Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Are Sil tiles gonna be a thing anytime soon? Just started messing around with it and it seems really cool but the ascii graphics kinda burn me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

MeramJert posted:

I don't think tiles are planned at all for Sil. You should probably just keep getting used to ascii. A lot of good roguelikes only have ascii.

Oh :saddowns:

Reason I asked though is because in the options menu they have a graphics setting with a few grayed out tile sets. Figured that might mean they were close.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Well I'm soldiering on in Sil despite the lack of tiles, but now I need tips on builds and progressing and poo poo because I'm getting tired of being murdered by a hoard of orcs around 300 ft. every time.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

..btt posted:

I might be able to be a bit more specific if you explain what usually kills you.

Its pretty much like you said about getting overwhelmed. I think I'm ok fighting off a few orcs, but then the scout shouts and three more come up the stairs and another two from the other rooms and I'm screwed. I've at least learned not to fight by the stairs :D

I can get to the first forge very reliably so I've kind of been planning my character around that. Usually I pump up smithing to like 10 or so and take armorsmithing and artistry and pimp myself out in some good armor. This works great for a few floors but then it seems like the enemies kind of catch up to me as far as power and I start to be in danger again. By that point I'm usually at a loss as to where to put my xp points, besides some of the no brainer melee/evasion abilities, and I end up either getting swarmed or slowly whittled down as I try to run.

My last death was totally my fault though. I just kept punching this violet slime all the while thinking "I wonder why my constitution is drained :downs:"

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jeffrey posted:

You can eat lembas bread to get rid of stat drain, I didn't notice this and was wondering why anyone would forge the gear that costs stats.

Well poo poo that's good to know, I always make an elf so that'll be helpful. Food doesn't seem to be a huge issue in Sil, I rarely live long enough to get hungry. Then again I rarely find extra food.

I've tried out an archery build a few times but it kind of necessitates taking weaponsmith for the first forge doesn't it? Like I find melee weapons all day but bows are much more scarce and you want one asap to make those archery points useful.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

coyo7e posted:

Does it have the same off-screen movement of the console versions, now? Because the PC version was REMARKABLY easier.

Yeah its basically the XBLA version with a few extra features.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harminoff posted:

Delver got updated with new graphics recently. Got to say it looks a lot better to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyN5PbKPiks

The new art assets have me interested, but how much gameplay content do they have so far?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
That's a pretty sick win rate. What would you say is the easier ship to get a win with?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Unormal posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Do it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Yeah, looks like Rogue Legacy just updated with a content patch today. A few new things and thankfully some good balance stuff.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/241600/announcements/detail/1352501745977362675

Ah jesus now I have to go back to playing it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

victrix posted:

Any opinions about Delver the fproguelike on sale on steam right now?

Its cute and fairly competent, but also super bare bones right now. I beat it on my third try in about 40 minutes by simply putting points into HP and equipping the things with the bigger numbers. The hard part I guess is just surviving the early game (avoid getting poisoned) but after that there really isn't much to it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

victrix posted:

Yeah I checked it out. I adore the aesthetic and I think a roguelike fps done right could be loving amazing, but Delver isn't it yet.

I read some decent impressions on Eldritch over in the Steam thread but now that the sale is over its a bit too expensive for me to check it out.

Tollymain posted:

Are there any other roguelikes that do something similar to Dredmor regarding character creation?

I didn't play much Dredmor but from what I saw it reminded me of DoomRL the most in regards to character building.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Also about Risk of Rain: is there an "easiest" class as far as both unlocking and beating the game?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Another question about Risk of Rain: twice now I've fallen into pits that I seemingly can't escape from. Like no jump pads or things to climb onto. I feel like this is an oversight of the level generator but maybe I'm missing something?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Once on the second level and once on the third iirc. I tried playing a few rounds to get a screenshot but I haven't come across them. The enforcer is cool btw, but tough to keep the enemies in front of you.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Oh right there are different ones. The cloud one for the second level and the ancient valley for the third I think.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Also now that I'm looking at the wiki I realize that the levels aren't actually generated? I figured it used like a Spelunky style system where prefab sections of the level are put together semi randomly, but I guess there's only like 3 layouts per stage?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Levitate posted:

Couple of questions about Sil.

