Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I have another semi-popular roguelike that I think everyone should try, given the chance.

Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer

Genre: Turn-based RPG
Graphics: SNES-era JRPG style pixel art
Platform: SNES (Japan only), DS

Let's Plays:
None that I know of.

Forks: Not a fork per se, but two sequels, one on N64 (Japan only) and one on Wii. Neither are considered as good as the original.

Shiren the Wanderer is a Japanese roguelike by Chunsoft, best known in the states as the makers of the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series. It's heavily inspired by Nethack in terms of dungeon layouts, shop layouts, item types, and so on, but has a lot of unique elements too. The main quest spans 30 "floors" which represent a quest from a starting village to the top of Table Mountain. Unlike most traditional roguelikes, permadeath does not mean the loss of all progress: quests completed remain completed and items stored either in warehouses or in storing jars will remain. However, you will regress to level 1 and return to the starting village with each death. In addition to the main quest are small side quests to be completed, bonus dungeons after completing the main dungeon, and the Puzzle Dungeons, small one-floor dungeons each designed with a specific trick necessary to beat it.

The Nintendo DS version is the only version of the original game to make it out of Japan. It's notable for its rescue system, in which good runs can be saved by other people doing rescue runs via a password system. Do note that a given incarnation of Shiren can only be revived once, however. The DS version is also easily the best roguelike on the system and, in my opinion, the best portable roguelike period. It's got the difficulty and strategic depth of a classic roguelike, the progression of a JRPG, and some of the best art, music, and sound of any roguelike ever.

Seriously, go track down this game and play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Ok fair enough, Shiren is part of the Mystery Dungeon series which is enormous. I more meant to say that there's no direct spin-offs of Shiren itself other than its two sequels.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Brogue is fun and all but I'm not sure I've ever played a game of it that didn't just end with me on fire.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

WaterIsPoison posted:

I fail to see the problem here. :colbert:

Sometimes I'd like to dissolve in acid or be murdered by an out-of-depth monster thank you very much :colbert:

quiggy fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 7, 2013

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Singleplayer Offline Dungeon Arena

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Tollymain posted:

Man, I am Not Good at Brogue :saddowns:

On the plus side, those fire mechanics are great :allears:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Sleepy Owl posted:

I've been waiting for an excuse to post this. Everyone is vomiting, on fire, and beating the crap out of everyone.

If I was the OP I would just replace the entire Brogue entry with this picture.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

First-person procedurally generated shooter with Minecraft-inspired graphics and a plot loosely based on H.P. Lovecraft.

:wow: that is indie as gently caress

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jordan7hm posted:

:siren:Thread Contest:siren:

Well poo poo, might as well waste a little time and write another one of these :v:

FTL: Faster Than Light (thread)

Genre: Real-time-with-pause spaceship simulator
Graphics: Simplistic but very nice lo-fi pixel art
Platform: Windows, Mac, Linux, :steam:
Let's Play: Forks: None, some small mods are available and an expansion is inbound.

FTL is, according to its developers, a "roguelike-like". While it might not strictly fit the definition of the roguelike genre, it is heavily inspired by it with features such as surprising strategic depth, punishing difficulty, and permadeath. You play the captain of a spaceship with sensitive documents vital to the survival of the Galactic Federation, on the run from the approaching Rebel fleet. At the start of the game you select one of a number of unlockable spaceships with different layouts and subsystems and must survive to the end of the game and defeat the Rebel mothership to win. The game puts a large emphasis on balancing the energy usage of different subsystems, so if you've ever wanted a game where you can say "divert power from the weapons to the engines!" you can do just that in FTL. In addition to blowing up the enemy ship with lasers, you can also attack them with drones, board them with your own crewmembers, set fire to their ship, disable their own subsystems or flee deeper into space.

The game is notable for having many ways out of a bad situation. For example, many players prioritize improving the doors on their ship to delay boarding parties from reaching critical subsystems. In that time other doors and airlocks can be opened to expose the boarding enemies to the void of space, killing them without having to endanger your own crewmembers. All crew are randomly generated, develop skills and experience as they perform tasks around the ship, and are lost permanently when they die. The game does occasionally offer new members, but a team of veterans is always preferred to a team of rookies.

It is worth noting that the game has received some criticism for being overly random. While very, very good players can usually mitigate the randomness and win a good percentage of the time, expect many times to be screwed over entirely by the RNG before getting a handle on the game's many complex features. This is especially notable when it comes to unlocking ships, which often rely on very rare events that are difficult to execute properly. That said this is an excellent game, well worth the cost of entry to experience a unique twist on the standard roguelike formula.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Zombie Samurai posted:

An ASCII mode for Dredmor would be both hilarious and practical.

If they weren't hard at work on their next game I could totally see Gaslamp releasing a tile pack that just replaces all of the graphics with pictures of text :allears:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Space Bat posted:

Dredmor might have some charm and nice art but I'd say to anyone who's new to RLs to try Crawl.

