Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Any RLs with combat as detailed as DF adventure mode, but with better implemented adventuring/questing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Bouchacha posted:

DF got the idea for its detailed combat from UnReal World.

Yeah but you don't really fight that much in it..

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Bouchacha posted:

That's all true but I don't know of any other roguelike that has a combat system as detailed, do you?

Closest I can think of is maybe IVAN.

No I don't, which is why I asked. I like DF adventure mode because of the combat and the amount of said combat, but the questing system and adventuring isn't as good as I'd like.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
drat, started playing CoQ again, and just start a character, enter the first quest place at red rock and on the first level a regular old scavenger throws something at me that just freezes me solid. Couldn't do anything about it.

Also what do these things mean:

Skwee fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 30, 2013

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Alright thanks. how about the things on the right?

Also having a food problem on my best character yet. Starving with no way of getting food that I know of.

e: actually found a food source. Was previously killing poo poo and hoping my butcher worked, now I am harvesting watervines.

e: then died immediate afterwards to a chaingun turret.

e: I think i figured out what they are, is it indicator of your abilities?

Skwee fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 30, 2013

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Bob NewSCART posted:

Oh really? From the game description it said that True Men were the easy mode starters. I have absolutely no commitment either way, toss me a good mutant started build and I'll put that to work immediately.

Personally I've been having more luck with true humans than I have with mutants. Thinking about making a mutant that can't wear armor though for laughs though. Maybe even make him albino. Naked mutated pale rear end motherfucker runnin around

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
A hulking baboon threw an HE grenade at me. Game over man..

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

2. Don't forget to heal up after encounters! Holding 5 is a great way to die, press 1 (listed as D1 to differentiate from the numpad 1) instead.

Hit `(to the left of 1) is probably better, it will make you wait until you are fully healed rather than just straight up 100 turns of waiting.

Also what does the asterisk next to an equipment slot mean?

Skwee fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 31, 2013

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Well I just ran into a seriously hosed up situation.. I can't get to the second level of the rust caves because a slumberling is on the staircase below me.. There is also a slumberling on the first level, it says it is impossible difficulty, so I left it the hell alone. First time I've seen those guys.

e: okay so I just kept hitting go down and eventually it died.. Guess it didn't wake up.. Sweet 525 xp pinata.

Skwee fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 31, 2013

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Unormal posted:

That means it's a primary slot. Which means you always attack with it for melee attacks, and various armor mods count for other slots. Typically you just see it on your right hand, but you can also see it on your primary head if you have two heads, etc.

speaking of two heads, would having a gas mask on your primary head be enough, or do you need one on both heads for it to help

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

lordfrikk posted:

I haven't played for some time but slumberlings were diehard fuckers, better not to press your luck next time, to be honest.

There was no other way for me to progress the game that I know of. I even threw two grenades at the stairwell in order to try and help kill it. No idea if they actually damaged it at all though.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Protocol 5 posted:

As far as I know, the only way to repair rusted or broken items is to use Fix-It spray, which is pretty rare. Unless it's something totally badass, then you're better off just buying something to replace as said above.

Is that the use of that? As I have yet to use that item, the description made me think it was to regrow a limb or some such thing due to the fact that it says not to use it on a heart. Maybe the description could be better..

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

So this thing in the block of ice was a few spaces left and down from where the ice block is, and he shot a freezing shot at me, which I moved out of the way of and then he teleported into his own shot and froze himself.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Quidnose posted:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon?

That reminds me I was wondering if there was a game like pokemon with the combat system like it is and loads of monsters to catch/train etc, except if one of your creatures died it was gone for good. I mean I guess you could do that with pokemon by just not using a pokemon once it has died, but, Pokemon isn't for PC.

I think I saw a streamer doing what I mean, although I only watched for a few minutes so I am not sure if that is what he was doing or not, but when two of his pokemon died he put them both in the PC, so I assume that is what he was doing.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Eschatos posted:

So basically Darkest Dungeon?

