Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Occult Chronicles:

Thief is a pretty great go-to class, but my personal "I feel like winning a game today" build is 2-2-2-3 (3 in pentacles) Professor, bone of pentacles, Mental Fortress (because it helps trivialize horror checks and therefore make you long-term invulnerable to sanity depletion), with Psychic and Athletic skills.

"But that gives you two wand bones!" Yeah, but it also lets you lunge for an early Clairvoyance, which may be the single most overpowered Edge in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Desideratus posted:

Unironically, if you put CoQ on Steam I will buy 10 copies just to pass spares out to friends; It's my favorite roguelike to date.

I'm not sure I'll buy ten, but I might get three plus mine.

(Maybe even during not-sales, although I've given a disgusting number of people Recettear. )

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Bobo the Red posted:

Does CoQ have any tilesets? ASCII burns my brain but the character gen has me so intrigued!

CoQ actually has remarkably well-designed ASCII.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

e: hey Unormal/hand of luke, can I get a definitive answer on how "Qud" is pronounced? My wife and I occasionally do a science fiction podcast and I want to hype your cool game so more people play it and are inclined to buy it on Steam.

Little late, but Kwud.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Skwee posted:

There is a big update for ToME that just came out yesterday I think.
http://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2015/0...t-dust-released

I'm enjoying the Wyrmic revamp.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

Any of these worth a poop? Humble Bundle's having a roguelike sale:

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Delver and Nightmare Cooperative both have their charms. Not sure Delver is $5 of charms.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Mr. Wednesday posted:

There was a study I read, though annoyingly I can't find it at the moment, where players were asked to rate the AI in a FPS game. One AI was rated much higher than the other - the difference between them was that the agent of the highly-rated AI had significantly more HP than the other one. There was no difference in the actual behavior, but the perceived difference in intelligence was quite large. This is a great example of the conflicting goals that often come up between game designers and game players. Game players think they want to play against 'intelligent' opponents, but in reality they often don't, check out Smart Kobolds for a case study in this, as others have pointed out. What they really want is the illusion of intelligent AI. I'd go on about the implications for game developers but I'm a bit too drunk to pull that off at the moment

I'd totally play a horrible ball-crushing expanded version of Smart Kobolds.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'd be in favor of getting into orbit so long as it's via an appropriately badass way. I want to delve into radioactive city ruins, find the nuclear power plant that's the source of the rads, fight my way through an insane cult (preferably composed of sentient badgers with far too many limbs) that's trying to assemble an atomic bomb, kill their leader in a small circular arena that turns out to be the top of a gigantic bullet, then they set the bomb off which fires the bullet up into space.

Why fire a bullet into space? Dunno. My guess is they're trying to shoot down the sun.

It's a pretty good way to get vital data permanently out of reach of the horrible things happening on Earth Qud!

(I hope someone else here has read Hannu Rajaniemi.)

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

victrix posted:

I don't like that much either, just like the loot filter coming in PoE, it's tacit acknowledgment that your game has piles of poo poo loot that isn't worth the brain power it takes to parse it.

Solving problems that shouldn't be problems in the first place is a bit... I lack an emoticon for this concept. I'm sure there's a ten consonant german word for it.

Maybe not, Germans never cause unnecessary problems.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

I've played a bunch of Invisible Inc in early access and it's pretty fantastic. It's balls-out hard sometimes, depending on level generation and the team you're using, but it oozes atmosphere and is fun and challenging.

The woman who can see and access terminals through walls is ridiculously clutch and should be used whenever possible. Deckard is also incredibly good thanks to his cloak and extra movement point. I beat the early access game with them, switched to trying other teams, and just died over and over. They are Extremely Good.

With the release build (now out for everybody!), I'm extremely partial to Sharp (the cyborg) and Banks (free keycard, also a starting paralyzer). Sharp gets crazy when you start piling augments into him.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Inadequately posted:

Unreal World is my perennial favourite and recommendation, it's set in old-timey Finland but doesn't have any fantasy elements, and like Cataclysm the focus is more on survival than fighting.

Technically it has the prayers to spirits, but that is only one itty bitty step up from totally non supernatural superstitions.

Totally fits what the dude is looking for though and is awesome.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

I finally picked up Sproggiwood.

How do (savage) wisp damage auras work? They seem not 100% reliable when they walk up to you, especially if they do so when a Farmer drops a scarecrow.

