Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tollymain posted:

with honor, obv
drat, beat me to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Forget to put your cockatrice corpse in a container before dancing with a foocubus.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

By snu-snu.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If anyone doesn't have it, Humble Bundle is giving away Teleglitch for free right now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Does anyone have a working version of Decker? I know it's kind of a terrible game, but it's simple, relatively transparent, and I just reread the LP.

I downloaded the source code from SourceForge (since the creator's site is apparently dead), but when I try to start the Decker.EXE in the /bin directory, I get
code:
Error: Could not load graphics file .\DefaultGraphics\HOME_MAIN.bmp
I'm quite certain the file is there, so I'm a little stumped.

Edit Wait, never mind, figured it out.

So this post isn't completely useless, did anyone ever make any not-atrocious skins?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jackard posted:

I like IVAN, but should you really be recommending it? I wouldn't recommend Nethack either.
Nethack is great just for the cane-shaking you can engage in.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Creativity borne of system limitations is my favorite kind.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I am really bad at this bear game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

hito posted:

Does Nuclear Throne have its own thread yet? Now that there's the daily challenges it's probably worth having one if not.
Same question, but for Necrodancer.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Unormal posted:

An awful lot of it (like ~98% of hundreds of thousands of lines). I had a keyboard and console facade already in place, so I basically just went back behind the scenes and changed it to run the whole CoQ process in it's own thread, which dumps to what it thinks is the regular console/keyboard API, but is really the primary Unity thread sucking that output up and displaying it in a fake console and pumping keyboard commands in OnGUI into a queue in the game thread.

Honestly most of the work was refactoring the rendering pipeline because the mono version that Unity uses has the absolute most atrocious garbage collection implementation and I was getting constant 60ms lag spikes (because my code was often atrocious about generating garbage-per-frame). So it required a big rework to reduce the amount of garbage being generated to get those lag spikes to mostly go away. Most of this work was the result of my rendering pipeline refactor, not due to the actual unity port itself.

Most of the rest of the work was pretty straightforward stuff moving out of the registry/replacing window specific file handling, but it was pretty quick.

Actually refactoring the whole game to run in a single thread in Unity would be a nightmare, because I wrote it with tons of waiting-on-keypresses and other patterns that just don't mesh well with an engine like Unity.
I realize that it's at best a really clumsy metaphor, but I love the mental image of your game being an arcade cabinet, and your Unity coding being building a robot to play the arcade cabinet- with an identical set of controls built into its back, and a little TV screen on the back of its head.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, looks like the rest were grabbed by lurkers. Ah, well.

Thanks, though!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

We should be kind to the international community. Dungeonfrance.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've stayed up all night playing rogue likes before, but last night is the first time I ever stayed up making one.

My stated goals are a low barrier for entry, transparency of mechanics and information, and interesting decisions on the macro and micro scale.

It's running on the very simple "everyone gets so much energy each turn and you can't act until it's filled back up" system that a lot of better games use. Part of the conceit is presenting this mechanic as a "stamina bar" that fills up.

The one major "twist" is that I'm implementing facing, a la FF Tactics. Turning takes a small amount of stamina, so attacking in the direction you're already facing is slightly faster. Incoming attacks from the side ignore shields, and attacks from behind do that as well as doing more damage and knocking off a bit of stamina. The idea is to make positioning very important, and to reward sneak attacks and clever tactics.

My question is this: Am I reinventing the wheel here? Are there other rogue likes that do one or both of these things, but better?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It sounds like I'm doing something at least somewhat unique then.

Now I just need to think of a theme. :negative:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Persian/middle eastern mythology would be cool. I'd need to do a lot of research but oh well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Add me to the "finally caved and bought Dungeonmans" crowd.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bouchacha posted:

That's not the correct notation. You're not taking a percentage of a percentage, you're just rolling twice/thrice and taking the worst of the rolls.
It's kind of counter intuitive (a lot of statistics is) but it's actually correct. Think of it like this. You roll two dice, and if either of them are below your target number, you miss. So you need two rolls with a certain probability of being high. enough. And that's when you'd notate that way.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

"Roll X, take best/worst" has always interested me as a mechanic because I find it really interesting how it barely touches anything that would be reasonably certain before, but the more rare the occurrence before, the more pronounced the effect.

