Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I love roguelikes, they're pretty much my favorite genre. I first started with the original rogue when I was like, ten, it was hosted on this lovely flash game website and from there my next love was ADOM, which I've still yet to beat. After that I stumbled upon the massive world of roguelikes, from the older tome(and the dragon ball z module that came available with it) to DoomRL(My first win, and first 'perfect' win, at least on normal)

Then I found the rogue temple and moved on to a plethora of tinny and smaller 'roguelike' games. Spelunky is one of my favorites, along with Rogue Survivor which is a fantastic zombie game.

Is it cool to do write ups for the lesser known and smaller titles for the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Tryign to find an old roguelike I kind of enjoyed/hated. You started in a small room, it's action based, the world is randomly generated room with power ups, your primary attack is this charging bar that when you press, expends the bar and launches a circle attack out from your character destroying whatevers around. The goal is to take out these shrines I think? There's endings for clearing every room instead. Very coolish atmosphere.

Whenever I hear the name Transe- Meritous nevermind.

That game is pretty messed up.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Sil is awesome, I just found a shortbow that fires glowing arrows and have a badass battleaxe that deals extra damage to trolls. It feels so First Age.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
My favorite aspect of roguelikes is discovery, whether it be of a unique boss or a unique item. I like discovering a cool artifact, like in DoomRL when my dual-pistol character found the Grammton Cleric pistols. That was neat as hell.

I think Angband goes a little overboard, hmph, another legendary sword adourned with silmaril's, pass, it only has +10 speed!

The longest single session I ever had was Crawl, almost my first and only win, something like 18 hours on a KoBe.

I also crave novelty so I get bored of games fairly quickly when they stop surprising me. Games like Risk of Rain/Spelunky/Binding of Isaac's main draw is the sheer difference of each run based on my 'luck' and what I find.

Also those are roguelike, but Risk of Rain is not as roguelike, but Rogue Legacy is not very roguelike at all.

The criteria for this qualification is long and largely arbitrary.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

madjackmcmad posted:

I'm in!

Meritous
Cost: Free download

Genre: Monochrome Exploration Bullet Hell Adventure
Graphics: yes
Music: Synthy 16-bit era chip
Platform: PC

Forks: None

On the outer fringe of the Roguelike ecosystem, Meritous has a massive (seriously look at that map) procedural dungeon with lots of baddies and limited continues. You have one interaction with the world: hold space bar to charge up a circular blast, let go to fire. Holding it longer increases the range, damage, and recharge time. That's it. Run around this bigass'd dungeon collecting crystals, upgrading your weapon and a reflective shield, finding teleport markers and compasses that lead you to the next boss or critical piece of plot loot, and dodge tremendous clouds of bullets, lasers, and bouncy stars.

Fast paced and simple, with a cool visual and audio style that does a better job setting the mood than you'd think. Enemies are very creative and get tougher as you progress, world pickups evolve your character slightly with such abilities as being able to see how many baddies are in the next room. You have a set number of lives, when they're out it's game over. You can reload your save, but you have the same number of lives as when you saved so if you get down to 1 left and have made no real progress, you're probably better off starting over.

Meritous is a palette cleanser, a great little game that can get you thinking about just how much room for variety and creativity there is in the genre.

I wasted a whole afternoon to this goddamn game. gently caress the true ending.

edit:it's a fun game

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Let's contribute!

You Only Live Once

Genre: Fantasy
Graphics: Bright Standard Roguelike
Platform: Windows, Mac, Linux

Forks: None

You Only Live Once is a 7 Day Roguelike made by Jeff Lait (Creator of Powder among other things that I really love. There's absolutely nothing random about the game or combat, everything is tactical and understanding enemy moves makes it possible to avoid damage from almost everything.

It's a really cool little game largely due to the atmosphere and story. You start as a small boy named Timmy who decides to shirk his responsibilities and go play in the cave in the woods, all set in a village faced by a mysterious famine. The gameplay is really cool, as you explore the levels of the cave death is just a little slip up away, and that's where the game starts to show.