Also, how does the vampire boss work? I never even saw him, just kept taking damage every turn and died because I didn't have previous floors conducive to getting farmer to lv5.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

hito posted:

Just picked up Renowned Explorers and I'm really enjoying it, seems like the first FTL clone to actually understand the pros and cons of FTL and actively improve on it. Only a few hours in so far but already dig it a lot. It has some polish/communication issues but what day-one indie game doesn't.

It's easily worth $15, imo.

Already got an All Scientist victory. Mostly because the starting scientist leader is arguably the most preposterous in the game.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

LotsBread posted:

It's good. It's like FTL only with more personality and less lovely room management. Also, combat is like the Banner Saga, but heavily modified.

Better comparison: it's the game Convoy wish it could be, I.E, without the lovely pop culture references and bland-rear end factions.

I really like FTL combat though.

I'll totally give it a try anyway.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

The starting cannon is a confuse weapon with a crazy radius (it will mildly hurt friendlies, but won't confuse them). If you catch all surviving enemies in the radius, that's two free turns plus a pretty fair chance of them killing 1-3 of their own buddies.

The one thing I wish I had so far: grid view on all maps. Positioning is so important that it's annoying eyeballing it without a fully visible grid.

Edit: huh, it seems to actually be there, just incredibly faint.

Double edit: by default you get both a weapon and an equalizer from that event.

GreyjoyBastard fucked around with this message at Sep 18, 2015 around 02:44

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Isaac posted:

I want to try cogmind but its website says its 30 bux? Is this correct?

Yes.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

Been playing Bionic Dues and Deadnaut and that's been filling my rogue holes pretty satisfyingly these days. Bionic Dues plays nice on a flash drive and still... lacks cohesion and interesting dungeon design but generates difficult enough scenarios to kill off a coffee break. Deadnaut recently came out with a patch that lets you adjust difficulty and now has unlockable campaign types, but is otherwise very much the same. My dream version of this would be to have actual people to direct from that little console you're stuck behind.

Keep Bzzting And Nobody Ftzes.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Kyzrati posted:

That was one of the ways he justified the decision, yes--they do boxed copies, and paper manuals--but I believe the underlying reason was still about needing money (after getting nowhere on Greenlight for a long while). Publishers willing to front money aren't as common these days, and will naturally lock the dev more tightly into a contract.

Unfortunately, Shrapnel actually do hate money, and would burn me at the stake for being an economist.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

So, before I play Thea:The Awakening,any tips for a beginner?

Early game you want gatherers, later game you want warriors, you will practically always have enough crafters.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Unormal posted:

Happy new year! 2015 was pretty epic for roguelikes. Let's see if we can top it!

Is... is someone bombarding the Six Day Stilt?

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Unormal posted:

Really with all this UI work falling into place, the only thing stopping me from getting Qud onto like iPad Air 2 is not much effort. Everyone's non-rooted Android phone has their max application heap set too low by dumb vendors.

You want to touch it, I know you do.

I would buy it on ipad immediately. Sproggiwood's one of my tablet-gaming mainstays, right up there with FTL.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

UberJew posted:

super

hot

super

hot

super

hot

is not a roguelike, just a good game, but does exactly that

Starward Rogue does the same thing with one of its mechs and is more roguelike-like.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You should crank it up to Savage, then attack some blue slimes. Have fun!

I play nothing but Savage, no regrets.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

This might be a strange question, but: is there an overall goal in Caves of Qud? How's the endgame? I'm not very good at roguelikes so there's a decent chance I'll never see it if I pick it up, but I like knowing there's some overall goal to work towards while playing aside from satisfying my own curiosity.

Also, how complete is it? Will there be updates until the end of time?

There's a main questline that goes considerably farther than you are likely to survive anytime soon, but the main questline is really, really nowhere remotely near complete yet. After that you can wander around the (somewhat less thoroughly fleshed-out) farther fringes of the map and get murdered by random encounters. If you can reliably kill a chrome pyramid, congratulations, you have a thoroughly overengineered rear end in a top hat gimmick build beaten the hardest enemy currently available, with the possible but unlikely exception of some real ridiculous uniques. The fungal jungle (fungle) looks really awesome though, the current main area under construction.

Unormal can probably answer this better, I don't think the roadmap proper has ever been made available to the public.

There's a pretty amazing amount of content already. Easily one of my favorite roguelikes in its current state.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are there any builds that are disproportionately likely to reach the end of the questline, or ones that should be able to but haven't or almost never do?

Always Bet On Esper, imo.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Qudchat: a shiva gunslinger is actually pretty good.

I just hit the jungles. "Oh huh," says I, "I don't remember madpoles being this easy. I can farm them for experience and back away from the pond if things go south."