It's especially noticeable on a D20, where the chance of a Nat 20 becomes either 1/400 or (approx.) 1/11, respectively.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I mean, it doesn't even come with 1d3 fire damage and a chance to freeze solid.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It only works like that when you're making yes/no checks. The way it affects e.g. damage rolls is going to be more complicated.
Not really, you just have to treat the damage roll like a really sad bell curve.

Sil using a single uniform die for everything actually makes the math significantly easier. Especially since it's a D10.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You have a 19% chance of doing 1 damage, a 15% chance each of doing 2 or 3 (I think, I am literally doing this mental math while I poop) so on down the line until you hit a 1% chance of doing 10 damage. It's pretty much the same as before.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Got my best Dungeonmans character yet!

And died at level 7 because there were no Adventurous sites left to explore, so I decided to try and tackle a tower.

It... did not go well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ernie. posted:

Anyone have good music recommendations for Crypt of the Necrodancer custom music?

So far I got La Roux's Sexotheque which is amazing.
Anything by Mystery Skulls, though Money and Ghost are both especially good.

(Also, hi, Ernie!)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Am I the only one who thinks that a mobile version of Necrodancer would be loving rad?

The field of view would have to be smaller, but you could have touch things on the bottom for bombs and items, and use directional swipes instead of the arrow keys.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Except the Captain! I think. Kind of. AFAIK you're supposed to lose if your Captain dies but I recently had a game where he got shot in the face by a defense robot and died and the awayteam happily wandered around the planet collecting minerals without him for like three days before it suddenly started raining sulphuric acid and everybody died horribly.
I'm not gonna lie, this story is what sold me on trying this game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Necrodancer might just be my favorite 2014 game period. Everything about it is just so drat clever and the core mechanics are really well put together. (Even if it takes a little while to get used to.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ProfessorProf posted:

Eli was just formally added to Necrodancer, and he's hilariously fun. No weapon, infinite bombs, can kick bombs around the level.
Sadly, they DID think of this before me: Shop walls don't drop any gold when you're playing Eli.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm pecking away at making a pseudo rogue like in Game Maker 8, because I am bad at syntax and paid a lot of money for it a while ago.

But I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone else for that. It's an engine much more suited to platforms and the like, and I've had to do some kinda kludgy nonsense to make it work, but I'm too stubborn to stop trying to reinvent the wheel with a pile of sheet metal.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hooplah posted:

:thurman:

Goddamn this thread is great. I've been following it since its inception, and I think I'm finally ready to go through that libtcod tutorial and get some of this poo poo out of my head. I have lots of Big Ideas about rl design and what's fun that I've never done anything constructive with.

Any of you guys have advice for me as I start out? I have next to no experience with making games, but I work in a cell biology lab designing image analysis/modeling software in matlab so I'm at least familiar with programming in general.
Start small. Get something playable together as soon as possible, even if it's just one static room. You'll feel a lot more like you're making progress that way, as you add more and more on.

And as an added bonus, if you keep that one room around as you expand, you can easily convert it to a debug room.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

yegods posted:

If you have any pointers from what you've learned, I would be happy to see them.
Pointer 1: Game Maker is really weird and stubborn about displaying text without just using the 'write code' function. I've basically had to design my way around a message log-less roguelike, just because trying to get one working was that much of a challenge. If you really, really want to write in Gamemaker, just write in C# or C++ instead, since GML is basically C# with the limbs chopped off and replaced with springs.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I might take you up on that at some point.

Seriously, though, help me convince yegods to not use GM8 to make a roguelike for their first game project,

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MrBims posted:

Gamemaker is really terrible even as just a learning tool, because updates regularly break compatibility. There are a lot of tutorials and examples out there that you can't use without downgrading to specific versions, and techiques you do in a project today might not be applicable in a project you do a year from now.

