Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's kinda weird how little community there is for roguelikes considering how many people play them. There's here and Bay12 and that's about it for finding other people who play.

r/roguelikes is a pretty popular subreddit as far as they go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

TOOT BOOT posted:

You must subscribe to some very small subreddits if you think that's a big or active one.

I only have it and AskHistorians. It frightens me to consider delving deeper. :ohdear:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Jeffrey posted:

Yeah I think I'm gonna need super and hyper keys, gotta buy one of these:

Hyper Super Meta.

What keyboard is that?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Did anything ever come of the IVAN revivification project?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

So, decided to give Sil another shot and did pretty good with a sword swinging singing elf.

But listen up, Least of All Balrogs is still a loving balrog!

Especially 100 depth lower than normal.

._.

Supposed to learn Sil as a Solid Snake Archer Elf. C'mon.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

CountingWizard posted:

Be careful with Darkest Dungeon, there is no way of telling if it will be good or just a completely mindless unengaging Roguelike like so many of the crap titles on Steam. The flash-like nature of the game engine makes me leery.

The new Caves of Qud tileset had officially delayed me picking it up to play again. I only got through the first prison area the last time I played it but I found it very well made.

I have the same problem, I want to start a new game with all these posts but it looks like it will be so good :smith:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Unormal posted:

Hand of Luke is determined to get first pass of all the tiles in, and get to a reasonably good choice of palettes and shaders, before we go public with it. :D

If I throw my wallet at the screen while quoting this post will that work? Okay I'll try it.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

:aaaaa:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

One thing I'll note is that even though Crawl's policy of "no needed spoilers to win" is correct, the actual implementation of "yeah you should memorize what's in certain vaults or you're just gonna die" means you definitely need some.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

andrew smash posted:

Gain a couple of levels from argyve or crocs then dive to the miner helmet. If you prioritize shank in the short blade tree the stuff in the tunnel will not pose a big problem.

Are you saying there's a guaranteed miner's helmet? Where?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Slime posted:

My point is, why bother with that? If the game is balanced around you being able to rest without penalty why not just fully heal you after combat automatically?

I haven't played zirconmusic's game yet, it looks neat, but a problem like in, say, dungeon crawl is what defines after combat? Is it when you defeat an enemy? What if there's multiple? Is it when you don't see any enemies? What if you ducked around a corner from one?

It's actually a difficult problem.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Mistayke posted:

My introduction to Rogue came in 1980 on my Atari 400. I know, not much to add, but I thought I'd mention it. I've been hooked ever since and the genre has only improved over time.

This is actually really cool. How did you come by it back then?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

Yeah, bash really doesn't appreciate an edge case suddenly appearing.

:golfclap:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

mitochondritom posted:

Shout out to Tuxedo Catfish who seemingly patrols the entirety of the SA forums to help people out with Qud. Not all heroes wear capes.

Whenever he is needed, just type "ToME isn't balanced for Roguelike difficulty" and he'll appear.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Rock Paper Shotgun was pretty excited about Golden Krone Hotel; has anyone here tried it out and have any thoughts?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

zirconmusic posted:

I finally realized that Tangledeep was too much of a skeleton game,

I was really excited to play Tangledeep as a spooky skeleton before I realized what happened here. :smith:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

the best part about gungeon is the boss names

and that doesn't mean I think any other part of the game is bad.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

god drat card quest is good

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Same, I’m very interested in the concept but the visuals are so unappealing I just can’t hack it.

Did you start playing RLs with Dredmor or not? Honest question.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Little Fighter 2 :allears: That one takes me back.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Spelunky 2 looks like an easy buy from me, just like Spelunky 1 was a great buy for me, despite having beaten Freeware "Doesn't Help Derek Yu At All" Spelunky.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Toalpaz posted:

is having meta run unlockables good design or an attempt to stretch out content. Really makes you think.

This is a false equivalence, not a matter of the first or second. You can have meta run unlockables as part of a good design, and introduce it to stretch out content. Or one of the both. Or neither.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

the new system with books/spells in crawl actually is better, though. when you find a book it just adds the spells to a library you can learn from in a tab instead of having to gently caress with carrying books around or stashing them or whatever.

yeah this is the Good kind of streamlining

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

they added a Freaking Skeletone as the new character in City Of Brass, buy the drat game folks

https://steamcommunity.com/games/301840/announcements/detail/1699446873495462803

Look at how happy the skeltal is :3:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sounds like TOME could use some of that good ol' Crawl-style eliminating of tedium and excess :grin:

Yeah ToME could use a few fat-trimming passes and big balance overhauls, to be honest. DarkGod and company don't do a bad job of this, though.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

The big problem I have with it mostly is the loving sloppy presentation. There’s a super popular mod that just cleans up the stat cards for all the items so you can actually parse a side-by-side comparison and it makes life so much easier.

Don't suppose you can link to that mod?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Believe it’s this one, Better Item Descriptions.
https://te4.org/games/addons/tome/better_item_desc

Thanks! Time to waste another Sunday trying out some of the DLC classes.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

why not both?

oh my god

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

tbh when getting through a couple nethack wins a decade ago, i found being required to read extensive guides to be really shite by the end. Still pretty much feel that way\

Yeah. The crawl devs sort of betray themselves when they place such heavy reliance on memorizing vaults, stage layouts, etc.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Hooplah posted:

pre-built setpieces and vaults are a big point in crawl's favor, imo

I agree with this, I just disagree that it's realistic to win crawl without "spoilers", which is what it's always paraded.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Which vaults need spoilers to clear?

It's not really about clearing them, it's about assessing their danger vs. other vaults.

This is actually something I think ToME does well. Vaults are typically not more dangerous than other areas, unless the game prompts you with a "This is SUPER dangerous, you should probably not do this", in which case it warns you pretty well.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

victrix posted:

So I loving love Card Quest, and I couldn't find what else the devs had done.

Turns out the designer is head designer at a mobile games company and it was just his inbetween project moving from one company to another a few years ago and now I am very sad :(

As I remember, they became a little jaded when the publisher they signed with for Card Quest stuck them with a deal that meant they basically saw none of the profits.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Been meaning to pick up Qud for a few more dozens of hours. Did they make True Men more viable by chance?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

it's crazy how making a player hit two reload buttons makes the gameplay so much more satisfying

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

X-Com is a roguelike.

If it were a roguelike you would gain bonuses and attributes after each failed run.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

nrook posted:

I hope you soon get the chance to identify your items

:laugh:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Is this the thread I saw Fell Seal recommended in? Is it good? I'm hankering for a good tactical RPG-esque game right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Hooplah posted:

i'm just gonna assume that's a reference to the terraria thread's favorite (only) prerelease streamer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BhRLs1uZQA
hopefully i'm not the only one that still thinks of champ.avi occasionally...

I still say "it's ya boy pbat" all the time :shobon: