Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if i ever get the energy i might even feel like posting the idea i've had forever, but not for the purposes of entering the contest. i've got too much depression-related apathy to make something myself and i'm also really bad at mentally visualizing the whole 'coding' thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm definitely not entering because i seriously wouldn't know heads from tails when it comes to coding (i've tried) and i'm worn thin from work and other things as it is making it difficult to even do leisure activities, but i figured this was as good a time as any to type out the junk i thought up. anyone can feel free to poach what they want from it, assuming any of it sounds appealing

Magical Construct Battle Arena

i don't know of a better title offhand, but i was inspired by systems such as the material stuff in IVAN and the battle system in games like dwarf fortress's adventure mode. basically it would be set in a series of arenas that spellcasters use to duel with, as said, magical constructs that can take a lot of varied forms. it's not exactly a dungeon crawler or anything, no, but it seems like the kind of thing that would do well in a similar format given the inspirations.

i imagined a 'campaign' mode of sorts where you start out against lower-ranked opponents, and your first goal is to cobble together your first construct. things such as the materials the parts are made out of along with how it's actually put together are important. various materials will cost various amounts of wizard funmoney and you can earn more from doing well in the arena. maybe little side goals to accomplish during rounds to earn extra. want to skimp out on the construction of a limb? make it out of wood. just don't be surprised if it catches on fire from a myriad of things and burns away. material weight would also be a factor, so the aforementioned wood would at least be pretty light, if fragile. an important component would be cores, which are what power your creation and need to be protected. typically one might put their starting core inside of the chest, but there wouldn't be much stopping them from putting it where they wanted. as the player wins more and gets access to higher ranks, they'll also be able to slot in more and more parts as well, so if you've ever wanted a centaur-looking creature with 4 legs, 4 arms and 2 heads made mostly out of iron then that would be possible. in that case having extra legs would provide speed, but being mostly made from iron would slow them down some.

there would also be a variety of weapons to basically 'slot' onto/into hands or other places depending on what it is. maybe special cases like the player fitting a magical cannon onto the construct's chest that draws power directly from a core placed in there. i would hope that there would be a large amount of things that players can utilize to make nearly every playthrough different in some way. the rest of the setting would be like standard gladiatorial arena kind of stuff, with hazards in the arenas and things such as crowds favoring certain spellcasters and their creations. maybe cool stuff like fans throwing in junk to help you or your opponent, or situations in-battle where if your construct loses a limb you can spend a little time 'regenerating' it with random poo poo strewn around the arena itself. maybe even melding a hunk of rock from one of the walls into your structure.

again, i definitely wouldn't be able to put this together myself, but i just wanted to put it out there because i felt like it.

Tollymain posted:

slime game

also this idea is good

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ToxicFrog posted:

If this ever gets implemented, I sure hope it has a mode when you program your construct and then watch it battle hands-off.

well, in a theoretical situation where this existed, i figure it'd be easy enough to have a mode when you can just let the ai take over and watch little magical robots of a sorts smash into each other

probably some kind of dedicated 'test' mode where you can fiddle around with near-everything and watch stuff do what it wants

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

huh, i guess cryptark was getting some patches in late november

http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/136626237878682825

of note is the balance section:

Enemy/System changes:
- Repair system now repairs last destroyed system - so it's possible to stay ahead of the repair process
- Took out self repair functionality from repair system - was too hard to take out in combination with the attacking bees
- Goal time now slightly less
- Alarm/sentry/core now dont attack cloaked player. Mines also dont go after cloaked player
- Friendly turret item now has laser weapon to make it more powerful than drone item (but less mobile)
- Juggernaut increased density to stop gunfire from pushing it into walls
- Picket shielded added rapidfire blaster weapon
- Viper lowered attack range and lowered movement speed
- Lowered Ironclad health, and lowered amount of time shield is up
- Decreased MrFixIt heal speed, and now no longer letting multiple heal the same enemy/system
- Increased Sentry system laser damage
- Faster advanced factory spawning, from 100 to 60
- EMP stun now works on shield systems, stops their rotation
- Tattletale enemy now faces player rather than trying to run away
- Now displays 'max drones' in sidebar, to show the total possible drones that can be created on the ship
- Slimer enemy can now take slime damage

changes to the repair systems look pretty good and should make it less frustrating overall

