Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

goferchan posted:

Anyone else crazy about Desktop Dungeons? I realize it only sorta fits here but man the beta version of the game is so loving good. I wonder if I should start a thread?

You're talking about the paid beta? Someone mentioned how much it was improved over the free version at the end of the last thread but didn't go into any detail. Just post whatever here, I'm plenty curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
OK bit the bullet on Desky Dungey and it's pretty slick! Looks nice, the flavor text is inoffensive, and even if it doesn't do a great job of it DD tries to introduce some essential but unintuitive ways to make the combat system work to your advantage. Seems like a pretty significant improvement over the alpha in just about every way. For better or worse it's the same game with a LOT more content including at least one crunchy new mechanic (stuns are a good addition).

I do hate that it's browser-only for the beta and it does cost money. And even though it makes sense (unlockable "preparations" outside of dungeons give the player more control and will cut down on unwinnable or nearly so dungeons) I have mixed feelings about the way content is gated. It's also way too easy at the beginning. Like I'm ~5 dungeons in and haven't needed the Fighter's bread and butter Pit Dog passive (one-time "survive mortal blow with 1 hp") at all. Lucky for me there are "puzzle" maps that are ruthlessly, murderously difficult small scenarios where you begin with total information but require an exact set of moves to clear. The first one has you killing 3 guys and a boss with aid of one spell cast and one passive-use item and it took me literally forever

IDK this game is pretty perfectly For Me (bite-sized whack-a-monster random generated Optimal Move brain-burners ftw) but it's hard not to recommend to anyone who likes puzzles or strategy stuff and doesn't mind the theme. I guess the only really objectionable thing about it would be it's design; the 10-minute length of a single run makes it more suited for people who like Games than people who like Quests. whew

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
Q: does petrifying a boss let me Win? If I need a drop from them could I petrify them then break the wall?

I am getting kind of tired of slamming the wonafyte button as the fighter to flounce through every map but it's right there. Oh and I don't much care for epic I sort of stuck that there at the end of my post for folks that play RLs for reasons other than mechanics abuse hehe

There is really a lot to do in Desktop DungeonsTM huh( I Will Edit This Post Til I DIe)

yessss they kept the random everything button

MPLS to NOLA fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 20, 2013

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
Whooaaa Goferchan or whoever how does the Getindare rune work with dodge chance? I was doing the Thief's missions (they are Thief-themed) and not bothering with it much but then I noticed that it (%dodge) actually stacks, though the tooltip doesn't mention it. The thing is, the option to use the rune again is sometimes greyed out even if you have the mana to cast it (definitely when the buff is active), and I haven't figured out how long it lasts. It's the first mechanic that seems totally arcane (I hope there are lots more). I will fiddle with it some

pumpinglemma posted:

If your strategy here is "press wonafyt, kill monster, repeat", then you will be pleased to learn that it's generally suboptimal. :) (You get 1 bonus XP for killing a slowed monster, but you get far more bonus XP for killing monsters of a higher level than you. So you want to level up by killing high-level monsters, but in the process you want to slow lots of low-level monsters with wonafyte/weytwut to go round and hoover up later.)

Oh totally. No, I like to keep a big zoo of dizzy monsters for easy piety/mid-fight pick-me-up. The bonus xp from slow with the Fighter's Learning make higher costing xp bonus generation from Imawal or whatever totally unnecessary. The only trouble really is leveling too fast, although I still haven't hit 11 (if it's even possible). He seems like easy mode but it's probably just that I have him better figured out than anybody else I've unlocked.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
Oh okay, neat. Do you know what makes the burning debuff fall off?

I didn't notice my roommate walk in while I was listening to music on bigass headphones and "playing" DD and when neither I or the screen moved for more than a minute she asked me if I was okay.

I kiiind of want them to add in a toggle-able 'are you sure your level four guy wants to swap licks with the boss?' prompt for clods.

MPLS to NOLA fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 26, 2013

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
^^Sick.

For some reason I had the hardest time wrapping my head around the 'buff up before a fight' thing that you're supposed to do in every game ever. The silver Thief mission was stumping me before I abandoned slows for physical resist and dodge %. I'm glad they added utility and if memory serves increased cost to spells. DD still feels kind of....raw and unapproachable and even unrewarding in the usual way (you are making constant progress but there's never a confetti explosion with a giant pulsing golden CONGRATULATIONS) but it can certainly be satisfying. I could be learning something useful.

Dear everyone sorry for turning this into desktop dungeon irc but goferchan, be a darling and explain to me how I got the Stoneskin buff (after casting Endiswal maybe) oh nm it just adds an additional icon to the tray as an explanation that's redacted

hmmm

Oh goodness Imawal delivers bonus xp on slowed enemies

MPLS to NOLA fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 26, 2013

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
Desktop Dungeons can be launched through steam, via browser or right from the exe, independent of steam. Cloud storage if you provide an email address.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
I didn't like Monks in the alpha and I'm having trouble with them now, too. They get +50% phys resist innately (not sure what it tops out to but I know it's more than the 65% max everyone else gets) but -2 base damage (per level i think?) and -20% attack bonus. I almost lost the only run I tried (orc monk in the eastern tundra for a quest) because I underestimated how suddenly his attack damage would fall off. I had to kill the boss at level 7 because I couldn't kill anything else without spending comparable resources. Maybe stacking resist and flat damage reduction is the way to go, but I don't have the patience. There's a poison glyph I haven't unlocked, maybe he can put that to use?

