear-the-map modes in the Rainbow Six games are basically that, minus progression. Slow paced, ultra lethal, randomly placed enemies and permadeath.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

victrix posted:

I don't like that much either, just like the loot filter coming in PoE, it's tacit acknowledgment that your game has piles of poo poo loot that isn't worth the brain power it takes to parse it.

Solving problems that shouldn't be problems in the first place is a bit... I lack an emoticon for this concept. I'm sure there's a ten consonant german word for it.

Well not really - it's a way to let you get cool drops and also steadily progress in terms of money gained, without the hassle of having to pick it all up manually or juggle inventory weight for trash loot. It keeps gameplay options open (choosing cool loot for your hero, juggling inventory weight for non-trash loot) while dealing with the tedium. If they just cut the loot way down odds of getting something you want are lower and you'd get less money.

Also Dungeonmans - so good, but it really, really needs an auto-explore button.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Yeah that's the lovely part about the Xbox Controller that Microsoft managed to spin into great PR because games media takes anything they say in press releases at face value if it's vaguely about technology.

Windows natively supporting Xbox controllers turned into "Windows has really good built in controller support!", even though what it actually did is provide an easy way for developers to lock out every non-microsoft controller. Gamepad support got worse when microsoft included native gamepad support in windows.

On another controls related note: Hey indie devs: Don't hard-bind your games controls on the Y or Z button just because other indie darlings also do it (because I guess emulating 2-button NES controllers on a keyboard is all the rage now) and put their 2 buttons on Z and X. Z and Y are not in the same place on every keyboard, and in some parts of the world your game is unplayable when you force people to use X and Z.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 10, 2015

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

:wtc: XInput is not without its troubles, but in no way does it "provide an easy way for developers to lock out every non-microsoft controller". An XInput game will work with every XInput-compatible controller, which is most controllers made in the last ~five years -- microsoft-branded or not.

The biggest issues you're likely to run into are either (a) you have an old controller, but want to play new games that only support XInput, or (b) you have a new, lovely controller that only supports XInput, but want to play old games that only support DirectInput. Both problems can be solved by either getting a new controller that supports both, or installing a compatibility shim that makes an XInput controller look like a DirectInput one to older games (or vice versa).

Best case scenario is your game displays meaningless xbox buttons when you're using your non-xbox controller. Worst case is your game displays meaningless xbox buttons when you're using your non-xbox controller and the buttons and sticks are all hosed up. Once in a blue moon you might get a game that can tell the difference between an xbox controller and a non-xbox controller. Having to use third party software to trick games into thinking you've got an xbox controller (and all the trouble that brings with it in regards to displayed buttons, etc) is hardly a good solution or situation.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Again, it's not "an xbox controller", it's "any controller made in the last five years and at least some made in the last 15". If you insist on using decades-old hardware you've got to expect some new stuff won't work right with it without tinkering.

I don't really blame developers of new games for not supporting DirectInput in much the same way I don't blame them for not supporting 3dFX and the Gravis Ultrasound.

Of course I can expect using that hardware, when input devices haven't changed and the only thing that has is that Microsoft wants to push their own product and they happen to have access to the OS driver layer. Joysticks haven't fundamentally changed and neither have gamepads - they weren't replaced with inherently superior technology. Just like I can still use my decade-old CDs and Harddrives.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Dongsturm posted:

I'd be fascinated to know what the proposed solution to this "Microsoft conspiracy" is. Do you seriously expect indie companies to buy like 50 controllers just so they can detect whatever novelty controller configuration you bought off taobao?

Wait, I'm getting a premonition... The answer is going to be "they don't need to support 50, they just have to support mine"

Fully configurable buttons, configurable icon sets. Doesn't even need fully configurable icon sets. 3 would be a good baseline - Keyboard buttons/Xbox Buttons/Generic Buttons (and Playstation buttons if you wanna be fancy). Fairly easy to subdivide those depending on how customizable you wanna go. Lots of Gamepads share certain features, like Dpads or Analog sticks (and 4 Buttons in a cross layout).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 10, 2015

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Geokinesis posted:

:agreed:

I wish there were more card based roguelikes.

Well everything by Cryptic Comet is card based and procedural. If they had enforced perma-death they'd be loose roguelikes. I mean if you like Occult Chronicles, you'll probably love Armageddon Empires (singleplayer only turn based strategy on random maps and it's Warhammer 40k Humans vs Cthulhu Aliens vs Terminator AI Overlords vs Fallout Mutants - in a card and dice based game).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Yeah to make Boardgames. It makes sense, since all his games simulate D6s and Card Decks. I'd love to buy a physical version of Armageddon Empires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

moot the hopple posted:

Imagine trying to keep up your poker face for an entire game if you took Power Behind the Throne.

The trash talk when you insult another player to get them to challenge you.