I realize I'm the game's biggest fangirl ever but seriously anybody looking to get into roguelikes should hunt down the DS Shiren the Wanderer, it has everything you could possibly want from an introduction to the genre.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Space Bat posted:

Eh, Shiren is a good mystery dungeon game but I think a great newbie roguelike is Powder. That's what got me first interested into the genre, it's not too complicated and has a lot of the aspects of more complex roguelikes without getting too complicated.

What I like about Shiren, especially as an introductory roguelike, is that it's hard but not punishingly so. The more you play it later runs will get just a little bit easier as you unlock warehouses and NPCs and such. It's still not easy, not by a long shot, but being able to say "well at least I made Pekeji a little stronger this run" makes you feel less like you were just wasting your time next time you get eaten alive.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

andrew smash posted:

So i picked up dredmor in the recent humble bundle. i see why it's so popular, but gently caress is it slow. You can crank up the animation speed at least, but the progression itself is such a loving slog. Does the "no time to grind" option increase XP gain and limit level size? if so I might have to give it a shot.

This is my big problem with Dredmor. It's a fun game with surprisingly deep systems but goddamn dying on the fourth floor or whatever just makes me not want to restart like I would in most other roguelikes. If they ever make a sequel to the game I hope the floors are much smaller but the dungeon deeper.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

WaterIsPoison posted:

What's up, Oryx-tile dev buddies?

Just putting it out there that I love the lighting in this. Combined with the very lo-fi graphics it looks very mysterious and dangerous.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Baroque, a weird as hell game that started on Saturn and got ported to PS2 and Wii later, had a system where you find "consciousness orbs" throughout the dungeon that you can each throw a single item into that will be transferred back to town for use of a new character when you die.

Baroque is also incredibly difficult and alienating to first-time players so I really don't recommend tracking down an old copy. The monster designs are loving awesome though.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

How to enjoy Shiren the Wanderer: do not grind. Start at the base town, do a puzzle, grab a riceball, and head for Table Mountain.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Potsticker posted:

Most people find straightforward mazes boring and tedious to navigate so hopefully your combat is interesting and takes advantage of positioning and the tight, twisting passages of the maze.

Even with something as simple as ranged combat, greater miss chances the more dark a target square is, and enemies that do more than just seek the player and I can see it working.

I think a lot of the hatred of maze levels in roguelikes comes from Gehennom in Nethack, where there are just tons and tons of nearly-identical maze levels. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the idea of a maze level in a roguelike, but at the same time I think anybody who wants to add mazes to their game needs to take a serious look at what people don't like about Gehennom and try to avoid all of that.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Wait...they're making a roguelike named Crawl? But the name's already taken!

I'm proud to announce my new roguelike A Dungeon of Majesty, spiritual sequel to the cyberpunk roguelike 'Net Hacking.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Potsticker posted:

Permadeath and randomized locations would be killer for Dark Souls.

Random locations for Dark Souls would be terrible. The locations in the game are all incredibly well thought-out and loop back around on themselves in intricate and organic ways. You'd be trading a huge amount of the intricacy and focus of the game if you turned it into a true roguelike.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jeffrey posted:

Oblivion had random dungeons, right? I don't know about Skyrim. Either of those with dark souls combat/mechanics would have made them 10x the game.

Neither game had randomized dungeons, although Oblivion certainly felt that way since only one guy designed them from a limited set of dungeon rooms. Skyrim did have some random sidequests and could dynamically assign unused dungeons to those quests, but the dungeons themselves were not randomized.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jeffrey posted:

The RNG should be about adapting to what you get, not whether you live or die given "perfect" play. Good roguelikes don't just randomly kill good players because they were stubborn enough to hit play game. Crawl does this just fine and that's the standard to which others should be held.

We're still talking about FTL, yes? I think the game's randomness should be compared to Nethack: a good player can mitigate the randomness and win 90% of the time, while a bad or average player still struggles with the ways the RNG can gently caress you over. Everybody who's played Nethack for an significant length of time has a story about that time a goblin on the first floor picked up a wand of death and killed them on turn 5, and FTL is no different in terms of the bullshit it can pull on you. It's not a perfect game, but I think its randomness hearkens back to an older form of roguelike before devs were really concerned with trying to make each and every game winnable.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Zombie Samurai posted:

This just makes me think that FTL's design is flawed. Why would the optimal strategy be to neglect your defenses, get shot up, and leave your life support off in a starship survival game? It's completely counter-intuitive.

Focusing too much on one thing can lead to problems down the line. This is hardly a unique mechanic to FTL.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Zombie Samurai posted:

I'm not talking about having 4 shield pips or whatever. I'm talking about not having enough defenses to avoid damage and not having enough power to run your O2 during fights being optimal play.