I ran into a violent mold and lost a point of Con, how can I get that back? I have a potion of constitution but I'm not sure if that's permanent (in fact, are all potions of stuff like that, strength, etc, permanent or temporary?)

This got me when I started playing too. Turns out that that food you start with restores Con.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Well poo poo I knew they restored something.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Neo scavenger? Its on steam if you wanna check it out.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

uPen posted:

ToME is the only one there I recognize and it's actually a free game, that is just for the steam version which iirc is identical to the free copy.

The steam version is identical to the premium version, which includes a few extras like being able to use a customized sprite for your character. Plus achievements (there are literally 1200 of them).

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ha, its great how well this looks like it translates to a totally different format.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jedit posted:

A piece of poo poo coding so broken that it won't even display video, which has to be immediately refunded? Odd choice.

Ha, yeah that happened to me too. Then I took two minutes to find the solution and now I'm enjoyed this great game!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I've gotten the farthest with a flouramancer and it felt more that summoning is a little overtuned rather than melee being undertuned but idk I haven't messed with all the jobs yet. In fact I've realized that I've only done single jobs for all my characters and have pretty much neglected the job change mechanic. What're some good skill combos that I should try out?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Armor-Piercing posted:

This is why you double the set of achievements, with one set being available regardless of difficulty settings and one with the default settings. You can even add a third set for doing it with the difficulty-increasing ones.

Pretty soon you end with like 1600 cheeves, ToME style

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

AkumaHokoru posted:

the new character is up? I was playing yesterday and didn't see it?

You have to opt into the beta branch

https://steamcommunity.com/games/646570/announcements/detail/1667898210977004105

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Lol stick to roguelikes boys

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Lmao that dude owns. I like how he is convinced that his review has absolutely burned the game to ground

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It has very good writing. The gameplay is third person platforming with a lot of bad parts but the story carries it

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah you want to put it on a trigger spell. Its one of the most effective easy combos out there

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
What's the hook? What's the thing I get from zorbus that I don't get from uhh crawl? It looks a lot like crawl.

God help me I kind of like the skittering footsteps though

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Magitek posted:

One of the more effective techniques in Hades is to “drive-by” by repeatedly dashing perpendicular to a target while spamming dash attacks towards him. Is that even possible using a controller?

yes because the game has a bit of aim assist

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Everything is so fuckin small in heat signature its even worse than the original risk of rain

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
After a long time of poking at it I finally beat ToME... on normal... and adventure

Played a dwarf cursed, which I hadn't played before and didn't really have any knowledge about, I just picked it because it was a class I hadn't tried and didn't really expect to get very far. Once it came online though I was having a great time. I liked that its basically a bump into stuff kind of class but with a lot of interesting systems to support that playstyle. It took me awhile to figure out how cursed items worked and how strong they can be but eventually I got to the point where I could just walk into stuff and a bunch of minions and poison clouds and poo poo would spawn everywhere. I dunno how it compares to the rest of the lineup but the class seemed very strong to me.

Previously I had never made to the east as I usually run out of lives somewhere in the T2 dungeons usually through incompetence or just not knowing how dangerous things can be. This run was on the same trajectory as I died a couple times early (it had been awhile and I forgot how important good infusions are) and then a couple more to stupid poo poo (drowned in water dungeon because I'm an idiot) but then things started to turn around and I noticed I was a lot tankier than usual. I think the cursed innate confusion/stun resist helped a lot, and I found some good equipment in the T2s including this thing in the sandworm lair:

Obviously I'm not a pro but I'm pretty sure this thing is crazy good, especially that early on, and I used it literally the entire game. I found a few weapons that were close but nothing beat it, although I avoided all the vaults in the prides.

By the time I was finishing up the T2s I felt very overpowered, which I guess is to be expected on normal, but there were a few things that still killed me. One was the graveyard boss next to Last Hope. I went in the first time and got owned and thought ah well my fault I'm too low level for this. Then I came back five levels later and got owned again lol. I also died to the orc pride that is full of casters. Casters in general somewhat plagued me throughout the playthrough as I never really got very good elemental resists, and the boss of that pride just toasted me before I could get away. I was nervous walking into the final fight with no lives left but I beat them surprisingly easily. Felt good to finally see that victory screen.