Now I have no feet.

Edit: the Mayor of Kyakukya just spontaneously exploded offscreen in the center of his house.

5x "bloody Mayor Nuntu stands its ground!" followed shortly by "The human child dies!" Warden Indrix is also now bloodsoaked and patrolling around the village. Oh well, I got the mayor's book!

...And Indrix just murdered another Kyakukya villager. Apparently he's hostile to apes today! Not that it shows up when I look at him. On the plus side I just sold the corpse (ogre ape pelt) to the village merchant for 63 drams.

RIP carapace-horns gunslinger, feared to death by a goatfolk patrol.

GreyjoyBastard fucked around with this message at May 17, 2016 around 19:38

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Absolutely! My favorite find in my playtime so far was a named Snapjaw who was hated by baetyls for disproving a famous theorem. There's a funny story implied there for such a basic enemy, and I love it when games conspire to make non-hand-crafted enemies interesting and fun.

Also, also, the music in this game is incredibly atmospheric. I had to stop playing for a little bit just to listen and soak it in.

They may have reasons to be mad, at least one book implies that irresponsibly committing mathematics can have... consequences.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

My game just froze when I autoexplored into an enemy spacetime vortex.

It flickered "freezing area" and nothing has ever happened again.

Guess I'm turning on autosave now that the vortex threw me back in time from level 17 to 5.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Current main Qud questline clear with an agility mutant. Took me somewhat less than ten thousand tries.

Not sure why Asphodel attacked me. Is Omonporch a holy site for Phyta now?

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

So I thought I'd take a break from Caves of Qud (great game!) and go back to Sproggiwood for a little bit, and I'm tackling the Savage difficulty now, and ye gods. I'm not sure the later dungeons are possible unless you've got weapons that heal you and other normally overpowered items.

That said, I am having a lot of fun - I cleared Ickykolo with all of the classes, and working on the Goatress now and learning to love my farmers and their wonderful, wonderful bombs.

I have never played not-savage.

The real winner for the farmer is actually the scarecrow. Lv3 is completely nuts. Turns the later ridiculous enemies into assets while also making you immune to non-boss damage, more or less.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Sure, depending on how loose you want your definitions to be! The Capture the Flag rogue-like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNRmuM_iwoo

Oh poo poo, I remember that. It was tons of fun.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Unormal posted:

It records anonymous analytics vis gameanalytics.com (you can turn it off in options if you don't want me to spy on your permadeathing)

145,818 total new game starts.

89 completions of "Earl of Omonporch"

I got one!

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Helical Nightmares posted:

Love Aphorisms About Birds. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Qud is the only roguelike that has books that are approaching Elder Scrolls territory.

I always chuckle when I explore the Dungeonmans library and I come across a bunch of 'dumb roguelike ideas' or whatever the phrasing is.

What I really like about Qud's Across Moghra'yi, Vol. III: Oth, the Free City is there are a bunch of terms that as of yet are undefined in Qud. What are these combs? Are they like giant honeycombs cities are built in? What are 'esper-bandits', 'windweirds', and 'void '

Will we eventually see ghost sap in the rust-caves?

Speaking of here is another QUD book. I think this is an older one.

On the Origins and Nature of the Dark Calculus

Oh man I love the Math Book and have pondered doing something with related concepts if Unormal ever releases a mod-friendly iteration.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Unormal posted:

Yeah it's actually pretty moddable but it's not documented anywhere yet. Any of the xml files in streamingassets/base can be modded by putting files of the same name with the new entries in %savepath%/mods/%modname%

and you can add new tiles with images of the right name in the textures subdirectory of your mod. I'll document it in a wiki somewhere someday.

Huh, okay. Very cool.

Maybe I'll poke at figuring out how maps / spawn population pools / quests!? work.

GreyjoyBastard fucked around with this message at Jun 4, 2016 around 05:58

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

yea and sproggiwood was still bad

Sure, if you're from the goatee-and-waxed-mustache universe.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Unormal posted:

Just don't steal. Stealing is wrong.

Actually let me just post a mod removing the chests. One sec. Caves of Qud SURVIVAL MODE incoming.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Unormal: are you planning to go places with the Dark Calculus, or is that just yet another fascinating side-book?

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

I have discovered Duskers.

Wasn't the dev a goon?

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

I am very, very saddened that he didn't keep doing computer board games.

Solium Infernum, some exploits notwithstanding, is amazing beyond belief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Today's Duskers discovery: asteroids break open interior doors attached to the targeted room, not just the airlock.

«2 »