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the 'give players bonus health if they clear a boss without getting hit' thing always baffled me because it's rewarding players that don't need it with something that they're not going to appreciate. it makes a hell of a lot more sense to give players who aren't as good extra health and give the better players more interesting stuff for beating the challenge.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that sounds like a cool concept that's entirely marred by some idiotic attachment to difficulty

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ziggurat was a really solid game, eldritch too. both can usually be picked up for pretty cheap. ziggurat's overall aesthetic is a tiny bit bland, but i'd prefer it over tower of guns any day. eldritch definitely isn't a traditional fps by any means, but it kind of scratches the itch a little bit depending on your playstyle.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

John Lee posted:

See, I have two problems here. Firstly that I have no idea why the four yetibots didn't all charge you at once, pounding you into the dirt, and secondly that it looks like you only survived due to that small nook with a chest in it. The scorpions mentioned earlier are out in the open, and you can often find a corner to get behind if things aren't looking good for other reasons, but the enemies in the snowfields often will be hallways that don't have any good nooks or crannies.

the yetibots are consistent in that they're consistently erratic in how and when they attack you. as such, you have to approach them all the same way and be super cautious no matter what. ultimately a lot of it comes down to reaction time if they do decide to start charging at you, and they're one of those enemies you basically never want to get close to if you can help it. the layout of the frozen city actually sort of helps with this, because a lot of the time you can either plug away at them from the other end of a hallway or duck into a hallway to avoid a charge from them.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i was gifted 'catacomb kids' on steam since i put it on my wishlist a while ago, and it's actually really fun for what it is? it's still in early access but the creator is slowly plugging away at it. even released an update on christmas. the game plays like if spelunky had more actual roguelike-ish elements to it and had a character system along the lines of rogue legacy. without sucking like rogue legacy, thankfully.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

doctorfrog posted:

I'm waiting for the eventual release of Catacomb Kids. Good to hear it's holding together.

Somewhat related, I fired up Spelunky for the first time since early 2015 or so and I've apparently lost what little skill I had.

you might be waiting a good while, as i think it's mostly the one guy and i think recently he might have hired another person to help with animations and sprites and whatnot. it's one of those things where i really wish a 1.0 version was out but i might as well have fun with it in the meanwhile.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have to say that roguelikes (either close to or loose from that definition) have become my new favourite genre.

it's nice that it feels like people are actually trying with the new roguelikes they put out these days, because for a little while there it really felt like devs were just cranking out turds with 'procedural generation' slapped on there and as a major selling point with no real semblance of fun or anything interesting. in a way the fad has died down, probably for the best.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i usually don't like janky stuff in roguelikes but it feels like it works in qud, for whatever reason. mainly because it's this big, alien world of sorts and it's kind of up to you to decide what you want to get up to. i still have some of my own complaints about the game but in general it's just minor stuff.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i definitely feel like the mutation divide could stand to be rebalanced sorta. it's kind of dumb that espers are basically playing an entirely different game purely because they get a bunch of innate stat boosts that physical mutations don't.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Glimpse posted:

Different gameplay, sure. You could also say that physical mutants get a bunch of innate stat boosts that espers don't get to take advantage of, on combat rolls et al. Probably could stand rebalancing, but I don't think it's completely out of whack.

espers can entirely ignore leveling their mutations and instead spend points on more of them which also get immediately boosted, all while being able to put points into other stats that'll help them out

meanwhile chimeras get no boosts whatsoever and have to rely on every single point they put into stats along with using every mutation point to level up certain mutations to make them function at a third of the power of a mental mutation boosted by ego at any given point. 'combat rolls' don't matter all that much for espers because they can just sear things out of existence by thinking enough. i don't think the game is falling apart or whatever due to the split but it's kind of weird that a chimera can't even, i dunno, get a bonus to goring people with horns due to having a good strength stat or something.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Glimpse posted:

Yeah, they should. But what I'm getting at is that while the chimera is goring with its horns, it's also swinging an axe, or daggers, or an axe, sword, hammer, and lightsaber simultaneously, which are all getting bonuses from its physical stats. The esper, hating you to death from a distance, doesn't get any of that so it needs a mental stat based boost of some kind, I'm not sure how else you could implement that with the mental mutations being so varied. It's definitely not perfect, but both sides do get something.