There are multiple endings depending on how many times you avoid death. The game takes less than 20-30 minutes to beat and losing is hard, but how well you win is the real goal.

With the combination of unique mechanics, shortness and an effective story based on those mechanics I really recommend You Only Live Once.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Decided to try a few more games and maybe write them up. Anyone know how to start Sword in Hand, I'm in the castle and I leap over the porticullis but it won't let me leave? I've spoken to everyone

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
If you only have like 3 fingers I can see how a controller would be an advantage, otherwise keyboard will do just fine

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Corridor posted:

Not too many games where you play an rear end kicking shrine maiden, shame Fujo sounds so empty

You're absolutely correct

(there are also roguelikes apparently?)

Dungeons of Endless is pretty neat, it's kind of empty right now, so I hope that development adds some depth. Getting additional characters is so potent it can pretty much make a run right now.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

andrew smash posted:

there's the angband forums too.

And then Temple of the Roguelike

Anyone have some basic quick tips for Sil? I've been steadily getting a bit further each run but it's starting to cap out, enemies are just too hard to kill and too many of them. Apparently ALL THE ARMOR is kind of a bad thing.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Tome 235, I always have weird display errors where it won't update where my character is properly. I read a fix somewhere a bit ago but can't find it. Anyone know how to fix?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
TELEGLITCH IS loving AWESOME!

Sorry, I uh. I really enjoy Teleglitch. A lot. I lost an entire day to it, but I'm weird in that the effects were just really cool. Gunfights being disorienting when sustained just seemed to really flow with the whole product, it's disorienting in hectic fights because it should be?

Not to come off as "it's broken THEMATICALLY" but yeah, I can't recommend that game enough if you can stand to play it.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I'll also chime in and point out Teleglitch constantly crashed for me. (Yes, the Steam build.) I'd try taking any single teleporter out of level one and it'd crash every time.

This was sort of miserable given the permadeath nature of the game.

Eesh, that's rough. Anything on the steam forums regarding that?

Also as a note, it's quasi permadeath, levels have checkpoints as you progress so if you fail on x level you can jump in there with reasonable loot.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It doesn't up the item drop rate, though, so you'll have worse gear and you'll never get enough ingredients to craft anything worthwhile.

It seems to be a bit more generous with good loot in my experience, it's where I netted my first victory, fifteen floors and all.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

I bought Dredmor and then put off playing it until they fixed all the crash bugs and save corruption.

Except they kinda never did and now they're working on a different game.

Oh weird. I actually haven't encountered anything like that lately.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Numeron posted:

As Im sure many of you are aware, the 7 Day Roguelike Challenge is just wrapping up this weekend. My previous three games from years gone by have been exceptionally well received, and I think this year is going to be another good one.

I present to you - Hellspace - Download here.

You've been called in to manage something of a situation at the Lazarus corporation's research and development space station. At the space dock they pretty much have poo poo under control. (Note the curved section! That was my new tech focus for this challenge, but it unfortunately didn't get into map generation a lot)

Digging the squidi tilesets. I'll have to check this out.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I finally get Tome. Started playing a long time ago and just didn't get it, I'd wander around killing very easy enemies then once in a blue moon just get decimated in one shot by a random lightning monster then I finally started understanding infusions and survivng long enough to start exploring and unlocking things. It's not my favorite roguelike by any means, but it kept me up until 6AM so it's not bad.

Gonna try out Archmage :D

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Rogue's Tale is definitely a meaty game primed to get meatier still now that it has landed on Steam and will hopefully get some serious traction---very "classical" in the Roguelike machinations while still shooting for a good deal of flavor.

Looks like it is still a little ways off until the next substantial update, but the game is already at a fairly mature state considering how long it has been in development prior to getting Greenlit.