I'm about to the point where the only new stuff is the hard dungeons, but I'm trying to hold off until I have all the gods so I can use the extra altar prep. Idk why, I don't have a good handle on how to use them. Any time I worship anyone other than Pactmaker or Taurog I barely scrape through a map that should have been a cakewalk. Oh and I probably will not make much use of altar desecration. I was at ~50 piety for glowing guardian and had a shot at his 100 piety dealy, so I broke one of Jehora Jeheyu's and (on a 50/50 roll according to the definitely faulty wiki) he sunk me. I took a big hit to base damage, bonus damage, and max hp. Worth doing if you find it early in a map and can escape if you roll wrong, or if the map was already unwinnable. When will this be for phones.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
Frankosity it just takes a minute for you to get a feel for it, but the bonus for killing higher-level monsters is big enough that exploring a quarter of the map to find the level 2 monsters / glyphs / extra health or whatever you need at the beginning is totally worth it. Try like heck not to use any potions until you're fighting the boss though. Always use all the preparations you have available, +2 base attack is huge help at level one. Worshiping a god is a sidegrade

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain

DalaranJ posted:

PISORF produces knockback, which does physical damage and doesn't trigger retaliate. Also Binlor. Also Also the Halls of Steel. But it's so situational that I convert it on sight 80% of the time.

PISORF is more mana efficient than the fireball for converting mp to raw damage for most characters in my experience, though I do tend to emphasize + base attack to make starting out easier. If you bang one monster into another, it hurts them both (good for leveling efficiency if you find/manipulate two adjacent higher-level monsters). The monster you're using for a backstop won't die, he'll just be stuck at 1 hp, so any adjacent monster serves to soften up a boss. Breaks walls in a pinch.

Oh and yeah, that buy everything goal isn't too tough. Just hit the northern desert with black market on and you'll probably get it.

MPLS to NOLA fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 26, 2013

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
Re: Desktop Dungeons

bummed there's no bonus for clearing a map with no conversions. Working on Unlikely Heroes 2 as a wizard I found earthmother and balanced dagger at level 1 (free 4mp IMAWAL glyph gives 2x experience to next kill + 10 piety & +3xp for same level kill). I did have to use 3 mana potions for the ooze boss but I ended with all 8 glyphs, all enemies dead all map explored and everything I found or bought otherwise. I still lean towards the fine sword for locker prep (the last strike on platemail is a ruinous conditional debuff imo) but every time I've had an impossible-to-lose run it's because I've found the balanced dagger early.

the earthmother is cool btw (does low-key peace sign to thread guy who mentioned her) she adds a pretty low-pressure piety maintenance minigame on top of your monster smashing.

My Q: what's the endgame in DD? I have a long long way to go but what is the last thing you have to do to beat it?

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
Oh and even with the throbbing bulgy portraits it's easy to forget the weird remorseless powergamer dungeon crawler theme but you are reminded from time to time: towards the end of the Fighter's silver challenge I thought there was no way I was going to get through Frank the Zombie's 888hp but I saw a vault, broke the wall and got the one with all the blacksmith garbage. I kept the knockback morning star and won by lining Frank up with 8 consecutive wall tiles and smashing him through them one by one. RIP frank (c u soon)

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
I haven't played the sequel but the original isn't a roguelike. It's kind of freeware-feeling simple party rpg where you go through endless randomized dungeon floors and summonable boss versions of the regular monsters you fight & recruit. No win condition, though you can turn on permadeath. I wanted a dungeon crawler on my phone and really disliked it

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain

Harminoff posted:

Anyone check out the demo for Ring of pain? https://store.steampowered.com/app/998740/Ring_of_Pain/ It's a Card Crawler Roguelike (not deckbuilder) and plays really fast. I'm really enjoying it. Has pretty nice art as well.

I got it for switch and it's kind of cool. It's turn-based but it's got the same pacing and lethality as nuclear throne and it's fun cruising through 2-15 minute runs trying to figure out how to turn the lack of balance to your advantage. Not even in the same league as Spire or Hades, no idea why it costs as much as it does.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain

Buller posted:

Some of the FTL unlocks were hidden behind run-sabotaging stuff.

This is fun! I like having unusual side goals to try for when I understand the rules and it begins to feel like I'm making ever finer adjustments to the same strategy forever.

It's always cool when you do something extremely unlikely or stupid and the game acknowledges it.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain

goferchan posted:

Oh yeah speaking of bad switch ports don't even think about Nuclear Throne on there. It's ok until you get to the final boss and then he has a certain attack that has a decent chance of hardlocking the game and causing you to lose your run. Don't think it's been fixed at any point

Buying rls on switch has been a real mixed bag, the ones that run how they're supposed to are in the minority and Ive bought a handful with recurring run eating issues. Most recently I got Roguebook and during late game fights it takes multiple seconds to play cards. My first win took 2 in game hours, really made me appreciate StS more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
Does anyone itt know if losing your shield triggers "getting hit" effects in 20 minutes till dawn? It's not clear whether you need to take damage.