And then true espers can't take freezing hands, which is so good it's kind of nuts.

i've actually played espers that had pretty alright melee combat skills, primarily because really the #1 stat they ever have to care about in regards to their mutations is ego. the rest can be customized however they want and they typically don't have to sacrifice all that much. especially since, as said, mental mutations are pretty drat wild.

in a perfect world i'd want to see mutations of all sorts get minor boosts from varied stats, like some mental mutations playing off willpower or intelligence instead of ego. physical mutations could be divvied up between strength/agility/toughness depending on what they are. like my previous example of the horns mutation getting a small boost depending on your strength score. a scorpion tail could work off of agility, carapace with constitution, etc. etc.

maybe have some mutations not get a stat boost at all. in any case, i'm not a game dev, so my opinion is probably worth squat.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Unormal posted:

What is hearing alloy. Is that some whippersnapper term for mixed reviews?

:corsair:

it actually sounds like some poo poo i'd find in qud. weird metal that's really good at carrying noises through it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

rogue legacy felt way too much like 'hey, roguelikes are the hot new thing, right? let's slap some of that poo poo onto an otherwise generic base and sell that'

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Games › Roguelikes - none of us have ever even played Rogue

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Beeme posted:

It just seems like Tangledeep, with it's nice-sounding name, good looking pixel art, and independent single-dev, would be a good match for their line-up.

considering the complete lack of actual advertising there was for stardew valley i would hope that no one shacks up with them

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

doctorfrog posted:

I'll take your word for it, I tried to read a page of that thread and it was a mile long shitstain.

to be fair, there's not all that much to talk about since the game is boring and all that happens is occasionally supernorn drops in to post news about an update with basically nothing in it

the thread probably doesn't even need to exist anymore because i doubt there's people out there clamoring to find a starbound thread these days

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Angry Diplomat posted:

Qud is also becoming more and more mobile/tablet friendly with every update, and IIRC Unormal has mentioned that it'll likely be officially released for mobile devices at some point in the not egregiously distant future.

yeah, the UI updates are amazing and make it one of the more accessible roguelikes i've ever played

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think i pretty much always prefer the senator to baron, mainly because eventually you can ascend your senator and his wives into godhood and they turn into radiant juggernauts who can whip out spells every single turn

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've also been playing dead cells and it pretty much feels like 'rogue legacy but actually good' with a good influence from castlevania

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lordfrikk posted:

So Cryptark just released. Any opinions regarding the current version?

they've done a lot to cut down on some of the more frustrating and aggravating elements of the game, so i definitely support the state it's in now compared to what it was early on. on top of that they've done a fair amount of optimization.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there can literally never be enough recommendations for caves of qud if someone wants an open-world roguelike with probably the best setting i've ever seen in one, making me actually care to explore it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dead cells is pretty much the game that most early access titles on steam wished they were, and i'm looking forward to everything that's added to it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

IronicDongz posted:

things will shoot at you from offscreen in nuclear throne but it's still the peak of the genre and I will bring it up without hesitation

the only things that do that make giant, unmistakable guide lasers accompanied by high-pitched whines before firing as it is

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i have a hard time considering anything in dredmor a dealbreaker considering what else exists in the genre

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SKULL.GIF posted:

My issue with Dredmor is it's sssslllloooowwww.

to be fair, there's an animation speed slider in the options

it's not super obvious but it DOES exist

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

2/3rds of the runes being an awful slog to get in crawl was pretty much one of the main things that made me unwilling to care about or even deal with whatever 'vision' the devs have with the game, to be honest

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Burning Rain posted:

finally started to get into Conquest of Elysium 4. the first playthrough with Baron was boring as hell, so I increased the difficulty and picked trolls. it's been fun watching how my three trolls with star sapphires (i.e., they negate half of attacks) tear apart 40 puny humans while regenerating and coming back to life

if you want a playthrough of 'Baron But Actually Fun', pick senator. they have more interesting things going on and eventually you can basically just pay to have your emperor/empresses turned into immortal, spellslinging gods

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gameko posted:

Caves of Qud is early access and barely on sale at only a dollar off. I played a fair bit of TOME and would recommend it, but dungeon mans is an easy roguelike to get started on.