Yeah that is what gave me the idea, but afaik darkest dungeon doesn't have a ton of different units, and I am not sure if you collect them

e: i mean it didn't give me the idea, it assisted in the idea generation, since at the time of watching someone play it I had been thinking about wanting to play pokemon again

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Not exactly what you have in mind(closer to Dragon Quest: Monsters hopped up on all the finest of drugs and steroids than pokemon), but Siralim is at least something strongly heading in that direction and is on the cusp of a crazy huge update that should make for about as fine a time as any to jump in: http://www.siralim.com/

They are also super good about keeping their free demo version up to date.

Hmm, I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Anyone have some basic tips for ToME, I feel like I am stuck dying around lvl 10 or sooner every time, which means I am doing something wrong.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
I play ToME by hitting Z and then fighting everything. Maybe thats why I don't get very far.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Goodchild posted:

I don't use any addons, I always assumed they broke achievements (I don't know if that's even true), and I am an achievement whore.

There are 1386 achievements in ToME.. unlocking a higher difficulty version of an achievement doesn't unlock the lower difficulty version of it..

I wonder if anyone has all of them.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
"4999 players unlocked: Cosmetic: Female dwarves facial pilosity"

This is one of the bottom 4 least earned unlocks, but I have it somehow.. I remember when I got it, but I am not sure exactly what I did to get it.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Roll a Corruptor, you'll probably do okay. (On Normal, anyways.)

I don't think I have that class unlocked

e: just started a doombringer and on searing halls or w/e the place you start in I ran into a lvl 30 dude while I am lvl 2. I think it was because I activated some statue, but drat I dunno, I ran away though to the next level haha.

Skwee fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 6, 2015

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Yeah I tried it out after someone mentioned it in relation to my idea of permadeath pokemon type games, and from what I played it didn't even have permadeath, and when all your monsters did die, you just get teleported back to the main room or some poo poo and you get to play some more with all your monsters back to being alive. Also after every battle everything gets healed up. So I mean it wasn't really what I was looking for, but others may find it fun.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
There is a big update for ToME that just came out yesterday I think.
http://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2015/03/news/tales-majeyal-130-aka-dust-dust-released

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Where can I download qud? Link isn't in the OP anymore, which is where I thought I found the download before

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Helical Nightmares posted:

The cute Fisher Price graphics and Saturday morning cartoon sound effects belie how badly you are going to get your poo poo wrecked.

I just saw this quoted by someone (I think it was Unormal) on twitter being re tweeted by someone I follow (A let's player I've watched for ages) like an hour ago then I came in here and saw it here too. Weirded me out to see that connection happen out of nowhere, although he does do a lot of roguelike gameplay stuff.

Robot Randy posted:

gaijin shouldve set norway and spain to appear 3x as often as the other rb maps to spite the mongs complaining about AB maps

I think you meant to be over here

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Level scaling isn't really a bad thing in my opinion unless it affects paltry targets as well such as rats or snakes or small animals like that. The player should be skillful enough or big enough to easily destroy or step on little creatures. When it comes to intelligent creatures with weaponry, and armor, and combat knowledge, it is something to think about. Like do you want the player to become a simulated "skillful" combatant against creatures as you gain experience, or do you want the player to experience the sort of combat a common "regular" person would experience, which is having a great struggle where it is not a simple matter of just stabbing your opponent and moving on. Real things fight for their lives, and if they are smart they wouldn't just let you stab them. Leveling and progression is nice since it allows you to have more tools at your disposal, but should it affect the "simple" attack sort of damage as much as a weapon would for example?

It's like in some games your character is the skillful one, and in other games the player is the one who has to be skillful.

There's a lot to consider I think, and it is nice that different games have different takes on it.

It is a pretty complicated thing though, I've not even really scratched the surface, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Justin_Brett posted:

I picked Sproggiwood back up after a little while, and is there any way to kill the black slimes in Ghostfen permanently? Just seems like they divide infinitely.

I think you step on their ground goop twice to make it go away? Not positive. I haven't played in a while

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
jef is streaming some coq on twitch right now. always entertaining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

omeg posted:

Hey, got one of the steamcoq keys that were posted there :v:

I wonder what this is... :catstare: Haven't played in years so I don't remember prices, maybe some laser rifle?

Trees are people too! :

Oh poo poo there were keys posted? drat