You run a risk if you do things like turn off your O2 during a fight though. Yeah you get extra power to run other stuff, but at the same time you're slowly depleting your crew of oxygen. If the fight takes a long time they can start to suffocate and if something happens to the O2 system or your hull is breached you can run the very real threat of asphyxiating before you can fix the problem.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jack Trades posted:

Wait, why not? Wouldn't it be a good thing to get rid of all crew on the flagship or am I misunderstanding something?

If you kill every crewmember on the flagship, a very aggressive AI takes over. It's to stop people from cheesing the victory by killing everybody in phase 1 and auto-winning the next two phases.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

It's worth noting that AE makes the fight much harder in that phase 1 gains a Hacking drone which can really ruin your day depending on what it hacks, and phase 3 gains a Mind Control system. In addition, if you're playing on Hard, the middle two weapons rooms are connected to the main body of the ship, meaning that so long as anybody lives in the main body they can repair the triple missile system.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Relin posted:

What roguelites are similar to Rogue Legacy in that there is still a system for character advancement outside of what is limited to your character's lifespan?

Shiren the Wanderer is like this although it is a proper roguelike, you unlock new helpers/side quests/items in warehouses and so on as you play the game.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Michael Jackson posted:

hmmm, when can i get coq?

I've found late Friday nights as the bars are closing to be a good time.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Dairy Power posted:

And 100% with you on Dredmor.

Dredmor would be one of my favorite roguelikes if the No Time To Grind mode was balanced properly.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

TOME is $1.40 on Steam right now. Worth it or no?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Alright, thanks for the advice guys :)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I just bought ToME. What should I know going into it that lots of Crawl/DoD/Shiren hasn't taught me?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Johnny Joestar posted:

check the goon thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3604865

also, edit the file that unlocks all the classes/whatever for you, there's literally no reason to have them blocked off the way they are

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

First, lots of classes and features in ToME are hidden behind unlocks. Use a mod http://te4.org/games/addons/tome/ignore-raceclass-locks or .ini file edit (check my post history) to bypass them.

For broad, philosophical differences: compared to the games you mentioned, ToME's philosophy is to give the player outrageously powerful tools, hordes of weak enemies to use them on, and occasional rare or boss monsters that use (many of) the same skills and abilities available to players.

Dying to attrition is much more unlikely than in Crawl, but instead what usually kills you are bursts of massive damage (compensated for early game by stacking +life items, and lategame with resists and class-specific damage mitigation abilities) and status effects (compensated for with wild infusions, which remove a single status effect with some limited control over what kind gets removed, and later on by achieving 100% immunity to the worst ones via gear.)

There's no food clock, no identification game, no consumables, and abilities are all governed by cooldowns (and also by resource management, but for most classes this just prevents you from fighting indefinitely without needing to teleport away and/or recharge yourself somehow).

The starter quest for most classes sends you to two of the tier 1 / starter areas and then sends you straight to the tier 2 dungeons. However, there are a total of six starter dungeons, and if you don't feel totally confident against the threats you're facing already, you may wish to do all of them. Even if you don't do every single one it's a good idea to start with Trollmire and Norgos's Lair because they usually only have melee enemies. (The exception is if they spawn with their alternate layouts -- Trollmire can be a swamp instead of a forest, and Norgos's Lair sometimes has ice elementals which means it's the alternate.)

Oh hey didn't realize there was a thread for this, thanks. Also that's a lot of useful info. I probably won't bother to unlock the .ini file, at least not yet, but it's good to know that it's easy to do.

Also no food clock? Yessssss

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Isaac posted:

Definition should be "3 different commands for every single key on the keyboard"

Truly Vim is the greatest roguelike.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

It's also worth noting that there are two different kinds of hypothetical "perfect algorithm" for beating a game like Slay the Spire: algorithms that can beat a single pre-specified seed, and algorithms that maximize win rate across all seeds. In the StS community there are several known impossible seeds (usually ones that make you fight a regen Lagavulin before you have the damage to push through it) but outside of that there are almost certainly seeds that a specialized algorithm can beat but a high-quality generalized one would not be able to.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Unrelated to that, I've been playing a lot of Darkest Dungeon 2 and have been really enjoying it for what it is, a Slay the Spire-alike that replaces a card game with Darkest Dungeon's turn-based combat system. Are there any other roguelikes out there that use a similar structure with a turn-based RPG as the individual encounters? I think it's an interesting concept with a lot of potential and would love to see other attempts at it.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

HopperUK posted:

There's a romhack of Pokemon Emerald that makes it into a roguelike structure that might be of some interest.

Huh, neat. I'll check this out :)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Does the OP still update with effortposts? It's definitely worth one.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Snooze Cruise posted:

where is the riichi mahjong roguelike...

It's in FFXIV, also, it's not a roguelike

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Two, you forgot peaches

Herbs also give you a small amount of fullness. It's not much but if you're starving it can save you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Well it's great, so