If you really wanna get your qud on there's the free ascii version...

they're not going to discount qud any more than they already do and when it's in 1.0 they're going to bump up the price of the game, mainly because from what i understand they can't exactly afford to sell it for super cheap. also the free version isn't really kept up with compared to the full game and barely represents what's going on nowadays. i 100% recommend buying caves of qud

on an unrelated note it's funny how immortal redneck pretty much feels like 'ziggurat but entirely better', and this is coming from someone who enjoyed ziggurat

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

infra arcana is still kicking my rear end as much as i remember

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

tweet my meat posted:

Wow I really love the direction Infra Arcana is taking from reading the changelog. It might be time to sit down with that game and really try to hammer out a win. Has anyone else been playing the new version at all? What are your thoughts?

i've been plugging away at it a bit, but i can only get to around level 10 or so right now. doesn't help that i wasn't the best at it when i last played it a few years ago. the changes seem pretty good and i like how there's more of an actual survival horror aspect to it all now, which is fitting for the setting. no need to go hunting for everything when it's much better to sneak around stuff if possible.

not entirely sure how i feel about all the minute details of how getting exp works now, but i don't think i'm qualified to have a good answer in any way

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

tweet my meat posted:

If you're looking for a traditional roguelike with nontraditional gameplay and atmosphere, IA is definitely a solid choice.

yeah, this is a pretty good way of summarizing it. it's neat how it blends it all together and does a lot with a relatively streamlined experience. reminds me a lot of older roguelikes, but it has some modernization going on to make it easier to actually play and get used to.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

cortex command worked well as a weird little sandbox, but they never actually did much to take it beyond that so once the initial fun wears off you sort of naturally move on to more fleshed-out games

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

MECHANICAL KEYBOARD [ASMR]

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

infra arcana strikes a good balance between flavor and making all of your choices meaningful. the change to how exp is earned also really mixes things up in terms of how you deal, or don't at all, with monsters and the like in a really cool way.

there's also not a whole lot of weird, oddly specific keybinds you need to memorize to play the game well. just remember that w is kick, which can open stuck doors or locked chests along with destroy zombie corpses, which is essential, and will also technically use an appropriate melee weapon if you happen to be holding it to make you better at doing it. another good thing to remember is G, which specifically unloads guns on the floor so you can just take the ammo with you.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as a heads up for anyone who doesn't keep track of the qud thread, a big update revamping the cybernetic implant system for true kin just came out yesterday.

quote:

We replaced the old cybernetics system with a newer, much more elaborate one.
Cybernetics are still only available to true kin.
We added dozens of new cybernetic implants.
Implants are installed onto body parts at cybernetic terminals called 'becoming nooks'. Potential body parts include: head, face, body, back, arm, hands and feet. Unlike old implants, these new implants do not occupy equipment slots.
A few implants actually do occupy equipment slots.
You can view your installed implants on the new Cybernetics tab of the Equipment screen. The tab doesn't appear if you have no implants installed.
Implants must be identified before you can install them.
Only one implant can be installed per body part.
Some implants can be installed on one of several body parts.
Each implant has a license point cost associated with it. The total number of license points across all your installed implants can't exceed your license tier.
True kin start with a license tier of 2. You can upgrade your license tier at a becoming nook by spending cybernetic credits.
You can install and uninstall implants freely at a nook, as long as you remain at or below your license tier.
Uninstalled implants go into your inventory. Some implants are destroyed when uninstalled, however. Other implants can't be uninstalled. All this info is in the implant's description.
When installing implants at a becoming nook, the implants must either be in your inventory or the nook's rack.
There are some preset becoming nooks in the game. They also have the chance to appear in certain types of procedurally-generated ruins. Becoming nooks usually have implants in their nook racks.
Implants themselves can also appear as rare loot.
Per the Eaters' architecturally tastes, becoming nooks are usually found along side statues of implanted Eaters.
Most cybernetic credit wedges are now placed in preset locations throughout the world, but they also can appear as very rare loot.
True kin can pick one implant from a subset of the implants to start with at character creation.
The list of starting implants includes generic ones and a unique implant for each arcology only available to characters from that arcology.
Added a new journal category: Ruins with Becoming Nooks.
Some factions, but especially the Putus Templar, now share the locations of ruins with becoming nooks as secrets.
Balanced the Templar's water ritual credit wedge gift for the new system.
Reduced true kin's starting attributes by 2.
Added a whole bunch of minor stuff in support of this patch.
Made the night-vision visual effect more playable.
Fixed an issue with Sense Psychic and Heightened Hearing not properly showing identified object tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

super sweet best pal posted:

-2 base stats to true kin? Ouch.

I guess having quicker access to Cybernetics kind of makes up for it.

the new cybertech is -really- good, and it's easier to get access to it all around