I'm already thinking about my next playthrough as I unlocked a bunch of cool looking classes that run, though the thought of another 15 hour campaign is making me tired. I'll definitely be bumping it up to nightmare now so my next few runs will probably end a lot sooner than that. Might grab some dlc while I'm on this ToME kick but gently caress if I'm gonna learn try to learn the embers campaign right now. Anyways, TOME GOOD!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

i know that vaults are Different in 1.6 now but in 1.5 you absolutely positively never ever wanted to skip the prides vaults because they were way easier than everything else in the prides AND had oodles of loot for like no reason. i think they might be more dangerous now, but i think they've still got loads of loot

I was playing scared cuz I was out of lives and just wanted the win but that's good to know. Since I'm currently obsessed (and work is mad slow) I've got another character almost to the prides and will definitely be checking them out this time. Playing a temporal warden on nightmare now and this dude fuckin owns. I've only died once so far to getting exploded by Urkis but everything else has been highly manageable. Its cool to have a swiss army knife of a character that seems to have an answer for all situations. I missed the chance to unlock paradox mage though so I'll have to go back for that sometime. I also went all in and bought all the dlc and just having some extra events and items show up is nice. I got a ring that I think comes from Forgotten Cults that let me choose another prodigy point which I thought was a dream come true until I realized the downside lol

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

TW is fun and also OP. The two may be related. temporal hounds are BUSTED. example: https://te4.org/characters/101797/tome/8db45664-a0f3-4709-ace2-30f0aecbcf1b

(that's 115 stat points unspent, 48 unused class points, 36 unused generics, an unused category point, and no prodigies picked for the record)

I just won with it an hour ago and yeah I can see how it's OP. Didn't stop me from dying a couple more times in the endgame. Once to one of the stair bosses in highpeak, those guys were all pretty tough, and another to the final bosses. Class was definitely very fun but having a lot of buttons to push kind of burned me out by the end (may also have something to do with playing 15 hours in three days). Also anomalies were pissing me off even though I never died because of them. The hounds ruled and carried my rear end a lot but I have no idea how that guy relied on them completely. Mine started actually dying by the end and the damage kinda fell off against big targets.

I should probably like not start another run right away but there are so many classes I wanna try...

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
More ToME thoughts:

I played the embers of rage campaign and overall I liked it alot. It feels really tough in the early/mid game though and I probably wouldn't have made it if I wasn't following a zone order guide. Rolled a sawbutcher and ended up getting overpowered as hell by the end, like just bumping through swarms of lvl100 vault enemies.

Then I got to the last boss... holy poo poo what is that fight? I rolled in with three lives and promptly used them all. I feel like I have at least some tools to counter him, like a couple of ways to remove burning hex and enough healing to sustain for awhile, but he just outlasts me. I think the problem is I didn't prepare enough dark and maybe temporal resist but it's not like I can leave to get more now. I have one try left + a blood of life and I may resort to scumming for more tries but I think I just didn't build well enough to complete it. Which is fair enough I guess, I shouldn't expect to just steamroll the final fight my first time. He does seem to be on a whole other level of challenge compared to everything that came before him though.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
From doing some reading on builds and stuff the last few weeks it seems like even the guys making guides for insane runs prefer adventure mode. I can't really compare from personal experience but apparently the newer patches are more one shotty than previous versions so that may be part of the reason. I agree with people saying its too long for no extra lives personally.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

DisDisDis posted:

Tome's a game i'd probably like playing as an rpg with reload save when you die but probably can't be assed with perma/lives. I guess I could forcequit the game or whatever?

There is an unlimited lives mode and it doesn't even lock you out of unlocks or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dragongem posted:

Speaking of Tome, are there good mods to make the UI a little better? I think I saw some on one of the wins somebody posted.

Depends what aspect you wanna change. I use one for more descriptive tooltips and another to make the combat more readable but I haven't found one that changes the more fundamental UI stuff. I've gone back and forth between classic and minimalist and while I think classic is cleaner and a little easier to parse, I settled on minimalist just due to being able to move the elements around to put them where I want. I apparently have a UI mod from years ago (Marson's) already downloaded but it looks like it hasn't been updated and doesn't work.