Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

I want to show off something I've been working on for the last month or so: https://hbloom1783.github.io/Athanor/

I've crammed together a sort of roguelike engine in Unity. It's not done, but it's done enough to play this simple game on. The part I think is most unique about what I've built is the three versions I've put up on GitHub; To get from square to hexsquare, I toggled a single flag on my MapController from "Square" to "Hex Flats". To get from hexsquare to hexhex, I replaced the land and water sprites with hex-shaped ones.

There's plenty left to do, but I'm hoping I can stick the source for the engine up on GitHub within the next month or so. I've been amazed at how easy it is to make stuff in Unity; they just don't have good native support for grid-based games!

Just posting to say that this is pretty cool and I'll be following your progress. I've started messing around with unity over the past couple of weeks and have been looking for a way to make a hex-based game. I'm still not knowledgeable enough to start messing with a grid system but it'd good to know that it can be done cleanly with Unity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

The problem with damage reflection enemies is that the intended way of defeating them also kills the pacing and is a pain in the rear end.

Like, in Diablo 2, if you got hit with Iron Maiden all you could do is walk away and wait for it to wear off. In Slay the Spire, if you can't play enough block in a given turn to tank the thorns and attack an enemy, you just pass your turn and do nothing. They always suck.

It rewards damage over time without being a specific vulnerability. It does suck in general but there can be a place for it imo (I thought StS did it well).

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

There are loads of ways, but my goto method is usually to just carry a dagger in my offhand (seriously daggers are crazy good in that game) and throw it to use up the block before I do my hit. Those units don't have great reflexes so as long as it isn't a spear guy you can just advance in, hit, and back out afterward and they won't hit you back*

* as long as you're not also dealing with traps or obstacles or falling in water or enemies behind you or suddenly being blinded or

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Yeah that happens to me periodically but there are generally enough cues that you can figure it out.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

zirconmusic posted:

But it's not a roguelike so not for this thread :F

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Unimpressed posted:

Does 777 mean anything? 'Cause we're on page 777.

nice

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Ignoring the impressive level generation, Unexplored's biggest strength is how scarcity pushes your exploration. Every room contains something that will help you out if you're smart enough to use it, most of those helpful things are consumables (of which you are likely to find a half-dozen or less of a given type in a playthrough,) and there's just enough redundancy with crafting, utility items, copying scrolls, and wands that you're never really at the mercy of RNG. I want to find every puzzle room because it might contain the last life potion I'll ever see.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

OutOfPrint posted:

For the literally no one in this thread who doesn't already have it, Immortal Redneck is in the latest Fanatical bundle in the $4.99 price tier: Alliance Bundle

I'm the guy who didn't have it. Four runs in and I can tell it will give me more than the 7 canadabux i paid for it.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Stark Fist posted:

plugging Golden Krone Hotel again as a good stripped-down roguelike. it's in the vein of DCSS.

I got frustrated and bounced off it pretty hard after playing through like 30 games and dying without ever feeling like I was making decisions. Was I missing something? mostly played as the werewolf dude.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

ecavalli posted:

That’s some impressive turnaround time. So, outside of the usual EA issues, is there any good reason not to pick up Noita?

Sure, go ahead if you don't mind supporting a known ~~~Finn~~~

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

lol that this stupid argument came from DCSS, a game that barely even qualifies as a roguelike!

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Metaprogression is garbage for babies. The original roguelike, Donkey Kong, didn't need it and neither do any of its successors imo.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Spoilered by request

On an 8-win streak in Hades now, and I love the epilogues after you win where they explain Zag ended up dead and back in Hades because he stepped on a rake or ran into a rock face pained to look like a tunnel.

Spoilers work better when you leave the subject unhidden so people can have some way of deciding if they should read it or not.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I got a beta copy of Crown Trick and after two hours, I think I can say that it's going to be good.

It plays like a deeper Sproggiwood, where your opponents' non-bump attacks are telegraphed and the gameplay focuses more on positioning than just getting bigger numbers. You can't save your games right now, which is problematic, but aside from that and some rough translation issues, there's a lot to look forward to in this game.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

I only have one win in Streets of Rogue and I'm pretty sure it was with Cop, because other cops will happily shoot anyone for you.

Sure, but how do they act in the game? :v:

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

if you die in dungeonmans, you die in real life

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Heffer posted:

How does an ostrich even fly a spaceship

very carefully

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I can't fully enjoy a game unless my Ar'tag MaceSinger's "Laceration Wallop" ability properly accounts for his Suppleness stat and not some bullshit fake attribute like Dexterity or Agility.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

that dog is long dead by now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

for the fraiser roguelike i think the casts should be different classes, so during character creation you choose either fraiser, niles, roz, and you eventually unlock bulldog, daphne (focus on pys attacks of course) and martin (who uses eddie as a support)

Don't forget the Cheers! crew (no DLC)