You'll be putting more effort into trying to finagle Gamemaker to work right than it would take to learn a programming skillset you can keep going back to for years, regardless of the platform.
This is why I use GM8 instead of the new stuff. It's effective enough, and not updated any more. Also, I bought it like two years ago.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

rediscover posted:

i downloaded necrodancer last night. my life is over
1. Expect to die a lot at first, even for a roguelike. It takes a while to for the moving-to-the-beat thing to click, but once it does, you'll find yourself bouncing to the beat almost involuntarily.
1a. Listen to the bassline, not the main instruments.
2. Yes, bats move randomly, but they're not dangerous as long as you're careful, because they only move every other beat. (Except red bats. gently caress those guys.)
3. No good ever comes from moving directly adjacent to a dragon. Let it come to you.
4. If you need to wait a beat, instead of just waiting and losing your multiplier, dig a wall. This is called a 'tactical dig'. It's great.
5. Go for the upgrades from the top-middle shop first. They're permanent. Health, especially, is huge when you're first learning, and that extra heart can be the difference between "close call" and "learning experience".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Unormal posted:

Not quite what I intended, but also not without redeeming qualities:

I'd buy that for a dollar.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I don't know if this is something that would interest you guys, but I made a little pen-and-paper, rules-light roguelike game, and I'd love to get some playtesting from people who have experience with roguelikes, and/or breaking mechanics over their knees.

The Labyrinth of S'xsyde

Edit Updated to version 1.02.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 21, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

This looks really, really neat and I'll probably play it a few times when I get home. Hell, I might tinker with it on lunch break. It's kinda like a procedural Fighting Fantasy book, and I played way too many of those as a kid.

Did you post this somewhere in the traditional games forum? You can get some fantastic feedback in there.
I posted it in the Board Game thread and the Board Game Design thread, and I'm getting some good feedback there (namely, that chest spawns are a little wonky and a little too difficult to open).

Been playtesting the Knight again, and he's rolling over combat encounters, but rapidly gets completely hosed up by traps. Two of my last three tests with him ended on the first floor by falling down a hole and dying. So, working as intended? :confuoot:

Edit Version 1.02, with modified Chest tables and a couple other minor tweaks (including a buff to the armor rules) is live!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 21, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm working on Version 1.03 right now, doing a major overhaul of the tables, and normalizing the difficulty somewhat, as well as improving the formatting of the rules pages. Once that's done, and I've let the ideas get tested a fair bit more, 1.04 will probably mostly be class rebalancing, and then I'll likely put new updates on the backburner for a while. I have some other ideas for similar games that have been coalescing since I started S'xsyde, and I wanna give those a shake, too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

rchandra posted:

Is S'xsyde from "six side" or "dSexy's"?

The game looks neat. Is there any actual maze or can you just decide how much of each floor you want to explore (11-25 spaces, assuming you leave 11 for the way out)?

I think the blacking out rules need fixing: "black out each square in a cardinal direction from all blacked out squares" should probably be "black out each square adjacent to a blacked out square", clarifying "adjacent" if needed.
The former. Six comes up a lot in the rules, too. Six floors, six difficulty levels, six classes (originally), etc.

You can decide. Beelining is the path of least resistance, and is useful if you need the boss-beat HP increase or the stat boost, but meandering around gives better odds of finding chests, if you're confident you can handle the obstacles in your way between them.

I'll rework that whole section, make that clearer.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:syoon:

madjackmcmad posted:

I feel that "cardinal direction" is much more clear than "adjacent", since some readers will wonder if diagonal counts as adjacent. "Black out each square in a cardinal direction from all blacked out squares." is unambiguous.
Welp. :v:

Labyrinth of S'xsyde v1.03! With exciting new features like "intuitive table layout", "competent formatting" and "different opening image". I did a pretty massive overhaul of the Monster, Trap, and Obstacle tables so they're more consistent now, and simplified the HP-gaining rules. The game is a bit easier, but that's what the difficulty slider is for. I think this is going to be the last "main" update unless something major jumps out that needs fixing.

Edit I had a lot of fun coming up with the new trap names, too. The ultimate trap is now The Red Room. :black101:

Edit2 Which is very likely to get its own spinoff game, because it'd be a good way to use all these "make a dungeon to horribly murdercate heroes" game ideas I've got.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

Poison are you cool with this being shared outside of the goon forums? Because it's really neat and I think some Dungeonfans would get a kick out of it.
Go for it! Hell, link me to wherever you post it so I can anonymously lurk and see what people say about my nonsense.