Seemed a lot like roll dice death, roll dice win like very bad roguelikes. A lot of doomed games, especially with trap nonsense.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I think FTL is a lot less chaotic and rng based then people like to admit. There's a lot of ways to mitigate risk and still be able to win by the end of the run, there's so many decisions an possibilities it feels chaotic, but I think it's still quite controllable.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

Starting as an elf wizard I started in a room with one door, opened it to find it blocked by a hobgoblin. I then miscast my only spell 3 times in a row and it hit me with a club and killed me in two shots without me ever seeing a single item or weapon.

Wizards don't count jerk.

god

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Harminoff posted:

Rogue Shooter is out on steam. Anyone playing?

Me, it's okay. The unlock system should be during rounds, not just after. And it's LONG.

But worth the price of admission if you like old era shooters.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Yeeeey! Congratulations! :)

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I just picked up Hoplite as well. I'm really bad at roguelikes, so it's fun to have one I can actually win regularly. I've only gone a couple of levels past the fleece so I don't know what else there is to find.

Achievement, no kill runs, etc.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

tinkerttoy posted:

What good roguelikes are there for Android that aren't Hoplite or Pixel Dungeon?

Uhhhhh.

There aren't really many good roguelikes, what kind of roguelikes do you like?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

andrew smash posted:

If you decide to play it turn on no time to grind, it shrinks the maps to a (more) tolerable size

That and speed up animation with the '-' key. or was it +.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
The greatest roguelike of all time is Toejam and Earl and anyone who disagrees is a weiner.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Black August posted:

It's in the game as a complete set of expanded content. It can be optional as it likes, but the requirements for it should not be random loot drops. That's bad design, period.

I think there's room in a game about weird secrets for a ridiculous obtuse ending with arcane requirements. I think it's cute design. Not the type of ending I'd go for, but a thing I'm glad exists.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

madjackmcmad posted:

Yeah, for optional endings aimed at the hardcore, waiting on random drops is perfectly acceptable. Totally different if we're talking about main quest progression.

I think less for the reasons that it's hardcore and more that it's obtuse, I mean. How does someone even learn this is possible? I assumed spoilered.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

ExiledTinkerer posted:

The Corruption mechanic has been tempered quite a bit by Appearance now becoming a stat that matters to resist it in all forms, plus freaky stuff like the Chaos Knight Class.

I really do think ADOM is "getting there"---a whole heap of accessibility and whatnot should be well situated by the time they land on Steam and so long as the team follows through on that and the remaining new quests and whatnot. The dev gap of several years really did some stagnation damage, but drat it all if the lot of them haven't managed to make great strides in all aspects since the crowdfunding gambit actually worked out.

I need auto explore or I just can't play :C

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

..btt posted:

Auto-explore really isn't much use unless you have sprawling, cavernous, relatively empty maps like crawl. Besides, without many interconnected paths through levels auto-explore is far more likely to put you in a position you cannot escape from. That said, if that feature is a deal breaker to you, you probably won't like adom much anyway. It's very much an older generation of roguelike, and its design philosophy is quite opposed to crawl's. The 1.2.0 changes haven't done anything to affect that.

It's actually the roguelike that got me into them in the first place. If you don't count the original rogue I played on this flash website when I was a kid. I never beat it but it always holds a place in my heart. The truth is the first bit of the game is dirt easy and save for a few floors, auto explore would be a huge boon to those areas.

That said I've been digging back into it. Any general tips for success?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
In DotE never not explore everything. Rush to find crystal room then use your head, stop if you're finding it too hard and make a rush to crystal room.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

It's kind of a weird and addictive mix of roguelike, RPG and cookie clicker with randomized loot, crafting and arena with ladder and randomized "dungeons" (not something you can actually walk through). Sounds like absolute clusterfuck but it's not, at least not at the beginning (I keep dying around level 15 so YMMV).

is this about sanctuary? Seems like a misrepresentation, how is it like cookie clicker?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Morholt posted:

In most RPGs you are not playing as the most average member of your sex/race.

