Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Also Isaac+Expansion is like $1.50 though if you still don't own that at this point maybe you should just wait for the remake to be finished.

I probably have several Steam keys lying around somewhere from all the bundles it's been in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Let's even it out with some justified good-seeming goodness to come around June 20th with the prospective release of The Ground Gives Way---which talks up a quality game(enumerates further on the dev blog entries) and just may well deliver upon it to good acclaim:

http://www.thegroundgivesway.com/

This looks neat, but I don't see much information about its release besides the date. Do you know what the licensing will be, and if it will be available on platforms besides Windows?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

victrix posted:

It's a shame I detest everything about BoI's theme, the game is just wildly unappealing to me :(

If it wasn't so over the top, I would probably play the game more than once in a blue moon. Sometimes Edmund McMillen reminds me of junior high school when the one goth stoner kid discovered occultism and wouldn't shut up about how if you burn the right candles on the right day it will totally cast a spell, and he would draw St. Peter's cross and pentacles over everything "because they're the symbols of the devil". The :jerkbag: emote sometimes appears literally in my mind's eye when I play the game :v:

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 17, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

just played a round of spelunky: super hd remix version. feels good man

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

meritous is great. it looks lovely, and it didn't grab me the first couple of times i played it, but something about it kept me coming back and i eventually got sucked into it. maybe it was the music. the music was great, chill, hypnotic stuff

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Smart Kobold owns.

It's a super quick game to play/master, you play as a douchebag high level adventurer with a sword of killing everything, and you try and go grab all of the kobold stuff, but it turns out that they've set up a cave to ambush people like you and steal all your poo poo so that they can sell it to nearby merchants and keep up their opulent kobold lifestyle.

this is now my favorite roguelike backstory lol

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

madjackmcmad posted:

Can you call dibs on unposted keys?

Besides, it's on sale for $7.49 this week. I get 70% of that, then take out another 30% of the remainder for taxes and royalties, which means you can enjoy monster crushing adventure while knowing you've dropped a sweet tree fitty into the coffers of a hard working goon.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/288120

i don't know if you can or want to talk about this, and it's a lil offtopic, but does the parade of sales and bundles for digitally distributed games ever work in favor of small indie developers? as an outsider nonbusiness person it looks like it could either be really good or really bad, especially for smaller developers who can't absorb big losses

ps dungeonmans is one of a few games im trying to decide between for my allotted steam funds for this sale so i expect nothing less than a novella in reponse. gotta post post post to earn that half of a mcdonalds value meal here, buddy :P

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Unormal posted:

Using my holiday vacation weeks to prototype a System Shock/Alien Isolation inspired FPS roguelike/lite. Running around in the Redrock/Sproggiwood builder:

you forgot the ring

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

hey you programmer nerdos, i bought your stuff. got some sproggies and some mans :getin:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

if no other non-list-posting slacker such as myself has claimed it, can i get MANOS: HANDS OF FATE from the game pile? :kiddo:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Rapacity posted:

Speaking of Dungeonmans, I just bought it and I completed the Skrobold caves. After going back to the academy I went out to the next dungeon and it told me that it was trivial and just gave me some loot; fine. However, the same happened with something like the next 4 or 5 dungeons in a row!?

When you're in the overworld, the text of the dungeon name is shown in a color. The color indicates how hard the dungeon is, relative to you. You can see the colors in the help window that you can open up in-game.

The help window is actually helpful, too! I play with the game in a window and the help window sitting next to it, so I can alt+tab over to it and look up the thing I forgot from five minutes ago.

e:

IronicDongz posted:

I really don't like how, in Dungeonmans, you have to name every character something different. And then you get to choose from several selections of starting stat spreads, seeded on that name or something...? Just let me pick my base stats, tia. It's like a weird middle ground between playing dnd with the grognard who insists that you roll your stats randomly and the reasonable human who just lets you pick them

Also I don't like any of the player tiles. They're all wearing something stupid or in a weird pose, I just wanna be like a reasonable looking armored dude but the only guy who's wearing armor is a Thor cosplay or something

source your quotes

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 30, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Is the free text download of Qud some old crusty version?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

downwell is a roguelike :can:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

madjackmcmad posted:

Goonthoughts on:

It depends on the game. Games can use an unusual player-sight system to good effect, just as they can use a conventional system poorly. I'm curious if this issue is something that many developers even consider. And it wouldn't surprise me if platform games all look like they do because "that's how Donkey Kong and Pitfall did it", or if roguelikes just copy rogue (:v:).

