Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm not very good at roguelikes. I've beaten Crawl like, twice, before the death of Stabbing. Dungeonmans looks pretty dope though, kicked over :10bux: that way. I've read the thread and I know Caves of Qud will never get a tileset, but boy, would I like one. :( Is Occult Chronicles worth getting? I like the Lovecraftian kinda background to it, but. I dunno. The post in the OP wasn't wholly glowing. :v:

v: I know. I just want to see my guy being a big turtle merchant with fire hands.

vv: oh dope! Didn't realize there was a demo.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
My favorite roguelike is Mario Bros. They got way too far away from the core mechanics in Super, in my opinion. What were the devs thinking?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
CWOUN is pretty cool. Neat art. Maybe could do with juuuuust a little more explanation at the start. I expect ghosts to be unkillable, and I was dumb enough to not recognize the shop as anything other than background stuff my first few runs. Are there more shops when you get deeper into the caves? I really like the ability to crush dudes by digging over them.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
More CWOUN thoughts: I keep trying to jump on enemies to squash them, which is pretty clearly not working. I can understand wanting to separate yourself from Spelunky, but maybe adding in a key-prompted butt-stomp function would do some good? I wrestle with the controls too much to do any real precision work with the pickaxe. In that same vein, I'm dying for a ledge-cling. Throwing items should at least knock-back enemies a little bit, if not outright hurt them. Mostly, I want tighter controls and maybe a little more music, but as long as we're wishing, I'd like a pizza. :v: It's pretty fun, though! Good little time-waster, and the noise it makes when you pick up gold is like catnip.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Hempuli posted:

Yeah, the "tutorial" was added very quickly because at that point in time I just really wanted to get the game out; I think I'll try adding some more info screens for more specific events. The game area is kinda small so there's only one shopkeeper and he marks roughly the 50% descension spot.

There's actually an item that lets you jump on enemies; I feared the ability might be a bit overpowered, I should probably try giving it to the player from the beginning. The item throwing thing is a great point; I wanted the player to be able to manipulate the items more freely than just dropping & using, but on the other hand there's really no use in being able to throw, say, the blue chest around. I guess having thrown items knock enemies back without damaging might be worth a try!

When you say tighter controls, where do you feel they could be improved? Are they too slippery? Should the player stop in midair if arrow buttons are not pressed? I'm not happy with how imprecise the throwing aspect is so I'm going to tweak that in any case.

I made the musics by myself and this is actually my first time composing! :shobon: Hopefully the two tracks currently in the game are enjoyable enough. Thanks for the feedback.

Is there a way to open up item descriptions? I'm mostly buying based on guesswork, the first couple of times I played. Mostly, I don't like how the pickaxe controls? It's your main defense against enemies, and the swing on it seems a little weird. I also get a little confused about which button activates my item versus which shifts my held item. Maybe layer them on different keyboard layers? Like, one button on W, one on S, one on X? That's probably breaking some sort of video game Geneva Convention, though. I understand you have to assume the player doesn't have any peripherals, but I kind of wish I could play this on a wired 360 controller.

I'm not a dev, though. :shobon: So it's easy for me to mess around and talk about what I would like. The post-mortem screen is pretty good, though. The art and music overall are good, too! No problem.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Adding an easy 'enscribe item' function with your own notes would be useful, as long as it's not really difficult to do / get to. Also, if I zap a wand and that wand shoots a fireball, even if my character's dumb as a rock, he should recognize that this is stick what makes hot explosion.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Turtlicious posted:

2, a System Shock 3, a Warcraft 4, or a new Baldur's Gat.

The gently caress you say?

Man, I love Cave of Qud. Just remembered that I had it installed and burned like three hours trying to figure out what to do. :allears:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I REALLY LIKE CRYPT OF THE NECRODANCER.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
What's that in development game with the phobia mechanics? Like this dude could crack and develop a fear of rats or he could become a RAT DESTROYER. And there was kind of a comic book style?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Some of the unlocks are kind of out there. They're more Acrid-style unlocks than Huntress or Sniper-style, level specific. And two character unlocks are based wholly on the amount of/specific items that you pick up per run. I might recommend just peeking at the wiki.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
> You see before you ZIGGY STARDUST.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Crypt of the NecroDancer continues to own. alt-j is my favorite hard mode.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Our Darker Purpose (which is Binding of Isaac minus poop and plus a Tim Burton aesthetic) finally got built-in controller support. It's a lot of fun.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Bogart posted:

Our Darker Purpose (which is Binding of Isaac minus poop and plus a Tim Burton aesthetic) finally got built-in controller support. It's a lot of fun.

but i should mention that it doesnt update the UI which is frustrating as hell :suicide:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
For what it's worth, I bought my dad an ipad for his birthday and preloaded a bunch of free games onto it and Shattered Planet is his favorite.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

hand of luke posted:

I hope you'll be getting him Sproggiwood soon!

soon as you fuckers release it :bahgawd:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
inormal when is sproggerwood on ios

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
as a communications & pr professional i think you should release sproggimobile and coq tiles to just me

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
We have a Cataclysm thread, I think. Might be better off asking around with those crazy people.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Neat little iOS roguelike called MicRogue. .99 cents USD, pretty charming so far. Climb ten levels and get the treasure. You die in one go, so do most enemies, you can move one or two spaces in cardinal directions, you've got a shield that can take three hits, some enemies make you swap positions with them, some move in diagonals. Kind of cute art style, nice (limited) writing. Doesn't kill music you have playing for its own (pretty decent) music. I like it a lot so far, even if idk if it's gonna replace Hoplite for me.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

doctorfrog posted:

Are there any ads in it? B/c if not, sold.

Nope! Ad-free. Apparently made by just one person. I've made it to the top of the tower to get the treasure but now I have to get down. :v:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

doctorfrog posted:

Bought.

And... there's a graphical bug where it only does portrait style, and only in landscape mode, so it's like playing through a keyhole. Hope it gets fixed soon, looks like a great little five minute game.

What are you playing on? Works fine on an iPhone 5C.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
poo poo, that sucks. Sorry y'all. Didn't mean to lead you astray.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You people have real names? :(

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

On the subject of controllers, if you say you "support controllers" but you only support 360 controllers, I will shiv you.

(Speaking as an owner of a Logitech F310 controller that seems to have been a waste of money judging from recent games)

I'm as little of a fan of monopolies as the next guy, but you probably should've gotten an Xbox 360 controller, bud. :( It's just so ubiquitous.

e: someone make a roguelike out of James Joyce books.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
pleased to announce that i will be writing the Caves of Qud official novelization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Not entirely sure what the update entails, but it doesn't even matter because Red Rogue is, and will always be, freaking awesome:

http://st33d.itch.io/red-rogue

Not sure what's going on here but I'm into it.