Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Everyone has their dream...

01011001 posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended Sil. Holy poo poo, that game's sucked hours of my life away.

Seconding this. I have spent a lot of time on Sil recently thanks to this thread (and started reading the Silmarilllion).
I find that I am struggling to work out what I need to use my experience on when. Anyone have any general advice about how to build a character? Or any builds that they like to go with/the order they take skills?

I keep finding that there's too much that I want (stealth, mêlée, song, evasion...). I want to try a song of mastery build but can't stay alive long enough...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

EvilMike posted:

You really need to specialize in this game. Skill levels are super important, a 1 point increase makes a big difference. High level skills are very expensive to increase, but it's worth it. It's still worth diverisfying, but you can't spread yourself too thin.

At the start of the game you should put most of your exp into combat skills (melee, archery, evasion). Take a bit of smithing too, for the guaranteed forge. Other skills are good to take a bit in too, but don't specialize in them yet. While you can go heavily into stealth/song in the beginning and win (it's possible to win a pacifist in sil), it's not as easy for a new player.

Don't take too many abilities at the start (the stuff on the tab menu). They are useful, but expensive if you take too many. Focus on what you think you need for that character.

As for song of mastery, its powerful if you can get it, but it's a late game thing. And by that point, a lot of characters will prefer song of sharpness for combat. Depends on what artefacts you find.

Cheers for the reply!
To be honest, I only want song of mastery because it sounds cool as hell.
I definitely see what you mean about not spreading yourself too thing, despite how tempting it is! I think what worries me is, having seen someone else play and get towards the end game, there is a necessity for stealth beyond a certain point or you rapidly get out of depth. Yet at the same time you need to maintain you primary combat stat, evasion, work towards song of sharpness etc.
Perhaps it's just a matter of getting used to what you need when.

Which abilities do you recommend? I've been getting charge as a cheap attack boost and sprinting seems almost a necessity.

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Is there a Sil wiki or any sort of source of information for it?
I can't seem to find one and despite having lore-master I still don't know what a lot of my inventory does (What does a staff of sanctity actually do?!).

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

...damnit. I knew that. I tried it for an amulet of adornment and the description wasn't helpful so I forgot about x when I was trying to work out that staff.

Character got wrecked by a giant anyway but good to know for next time.

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Amulets of Adornment are 100% useless (adorning is a fancy reference to jewelery). They're slightly less harmful traps than, say, Amulets of Inaccuracy (as seen in Crawl) and Amulets of Strangulation (sometimes seen in *bands I think), but they exist purely to frustrate.

I know what adornment means but thank you for confirming that it was useless :) I know that sometimes adornment things affect charisma so I wasn't sure it it affected maybe grace or something.
At least I looked fancy as I was smashed into paste on the floor!