One of the coolest uses of this idea I remember was in the original Unreal, the single-player game that was before Unreal Tournament. I remember watching my cousin (RIP) play this after we'd picked it up in a discount bin, and there's a section in an early level where you are in an underground tunnel, stuck there somehow. Buy as you look down the tunnel you see the overhead lights click off, one, by, one. Of course, the next step is to blast the baddies who come out in the dark. But it was very cool because it played with the idea of the player's "senses" in both a gameplay and thematic way. It's something I think has potential to develop into diverse and unique designs, much more than it has as of now.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Has anyone been playing Delver? I bought it on Android a few years back, and they haven't been updating that version for a while now, but I see that new betas have been released on Steam every few months. I'm curious about anyone's opinions for how it's been progressing.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

> USE MOM ON LAPTOP

this is a pro adventure game strat right here

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

tome is only a good starter roguelike if you have a high tolerance for really ugly UIs and gross default sprites. yeah that's right, i said it :can:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

imo the greatest starter roguelike, as well as the greatest roguelike of all time, is Robot Loves Kitten :3:

e:

btw why isn't this game in the op :mad:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The first game in the Dungelot series was actually released in 2012. I only played the free version of first one, on Android, but I remember it being a puzzly, coffee-break hack and slash game with some roguelike elements. I think it had permadeath, and the way you progressed was to move around the small grid for each floor and uncover tiles behind which you might find some loot, or maybe a monster that is hard to kill for your level. I think remember it having weird balance issues.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 21, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

The Roguelike Thread: It's where you're @

welp

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

My initial thought was to make a procedurally generated kitchen that started at like hot-dog-stand size and got larger and more complicated/ridiculous as you beat levels

sounds good, just make sure you include a vent hood item and have a social media minigame where you win by spouting off nonsensical bigotry

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Helical Nightmares posted:

Is there a library of public domain tiles somewhere?

there are public domain/free game graphics out there. you might just have to start digging around on game making websites though, which isn't ideal but depending on what you need might work OK.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I'm thinking that maybe I should un-bookmark this thread for a while, because there are too many games I am tempted to buy and yet I still have not made much progress in the roguelikes I bought during the Steam sale! :v:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

There is a new mobile roguelike out called Gumballs and Dungeons (iOS, Android). Here is a post from the Android games thread:

SynthesisAlpha posted:

So does anyone remember Dungelot? And its terrible sequels? I've been playing Gumballs & Dungeons, which is basically the game Dungelot should have been. Sure there's a stamina mechanic and premium currency like every drat mobile game, but you get enough of both that they never feel restrictive.

It's the same premise -- you uncover tiles in a 5x6 grid and either get stuff or fight the monsters underneath. The thing that makes this a good take on the genre is your little slime dudes (gumballs, I guess) come in like a hundred different classes across four factions, each one with a unique passive ability (like crit chance, or free magic scrolls every level) and a talent that applies across all characters (like +2 attack or 15% stronger lightning bolts). You get a new character every dungeon you clear, and there are a bunch of ways to recruit more. Each gumballs falls into one of three classes, Adventurer, Mage, or Melee, and you spend XP to upgrade titles in a branching tree to earn stats and abilities. You also can take the passives and titles from two other gumballs from the same faction.

The game is also packed with side features, like explorer guys that you send out and they come back on a timer with free stuff, gumball artisans that produce upgrade materials (whom you buy or rescue from dungeons), an airship exploration side-game (with puzzle dungeons, airship combat, and a whole new set of things to upgrade), daily quests, and even the world map has little nodes you can poke for prizes. Each dungeon also has a unique mechanic, like assembling tools from the bones of undead enemies into equipment or a pet, a plant ally that grows by feeding it loot from dungeon enemies, a ghost ship ally, or a magic lamp that you upgrade with a genie. You can also find all seven dragonballs in a dungeon and make a wish. (and the eternal dragon is also an adorable gumball guy)

The stamina mechanic isn't bad, since dungeons take a good while to get through. You can also just spend stamina to raid them for instant loot and xp if you don't have time to devote for a full run. I've never really felt like I couldn't play because of it.