You are playing as a hero.

Hope this helps.

Not sure if this was your point, but you're not the hero in rogue survivor.

Well you can be but yeah. Anyway gendered stats are dumb, proven through this thread.txt.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

I haven't seen a single RPG game where those differences weren't small enough to ignore. That -1 potential AGI on a Male Rogue isn't gonna make any real difference to the gameplay. You don't have to min/max everything.

Then what's the point?

Yeah you could argue that it's saying they're more agile there's a balance neither is the weaker but it's still making assumptions of an individual along a gender line when it does nothing other than to say "WE'RE DIFFERENT" with no meaning or purpose. And makes assumptive 'BIOTRUTH' statements.

Also as to why we're discussing it, learning about gender in crawl was cool, I legitimately didn't notice. This is a good discussion.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Potsticker posted:

I did not realize they were sexist! Do they charge more or something, because I never noticed any outright hostility or anything?
Like I said previously, I like when there are differences that aren't just +1 STR / +1 CHA. If the NPCs react differently based on your selection of race, class or gender then I feel like that makes your choice have more meaning and leads to a more interesting experience.

You can have a game that makes a distinction on gender without casting superiority of either in one area or another. Those same interactions can still occur.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Dunno. Some developers just want to make their role-playing games more "realistic" I suppose.
I'm just saying that even if that gender stat thing is in a game, it's usually something you can just ignore.

But realism is the argument I find weak. It's presumptive, and inaccurate. Is this really the value of the difference? Not withstanding these characters are heroes who naturally break these norms of average people.
And since the value is so small, why bother including it? It's this lack of value that makes its inclusion say something.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

SilverMike posted:

Could you not just allow everyone to tweak their stats by +1/-1 off the racial baseline and be happy with that?

The above post, traits ala fallout is a good way to do that.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

esquilax posted:

Typically, people find games more enjoyable when mechanics follow theme instead of simply being tacked on. You could also say your character hates wearing hats instead of "is a minotaur with horns"

I don't know anyone who relates to minotaurs or who might not like someone dictating the limits of being one.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

esquilax posted:

That's an actual example from the roguelike Unreal World, and no one has ever given a poo poo about that

Does it make the argument less valid if we don't pull everything we have issues with in one post? Notwithstanding it's false equivalence.

Saying that one tribe who lives next to the river is better at fishing over this tribe which lives inland and tends to farm is not the same as saying on gender holds this advantage over another and this disadvantage for the sheer sake of its gender. Unreal World goes into some detail about their tribes, and there's a clear logical thread to follow. When it comes to gendered advantage it's presented as is, because the creator decided.

lordfrikk posted:

That doesn't make it any less of a problem, it's just a niche game with small player base. Despite that it's still a great game, though.

Instead of acting pissy at his posting, maybe explain how it's problematic?

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 1, 2014

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Oil of Paris posted:

Sexual dimorphism is real.

This is not the focus of the current argument. But why say +1 str, +1 agi, and not +1 con. It's arbitrary and also pretty inaccurate to sum it up like that. Then there's the matter of, with all the fantastical elements in the game, why take a part of game design to highlight this for accuracy sake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

MrBims posted:

I doubt there are many people at all who say that - it is more just the lazy acceptance of 'well, that is just the way things are' that you see in this thread.

And this is exactly the problem I think, it (in a small way, I'll grant) perpetuates a lazy view of gender.

Kanfy posted:

Sorry, can you reword that in a form of a gender equality question?

I'm sorry we're using the roguelike discussion to talk about an aspect of roguelikes you don't care about :(

Bogart posted:

I REALLY LIKE CRYPT OF THE NECRODANCER.

It's really good! That might be why! I like slower paced roguelikes so I haven't really dug into it. I like my mini-tactical experiences to be slow paced.