Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Desktop Dungeons can't be praised enough.
I've been in the beta for a long time but stopped playing at some point to experience the full product once it is done. It also has the potential to become the perfect tablet game, and since they do save syncing across platforms I don't feel like holding off as I did with FTL.

It's the most distilled resource management part of roguelikes there is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Ok ToME, what are you doing?

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Corridor posted:

Shame all the characters in that game are so loving ugly I can't stand looking at them long enough to play

Just play the original Knytt, or Knytt Stories. They are still amazingly beautiful games.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Yeah I agree. The character designs really suffered when Nifflas moved to higher resolution art. NightSky works because it's just a ball. :shrug:

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

My biggest problem with these is that Doom / Heretic / Hexen feel 100x better, and have so much unplayed high quality content that a roguelike FPS would really have to break the mold to have any kind of staying power.

Spire is more Quake than Doom and even then more Defrag than Quake 3 from what the devs have said. A lot more focus on movement. I don't think it sounds much like a roguelike though. More like Dustforce in 3D with procedural levels, which still sounds great and I'm incredibly excited for it.