I will warn everyone that the gacha is strong with this one. The premium gacha pulls award fragments of a character, which you also need to upgrade them once you acquire them anyway, ugh. You do get some free pulls to start and from every 5 days worth of daily quests, but I've yet to assemble enough fragments for a character. The game is very playable without them, but you'd have to whale pretty hard to get the gacha characters unlocked and maxed out.

I would say to ignore the "holy super gacha-fest" comment here, at least until some super-nerds have written endgame guides. I've sunk like 5 or 10 hours into the game already, and I have no care in the world about the gumball-fragment gacha, because there is so much else to do. Every dungeon has fun gimmicks that remind me a tiny bit of Sproggiwood, like in the undead dungeon where all the enemies drop bones which you can then combine on a necromancer table and create armor from fallen enemies :black101:. The combinations of characters and items you can use as your starting loadout is fun to tinker with, too. There is a lot of fun to be had tinkering with different builds and figuring out gimmicks on how to cheese the ridiculous bosses that show up once you unlock each dungeon's endless mode.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

deathbagel posted:

When I read the word "Broguelike" I immediately pictured an ascii art based open world adventure where you have to search a ruined city for the best baked chicken recipes and gather top notch gym equipment so that you can make the sickest gains over of all of your other apocalypse surviving bros.

eh, i picture more of a traditional roguelike. you start at ground level and ascend each level of a nightclub, finding bits of paper with PUA tips on them and quaffing from random cups to ID their effects. you do start out with a free magic wand, but it's cursed and only holds one charge

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The stretch goals look very cool, too. Right now it's about L5000 to the first stretch, and L7500 for the second.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

do u even parallel bro

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Lowness 72 posted:

This is rad. What are you coding in / what editor is that?

You can download the game! Inside the download files I saw that it is a Unity game :)

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=57600

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

superh posted:

Been a long-rear end time since I posted about it but I'm still working on this thing, I'm calling it I Won't Die now:

awesome art! i'd love to wander around that desert

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i tried to explore the forest and died to a snake. then i tried to chop wood and i can build....walls? then i went inland again and found a sword or something, but my other person appeared to be trying to drown themselves. is there an introduction somewhere on how to play?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

that rain vest looks very poorly designed

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

lol

"minecraft"

"dark souls"

gently caress

it also claims my browser (chrome) doesn't support svg :rolleye:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

is mouse support kinda buggy in Tangledeep? because boy howdy i was gettin a bit annoyed when it seemed like the game decided it should randomly not let me use the mouse for a couple minutes at a time

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The mouse thing doesn't seem to be happening in the April 2nd build. It may have just been some problem with my computer the day I wrote that other post, too.

p.s. i really like the little message that says how many healing items i had when i died :lol:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Are there any tile sets for ToME that are good? Every time I have tried to get into it, I switch between many different sets of tiles and never find any that look complete and consistent.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

when i discovered nethack many years ago, i remember thinking it was really cool that there were special modes and tools for blind people. up to that point i don't think i had ever known anyone or read about people trying to play video games who were blind. and with most roguelikes it's not like you need to only represent things visually, so it's pretty cool that blind people get to have almost the exact same experience as sighted people

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah the "sold through a one-time download link and if you lose it you're hosed" model really sucks.

this is a fakepost right?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I have tried playing Tome 4 several times but all the tilesets I tried felt unfinished, or they just irritated me. Is there one that's as polished as, say, the Crawl tiles, or is there a way to set the GUI version of the game to some kind of ASCII mode?

(I have probably asked this question in this very thread a while back, sorry)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Starward Rogue is on the Steam sale for -80%. In :911:-land that puts it at $2.39.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/410820/Starward_Rogue/

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

After playing it for an hour or two, I can confirm that the bullet patterns are ...unique. So far my strategy has been "hold down the run button and plink away when I can". I haven't beaten any floor 1 yet but I'm starting to see some strategies on which upgrades to go for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you can get a second shield layer, that's also really good. The most common way is the "lose all shields for the rest of the level, but at the start of the next level you get +1 shield layer". Note that you can't have more than 2 shield layers.

It's worth killing the consumables shopkeeper. Killing any shopkeeper turns all of their goods in that shop into "conduct" items, basically (at the cost of destroying that shop type on future levels, but the consumables shop sucks anyway).

this is good to know. i didn't even know that i had a shield, or that shopkeepers exist. "git more damage" was pretty easy to figure out on my own though :pseudo: